inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: New Coke

Written By: Slater on 02/10/06 at 4:09 pm

For those that remember this marketing disaster, did you at all like the taste? As I recall, it was sweeter and reminded me somewhat of Pepsi.

Subject: Re: New Coke

Written By: Webstor on 02/10/06 at 5:15 pm

thats exactly what it tasted like.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/10/06 at 5:31 pm

It's pretty much what it tasted like.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 02/14/06 at 10:47 pm

Never actually had any new coke but its gotta be better than crystal pepsi ;)

Written By: Sister Morphine on 02/14/06 at 11:02 pm

Oh God, Crystal Pepsi was AWFUL.  My mom just had to buy like 2 cases of it, since she loved regular Pepsi so much, and I remember them sitting in our pantry for the longest time, because she had one can of it......hated it......and never touched the stuff again.  I tried it, and thought it tasted like dog poo......when we moved from that apartment to the one we were living in before we moved to Georgia, they were still sitting there in the pantry.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 02/14/06 at 11:09 pm

Oh God, Crystal Pepsi was AWFUL.  My mom just had to buy like 2 cases of it, since she loved regular Pepsi so much, and I remember them sitting in our pantry for the longest time, because she had one can of it......hated it......and never touched the stuff again.  I tried it, and thought it tasted like dog poo......when we moved from that apartment to the one we were living in before we moved to Georgia, they were still sitting there in the pantry.

Yeah all I ever had was one can too. Crystal Pepsi is the worst soda ever IMO

Written By: agoraphobicwhacko on 02/14/06 at 11:49 pm

New Coke was pretty good. It tasted like pepsi, but that was the point. Pepsi lovers could switch over to New Coke. Their crucial mistake was taking old Coke off the market when they introduced New Coke, and it alienated their fanbase. Had they had both cokes on the market in the mid 80's, it might have run pepsi out of business.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/15/06 at 2:42 am

Since I'm under 30, I can't remember New Coke.  I can't even remember Crystal Pepsi. 

Although C2 is kind of like New Coke, right? This decade also has a Cola War.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 02/15/06 at 11:03 am

New Coke was pretty good. It tasted like pepsi, but that was the point. Pepsi lovers could switch over to New Coke. Their crucial mistake was taking old Coke off the market when they introduced New Coke, and it alienated their fanbase. Had they had both cokes on the market in the mid 80's, it might have run pepsi out of business.

Yeah I think pepsi was pretty much lagging far behind coke in sales then but i'm not sure. If they were though that could have been the death-nail for pepsi

Written By: gmann on 02/15/06 at 11:31 am

I remember New Coke, but I don't believe I ever had it.

Maybe it's just me, but I think it was a dumb idea to change the Coke formula to taste more like Pepsi. Sure, you can go head-tohead with Pepsi, but why mess with a good thing? If the fanbase was alienated by the move, methinks the suits at Coke got exactly what  they deserved.  ;D  Coca-Cola Classic, indeed...

Written By: spaceace on 02/23/06 at 12:06 pm

I remember New Coke.  I hated it.  I believe it was back when Pepsi was testing a heck of alot of new products (along with memorable commercials) Coke had to try to keep up.  Biggest mistake Coca Cola ever made.  They should have done Cherry Coke instead of New Coke. (Cherry Coke came a few years later)

Written By: BCRichrocker on 02/23/06 at 12:26 pm

I think it may have been a big marketing stunt all along. Sure got Coke a lot of attention when they did it and it didn't take long before they went back to their "classic" formula exclusively. But it was kind of cool for a while to be able to go to the store and choose between New Coke and Coke "Classic".

Written By: spaceace on 02/23/06 at 12:36 pm

Remember the blind taste-test? :)

Written By: Bury_Manilow on 02/23/06 at 10:45 pm

I remember Crystal Pepsi (early '90's, I believe) and was not impressed by the taste.  Pepsi seemed to have jumped on the short-lived marketing trend at the time of introducing "clear" products, free of dyes and colors.  I know that there were quite a few cleaning products that did this; what else was there?

Written By: Sister Morphine on 02/23/06 at 10:48 pm

I remember Crystal Pepsi (early '90's, I believe) and was not impressed by the taste.  Pepsi seemed to have jumped on the short-lived marketing trend at the time of introducing "clear" products, free of dyes and colors.  I know that there were quite a few cleaning products that did this; what else was there?

There was a crystal clear gas that came out around that time, too if I recall correctly.

Written By: BCRichrocker on 02/23/06 at 11:23 pm

There was a clear Tab (basically Diet Coke) that was introduced for a very short time back then. I think if Crystal Pepsi would've caught on more and been successful, then a "regular" clear "Coke" would've followed and not just a clear Tab.

Written By: OliverDK on 02/24/06 at 3:12 am

I'm not sure this New Coke got to this site of the Atlantic, the only new Coke I remember was the disaster with Cherry Coke, so would someone please explain what it's all about.

Written By: BCRichrocker on 02/24/06 at 9:56 am

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Coke

Written By: OliverDK on 02/24/06 at 10:28 am

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Coke

Thanks

Written By: pumbaaj on 03/13/06 at 11:32 pm

I think this is now called "Coke II".  I could've sworn that I saw a display stand that said, "The great name of Coke with the great taste of Pepsi".  Why don't they remove the word "Classic" from "Coca Cola Classic" now that the new Coke has flopped??

Written By: Sister Morphine on 03/13/06 at 11:59 pm

I think this is now called "Coke II".  I could've sworn that I saw a display stand that said, "The great name of Coke with the great taste of Pepsi".  Why don't they remove the word "Classic" from "Coca Cola Classic" now that the new Coke has flopped??

Whoa, this stuff was around in the 80s and very early 90s.  I haven't seen this stuff on the market in over 20 years. 

Written By: Carl on 03/14/06 at 1:18 pm

All I know is I jumped for joy when they brought back the original formula! If it's not broke, don't fix it!!

Written By: CharmedPrue2001 on 03/15/06 at 9:28 pm

i know they made coke 2 how long did that last for?but any way coke now has lime in it and its soooo nasty and should have never been invented

Written By: spaceace on 03/16/06 at 12:13 pm

I mentioned New Coke to my freind who is a Cokeaholic.  I almost got my ass kicked. :-[

Check for new replies or respond here...