inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Crying over the 80s...

Written By: SarahJane87 on 02/11/06 at 10:12 pm

Does anyone here ever feel that you miss the 80s so much, that you just start crying about it? :\'( Or if you're like me and you've been born too late for the 80s, and you wish so desperately that you could have grown up in that era? When I saw that 'You're An 80s Child If' list, I found myself on the verge of teens, wishing I could have been around then. Believe it or not, I actually cried myself to sleep last night. I just don't think that the 90s or the 00s even come close to being what the 80s were like.

Subject: Re: Crying over the 80s...

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 02/11/06 at 10:14 pm

I can relate.  Sometimes I think back to when I was younger, and it makes me sad that I cannot rewind time.  I was born in 1977...so the 80's and early 90's were great years for me.  Yes, there are days when I long to be able to go back to what seemed like a simpler time, a time that held many memories for me.

Written By: SarahJane87 on 02/11/06 at 10:19 pm

My older sister was born in 1977 - she's ten years older than me. My mom liked 80s music, too - so that's what the three of us heard while I was growing up. My dad's taste in music was considerably different from the rest of us - but he wasn't home as much. I'm sure there maybe were some not-s-nice things about the 80s, but perhaps we tend to forget that.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 02/11/06 at 10:21 pm

yes, for the most part...it was pleasant times.  The music, movies, TV shows, cartoons, toys, everything was so much more memorable to me.  I mean..I feel bad for kids today with the choice of cartoons out there...they don't even compare to the ones that I grew up with. :-\\

Written By: velvetoneo on 02/11/06 at 10:23 pm

I feel that way having grown up in the 1990s with Disney classics like The Little Mermaid, etc. and the original Nicktoons and such. The kids today watch total sheesh.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 02/11/06 at 10:27 pm

I feel that way having grown up in the 1990s with Disney classics like The Little Mermaid, etc. and the original Nicktoons and such. The kids today watch total sheesh.

oh i know!  I sit down and watch stuff with my little boy and I am always like, "WTF...this doesn't even make sense" :o

Written By: Marty McFly on 02/11/06 at 10:32 pm

Oh yes, I think it's the general concept of time moving forward and nothing stops. Stuff will keep changing, getting less familar, people become older and (sadly) eventually passing away. Watching my own parents (albeit very slowly) turning from middle aged into "older".

Yeah, things like that definitely make me sad sometimes.

It's like driving into an unfamiliar neighborhood without a map, and looking behind you as the stuff you know gets to be smaller and further away. Only thing is, you know you can't turn around in this car.

I get very nostalgic, especially for the earlier 80's that I can't remember quite as well. I also like a good deal of '90s, at least up until 1996/97ish. That feels more like a good buddy's house, in that it's comfortable and fun, but not quite home. The 80's are like my real home.

Written By: Slater on 02/11/06 at 10:35 pm

Heck, in the 80's I was in my 20's and had the most fun I've ever had. So yes, I tend to look fondly at that decade. Of course, some fads are probably best forgotten such as parachute pants and break dancing. I kind of liked the women's "big hair" styles though.  :)

Written By: SarahJane87 on 02/11/06 at 10:41 pm

Well, at least there is The Cartoon Network that airs the classics for today's children - but it kind of does take the fun out of Saturday Morning Cartoons and After-School Cartoons. It would be nice to see the 80s make a revival - with maybe new 80s-sounding bands coming out. BTW, is anyone here disappointed at how Pizza Hut had change their logo, to make it 'more contemporary'? It's like, please! Just leave well enough alone! If it ain't broke, don't fix it! I do wonder how long classic rock and 80s stations will last. I mean, a lot of oldies stations have 'upgraded' their format from '50s and 60s' to '60s and 70s' - so it does get a little discouraging. It's not that I particularly like 50s music - but if they start to phase out 50s musiic, will 60s music be next? Then 70s, then 80s? I hope not!

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 02/11/06 at 10:47 pm

BTW, is anyone here disappointed at how Pizza Hut had change their logo, to make it 'more contemporary'? It's like, please! Just leave well enough alone! If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

oh wow! that is ironic that you mentioned that...as, I recently posted the same exact thing in a thread...I even made a thread up for old/retro restaurant signs/logos that have unfortunately changed. I hate when places do that...it is depressing. I love, however, when you happen to stumble upon one of the older ones...it makes me feel all warm inside! :)

Written By: Marty McFly on 02/11/06 at 10:47 pm

^ Yeah, I think oldies is 50s, 60s, and maybe some earlier 70s. A good number of the classic rock in the 70's feels still way too new to be "oldies".

Now, when I start hearing Lionel Richie's "All Night Long", John Fogerty's "Centerfield" or Phil Collins on an oldies station, that is a little disheartening, since I can at least partly recall when that was new. ;)

Hits stations seem to go back about two decades. I don't think as many early 80's songs are on there as they used to be (circa 1994, even late 70's songs still showed up on Today's Hits/Yesterday's Favorites type stations).

I have wondered what typical radio will be like circa 2030. Will there just be more stations to compensate for more music, or will anything over, say 40 years old just be deemed irrelevant?

P.S. I like the old Pizza Hut logo too. Same with Burger King. :)

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/11/06 at 10:51 pm

Oh yes, I think it's the general concept of time moving forward and nothing stops. Stuff will keep changing, getting less familar, people become older and (sadly) eventually passing away. Watching my own parents (albeit very slowly) turning from middle aged into "older".

It's like driving into an unfamiliar neighborhood without a map, and looking behind you as the stuff you know gets to be smaller and further away. Only thing is, you know you can't turn around in this car.

I get very nostalgic, especially for the earlier 80's that I can't remember quite as well. I also like a good deal of '90s, at least up until 1996/97ish. That feels more like a good buddy's house, in that it's comfortable and fun, but not quite home. The 80's are like my real home.

You know what saddens me is that in a matter of a few decades the 20th Century will be lumped in with the 1600s, 1700s, 1800s, etc. as one of those "old" centuries.  Lately, I've realized that even I have minimal 20th Century credit, even though my first 10-11 years were spent in it.

Think about it: in 2010, four years from now, a person born in 1980 will be 30.  So nobody under 30 will even be able to remember 1982 or 1983.  In 2020, a person who was 17 in 1999 will 38.  That's almost mid-life (well, unless we start living to 100 instead of 80, which is possible if not probable).  

At first I was really excited about 2006, but now I'm kind of sad that we're five years away from the 20th Century.  It doesn't take long to make something history.
I wonder if 2006 will really be thought of as 21st Century in 2106 or simply as "like the 1900s" though.  Hmmm.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/11/06 at 10:55 pm

^ Yeah, I think oldies is 50s, 60s, and maybe some earlier 70s. A good number of the classic rock in the 70's feels still way too new to be "oldies".

Now, when I start hearing Lionel Richie's "All Night Long", John Fogerty's "Centerfield" or Phil Collins on an oldies station, that is a little disheartening, since I can at least partly recall when that was new. ;)

Hits stations seem to go back about two decades. I don't think as many early 80's songs are on there as they used to be (circa 1994, even late 70's songs still showed up on Today's Hits/Yesterday's Favorites type stations).

I have wondered what typical radio will be like circa 2030. Will there just be more stations to compensate for more music, or will anything over, say 40 years old just be deemed irrelevant?

P.S. I like the old Pizza Hut logo too. Same with Burger King. :)

You know what's funny?  Anyone born from 1950 to 1995 would probably all more or less agree on what "oldies" is!

To me, '40s and before is not "oldies", it's "ancients".  ;D 

'80s is not oldies because even though it's not my time, it's pretty close to it in the long run.  '90s is not oldies because I existed in the '90s and a lot of '90s music sounds like '00s music.

I would say Oldies to me is 1955-1974, with some 1975-1982 thrown in here and there.  "Retro" to me is 1976-1990/'91, "modern" is 1991/'92 to 2001.  "Newies" is 2002-present.

Written By: Marty McFly on 02/11/06 at 10:55 pm

You know what saddens me is that in a matter of a few decades the 20th Century will be lumped in with the 1600s, 1700s, 1800s, etc. as one of those "old" centuries.  Lately, I've realized that even I have minimal 20th Century credit, even though my first 10-11 years were spent in it.

Think about it: in 2010, four years from now, a person born in 1980 will be 30.  So nobody under 30 will even be able to remember 1982 or 1983.  In 2020, a person who was 17 in 1999 will 38.  That's almost mid-life (well, unless we start living to 100 instead of 80, which is possible if not probable).  

At first I was really excited about 2006, but now I'm kind of sad that we're five years away from the 20th Century.  It doesn't take long to make something history.
I wonder if 2006 will really be thought of as 21st Century in 2106 or simply as "like the 1900s" though.  Hmmm.

Definitely. Even to remember ANY 80's, you'd have to be at least 19, and at least 23 to remember it well. 29 and 33 for the 70's, etc.

To think a modern 10 year old wouldn't even remember the 90's, or only a very teeny bit, is scary too. I think because pop culture is moving so slow, that almost makes it seem like time isn't really passing, so in a sense it's even more like a slap in the face when we realize 1990 was already sixteen years ago, etc.

Whereas in 1986, I think 1970 would've seemed like 16 years ago because of all the social/political/technological changes.

Written By: SarahJane87 on 02/11/06 at 10:59 pm

Also, do you guys remember Hardee's? I was very sad when I found out that Hardee's had gone out of business. :(

Written By: Slater on 02/11/06 at 11:03 pm

Hardees is actually alive and (apparently) well, depending on where you live:

www.hardees.com

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/11/06 at 11:09 pm

Definitely. Even to remember ANY 80's, you'd have to be at least 19, and at least 23 to remember it well. 29 and 33 for the 70's, etc.

To think a modern 10 year old wouldn't even remember the 90's, or only a very teeny bit, is scary too. I think because pop culture is moving so slow, that almost makes it seem like time isn't really passing, so in a sense it's even more like a slap in the face when we realize 1990 was already sixteen years ago, etc.

Whereas in 1986, I think 1970 would've seemed like 16 years ago because of all the social/political/technological changes.

I know!

I'm actually not too surprised 1990 is sixteen years ago, as it was still pretty much the '80s in everything but date.  When it's 20 years ago though that'll truly be weird,  especially because it means the part of the '90s I remember (1993/'94-1999) will be 20 years ago in no time.  And it's certainly weird that 1996 is ten years ago, especially considering I can remember 1996.

Yeah it's so strange to realize that the 9-year old of 2006 probably can't even remember the New Millenium!  Actually, I can remember only little before 1997 (1994-96 is etchy and scattered, but not always unclear.  1993 is really vague), and I consider 1997-1999 to be a little less "true" than 1991-1996. 

Yeah, in 1986 even though the '60s were practically yesterday in a historical sense they probably seemed like 100 years ago.  Today, 1990 seems like maye 12 years ago.
The '80s seem like what they are today, 20 years ago, but I think even they are more like the '90s and '00s than the '60s and '70s.

Written By: Marty McFly on 02/11/06 at 11:09 pm

I've heard of Hardee's, but never been there (they never had any in California to my knowledge, but much of my family lives in the Ft Lauderdale, Florida area, and I think they're around there).

Is it kinda like A&W (i.e. fast food/fries/burgers, but sort of a walkup-styled place)?

Also, I feel that way with electronics stores, mom and pop video stores, arcades and mall music shops dying. It really is like a part of your past/childhood dying.

P.S. Listen to the song "Come Dancing" by the Kinks (80's comeback for them), that totally describes how I've felt on this sort of thing.

Written By: Marty McFly on 02/11/06 at 11:12 pm

I know!

I'm actually not too surprised 1990 is sixteen years ago, as it was still pretty much the '80s in everything but date.  When it's 20 years ago though that'll truly be weird,  especially because it means the part of the '90s I remember (1993/'94-1999) will be 20 years ago in no time.  And it's certainly weird that 1996 is ten years ago, especially considering I can remember 1996.

Yeah it's so strange to realize that the 9-year old of 2006 probably can't even remember the New Millenium!  Actually, I can remember only little before 1997 (1994-96 is etchy and scattered, but not always unclear.  1993 is really vague), and I consider 1997-1999 to be a little less "true" than 1991-1996. 

Yeah, in 1986 even though the '60s were practically yesterday in a historical sense they probably seemed like 100 years ago.  Today, 1990 seems like maye 12 years ago.
The '80s seem like what they are today, 20 years ago, but I think even they are more like the '90s and '00s than the '60s and '70s.

Yeah, 1990 seems like 8-12 years ago to me.

I agree the 80's overall share more in common with today. The mindset and the world in general is actually pretty close to 20-25 years ago. It was probably a little more 60s/70s like in look, or in that it was still a "rock" culture.

Written By: SarahJane87 on 02/11/06 at 11:18 pm

It is sad that rock music is no longer the dominant style of popular music. My sister told me that she misses the days in the 80s where you could flip the radio dial, and easily find a song that you like on another station. Now there's only one station that listenable to her in her area.

Written By: Marty McFly on 02/11/06 at 11:20 pm

^ You basically have to turn the dial every five minutes to KEEP finding a good song now. ;)

I also basically just listen to "classic rock" and "soft rock" (because today's soft rock station tends to play Top 40 stuff from the 70s, 80s and the better 90s stuff).

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/11/06 at 11:20 pm

Yeah, 1990 seems like 8-12 years ago to me.

I agree the 80's overall share more in common with today. The mindset and the world in general is actually pretty close to 20-25 years ago. It was probably a little more 60s/70s like in look, or in that it was still a "rock" culture.

Yeah, the '80s probably look more like the '60s or '70s.

I'm always refreshed though, when I see how similar people acted in the '80s.  The only real differences are the '80s were a little more racist, less politically correct and a little less environmentally conscious.  One thing that's better about today though is that it's cool to be smart today.  As much as I hate the word "Retarded" being used as a slang word, it really does reflect the fact being dumb isn't cool anymore.  In the '80s and early '90s it was cool to be stupid, as long as you weren't chronically stupid.  Hell, being a "Hipster" is about being both smart and cool, which really is what the '00s and in some way the '90s is all about for youth.  A lot of uber-cool "Hipster" types of the past decade would have been shoved into lockers in the '80s!

Aside from that, the mindset is pretty much like today, even though the atmosphere of 1980-86 is more like the '60s and '70s.

The '80s also, like you said, share ties to the '60s and '70s because of the "rock" culture.  The '90s were able to copy the '70s because they were still pretty rockish, especially compared to now.  The '00s can't really do the same with the '80s, so they just play on the more urban tones of the '90s, even though more kids probably live in suburbs now than ever in history!

Written By: Marty McFly on 02/11/06 at 11:29 pm

Yeah, the '80s probably look more like the '60s or '70s.

I'm always refreshed though, when I see how similar people acted in the '80s.  The only real differences are the '80s were a little more racist, less politically correct and a little less environmentally conscious.  One thing that's better about today though is that it's cool to be smart today.  As much as I hate the word "Retarded" being used as a slang word, it really does reflect the fact being dumb isn't cool anymore.  In the '80s and early '90s it was cool to be stupid, as long as you weren't chronically stupid.  Hell, being a "Hipster" is about being both smart and cool, which really is what the '00s and in some way the '90s is all about for youth.  A lot of uber-cool "Hipster" types of the past decade would have been shoved into lockers in the '80s!

Aside from that, the mindset is pretty much like today, even though the atmosphere of 1980-86 is more like the '60s and '70s.

The '80s also, like you said, share ties to the '60s and '70s because of the "rock" culture.  The '90s were able to copy the '70s because they were still pretty rockish, especially compared to now.  The '00s can't really do the same with the '80s, so they just play on the more urban tones of the '90s, even though more kids probably live in suburbs now than ever in history!

I agree about the "smart is nerdy" mentality of the 80's at times. I think that kind of bullying was more done by the jocks, though. Anthony Michael Hall is a perfect example of a cool nerd/geek - today he'd probably be more accepted/liked than back then.

Maybe the change is due to computers/Internet/cellphones being so popular in the last 6 to 10 years?

If you've seen some of the "Geek to Chic makeover/look at me now" type shows on Jenny Jones, Ricki Lake, Maury, or even the very early Jerry Springer (mid 90s and earlier), there were tons of 30 year old jocks/bullies who still acted as dumb/mean spirited as they probably did back then.

That was when I started to realize not everyone in the 80's was nice/innocent. However, the percentage of people like that is higher now, even if they're not all as bad individually, if that makes sense.

P.S. I'd say 1980-85 is a bit more "retro" in look. 1987-89 is more 90s. 1986 is the cutoff, maybe '87 too.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 02/11/06 at 11:29 pm

Also, do you guys remember Hardee's? I was very sad when I found out that Hardee's had gone out of business. :(

yes...the one that is closest to us went out of business, however, there are still 2 that are in the area. I liked their burgers.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/11/06 at 11:42 pm

I agree about the "smart is nerdy" mentality of the 80's at times. I think that kind of bullying was more done by the jocks, though. Anthony Michael Hall is a perfect example of a cool nerd/geek - today he'd probably be more accepted/liked than back then.

Maybe the change is due to computers/Internet/cellphones being so popular in the last 6 to 10 years?

If you've seen some of the "Geek to Chic makeover/look at me now" type shows on Jenny Jones, Ricki Lake, Maury, or even the very early Jerry Springer (mid 90s and earlier), there were tons of 30 year old jocks/bullies who still acted as dumb/mean spirited as they probably did back then.

That was when I started to realize not everyone in the 80's was nice/innocent. However, the percentage of people like that is higher now, even if they're not all as bad individually, if that makes sense.

P.S. I'd say 1980-85 is a bit more "retro" in look. 1987-89 is more 90s. 1986 is the cutoff, maybe '87 too.

I agree about Anthony Michael Hall ... he doesn't even look like a geek (actually, in Edward Scissorhands he plays a bully type!)

Today, I wouldn't quite say it's cool to be a "nerd" as in read books and stuff, but people won't hate you for it either.  They'll just think you're weird and then go hang with their wigger friends.  We're not quite at the point where being dumb will make you a social outcast, but most kids today would probably get pissed off if a "cool kid" beat up a nerd, for instance.  Partly because people are more sensitive today (in this case, in a good way).

You know what? I kind of miss nerds being uncool.  It made it more fun to be a nerd, but then again I was never picked on for being geeky. In fact, my older brother, who's always been the "Cool" sort (but has always been bright too, but never into smart stuff either until recently, if you know what I mean) has lately been becoming quite the indie/hipster/retro kind of guy, which has kind of made me feel uneasy since that's always what I've been!  ;D

Written By: Marty McFly on 02/12/06 at 12:28 am

I agree about Anthony Michael Hall ... he doesn't even look like a geek (actually, in Edward Scissorhands he plays a bully type!)

Today, I wouldn't quite say it's cool to be a "nerd" as in read books and stuff, but people won't hate you for it either.  They'll just think you're weird and then go hang with their wigger friends.  We're not quite at the point where being dumb will make you a social outcast, but most kids today would probably get pissed off if a "cool kid" beat up a nerd, for instance.  Partly because people are more sensitive today (in this case, in a good way).

You know what? I kind of miss nerds being uncool.  It made it more fun to be a nerd, but then again I was never picked on for being geeky. In fact, my older brother, who's always been the "Cool" sort (but has always been bright too, but never into smart stuff either until recently, if you know what I mean) has lately been becoming quite the indie/hipster/retro kind of guy, which has kind of made me feel uneasy since that's always what I've been!  ;D

True, I think it's cooler to like computers/technology, and to be "smart" in that sense. The super studious-type nerd is probably just "less uncool". People will stick up for him and talk to him and all, but wouldn't necesarilly hang out with him either (the last sentence is actually kinda accurate in describing my high school experience). ;)

Written By: JohnTaylorsHeart on 02/12/06 at 6:51 am

Does anyone here ever feel that you miss the 80s so much, that you just start crying about it? :\'

Yes

Written By: JohnTaylorsHeart on 02/12/06 at 6:53 am

and it makes me sad that I cannot rewind time. Yes, there are days when I long to be able to go back to what seemed like a simpler time, a time that held many memories for me.

I know what you mean. I feel the same way. I would give anything. Just to go back.

Written By: Cafe80s on 02/12/06 at 8:20 am

Wow that was an excellent analogy. I can totally relate though. Recently i went for a bike ride on my beautifully restored early 80s/late 70s Mongoose BMX back to my old primary school(elementary school in the U.S. i think) in the suburb i grew up in & i rode around in the school for over an hour. Seeing certain things again for the first time in around 17 or so years almost brought tears to my eyes. It's almost like in my mind i was hoping that if i stood in the exact same places i used to play just like i did then, i might just be magiacally transported back in time.  I even looked into the class rooms & they had changed ie tables aragned differently, different posters on the walsl, some class rooms repainted etc. There were a lot of things that were still the same though like the spiral maze painted on the ground that we used to play games in. I was compeled to childishly run around & through the painted maze & if anyone had been watching they probably would have thought something like what's up with this fruit cake. I really really miss that decade.

Written By: Haman on 02/12/06 at 2:47 pm

Does anyone here ever feel that you miss the 80s so much, that you just start crying about it? (...) Believe it or not, I actually cried myself to sleep last night. I just don't think that the 90s or the 00s even come close to being what the 80s were like.

I can understand you perfectly.

These feelings, however, are not unavoidable. You can always exert your creativity -or hire someone else's with money- in order to wrap yourself in a closed, total environment which would recreate the 80's.

It may cost you time and money, but is your happiness not worth it?

Written By: Tia on 02/12/06 at 2:49 pm

i sorta feel that way about the 70s. they rocked! the cars were better, the movies and music were better. and everyone wore HUGE collars! and there were iron-ons.

most of us actually weren't too keen on the 80s when they were going on. much as everyone is crackin' on the 00s now, because we're in them.

Written By: Marty McFly on 02/12/06 at 5:41 pm

I think one more thing that makes it depressing is the people from the 80's getting older.

From the bits I remember personally and all I have seen since (i.e. John Hughes movies, Full House type sitcoms), the kid/high school/college crowd of the '80s really seemed fun. It's kind of a shame you can't really hang out with them anymore, at least not on the same level.

Just to make it easy, we'll call a "teen of the '80s" someone who was as young as 13 in 1989 and as old as 19 in 1980 (roughly age 30-45 now).

Of course they're all still relatively young, but it's a bit sad to think they're all 100% grownups now. This doesn't mean they can't/don't have fun or anything, but it's not like a 40 year old will be going to parties every night or crusing with the guys (though in many cases that's a good thing, if they have a family, etc).

But what really I still have a hard time grasping is the fact that they're really starting to be "the parents of teenagers" today. I don't think of someone born in 1970 as that much older than I am, so yeah, it freaks me out in a way.

Written By: Tia on 02/12/06 at 5:51 pm

some folks from the 80s have gone on to have really nice careers though. i love matthew broderick's stuff (we'll pretend "godzilla" never happened), molly ringwald does serious stage acting, and the gogos are still playing!

i wonder whatever happened to john hughes. seems to me he could still be making romantic comedies, people will never get tired of romantic comedies.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 02/12/06 at 7:02 pm

I think one more thing that makes it depressing is the people from the 80's getting older.

From the bits I remember personally and all I have seen since (i.e. John Hughes movies, Full House type sitcoms), the kid/high school/college crowd of the '80s really seemed fun. It's kind of a shame you can't really hang out with them anymore, at least not on the same level.

Just to make it easy, we'll call a "teen of the '80s" someone who was as young as 13 in 1989 and as old as 19 in 1980 (roughly age 30-45 now).

Of course they're all still relatively young, but it's a bit sad to think they're all 100% grownups now. This doesn't mean they can't/don't have fun or anything, but it's not like a 40 year old will be going to parties every night or crusing with the guys (though in many cases that's a good thing, if they have a family, etc).

But what really I still have a hard time grasping is the fact that they're really starting to be "the parents of teenagers" today. I don't think of someone born in 1970 as that much older than I am, so yeah, it freaks me out in a way.

I can't believe how much you and I think alike on stuff like this. I think about this all the time, actually.  I watch movies from the 80's and think to myself...."they look like they are having so much fun"...and then I wish that I could have been in that situation, etc. ;)

Written By: Marty McFly on 02/12/06 at 7:08 pm

I can't believe how much you and I think alike on stuff like this. I think about this all the time, actually.  I watch movies from the 80's and think to myself...."they look like they are having so much fun"...and then I wish that I could have been in that situation, etc. ;)

Yeah I know. :)

Maybe that's one reason I (even subconciously) have tried to do all I can to not "seem older" in the last several years.

I don't want someone who knew me in 1994 to think, "Man, he's not as fun/young/cool as he used to be!" Actually, aside from biological age, I'd probably more that way now than I was at 12 or 13, LOL. I have been in the opposite situation, where I haven't seen someone in awhile, and they're totally different. So it's like I "lost" them forever. That is indescribably sad. :(

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 02/12/06 at 7:25 pm

Yeah I know. :)

Maybe that's one reason I (even subconciously) have tried to do all I can to not "seem older" in the last several years.

I don't want someone who knew me in 1994 to think, "Man, he's not as fun/young/cool as he used to be!" Actually, aside from biological age, I'd probably more that way now than I was at 12 or 13, LOL. I have been in the opposite situation, where I haven't seen someone in awhile, and they're totally different. So it's like I "lost" them forever. That is indescribably sad. :(

see, that's the same with me...I am nearing 30...yet I don't really feel much older than 14 or 15...and I would love to be able to go back to those years....I would have done so much differently.  Whenever I see people my age that I graduated with, etc...they almost always look SO much older than me. Infact, I usually make the comment..."OMG, they look SO old now"....but when I look in the mirror..I don't look hardly at all older than I did at 14...I often wonder if they think the same thing when they look at themselves in the mirror? ???  It's just that most of the guys that I graduated with are starting to have thinning hair, have put on a lot of weight, and even lots of the girls..just appear so much older.
I am very young at heart....I still giggle like a teenager..and I feel very comfortable hanging out with people younger than me...and even acting silly along with them sometimes. When I think about how old I actually am...sometimes I can hardly even believe it. I think that even old people still feel that way sometimes....like, they are 70-80 on the outside...but they still feel like a teenager on the inside (minus all of the aches and pains).

Written By: Tia on 02/12/06 at 7:27 pm

i feel much younger at heart now than i did when i was a teenager. back then i was sullen and took stuff way too seriously.

Written By: Marty McFly on 02/12/06 at 7:37 pm

see, that's the same with me...I am nearing 30...yet I don't really feel much older than 14 or 15...and I would love to be able to go back to those years....I would have done so much differently.  Whenever I see people my age that I graduated with, etc...they almost always look SO much older than me. Infact, I usually make the comment..."OMG, they look SO old now"....but when I look in the mirror..I don't look hardly at all older than I did at 14...I often wonder if they think the same thing when they look at themselves in the mirror? ???  It's just that most of the guys that I graduated with are starting to have thinning hair, have put on a lot of weight, and even lots of the girls..just appear so much older.
I am very young at heart....I still giggle like a teenager..and I feel very comfortable hanging out with people younger than me...and even acting silly along with them sometimes. When I think about how old I actually am...sometimes I can hardly even believe it. I think that even old people still feel that way sometimes....like, they are 70-80 on the outside...but they still feel like a teenager on the inside (minus all of the aches and pains).

Oh totally. I almost feel left out among my peer group sometimes now. Like they're in the passing lane and I'm stalled in the emergency lane. ;)

As far as ways of thinking or looking at the world go, I've always been pretty mature/responsible. But just personality-wise, I haven't felt much of a change, if any, in the past ten years (like I said, in certain ways, I'm probably more of a "kid" now than I was at age 10 or 12 - ya know, when I really was one).

Yeah, I also often suppress a giggle at quasi sexual words/situations, or dumb jokes. There seems to be a preconceived notion in some people that you're supposed to be "above" that after a certain age.

There's a generalization based on how your peers act too. When others are a certain way, it almost sets the standard for a given age. That's why it kinda annoys me to see people my age starting to get "authoritive" careers (teachers, policemen, etc). Of course that's not a knock on those professions at all, but I worry when the general population sees them in a role like that, or just acting older/less fun/more adultlike, I don't want them thinking I'm like that too just because of my biological age.

Even though I'm still only 24 (most people think I'm about 19-21 anyway), it's like when people call me "Sir" at work, it's like "Ewwww. I'm not that old yet, am I?" ;D

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 02/12/06 at 7:43 pm

Oh totally. I almost feel left out among my peer group sometimes now. Like they're in the passing lane and I'm stalled in the emergency lane. ;)

As far as ways of thinking or looking at the world go, I've always been pretty mature/responsible. But just personality-wise, I haven't felt much of a change, if any, in the past ten years (like I said, in certain ways, I'm probably more of a "kid" now than I was at age 10 or 12 - ya know, when I really was one).

Yeah, I also often suppress a giggle at quasi sexual words, or dumb jokes.

I also have noticed a preconceived generalization based on others. I mean, when other people a given age act a certain way, it almost sets the standard.

I hate when I see people my age starting to get "authoritive" careers (teachers, policemen, etc). Of course that's not a knock on those professions at all, but I worry when people see them in a role like that, or just acting older/less fun/more adultlike, I don't want them thinking I'm like that too just because of my age.

Even though I'm still only 24 (most people think I'm about 19-21 anyway), it's like when people call me "Sir" at work, it's like "Ewwww. I'm not that old yet, am I?" ;D

I feel the same way.  Sometimes it depresses me when I hear that the people who are the same age as me....have these big corporate 6 figure jobs....it seems almost unreal...and in my mind I think that those jobs are for...you know....those old balding middle-aged men...yet, I am quickly approaching that age myself.  Everybody seems so sophisticated and like you said, they are passing by, while I remain stagnant (or so it seems).  I just can't see myself ever being THAT mature...I mean, I know when to be mature..but I know when to have fun as well. It's funny though...I hear myself saying things that my mom used to say, and I find myself becoming more like my mom (settled into my family, raising a nearly 4 year old, etc.)...that's about the only aspect of my life where I can say that I have changed and am showing aspects of maturity...having a family/children will definitely do that to you...very quickly. ;)

Written By: Marty McFly on 02/12/06 at 7:54 pm

I feel the same way.  Sometimes it depresses me when I hear that the people who are the same age as me....have these big corporate 6 figure jobs....it seems almost unreal...and in my mind I think that those jobs are for...you know....those old balding middle-aged men...yet, I am quickly approaching that age myself.  Everybody seems so sophisticated and like you said, they are passing by, while I remain stagnant (or so it seems).  I just can't see myself ever being THAT mature...I mean, I know when to be mature..but I know when to have fun as well. It's funny though...I hear myself saying things that my mom used to say, and I find myself becoming more like my mom (settled into my family, raising a nearly 4 year old, etc.)...that's about the only aspect of my life where I can say that I have changed and am showing aspects of maturity...having a family/children will definitely do that to you...very quickly. ;)

Yep. I think with me what happened was not realizing the difference between "entertainers age" and "real age" -- I followed the former one a little too closely when I was younger. ;D

In other words, I would always think about someone like Steven Tyler, George Carlin, Dick Clark, etc. and think, Well, they're in their 50's or more. If they're still cool at that age, I've got nothing to worry about! As a kid, I thought everyone in the 20's would be like Pauly Shore, Wayne's World or the Police Academy cast. For the 30's, I thought of Seinfeld, Jim Carrey or Weird Al Yankovic.

Also, the fact that my own parents and the rest of my family has always been "young" for their age (both personality as well as things they like). This probably blindsided me to the reality that it's not the way it normally is.

But hey, I'm slowly adjusting. ;) Seriously, it's easier now than it was when I was 18. I felt so ancient then, just from the idea of being a "legal adult".

EDIT:
On a totally random sidenote, baldness is happening WAY earlier now than it used to. I'm not sure why. One of my friends knows a guy who started losing his hair when he was 17 or 18! That had to be hard on the poor guy. I think this is one reason alot of guys get buzzcuts these days.

Written By: Australian80sChild on 02/13/06 at 12:16 am

Longevity is an interesting thought - it seems very possible that our lives will be extended quite a bit - imagine saying "I was in high school 90 years ago" when you are 108

Written By: Donnie_Darko on 02/13/06 at 12:46 am

Yep. I think with me what happened was not realizing the difference between "entertainers age" and "real age" -- I followed the former one a little too closely when I was younger. ;D

In other words, I would always think about someone like Steven Tyler, George Carlin, Dick Clark, etc. and think, Well, they're in their 50's or more. If they're still cool at that age, I've got nothing to worry about! As a kid, I thought everyone in the 20's would be like Pauly Shore, Wayne's World or the Police Academy cast. For the 30's, I thought of Seinfeld, Jim Carrey or Weird Al Yankovic.

Also, the fact that my own parents and the rest of my family has always been "young" for their age (both personality as well as things they like). This probably blindsided me to the reality that it's not the way it normally is.

But hey, I'm slowly adjusting. ;) Seriously, it's easier now than it was when I was 18. I felt so ancient then, just from the idea of being a "legal adult".

EDIT:
On a totally random sidenote, baldness is happening WAY earlier now than it used to. I'm not sure why. One of my friends knows a guy who started losing his hair when he was 17 or 18! That had to be hard on the poor guy. I think this is one reason alot of guys get buzzcuts these days.

That analogy about being in a neighborhood and seeing familiarity pass by is really powerful and sad.  :)  :(

It is true that no matter time period you're in, it will eventually be seen as old, even if it's in such a modern time as the 1980s or 1990s.  Even today will someday become old :(

But, if people live to be 100, it might not happen so quick :)

Written By: SarahJane87 on 02/13/06 at 1:51 am

I've heard some people mention that they believe that anyone born after 2000 will have the capacity to live 1000 years. It does seem a little far-fetched - but our lifespans could very well increase.

Written By: Tia on 02/13/06 at 1:57 am

one thousand years? wow.

Written By: Watcher29 on 02/13/06 at 7:34 am

Oh some times I think back to when I was younger
Life was so much simpler then
Dad would be up at dawn
He'd be watering the lawn
Or maybe going fishing again

Oh and mom would be fixing up something in the kitchen
Fresh biscuits or hot apple pie
And I'd spend all day long in the basement
Torturing rats with a hack-saw
And pulling the wings off of flies

Those were the good old days
The years go by but the memory stays
And those were the good old days

I can still remember good old Mr. Fender
Who ran the corner grocery store
Oh, he'd stroll down the aisle with a big friendly smile
And he'd say "howdy" when you walked in the door

Always treated me nice, gave me kindly advice
I don?t know why I set fire to his place
Oh I'll never forget the day I bashed in his head
Well you should've seen the look on his face

Let me tell ya now

Do you remember sweet Michelle
She was my high school romance
She was fun to talk to and nice to smell
So I took her to the homecoming dance

Then I tied her to a chair and I shaved off all her hair
And I left her in the desert all alone
Well sometimes in my dreams
I can still hear the screams
Oh I wonder if she ever made it home

I tell ya

Let me tell ya buddy

- "Weird" Al Yankovic, "The Good Old Days"

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 02/13/06 at 2:50 pm

I can relate to a lot of everything you have all mentioned.

- Driving by my childhood schools (I went to two different elementary schools)
- Driving by my old childhood homes (yeah, moved a few times, too, lol)

Just thinking of viewing things through the eyes of a child and now viewing it as through the eyes of an adult is all so strange, but also so familiar. You soak things in as a child, but as an adult you learn to reflect.

Written By: Donnie_Darko on 02/13/06 at 4:02 pm

I've heard some people mention that they believe that anyone born after 2000 will have the capacity to live 1000 years. It does seem a little far-fetched - but our lifespans could very well increase.

I'd say more like 100 years.

Written By: Class of 84 on 02/15/06 at 11:56 pm

Generally, when I start really missing the 80's, that's when I come back to this web site, to get in touch with others like you who feel the same way, have a lot of the same memories, liked the same songs, experienced the same events.  I agree that one of the things I miss the most about 80's music is being able to turn on the radio and listening to music hour after hour that you really enjoyed, only having to occasionally turn to the other top 40 station when  a song you didn't like came on. Now, I'm lucky to find a song I like once every 20 minutes or more.

Written By: Tia on 02/16/06 at 12:00 am

Generally, when I start really missing the 80's, that's when I come back to this web site, to get in touch with others like you who feel the same way, have a lot of the same memories, liked the same songs, experienced the same events.  I agree that one of the things I miss the most about 80's music is being able to turn on the radio and listening to music hour after hour that you really enjoyed, only having to occasionally turn to the other top 40 station when  a song you didn't like came on. Now, I'm lucky to find a song I like once every 20 minutes or more.
have you been to fast-rewind.com? i think you'd like it.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 02/16/06 at 1:36 pm

Just thinking of viewing things through the eyes of a child and now viewing it as through the eyes of an adult is all so strange, but also so familiar. You soak things in as a child, but as an adult you learn to reflect.

I've noticed that too. Even though I've only been an actual adult for a few months now its still weird to drive by my childhood home(which I basically drive by every day) because I think about how happy I used to be back in those days compared to now. Dont mean to sound sappy but its true.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/16/06 at 3:23 pm

I've noticed that too. Even though I've only been an actual adult for a few months now its still weird to drive by my childhood home(which I basically drive by every day) because I think about how happy I used to be back in those days compared to now. Dont mean to sound sappy but its true.

I remember going back to the Bay area and seeing my house, in 1999.  We moved away in 1998, but because I was only 9 upon coming back and the trip was about 1000 miles it seemed amazing to me.  The funny thing was, it was exactly the same then, like going back.  It may of seemed a little smaller.  When I went there in 2002, it seemed like a mini version of what I remember from when we originally lived there (1995-'98, but 1995 and even 1996 is scattered memories).

Written By: Marty McFly on 02/16/06 at 3:28 pm

I remember going back to the Bay area and seeing my house, in 1999.  We moved away in 1998, but because I was only 9 upon coming back and the trip was about 1000 miles it seemed amazing to me.  The funny thing was, it was exactly the same then, like going back.  It may of seemed a little smaller.  When I went there in 2002, it seemed like a mini version of what I remember from when we originally lived there (1995-'98, but 1995 and even 1996 is scattered memories).

Oh I know exactly how that is. I think it's the combination of age and becoming used to something.

I lived in several houses in my life in different cities across the Bay Area and Sacramento. My favorite though, was in the town of Rohnert Park (we were there from June 1986-October 1990 -- age 4 3/4 to 9).

Anyway, in '94 when I was 12 my parents and I were in the area and I wanted to drive by the house to take pictures (which I still have). I just remembered thinking, Sure it was a bigger than normal house, but not THAT big. Not like it was to me when I was 5.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/16/06 at 3:30 pm

Oh I know exactly how that is. I think it's the combination of age and becoming used to something.

I lived in several houses in my life in different cities across the Bay Area and Sacramento. My favorite though, was in the town of Rohnert Park (we were there from June 1986-October 1990 -- age 4 3/4 to 9).

Anyway, in '94 when I was 12 my parents and I were in the area and I wanted to drive by the house to take pictures (which I still have). I just remembered thinking, Sure it was a bigger than normal house, but not THAT big. Not like it was to me when I was 5.

Wanna hear a story about big houses?

Back in early 1998 I think, my millionaire uncle moved into this new house.  I was 8 years old then, so it seemed like a tower or something.  When I came back, eh, it was big and nice, but not gigantic.  Certainly top-notch, but not a palace.

Written By: Marty McFly on 02/16/06 at 3:37 pm

^ I had the same feeling, even when I was still living in that house. When people saw it from the outside, they said, "Man, that house is HUGE!" ;D

I think once you get used to anything, it's no big deal. Actually, many things are like that - I once heard it said "You always want what you don't have", and I think there's some truth in that.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/16/06 at 3:39 pm

^ I had the same feeling, even when I was still living in that house. When people saw it from the outside, they said, "Man, that house is HUGE!" ;D

I think once you get used to anything, it's no big deal. Actually, many things are like that - I once heard it said "You always want what you don't have", and I think there's some truth in that.

Totally.

For instance, I collect coins, and always look forward to buying a gold coin (although I don't collect as much now).  But when I get it, it's kind of like "Party's over", and I look forward to the next one.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 03/01/06 at 2:30 am

My childhood home was just an average home (Seeno Built in 1973) When I go by it from time to time, I have SO memories of it. I could probably sit in my car and just reminisce for hours while Madonna's "This Use To Be My Playground" plays in the background.

Written By: Marty McFly on 03/01/06 at 2:37 am

My childhood home was just an average home (Seeno Built in 1973) When I go by it from time to time, I have SO memories of it. I could probably sit in my car and just reminisce for hours while Madonna's "This Use To Be My Playground" plays in the background.

Same with me - especially since we've moved around alot, mostly when I was younger. This is currently my 11th place, and I've overall lived in three areas (North Bay - '80s; Sacramento - 1990-96, San Jose - 1996+).

But you know, I think the saddest thing is being in an area you used to live, outside a house you used to call home, on once familar streets, and now in the present, it's all foreign again. That's a freakin' weird feeling. The first time I clearly felt that way was back in 1994 when I was with my parents in Rohnert Park and we decided to drive by the house we lived in from 86-90 (we've always lived not too far from the Bay Area, so we've been back there several times since). I got out of the car to take pictures of the house (which I still have).

Let me tell ya, even if I was only 12 at the time, I still probably could've cried right then, just thinking about the place I had such happy memories at age 4 to 8/9.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/01/06 at 3:05 am

Same with me - especially since we've moved around alot, mostly when I was younger. This is currently my 11th place, and I've overall lived in three areas (North Bay - '80s; Sacramento - 1990-96, San Jose - 1996+).

But you know, I think the saddest thing is being in an area you used to live, outside a house you used to call home, on once familar streets, and now in the present, it's all foreign again. That's a freakin' weird feeling. The first time I clearly felt that way was back in 1994 when I was with my parents in Rohnert Park and we decided to drive by the house we lived in from 86-90 (we've always lived not too far from the Bay Area, so we've been back there several times since). I got out of the car to take pictures of the house (which I still have).

Let me tell ya, even if I was only 12 at the time, I still probably could've cried right then, just thinking about the place I had such happy memories at age 4 to 8/9.

Well, in a certain sense time is just the changing of things from their former state.  For instance, if you walked into a place unchanged since the '80s that's almost as good as going back to the '80s.

Written By: robby76 on 03/01/06 at 4:24 am

Well, in a certain sense time is just the changing of things from their former state.  For instance, if you walked into a place unchanged since the '80s that's almost as good as going back to the '80s.

Very true... my childhood local shops are absolutely unchanged... apart from the parking bays and it's great to go back every so often. There's also an almost deserted mall which used to be the 'biz' in the 80's... everything's still the same but of course all the major shops have gone. Every so often I'll take a walk all round the place for old times sake.

Written By: gmann on 03/02/06 at 12:09 pm

But you know, I think the saddest thing is being in an area you used to live, outside a house you used to call home, on once familar streets, and now in the present, it's all foreign again. That's a freakin' weird feeling.

I can relate. I haven't lived in my old house since my college days, but I would occasionally visit the parents on the odd weekend, so there was still a "home" feeling to the place. Last summer, my folks built a new house and moved away from the old neighborhood. Now, if I happen to pass through the area, it's a totally different world. Most of my neighbors and friends have moved away, so what remains is a weird combination of the familiar and the unknown.

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/02/06 at 1:20 pm

My family and I live near each other, for the most part. My grandfather still lives in the apartment in Manhattan my dad grew up, and I've lived in the same town outside of Newark all my life. My mom grew up in another suburb nearby, just two towns over, and ever since her family moved out after thirty years in that house, it's gone through a litany of different owners. They recently repainted her old house and it was sort of disturbing...and it was an awful pink color. My grandmother bought a ranch house in another suburb nearby in 1982, and I've known that as her house for along time...she's worried that if she sells it now, it's going to be torn down to build some hideous McMansion, so she's worried about moving out of it. My mother and I drove by the multifamily-house in inner-city Newark my grandfather grew up in during the '20s two summers ago, and it was disturbing that it had been torn down. Now the whole neighborhood is a horrific slum with housing projects and dilapidated cemeteries. My grandmother now wants to visit her old apartment in a hellish neighborhood of the Bronx that was all new when she grew up there in the '30s and '40s. It's disturbing how times change.

Written By: Juliet on 02/26/11 at 11:44 pm

I just was. All I was doing was watching 80s videos on YouTube when I got to this 80s metal compilation and just bursted into tears! I'm only 12 but really into 70s and 80s music and just wish it would come back.. all we have today is pop & rap music-wise, and in general everything else seems to be getting more modern by the minute. I mean why can't everything just be simple and fun again? I hope it makes a comeback. And soon.

Written By: 80sfan on 02/27/11 at 9:17 am

I just was. All I was doing was watching 80s videos on YouTube when I got to this 80s metal compilation and just bursted into tears! I'm only 12 but really into 70s and 80s music and just wish it would come back.. all we have today is pop & rap music-wise, and in general everything else seems to be getting more modern by the minute. I mean why can't everything just be simple and fun again? I hope it makes a comeback. And soon.

I'm sure there were some people, although more likely older people, in the 80s that complained about the 80s and wished that the 'good ole days' of the 50s were back. To them, the 80s seemed such a different time; maybe too noisy? Lol.

Written By: Shiv on 02/27/11 at 10:44 am

I pretty much feel the same way, although I can't say I've cried over it. But yeah older music and pop culture seemed so much more fun, you actually needed talent to get recognition and less based on everyone trying to out-rebel each other. But keep in the mind there's cool stuff today that wasn't around then, like the internet. Or ipods. So I love lots of the stuff from the past but I'm not stuck in it. Plus there's still some good music out there today!

Written By: 80sfan on 02/27/11 at 12:59 pm

I pretty much feel the same way, although I can't say I've cried over it. But yeah older music and pop culture seemed so much more fun, you actually needed talent to get recognition and less based on everyone trying to out-rebel each other. But keep in the mind there's cool stuff today that wasn't around then, like the internet. Or ipods. So I love lots of the stuff from the past but I'm not stuck in it. Plus there's still some good music out there today!

Why do we need mainstream music when we have internet and ipods? I guess that's nature's way of compensating.

That's the thing about reality, it's never as bad as it could be, but it's never as good as it could be also.  :o

Written By: Howard on 02/27/11 at 3:08 pm

I'm sure there were some people, although more likely older people, in the 80s that complained about the 80s and wished that the 'good ole days' of the 50s were back. To them, the 80s seemed such a different time; maybe too noisy? Lol.

The 80's to me were more free and easy.

Written By: Howard on 02/27/11 at 3:10 pm

The 80's were cool,Walkmans ruled the streets every day and cell phones that looked like space machines.

Written By: ProfS on 02/27/11 at 4:35 pm

I don't cry over the passing of the 80s, but I do look back on that time period fondly. I was a child then and so it was a much simpler, innocent time period than the 00s or 10s. In the 80s I enjoyed the music and the cartoons and toys.

Written By: 80sfan on 02/27/11 at 5:53 pm

The 80's to me were more free and easy.

Exactly. It's all about perspective.

People in the 10s will look at the 80s as a simpler time and people in the 2030s will look back at the 10s as a simpler time.

Written By: nicole1977 on 02/27/11 at 7:58 pm

I miss the 80s AND 90s.  I miss the 80s because those were my childhood and preteen years being born in 1977 and all.  Sometimes I do start crying when I look back as a child watching old 80s cartoons, 80s commericals, 80s TV shows, and listening to 80s music on YouTube.  I'm crying more about the 80s now because my favorite celebrities who were popular in the 80s died like Teena Marie, Michael Jackson, Patrick Swayze, Corey Haim,Eazy E, Guru from Gang Starr, Roger Troutman, Luther Vandross, Rick James, Gary Coleman, Dana Plato, Robert Palmer, Laura Branigan, etc.

Written By: 80sfan on 02/27/11 at 8:23 pm

I miss the 80s AND 90s.  I miss the 80s because those were my childhood and preteen years being born in 1977 and all.  Sometimes I do start crying when I look back as a child watching old 80s cartoons, 80s commericals, 80s TV shows, and listening to 80s music on YouTube.  I'm crying more about the 80s now because my favorite celebrities who were popular in the 80s died like Teena Marie, Michael Jackson, Patrick Swayze, Corey Haim,Eazy E, Guru from Gang Starr, Roger Troutman, Luther Vandross, Rick James

Sigh:.

I envy you; you actually got to experience all of the 80s.  ::)

I've been a fan of the 80s since about 2001.

Written By: fredrickthe94guy on 02/28/11 at 1:53 am

people who are born in 1980 this year as of 2011 is officially 31 years old LOL!! they are old now

and people who are born before that is obviously older :p

haha i'm a bit too far off from the 80s culture.. my parents like the 80s however...

i like the 80s and i am preety sure its fun and simple back then...the era of properity and glam as many describe... and many of the alternative and punk rock and even old school rap begin in this decade too...

nahh i dont think anyone will cry over the 2010s in 2030s.... its already a complicated world.... at least i got to spend 5 years of my life in the 20th century :)... i was born during the grunge and the gangster years so its somewhat rebelious years of the 90s and experiencing and the countries experiencing major financal crisis in 1997 (part of the whole lot more reasons why my parents split up too :()... enjoying most of the childhood in the hopefull years (1999 - 2004 not after that) which was easily crashed down by witnessing so many terrorism acts around the world and only 1 mega disaster (Indian ocean Tsunami)... and now looking at the tennies which just began... already so many revolutions in many parts of the world and so many disasters everywhere... i was one of the later kids but at least i experienced the times of hopefullness and remember the stability of the late 90s and early 00s :)... today's under 15s as of 2011 (sorry 1998 borns :/) only know the world with so many major events around the globe.... theres nothing to be cried for that to them... its how they see it...  

but in saying thee things... i have fond empathies for those who grew up in the 80s :) i am really sure it was nice back then :)

Written By: Howard on 02/28/11 at 6:21 am

I don't cry over the passing of the 80s, but I do look back on that time period fondly. I was a child then and so it was a much simpler, innocent time period than the 00s or 10s. In the 80s I enjoyed the music and the cartoons and toys.

plus you had The Saturday Morning Cartoons from the time you woke up till about noon.

Written By: Howard on 02/28/11 at 6:24 am

and people who are born before that is obviously older :p

Tell that to a guy who's gonna be 37 soon. :P

Written By: Dagwood on 02/28/11 at 7:46 am

people who are born in 1980 this year as of 2011 is officially 31 years old LOL!! they are old now

Watch it with the old talk

signed
someone who just turned 40 and is no where near old. :P

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/28/11 at 8:25 am

signed

Yeah, these young whippersnappers-still wet behind the ears. I hope you have your cane handy, Dag.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 02/28/11 at 12:18 pm

signed

I'm going to be 37 next week and I still feel as young as I used to be,only slightly older.

Written By: Dagwood on 02/28/11 at 5:44 pm

Yeah, these young whippersnappers-still wet behind the ears. I hope you have your cane handy, Dag.

Cat

I do...I carry it everywhere so I can beat the young ones into submission. ;)

Written By: fredrickthe94guy on 02/28/11 at 8:19 pm

signed

haha very true... people in their 60s now are still active!!!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/28/11 at 9:27 pm

Yesterday we went for a hike with my husband who is in his 60s and his father who is 90!!!!

Cat

Written By: Don Carlos on 02/28/11 at 10:00 pm

Yesterday we went for a hike with my husband who is in his 60s and his father who is 90!!!!

Cat
st a

And today I went snorkeling, photoing the fishies, but darn,  I forgot my cane.  Oh, and my dad came along, not as spry as he once was, but not dead yet, a little meshugina maybe, but still alive and kicking.  You young people need to get some perspective. 

Oh, and as far as I'm concerned, there was nothing special about the 80's, just another decade, a bit worse than most because of Reagan (do the word contragate ring a bell? - probably not, but Pres Jellybean was just a B movie actor in a B movie part).  Even the music was +/- mediocre, no Beatles, no Stones, no Hendrix...So, the 80's - hoo haa, who cares

Written By: nally on 02/28/11 at 10:36 pm

That would include me (and in July of this year I'll officially be that age)...but I think "old" might be an understatement. :-\\ I still consider myself quite young...and feel that way too.

I'm going to be 37 next week and I still feel as young as I used to be,only slightly older.

Yeah; the time does quickly go by.

Written By: Howard on 03/01/11 at 6:13 am

and they're still on Viagra.  :o

Written By: Howard on 03/01/11 at 6:15 am

I miss the 80's but the only way to keep the 80's alive is by saving it in your mind and your heart.

Written By: wsmith4 on 03/07/11 at 2:53 pm

I miss the 80's but the only way to keep the 80's alive is by saving it in your mind and your heart.

That's beautiful.  :\'(

:-*
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/14/love4.gif http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/09/smlove2.gif http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/08/remykiss.gif

Written By: yelimsexa on 03/08/11 at 7:54 am

Reading that a movie set in the '80s (Take Me Home Tonight) flops on it's opening weekend (just $3.9 million for a $19 million dollar movie) also makes me cry realizing that not enough people care about the '80s.

Written By: fredrickthe94guy on 03/13/11 at 7:12 am

have you notice a lot of 80s fad revival recently??? or at the late 00s....

who says we dont care about 80s???

i like 80s ;)

Written By: Howard on 03/13/11 at 7:30 am

have you notice a lot of 80s fad revival recently??? or at the late 00s....

who says we dont care about 80s???

i like 80s ;)

Me too Fred,the 80's were a cool time. :)

Written By: Major James Ward III on 03/14/11 at 3:45 pm

yes, for the most part...it was pleasant times.  The music, movies, TV shows, cartoons, toys, everything was so much more memorable to me.  I mean..I feel bad for kids today with the choice of cartoons out there...they don't even compare to the ones that I grew up with. :-\\

It seems like the height of American entertainment and creativity was in that decade in 1980 to 1990, in everything music, fashion etc;

Written By: Howard on 03/15/11 at 6:28 am

Which year for just one day would anyone like to travel to from 1980-1990?

Written By: Davester on 03/15/11 at 6:45 am

Which year for just one day would anyone like to travel to from 1980-1990?

A day in summer '84 would be nice...

Written By: Howard on 03/15/11 at 7:17 am

A day in summer '84 would be nice...

I would like to go back to 1985.

Written By: moycon on 03/21/11 at 11:48 pm

I can't say I've ever cried about it, but heck yeah I'd love to go back to the 80's
I became a teenager in the 80's and that decade really shaped me as a person.
I'd actually love to relive both the 70's and the 80's, not sure if it's just because those were the decades of my youth, before I had to frickin work every week and pay bills and taxes, and be responsible etc..etc... or if those two decades really were something special. I say that because if I were to ask my dad the same thing, he'd probably want to relive the 50's and 60's, so go figure.

Written By: 70s80s90s on 03/22/11 at 2:48 am

Does anyone here ever feel that you miss the 80s so much, that you just start crying about it? :\'( Or if you're like me and you've been born too late for the 80s, and you wish so desperately that you could have grown up in that era? When I saw that 'You're An 80s Child If' list, I found myself on the verge of teens, wishing I could have been around then. Believe it or not, I actually cried myself to sleep last night. I just don't think that the 90s or the 00s even come close to being what the 80s were like.

I cry over the 80s too. Heck, I miss the late 70s as well as the early 90s. The 80s...Good years. Very good years!!!!  Back then, atleast for my generation, we all thought our futures we're going to be sky's the limit. Now we're worried about social security, dumb politicians, obesity, and jobs.

Generation X

Written By: Howard on 03/22/11 at 6:25 am

I do think about the 80's sometimes but we have to move on someday.

Written By: Shiv on 03/24/11 at 1:23 am

I do really miss seeing old boxy 80s cars on the road in the 90s and early 00s, I'll admit.

Written By: Howard on 03/24/11 at 5:45 am

I do really miss seeing old boxy 80s cars on the road in the 90s and early 00s, I'll admit.

http://www.remarkablecars.com/1983-cars.jpg

Here's a car from 1983.

Written By: spiderman79 on 04/02/11 at 6:19 am

I cry over the 80's too.  Especially when I hear songs from that time period.  I grew up during the 80s and feel nostalgic toward that period, especially when I hear 80's new wave.  It's sad because it's a time that has long gone  that  will never return again.  I know I was a child then (born in 1979)  but I still LOVE the 80's and it will always be a part of my heart.  If you were a child of the 80's you know exactly how I feel!  :)

Written By: Howard on 04/02/11 at 6:22 am

I cry over the 80's too.  Especially when I hear songs from that time period.  I grew up during the 80s and feel nostalgic toward that period, especially when I hear 80's new wave.  It's sad because it's a time that has long gone  that  will never return again.  I know I was a child then (born in 1979)  but I still LOVE the 80's and it will always be a part of my heart.  If you were a child of the 80's you know exactly how I feel!  :)

That's why I listen to internet radio for my 80's fix.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/03/11 at 11:56 pm

Intended for the now-locked '80s grandparents thread:

(Ray Liotta as "Ray Sinclair" in "Something Wild")

Olivia: Stewie, you're being mean.
Stewie Griffin: No, if I was being mean, when you opened the door, I would've said, "Oh, hey, Ray Liotta, is Olivia home?" You see, I thought you were Ray Liotta because your skin has the texture of a decorative autumn squash.

Written By: fredrickthe94guy on 04/12/11 at 12:45 am

yeah i dont like box cars :p but i have to admit i am starting to enjoy more of 80s music ;)

Written By: Howard on 04/12/11 at 6:33 am

I'm happy I'm re-living the 80's,I listen to my internet radio stations every day,full of jamminoldies.

Written By: youngerderek on 04/21/11 at 7:36 pm

i still see them they are getting rare though. even as late as 1999 i would say about half of them were still made in the 80s.

Written By: Shiv on 04/21/11 at 9:23 pm

1983 Cutlass, yep I still remember those and a plethora of others. My dad used to point out to me how he almost bought one whenever we'd see one.

80s cars are extremely rare in my area now. I'm lucky if I see one a day. I live in the Buffalo, NY area, which, in case you don't know, is notorious for its ridiculous amount of snow. Cars rarely last over 12 years around here because of all the road salt. They rust out.

Even in the 90s, most of the 80s cars around here were rusted out eyesores, and they were pretty much all gone by about 2003.

Written By: Creeder on 04/22/11 at 4:11 pm

I was born in 1989 so I don't remember the 80s, but still I feel really nostalgic for that era. Everything looks so great and optimistic.
Its cool that some 80s stuff came to my country a little late so I could experience them as a kid.
Oh well, at least I've seen the 90s - the last good decade.

Written By: wsmith4 on 04/25/11 at 9:29 am

Right now I'd be much more likely to cry over the 90s

Written By: Louise1978 on 04/26/11 at 1:56 am

Sometimes I miss the 80's when I hear music or watch movies/tv shows from that era.I was born in 78 so I am an 80's child and I remember it as being a simpler slightly more innocent time.I would have loved to have been a teenager during the 80's so I could have really experienced the 80's.I only remember that decade from a child's perspective.The 90's was when I started to have more independence.I still love the 80's though because it makes me think of my childhood.

Written By: Shiv on 04/26/11 at 10:33 am

How about crying over the 00s?  :D haha I don't think anyone ever will

Written By: Howard on 04/26/11 at 7:02 pm

It's a decade that was tragic.

Written By: Shiv on 04/27/11 at 3:06 am

It's a decade that was tragic.

True in that way. I was referring to crying over the 00s pop culture though.

Written By: Midas on 04/28/11 at 8:23 pm

"Quit yer cryin' or I'll give you something to cry about!" - Dad

Written By: Louise1978 on 04/30/11 at 6:39 am

Right now I'd be much more likely to cry over the 90s

I miss the 90's too.They were my teenage years.I still love the 80's though. :)

Written By: Howard on 04/30/11 at 6:40 am

I miss the 90's too.They were my teenage years.I still love the 80's though. :)

The 80's were my time too.

Written By: Louise1978 on 04/30/11 at 6:41 am

The 00's sucked so bad.I think the only people who will miss that decade are the people who grew up in it and were influenced by the pop culture during that era.I think nearly everyone else hates that decade.

Written By: Shiv on 04/30/11 at 5:19 pm

The 00's sucked so bad.I think the only people who will miss that decade are the people who grew up in it and were influenced by the pop culture during that era.I think nearly everyone else hates that decade.

I grew up in it. My entire adolescence took place in the 00s.

And I don't miss it.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 04/30/11 at 6:01 pm

I grew up in it. My entire adolescence took place in the 00s.

And I don't miss it.

Agree. If the 2020s come around and are better than the 2000s and 2010s, I will consider the 2020s my decade.

Written By: Howard on 04/30/11 at 7:01 pm

I don't miss the 00's.

Written By: wsmith4 on 05/11/11 at 7:03 am

I don't miss the 00's.

Me neither, except that's when I met you  :-*

Written By: Howard on 05/11/11 at 7:15 pm

Me neither, except that's when I met you  :-*

::) Oh Jeez!

Check for new replies or respond here...