inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Beta vs VHS

Written By: Slater on 02/12/06 at 1:26 pm

I remember this go-round from the 80's. Don't recall ever watching a Beta tape but I'm told that the picture quality was generally superior to VHS. Thoughts?

Subject: Re: Beta vs VHS

Written By: Webstor on 02/12/06 at 3:08 pm

It was a superior picture to VHS.....

Written By: whistledog on 02/12/06 at 3:11 pm

Beta was so much better than VHS.  Smaller more compact tapes, better quality, only the machine itself was the size of a computer from the 1960's ;D

Written By: Tanya1976 on 02/12/06 at 3:30 pm

true about the picture quality!!!

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/12/06 at 8:34 pm

I can't speak for BETA, since I don't recall watching a film on Beta.  I kind of like VHS, myself.

Written By: Skippy(in but out) on 02/13/06 at 1:03 am

As I remember, Slo-Mo was awesome on Beta. I also remember the machines and tapes being quite pricy, but cost probably would have come down if it had caught on. I'm surprised Sony didn't stick with it.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 02/13/06 at 1:14 am

I remember my dad having a beta player until about 1986, I want to say.  Then we got VHS because it was the cool new thing to have.

My parents said that the picture quality was better (as most have you have also said), but that the size made it hard to move around and it looked cumbersome.  Apparently my parents were way into aesthetics.  ;D

Written By: agoraphobicwhacko on 02/13/06 at 6:29 am

I was always surprised how Beta didn't win the war with VHS. There were more pros then cons on Beta's side. I guess they just didnt promote it right.

Written By: Watcher29 on 02/13/06 at 7:28 am

Nah, the Japanese manufacturers just flooded the market with VHS machines and they got so cheap that Beta could not compete, price-wise.

Written By: BrianMannixGirl Guest on 02/18/06 at 2:01 am

I still have my Beta player which I bought in 1984. I still regularly play many of my beta tapes.

Unlike VHS tapes - which tend to stretch and die after a few years - beta tapes and players were such superior quality that you feel like you are watching a new tape each time. My tapes are all over 20 years old and play like a dream.

Every few years I get the player serviced just to keep it going. At least until I have transferred my collection over to DVD.

Sizewise - my player is no bigger than a standard VHS player. Never have had problems moving it around.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 02/18/06 at 3:27 am

I can't speak for BETA, since I don't recall watching a film on Beta.  I kind of like VHS, myself.

You are 29 and you can't recall watching a film on Beta? Fascinating (not being sarcastic at all, seriously).

Written By: gmann on 02/18/06 at 1:10 pm

Nah, the Japanese manufacturers just flooded the market with VHS machines and they got so cheap that Beta could not compete, price-wise.

Something like that, yeah. They way I understand it, the owners of the Beta technology wanted to have the sole rights to it, so they wouldn't license it anyone else to build the machines. That allowed VHS, which was manufactured by everybody, to have more decks on the market.

I remember seeing a magazine ad for a Beta player in the late 80s, and it was being touted as "the wave of the future." Even then, you coiuldn't help but laugh.   

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/18/06 at 6:02 pm

You are 29 and you can't recall watching a film on Beta? Fascinating (not being sarcastic at all, seriously).

I agree!  ;D

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 02/25/06 at 11:04 am

Its really only in the publics eye that Beta disappeared.

If you take a stroll thru any TV station you will see its still being used due to its durability.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/25/06 at 11:18 am

Its really only in the publics eye that Beta disappeared.

If you take a stroll thru any TV station you will see its still being used due to its durability.
I agree with you, I had connections with a TV programme producing company up to about this time last year and Betamax was still being used by them then.

Written By: gmann on 02/25/06 at 12:28 pm

I agree with you, I had connections with a TV programme producing company up to about this time last year and Betamax was still being used by them then.

Agreed. I worked part-time for a local station in 2000-2001, and the Beta system was still the standard for videotape playback for news and commercials. However, digital non-linear editing was already in heavy use by that time and many stations have since gone to hard drive storage of ads. .

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/25/06 at 6:22 pm

Something like that, yeah. They way I understand it, the owners of the Beta technology wanted to have the sole rights to it, so they wouldn't license it anyone else to build the machines. That allowed VHS, which was manufactured by everybody, to have more decks on the market.

I remember seeing a magazine ad for a Beta player in the late 80s, and it was being touted as "the wave of the future." Even then, you coiuldn't help but laugh.   

The VHS, imo reached its peak in the 1990s.

Check for new replies or respond here...