inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Favourite 80's Punk Bands?

Written By: whistledog on 02/12/06 at 5:50 pm

Has there been a thread on 80's Punk yet?  What are some of your favourite punk bands and songs?

I always put Canadian music first, so allow me to ramble on about two great bands that we had in Canada ... One was a group called The Start who had a 1980 hit called Hey You.  Fantastic song that has long been out of print.  Lucky me now has the mp3 8)

And of course, also from the shores of Canada, we had a popular group called Teenage Head (later called Teenage Heads).  They had a whole bunch of great songs like "Somethin on My Mind", "Lets Shake" and "Tornado"

I loved the Killing Joke songs "Love Like Blood" and "Eighties" as well as The Damned song "Grimly Fiendish" :)

Subject: Re: Favourite 80's Punk Bands?

Written By: SarahJane87 on 02/12/06 at 6:17 pm

I like Teenage Head, too - as well as Persuit of Happiness. Would Trooper be punk, too?

Written By: Tia on 02/12/06 at 6:18 pm

black flag and marginal man, most likely. government issue, dead kennedys. are they punk? or hardcore? i was never quite clear on the difference.

Written By: whistledog on 02/12/06 at 6:23 pm

I like Teenage Head, too - as well as Persuit of Happiness. Would Trooper be punk, too?

You must be a Canadian :)

I wouldn't class Trooper as punk.  They were more the 70's Rock Scene, as they even did pop rock ballads like "Oh, Pretty Lady" :)

Written By: Cafe80s on 02/12/06 at 9:26 pm

Dead Kennedys for me, inteligent & relevent lyrics & a really unique & quirky guitar sound. Closely followed by either Crass or Exploited. I also liked Black Flag quite a bit, but i prefere the pre-Henry Rollins stuff, not that i dislike Henry Rollins the man, i think he's entertaining & inteligent & i always enjoyed his spoken word.

Written By: rich1981 on 02/12/06 at 10:55 pm

In addition to Black Flag and Dead Kennedy's I also like The Misfits and X.

Written By: 80smuzikhead on 02/13/06 at 9:43 am

I like The Damned, particularly "Grimly Fiendish" and their version of "Eloise". I also like Toyah Wilcox "I Want To be Free".

Written By: Cafe80s on 02/13/06 at 10:20 am

I can whole heartedly say that the punk bands of that era were actually punk, which is more than i can say for a lot of what's out there now. I don't think there's even a need to call it 80s punk, it's just punk period & what we have now is pop trying to pass itself off as punk. Girls at rock shows, zits & break ups, what the?

I also forgot to mention Plasmatics & Disorder & how could i forget the awesome aussie punk band Depression.

Written By: FaultyDog on 02/14/06 at 12:43 pm

[quote author=whis

Written By: whistledog on 02/14/06 at 12:50 pm

I would never thought of that being punk... :-\\

For me, punk era ended when the 80s began (well, sorta). And I never really liked punk music. There's only one song that I could listen to over and over again:

Written By: Tia on 02/14/06 at 12:52 pm

i think killing joke was on that punk/industrial cusp. ditto "prong."

Written By: McDonald on 02/14/06 at 1:01 pm

[quote author=whis

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 02/15/06 at 12:22 pm

One of my older brothers had a friend who was big in the local punk scene in the early/mid 80's, and one day in about '83 my bro's friend made me a compilation tape of a bunch of punk songs that he liked. One of my favorite bands on that tape was the Angry Samoans, who made some of the funniest and rudest songs I've ever heard.

Check for new replies or respond here...