inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The NES LIVES!!

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 02/13/06 at 11:26 pm

I know this is probably like the 1millionth thread someones started about this but i just have to ask. We all have fond memories of playing the Nintendo entertainment system but which NES game is your personal favorite. I dont think it would come as a surprise to anyone what mine is(Super Mario Bros.)

Subject: Re: The NES LIVES!!

Written By: whistledog on 02/13/06 at 11:28 pm

My favourite NES game is "Double Dragon II: The Revenge".  It was such an easy game.  Usually, I could finish it without losing a life, but that waterfall level, and those levels in the shadow boss' lair often posed quite a challenge :o

I also really liked "Mike Tyson's Punch Out".  I used to be so good, I was able to KO or TKO every boxer in the first round except Mr. Sandman

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 02/13/06 at 11:29 pm

Do you guys remember 3-D WorldRunner? OMG...I used to play that for HOURS upon hours....that was one of my favorites!

Written By: whistledog on 02/13/06 at 11:34 pm

Do you guys remember 3-D WorldRunner? OMG...I used to play that for HOURS upon hours....that was one of my favorites!

I remember 3-D WorldRunner.  It was just like that game "Space Harrier".  It was quite fun :)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 02/13/06 at 11:36 pm

[quote author=whis

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 02/13/06 at 11:52 pm

[quote author=whis

Written By: whistledog on 02/13/06 at 11:56 pm

Punch-out was great but sometimes Tyson will really piss you off ;D. Duck Hunt with the zapper is a classic too.

Tyson was a breeze.  After about 1:30 has passed, he throws side punches, and if you are lucky enough to get a star on him (which is possible), stun him, use it, and he won't get up 8)

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 02/14/06 at 12:03 am

[quote author=whis

Written By: agoraphobicwhacko on 02/14/06 at 1:19 am

My favorites:

Gauntlet
Super Tecmo Bowl
Castlevania
Ninja Gaiden
Pro Wrestling
Donkey Kong

Written By: Cafe80s on 02/14/06 at 10:34 am

Cobra Triangle
Castlevania
TMNT
TMNT 3 - Manhatten Project
Kung Fu
Double Dragon 2
Battletoads Vs Double Dragon
Super Mario Bros. 3
Mighty Final Fight
Skate Or Die
Galaga
Snake Rattle N Roll
Flinstones

I'm sure there are more but these all stuck out in my memory off the top of my head.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 02/14/06 at 11:58 am

I also used to play, "California Games" alot....that one was fun!

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 02/14/06 at 11:58 am

[quote author=whis

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 02/14/06 at 12:03 pm

Do you guys remember, "Maniac Mansion"...that one was creepy to me when I was younger.  ;D

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/14/06 at 12:53 pm

I remember Duck Hunt.... and the annoying dog....  ::)

Written By: whistledog on 02/14/06 at 1:03 pm

My old NES, which I bought back in 1987, is still hooked up to an old TV in my parents' basement. I don't know exactly how long ago I bought "Punch Out"--it had to have been at least a good 10-15 years ago, but last year I FINALLY beat Super Macho Man for the first time after all these years. I was actually pumping my fist in the air and cheering, and my teenage niece and nephews, who were watching, all got a good laugh out of that. (I had the code to get to Tyson, but I never could make it past the first round with him.)
  Another one of my favorite NES games (which I no longer have--someone must have "borrowed" it from me a while back) was RC Pro Am. I loved how you could slide your car sideways through the corners, and especially how you could blow up the other cars with rockets and bombs.

Wanna know a little secret to defeating Super Macho Man with ease?  Before he does those twist punches (which he usually does after you knock him down), push up to make him raise his gloves, then punch him in the stomach.  If you do it right, you will get a star and if you're fast enough you'll have enough time to do it again.  When you get a chance to use them, sock it to him, and eventually you will be able TKO him in the first round without breaking a sweat 8)

Written By: Cafe80s on 02/14/06 at 1:07 pm

Yeah i loved that game, but i just didn't add it to this list because i thought the Sega Master Sytem version was heaps better. It played way smoother especially in the Roller Skating & the BMX, the controls responded better & lastly the graphphics were better. 

Written By: Cafe80s on 02/14/06 at 1:21 pm

Do you guys remember, "Maniac Mansion"...that one was creepy to me when I was younger.  ;D

Yeah it was originally a PC game back when a 386s were state of the art. The games i don't have on cartridge i have on the NES emulator on my PC & Maniac Mansion is one of the ones on my emulator. Actually the ones i have on cartridge i also have on the emulator. It's one way to get access to all those obsure, rare & overseas titles that you never could get your hands on & never got the chance to play & it's also a great way to have a backup of the games you have on cartridge.

Written By: Erick on 02/14/06 at 1:32 pm

MEGA MAN 2! This game had the best video game music of all time! It was and still is challenging.
This game is the best game on the NES along with the other mega mans and marios!

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 02/14/06 at 1:35 pm

I remember Duck Hunt.... and the annoying dog....  ::)

Oh the number of times I wished you could shoot that dog ;D

Written By: whistledog on 02/14/06 at 1:36 pm

I have California Games for the Atari 2600.  It is so much different than that of the NES, Sega or Computer version.  It only has 4 events (Foot Bag, Skateboard, Surfing, and Bicycle).  The Foot Bag event doesn't have the seagull, and the Bicycle event is a big giant green hill that you have to race down while jumping over trees and rocks

Written By: MotleyCrueFan'05 on 02/14/06 at 2:19 pm

MARIO 3 is the BOMB!!!! 8) I can beat it in 10 minutes

Written By: whistledog on 02/14/06 at 2:41 pm

MARIO 3 is the BOMB!!!! 8) I can beat it in 10 minutes

10 minutes?  That's impossible, unless you know some cheat code that I don't.  My record was finishing it in about a half hour

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 02/14/06 at 10:27 pm

[quote author=whis

Written By: whistledog on 02/14/06 at 10:44 pm

Actually I think somebody beat SMB 3 in like 10:55 without cheating

To get the two flutes in World 1 would take atleast 5 minutes.  Then to pass all of the tanks in World 8 ... it just cannot be done in that little time.  I'm gonna need to see proof ;D

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 02/14/06 at 10:50 pm

To get the two flutes in World 1 would take atleast 5 minutes.  Then to pass all of the tanks in World 8 ... it just cannot be done in that little time.  I'm gonna need to see proof ;D

You can go to www.speeddemosarchive.com and they have the speed run there on video you can download it if you have a fast enough internet connection I unfourtunatly do not :(

Written By: whistledog on 02/14/06 at 11:18 pm

You can go to www.speeddemosarchive.com and they have the speed run there on video you can download it if you have a fast enough internet connection I unfourtunatly do not :(

geez louise.  I just watched it and I must say that was fantastic :o

I didn't even know that you could shoot Bowzer in the end

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 02/14/06 at 11:24 pm

[quote author=whis

Written By: whistledog on 02/14/06 at 11:34 pm

Yeah I dont know how that guy did it but he must have put some mad practice into it.

He must have had loads of practice.  On some of those levels, he just barely escaped death.  It's like he raced through every level, knowing exactly where each enemy was going to be, so he would know where to be not to get hit :o

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 02/15/06 at 10:59 am

[quote author=whis

Written By: Rapture Man on 02/16/06 at 10:40 pm

Track & Field II anyone??  :}

Check for new replies or respond here...