inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Quantum Leap anyone???

Written By: Criz on 02/14/06 at 8:27 am

Anyone out there fans of Quantum Leap?

I've recently got the new DVD boxsets and forgot how much I used to love that show! Favourite episodes anyone?

I've never actually seen the final episode - will be waiting for box set 5 to come out before I can! So no spoilers - please!!

Subject: Re: Quantum Leap anyone???

Written By: Gis on 02/14/06 at 9:08 am

Absolutely loved it. I did like the first episode and the first one where Sam was a woman.The ones where he was an animal were a bit daft though. The last ever episode hmmmmmm interesting............. ;)

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 02/14/06 at 9:17 am

Definitely one of my favorite shows from the late 80's/early 90's. I always liked how, at the end of each episode when his "task" was completed, how he'd leap into the next person's body from next week's episode, and he'd always immediately find himself in some weird or precarious situation, and once he figured out what was going on he'd sigh, "Oh, boy..."
 One of the freakiest things I ever saw on that show was when, at the end of an episode, he made his leap only to find himself strapped in an electric chair, and he started screaming. In the next episode, the governor delayed the execution at the last second, and as it turned out his task was (if I remember right) to confess to another murder so an innocent man could be released from death row. They strapped him into the electric chair again the next night, and he was freaking out because he hadn't leapt yet. He finally leapt just seconds before they threw the switch.
  I haven't seen this show in ages, but it was one of the best shows of its time, and thanks for bringing it up. :)

Written By: Cafe80s on 02/14/06 at 10:20 am

Yep i remember it well because it was around the same time i was addicted to the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles arcade machine (around the end of 1989 to 1990), i don't know why but for some reason in my memory i always associate the 2 together. I loved Quantum Leap, we need a DVD release for that one.

Written By: gmann on 02/14/06 at 11:38 am

One of the few sci-fi/action TV series of my youth that survived to see a second season.  :) Quantum Leap was one of my favorites, mostly becaus eof its "anthology" style of storytelling; every episode was something new, though there were a few recurring characters (need I mention the "evil leaper" of the later seasons?)

There was a an episode centered around Halloween that spooked me. Sam is a guy helping some friends put together a Halloween party, but he falls down some stairs and is knocked unconcious. When he awakens, everything seems cool, but then freaky things start happening with the other chacters; an old man falls off a ladder and dies, etc. There were more off-the-wall events, but I can't remember all of them. It turns out everything Sam experiences is a dream and when he wakes up, he find out he has to save the man who fell off the ladder. It made for a rather short leap, once you realized what been happening during that episode.  8)

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/14/06 at 12:54 pm

I like Quantum Leap, it's a good film.

Written By: 80sforever on 02/14/06 at 1:08 pm

Quantum Leap is my favorite show of all time (The Pretender is a close second  ;) .) I've got the first three seasons on DVD and am looking forward to season 4 coming out in March.  :)

Written By: gmann on 02/14/06 at 1:51 pm

Another good episode was "Good Morning, Peoria", in which Sam leaps into a radio disc jockey whose trying to introduce rock 'n' roll to the masses in 1950's Illinois. Some of the town elders reject the "new music" and try to shut down Sam's station, but his boss helps him keep the music alive.

I suppose this could have been an early (however subtle) influence on my career in radio.  ;)

Written By: Webstor on 02/15/06 at 6:05 am

Favorite episode was "The Leap Home"
where he lept into himself as a kid a few days before his brither went to Vietnam..

Written By: Jewel on 02/16/06 at 12:41 am

I remember this kid I use to babysit use to enjoy watching that show.

Written By: kairi747 on 02/16/06 at 8:46 am

i used to watch quantum leap all the time.  it was a favorite of my father-in-law's and we'd watch it together.  he HATED when sam was a girl!!  i have two favorite episodes although the memory is a bit foggy.  in one he was a photographer in vietnam and he gets a shot of that hologram guy he was with.  i can't believe i'm not remembering his name!  the other one was about stephen king.  i don't remember if he became stephen king or what - but there were all of these influences into his novels - like there was a dog named cujo.  i will have to get those dvd's - it was a great show!

Written By: Tanya1976 on 02/16/06 at 7:47 pm

I love this show!!! Thank goodness that the SCI FI channel reruns it from time to time.

Written By: BrianMannixGirl Guest on 02/18/06 at 1:52 am

Quantum Leap is one of my all time fave series. I saved every single episode to video and was so happy to see the boxed sets go on sale. I have bought season one so far - it only arrived this week so I havent had a chance to watch them yet.

Cafe80s - you are in Aus arent you ? they are being sold on ezydvd.com.au and they have some real special extras on them.

Written By: Criz on 02/25/06 at 9:46 am

I think my favourite out of the first and second seasons is 'Another Mother' - possibly the only one I like when he's a woman. I love the little girl who can see Al - she's so adorable! Also, the girl happens to be Donald P. Bellisario's (producer of the show) daughter Troian.

I remember the ones where Sam leaped in Lee Harvey Oswald were really good, but I haven't seen them for years.

There are so many that I haven't seen, can't wait to get the DVDs!

Written By: Huw on 02/25/06 at 10:04 am

Yup, I'm definitely a QL fan. The one where he leaps into a woman having a bath a Al suddenly turns up! Terrific...  :)

Written By: Criz on 02/25/06 at 4:45 pm

Yup, I'm definitely a QL fan. The one where he leaps into a woman having a bath a Al suddenly turns up! Terrific...  :)

Al's an awesome character.I love it when he can't remember which wife or girlfriend or lover he used to do this with or that with!

I was watching 'Blue Velvet' for the first time a couple nights ago, and guess who showed up...you guessed it, Dean Stockwell :)

Written By: STAR70 on 02/25/06 at 5:20 pm

did he ever leap home?

Written By: Criz on 02/28/06 at 7:17 am

I think he does...but I've never seen that episode.

Written By: stevefrom78 on 03/23/06 at 11:11 am

My favorite was when he lept into himself as a kid and got to talk to his father again and had to make the decision to leap. And another, where he didn't want to do what we was suppose to do to leap. I can't remember what it was or what happened in the end. And then there's the one where he lept into a black man in the 50's and had to drive a little black girl to a white's only hospital and would not leave intil they helped her.And didn't he leap into Al (His holographic friend that told him what he was suppose to do)once? And one episode he had done everything he needed to do but he hadn't lept yet. Come to find out that he had to punch this guy then he could leap. I didn't know they were on DVD, gotto go get them.

Written By: BrianMannixGirl Guest on 03/25/06 at 12:41 am

I have been home sick for the last 3 days - rugged up on the sofa and not moving much. So I have been having a DVD TV series marathon.

Watched the entire season 1 of Mash, followed by the first 6 eps of Quantum Leap.

Am loving seeing these eps again and I love the little extras with Scott at the beginning of each episode where he talks about the making of that ep. In the one that featured a very young Teri Hatcher he just kept saying "and well there was the stunning Teri Hatcher - it was hard to concentrate on acting" !!!!! Also love the History doco with Scott, Dean and Donald talking about the show.

I need to order season 2 now.

Written By: Gis on 03/25/06 at 3:45 am

did he ever leap home?
No, but I won't give anything else away...................

Written By: Scorpionkeith on 03/27/06 at 8:25 am

Seen all quantum leap fantastic, can't wait for boxset 5

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/27/06 at 3:42 pm

A great show-totally different from the "usual" (i.e. doctor shows, lawyer shows, family shows, etc.) There were some really good episodes-one where Al became the "leaper" and Sam did Al's job. The one where he leaped into himself as a kid, and of course the last show-where he was at the bar. I also thought that some of them dealing with Al's past were interesting-like the one where Al was on trial, and when he meets up with Al's first wife (who thought that Al died in the war), or when he was in Viet Nam and saw Al being taking prisoner.

Some I thought were funny-like when he was a woman in a beauty pagant. And there was another where was a pregnant woman.

Cat

Written By: Criz on 03/28/06 at 2:26 pm

A great show-totally different from the "usual" (i.e. doctor shows, lawyer shows, family shows, etc.) There were some really good episodes-one where Al became the "leaper" and Sam did Al's job.

I just saw that episode yesterday...thought Sam in the 'future' was a little bit cheesy though. Stilll, you gotta love it.

I remember the one where he leaped into Al was pretty good, but haven't seen it for years! The one where he recieves ECT is really good too.

Check for new replies or respond here...