inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: hypercolor clothing

Written By: bobbi on 02/16/06 at 11:39 am

:oJust wondering if anyone has any knowlege of this 80's type of material used for t-shirts etc?
Or where I can buy it?
Your t-shirt use to change color when you were warm then when you cooled down again it went back to its original color.
Eg it started of blue then would change to yellow then back to blue. ::)

Subject: Re: hypercolor clothing

Written By: Sister Morphine on 02/16/06 at 11:59 am

:oJust wondering if anyone has any knowlege of this 80's type of material used for t-shirts etc?
Or where I can buy it?
Your t-shirt use to change color when you were warm then when you cooled down again it went back to its original color.
Eg it started of blue then would change to yellow then back to blue. ::)

Wasn't that the stuff, where if someone put their hand on your back, it would leave a colored impression?  I remember seeing that on one of those I Love The 80s shows on Vh1.

Written By: gmann on 02/16/06 at 2:22 pm

Wasn't that the stuff, where if someone put their hand on your back, it would leave a colored impression?  I remember seeing that on one of those I Love The 80s shows on Vh1.

If so, then I remember it well. I didn't have any Hypercolor stuff, but I had ftriends that did. I want to say that it was almost more of an early 90s fad than 80s, but I could be wrong. Either that, or fashion trends in Ohio were a little behind the times.  ;)

Written By: Jewel on 02/16/06 at 10:07 pm

I had a couple of those back in the early 90s. My first one was a pink long-sleeved shirt (not exactly the most stylish cut) that would turn a lighter pink. I also had a blue teeshirt that would turn white.

I also had this teeshirt with three summer outfits on the front and they would change different colours.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 02/16/06 at 10:12 pm

those were pretty rad! Hey..do you guys remember those gloves (I think they were called Freaky Freezies, or something like that)....that you wore in the winter...they were puffy...and the cold air would change them colors and/or make a picture appear on them?

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/16/06 at 10:13 pm

I had a Hypercolor t-shirt once, awhile back.

Written By: Dan1978 on 02/16/06 at 10:35 pm

I had a Hypercolor shirt in early 1992. If you were ever out in the sun long enough, the shirt changed color. After many washes, it no longer changed color. Mine was actually a blue/yellow mustard/pink "Generra Hypergrafix" tie dyed shirt. Yes, this was a late 80's fashion. Boy does this bring back memories! I miss that shirt!

Written By: Jewel on 02/16/06 at 10:36 pm

those were pretty rad! Hey..do you guys remember those gloves (I think they were called Freaky Freezies, or something like that)....that you wore in the winter...they were puffy...and the cold air would change them colors and/or make a picture appear on them?

Wow, I had those! I had a pair that seemed to have a peacock theme from what I remember one year for Christmas. Then I somehow ended up with a pair that had hearts on them.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 02/16/06 at 10:43 pm

Wow, I had those! I had a pair that seemed to have a peacock theme from what I remember one year for Christmas. Then I somehow ended up with a pair that had hearts on them.

those were the coolest things! I remember my sister and I each had a pair, but I can't remember what the picture was on them...I am thinking maybe hearts...but I'm not too sure.

Written By: robby76 on 02/17/06 at 4:06 am

Me and my sister both had hypercolour t-shirts. Mine went from green to yellow and her's purple to pink. This was in the early 90's, so you may have better luck in the 90's section. And of course Ebay is always good for old stuff.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/17/06 at 9:22 am

I had a Hypercolor shirt in early 1992. If you were ever out in the sun long enough, the shirt changed color. After many washes, it no longer changed color. Mine was actually a blue/yellow mustard/pink "Generra Hypergrafix" tie dyed shirt. Yes, this was a late 80's fashion. Boy does this bring back memories! I miss that shirt!

I found out that it longer changed colors, after many washes as well.

Check for new replies or respond here...