inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: So I watched "The Wedding Singer" again....

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/16/06 at 3:20 pm

Well, the second half of it anyway.  I hadn't watched it before since 2001.

Here's some things I noticed:

*The Flock of Seagulls joke was forced and off-based
*The picture quality of the movie looks as close to actual 1980s picture quality as it does to modern quality, probably because it's from the end of the VHS era (1998, as close to the end of the '80s as now)
*The interior decorating seems accurate, from what I know about the '80s
*The music rings more of 1983 than 1985, although it could have taken place in 1985.
*The Van Halen joke was clever, if inaccurate
*Why is "Love My Way" played in the club?  That song was like 4 years old then.  Then again, "Butterfly" by CrazyTown from 2001 is probably played in clubs today from time to time
*The CD thing seems off.  Sure, CDS were rare in 1985, but I don't think they were unknown
*The old lady fetish seems on

Subject: Re: So I watched "The Wedding Singer" again....

Written By: Marty McFly on 02/16/06 at 3:35 pm

I should give it a detailed watch again, but I think I get what you're saying.

I have always thought it spanned 1981 to 1986 (going from "Who shot JR" references and Holly getting frustrated with the Rubik's Cube, to the CD player Glen bought). But it centers more on late 1983 or thereabouts.

P.S. I always thought the Flock of Seagulls joke with the airline guy should've been "expanded". In other words, Robbie should've mentioned something about his music, prompting the guy to ask him if he was into AFOS.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/16/06 at 3:38 pm

I should give it a detailed watch again, but I think I get what you're saying.

I have always thought it spanned 1981 to 1986 (going from "Who shot JR" references and Holly getting frustrated with the Rubik's Cube, to the CD player Glen bought). But it centers more on late 1983 or thereabouts.

P.S. I always thought the Flock of Seagulls joke with the airline guy should've been "expanded". In other words, Robbie should've mentioned something about his music, prompting the guy to ask him if he was into AFOS.

I agree.  Maybe they should have made a reference about AFOS being outdated at the time. Actually, I think they kind of were implying that it was out of style by 1985:

"Do you like Flock of Seagulls?"
"I can see you do".

Yeah, the movie seemed to take 1979 to 1986 and make it the summer of 1985.  1984 would have been best.

Written By: Marty McFly on 02/16/06 at 3:42 pm

I agree.  Maybe they should have made a reference about AFOS being outdated at the time. Actually, I think they kind of were implying that it was out of style by 1985:

"Do you like Flock of Seagulls?"
"I can see you do".

Yeah, the movie seemed to take 1979 to 1986 and make it the summer of 1985.  1984 would have been best.

That's true, like the airline guy was stuck in 1982 (back then, being a couple years outdated was a big deal unlike today, where no one will even notice a 2002 thing in '05).

The old lady was singing "Rapper's Delight" (which, despite being one of the funniest parts -- I wish all old ladies were that cool, LOL) and Robbie sings "Love Stinks" in the beginning (from 1979 and '80 respectively).

I do think 1984 would've been perfect, since that was the peak of the '80s. :)

Even 1983 had some vague 70-ish songs and looks. 1985 was a slightly pared down '84. And even by 1986, things were very slowly looking towards the '90s.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/16/06 at 3:44 pm

That's true, like the airline guy was stuck in 1982 (back then, being a couple years outdated was a big deal unlike today, where no one will even notice a 2002 thing in '05).

The old lady was singing "Rapper's Delight" (which, despite being one of the funniest parts -- I wish all old ladies were that cool, LOL) and Robbie sings "Love Stinks" in the beginning (from 1979 and '80 respectively).

I do think 1984 would've been perfect, since that was the peak of the '80s. :)

Even 1983 had some vague 70-ish songs and looks. 1985 was a slightly pared down '84. And even by 1986, things were very slowly looking towards the '90s.

Yeah, come to think of it, I think the point of the Flock of Seagulls thing was to show that even in 1985 it looked incredibly stupid.  I mean really, I think most '80s styles are overrated in how bad they are and some even look nice, but that hairdo really is grotesque  ;D

Written By: stingr22 on 02/16/06 at 11:17 pm

Even though The Wedding Singer is one of my favorite movies, I did find a few flaws.  Among them, by August 1985, the original lineup of Van Halen had already broken up and Sammy Hagar was working on a new album with them.  Also, I don't remember any girls wearing the hairstyle that Drew Barrymore had.  Like was mentioned earlier, a lot of the music was already a couple years old by 1985.

But the one thing that I haven't heard anyone else mention that was either an oversight or was thrown in to see if anyone would notice, was the date that Glen and Julia had originally set for their wedding.  After Robby tells Sammy that he got the limo job for the wedding, he tells him that the date is August 5.  In 1985, August 5 fell on a Monday - not a traditional day to have a wedding.  Just thought that was a bit humorous.

http://www.geocities.com/yardjock/weddingsinger.jpg

Written By: Australian80sChild on 02/18/06 at 3:16 am

also another thing i dont see when the '80s is re-created - those solid colour duo-sex windcheaters

Check for new replies or respond here...