inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: '80s Bands That Don't Sound Particulary '80s

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/17/06 at 11:51 pm

Pet Shop Boys don't really sound particulary '80s.  Neither do Talking Heads, really, except for "Wild Wild Life" and "Burning Down The House".  Even the Police don't really sound especially 1980s.

Subject: Re: '80s Bands That Don't Sound Particulary '80s

Written By: Coastal Influence on 02/18/06 at 11:07 pm

Sting (solo) artist too. He came out with an album in '87 "Nothing Like The Sun" sounds very 90's to me.

Written By: Marty McFly on 02/19/06 at 5:05 pm

I'd agree with these. ^ BTW, about Sting, it's funny, but I think his '93 hit "If I Ever Lose My Faith in You" sounds more "80s" than most of his real '80s songs (which sound more "90s". "Be Still My Beating Heart" is a good example). ;)

Others off the top of my head:

George Thorogood -- Timeless classic/hard rock.

Stray Cats -- '50s rockablity with an '80s production.

Simply Red -- I'd call them jazz/R&B/soul influenced new wave. Although "Money's Too Tight" sounds '80s, most of their songs are very unique.

John Mellencamp -- Had some '80s touches, but never enough to really date itself. Again, he's pretty much heartland rock/classic rock that doesn't necesarilly sound dated for its time, but could have come out in the '70s too, if you know what I mean.

U2 -- Sound more like a '90s band actually, even their more "80s" songs like "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For".

Written By: whistledog on 02/20/06 at 12:27 am

Killing Joke.  The style of some of their songs sounded alot like 90's alternative rock

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/20/06 at 12:50 am

I'd agree with these. ^ BTW, about Sting, it's funny, but I think his '93 hit "If I Ever Lose My Faith in You" sounds more "80s" than most of his real '80s songs (which sound more "90s". "Be Still My Beating Heart" is a good example). ;)

Others off the top of my head:

George Thorogood -- Timeless classic/hard rock.

Stray Cats -- '50s rockablity with an '80s production.

Simply Red -- I'd call them jazz/R&B/soul influenced new wave. Although "Money's Too Tight" sounds '80s, most of their songs are very unique.

John Mellencamp -- Had some '80s touches, but never enough to really date itself. Again, he's pretty much heartland rock/classic rock that doesn't necesarilly sound dated for its time, but could have come out in the '70s too, if you know what I mean.

U2 -- Sound more like a '90s band actually, even their more "80s" songs like "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For".

I'd agree with all of these.

Strangely, Huey Lewis, even though he's essentially 1980s rockabilly, does sound quite '80s to me.  Even though he didn't do a lot of guitar stuff, the structure and production of his music is very very Eighties.

Oddly, a lot of New Wave bands aren't especially '80s.  Even Depeche Mode transformed into the '90s alot, and Devo were almost as much a '70s band. New Wave, I'd say, is actually similar to hip hop in production.

Written By: Marty McFly on 02/20/06 at 12:56 am

I'd agree with all of these.

Strangely, Huey Lewis, even though he's essentially 1980s rockabilly, does sound quite '80s to me.  Even though he didn't do a lot of guitar stuff, the structure and production of his music is very very Eighties.

Oddly, a lot of New Wave bands aren't especially '80s.  Even Depeche Mode transformed into the '90s alot, and Devo were almost as much a '70s band. New Wave, I'd say, is actually similar to hip hop in production.

Huey Lewis was very pseudo "oldies rock", partly from blues and R&B traces in his music (I've heard he's a big fan of 50s/60s music -- from his childhood/teen years -- and it definitely shows).

Overall he's like a mix of arena rock and rockablility. The only songs that could be really guitar rockish might be "Heart and Soul", I Want a New Drug, and Workin' for a Living. Maybe "Power of Love" too.

I see what you mean about New Wave too. In a certain way, it's like the most "80s" 80s music, but in another way it's not. It does share some general production and feel in common with '90s and '00s Alternative rock.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/20/06 at 1:06 am

Huey Lewis was very pseudo "oldies rock", partly from blues and R&B traces in his music (I've heard he's a big fan of 50s/60s music -- from his childhood/teen years -- and it definitely shows).

Overall he's like a mix of arena rock and rockablility. The only songs that could be really guitar rockish might be "Heart and Soul", I Want a New Drug, and Workin' for a Living. Maybe "Power of Love" too.

I see what you mean about New Wave too. In a certain way, it's like the most "80s" 80s music, but in another way it's not. It does share some general production and feel in common with '90s and '00s Alternative rock.

Actually, I would actually say real New Wave (as opposed to new wave pop) is a subgenre of indie rock.  Because it is essentially punk-based, and was never really totally mainstream, even in the '80s.

Written By: Marty McFly on 02/20/06 at 1:17 am

^ Yeah. Many MANY people seem to forget that new wave is essentially softened punk rock. It's kind of a paradox that (admittedly a very poppified version of) new wave is some of the most commercial/Top 40 music of the '80s, when the genre it stems from is very NON-commercial and would prefer to stay that way.

I wonder if Gary Numan's "Cars" helped change the sound of new wave from toned down punk to Billboard? The new wave of 1977-81 was more underground, whereas 1982-85 was very commercial.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/20/06 at 1:19 am

^ Yeah. Many MANY people seem to forget that new wave is essentially softened punk rock. It's kind of a paradox that (admittedly a very poppified version of) new wave is some of the most commercial/Top 40 music of the '80s, when the genre it stems from is very NON-commercial and would prefer to stay that way.

I wonder if Gary Numan's "Cars" helped change the sound of new wave from toned down punk to Billboard? The new wave of 1977-81 was more underground, whereas 1982-85 was very commercial.

I'd say so.

I think what brought New Wave to the forefront was the KEYBOARDS. Really, is anything more catchy than a good synth line?

Written By: whistledog on 02/20/06 at 1:30 am

how about "Johnny B. Goode" by Marty McFly with the Starlighters.  He was in 1955, playing a 50's hit with an 80's sound ;D

Written By: Marty McFly on 02/20/06 at 1:34 am

I'd say so.

I think what brought New Wave to the forefront was the KEYBOARDS. Really, is anything more catchy than a good synth line?

Synths work wonders in almost any kind of song, but they really accentuated ballads IMO.

Another general observation is that punk rock tended to be either political in an Anarchist sense or at least with some disdain for government (particularly the British stuff) or complained about day to day life. New wave almost always stayed away from that (sure, there was political new wave - the Police for instance) and focused on happy stuff or more typical subjects like relationships.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/20/06 at 1:35 am

Synths work wonders in almost any kind of song, but they really accentuated ballads IMO.

Another general observation is that punk rock tended to be either political in an Anarchist sense or at least with some disdain for government (particularly the British stuff) or complained about day to day life. New wave almost always stayed away from that (sure, there was political new wave - the Police for instance) and focused on happy stuff or more typical subjects like relationships.

The more "alternative" New Wave, like Talking Heads, Devo, Tears for Fears, Police, Depeche Mode, seemed to be critical but not angry or necessarily even political.  A lot just seemed "observant", if that makes sense. 

Check for new replies or respond here...