inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Soda in the 80's

Written By: nortbort on 02/19/06 at 1:44 am

I've been trying to remember a name of a soda I used to drink as a kid in the 80's. All I can remember is that the cans had a skyline at night (I think). I remember the flavors being raspberry and things like that. Sorry for such little info, the memories are starting to get faint. Can anyone help?

Subject: Re: Soda in the 80's

Written By: Coastal Influence on 02/19/06 at 4:55 pm

Shasta? I remember Shasta in the 80's.

I remember back in May of 1985 having chocolate soda for the first time.  Can't remember who made it though.

Written By: oingo_fan on 02/19/06 at 9:57 pm

New York Seltzer.  I drank GALLONS of the stuff.

dandicom.com/rb/nyseltzer.shtml

Written By: lleelee on 02/19/06 at 10:30 pm

There was a time I cant believe I use to drink "Jolt Soda" and the "Pepsi clear soda". :-\\

Written By: Webstor on 02/20/06 at 6:20 am

Yeah...that is NY Seltzer

I remember drinkin a bunch of that stuff as a kid too.....

Written By: agoraphobicwhacko on 02/20/06 at 8:25 am

You guys remember Like Cola? It was made by 7-Up. It was delicious, but had no caffeine. It wasn't marketed very well either. It was always really cheap, and it gave the impression that it was a generic soda. Unfortunately, it was discontinued in the late 80's. I remember at my school once back in 1986, the teachers had all the students do one of those cola taste tests(I dont know why). It was between Coke, Pepsi, Like, Shasta, RC, and C&C. Like won.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/20/06 at 8:35 am

There was a time I cant believe I use to drink "Jolt Soda" and the "Pepsi clear soda". :-\\

I had Jolt Cola once, I don't think I'll drink it again.  ;D

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/20/06 at 8:36 am

Another cola I remember was Pepsi Free, I also didn't like drinking it.  ;D

Written By: gmann on 02/20/06 at 12:04 pm

You guys remember Like Cola? It was made by 7-Up. It was delicious, but had no caffeine. It wasn't marketed very well either. It was always really cheap, and it gave the impression that it was a generic soda. Unfortunately, it was discontinued in the late 80's. I remember at my school once back in 1986, the teachers had all the students do one of those cola taste tests(I dont know why). It was between Coke, Pepsi, Like, Shasta, RC, and C&C. Like won.

I haven't thought of "Like" cola in years. For some reason, I associate actor Tim Conway with it. Didn't he do some TV endorsements for it?

As for Shasta, you can still find it now and then...if you look hard enough. Their grape soda is great!

Written By: Slater on 02/20/06 at 12:48 pm

I recall a diet soda called Tab. Don't know if that's still around.

Written By: gmann on 02/20/06 at 1:09 pm

Yeah, you can still find it. I saw several cases of Tab at the grocery store last week. My wife doesn't remember it from back in the day, but I had to remind her of the initial diner scene from "Back to the Future":

Marty: "Can I get a Tab?"
Cook: (obviously confused) "No, I can't give ya a tab!"
Marty: "How 'bout a Pepsi Free?"
cook: I can't give you a Pepsi for free...you gotta pay for it."

Written By: TheRemf on 02/20/06 at 1:32 pm

I started diet sodas with Tab in the summer of '79.  At the end of the summer I couldn't go back to regular soda.  Been drinking diet drinks ever since.  I'd like to be able to find Tab, actually.  When you got used to that sacchrine, you liked it.

I remember drinking a lot of Jolt my first year at law school.  My contracts professor one afternoon noticed it and decided to pick on me the entire class period - "I see that's Jolt you've got there in front of you, Mr. Remfry.  Do you find my presentations boring?"  Still at twice the caffeine, it was definitely a student's drink.

New York sodas were great!

Of course the biggest debacle for sodas in the 80s was "New Coke."  That didn't last long.

Written By: rich1981 on 02/20/06 at 2:53 pm

I remembered the Nutra-Sweet label, as the sweetener was contained in many diet drinks, but I don't see it anymore.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 02/20/06 at 2:56 pm

I believe Diet Coke came out in the 80s.  That's the only pop I'll drink; I can't stand the regular stuff.  I've been drinking Diet Coke for so long that even regular Sprite gives me problems.  If I can't get Diet Coke , I'll drink Diet Pepsi.  I've been known to drink Sprite Zero and Diet Dr. Pepper.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 02/20/06 at 6:20 pm

Canfield's Diet Chocolate Soda and Coke Classic rather than New Coke....

Written By: agoraphobicwhacko on 02/21/06 at 7:05 am

I haven't thought of "Like" cola in years. For some reason, I associate actor Tim Conway with it. Didn't he do some TV endorsements for it?

As for Shasta, you can still find it now and then...if you look hard enough. Their grape soda is great!
Yeah, I think you're right about Tim Conway. As for Shasta, its all over the place where I live(Modesto,CA). There's one of those 99 cent stores here, and you can get a 6 pack for that price. I buy it ocassionally, but it doesn't taste as good as I remember it. I always get cola though. Next time I get some, I'll try grape. Haven't had that since childhood.

Written By: spaceace on 02/21/06 at 9:26 am

Anyone rember Pepsi Light?  (With lemon)  Why can I still sing that comercial? :)

Written By: BCRichrocker on 02/21/06 at 11:35 am

King Kola, Like Cola, Jolt, Aspen (apple soda), Fresca, Tab, RC Cola, New Coke, NY Seltzer and all of the seltzer knock offs. Those soda's really remind me of the 80s.

Written By: Southern Image on 02/21/06 at 11:50 am

King Kola, Like Cola, Jolt, Aspen (apple soda), Fresca, Tab, RC Cola, New Coke, NY Seltzer and all of the seltzer knock offs. Those soda's really remind me of the 80s.

I loved Aspen. Now to me, that was the 80s. ;)

Written By: agoraphobicwhacko on 02/22/06 at 3:36 am

RC Cola
That is still sold here in California.

Written By: PE on 02/22/06 at 4:21 am

Tab is still around.  Pepsi Light, the first soda with a twist of Lemon

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 02/22/06 at 4:45 am

Tab is still around.  Pepsi Light, the first soda with a twist of Lemon

Crikey I'd forgot about Tab, wasn't it in a pinkish can? I always thought it had an unfortunately name - TAB which in the UK is slang for a cigarette  ;D

think I'll have a TAB  ;D ;D

Written By: BCRichrocker on 02/22/06 at 10:54 am

Yes, Tab, RC, and possibly even Jolt are still around. My point is what soda reminded me of the 80s, not just what actually existed back then.

Written By: gmann on 02/22/06 at 1:42 pm

RC and Moon Pies --a combination I believe to be a southern thing, just in case you're wondering.  8) RC Cola is still a frequent lunchtime beverage for this individual, if for no other reason than its 79 cent price tag. I've seen Jolt from time to time, but never experienced "twice the caffeine". During a long ago road trip, I asked my dad for some Jolt. He shuddered after reading the slogan and said I had had enough sugar for one day.   

Written By: agoraphobicwhacko on 02/23/06 at 3:42 am

RC and Moon Pies --a combination I believe to be a southern thing, .   
Are you serious?? At a Guns N Roses forum I go to alot, this one guy made this hilarious joke and he made a reference to RC and Moon pies, and I almost died from laughing.

Written By: gmann on 02/23/06 at 6:24 am

Are you serious?? At a Guns N Roses forum I go to alot, this one guy made this hilarious joke and he made a reference to RC and Moon pies, and I almost died from laughing.

I guess some GnR fans get around more than I thought.  ;D I don't know if RC and Moon Pies is a regional dish, but I've always associated it with southern things. I could be wrong.

Written By: Webstor on 02/23/06 at 6:30 pm

Faygo reminds me of the 80's.....all different flavors.....

My family would buy like 6 flats of assorted Faygo when we would take our road trip vacations to Wildwood, NJ every summer and we would drink it WARM....ug... you were more thirsty AFTER you drank it because the sodium content is so high

Check for new replies or respond here...