inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: When did the '80s atmosphere go away?

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/19/06 at 3:47 am

I wasn't there, so I won't vote, but I think 1988 was probably the last year that really felt like the '80s beyond what was on the radio and TV.

Subject: Re: When did the '80s atmosphere go away?

Written By: Gis on 02/19/06 at 5:44 am

Nah that's too early. I went backpacking around America in 1989 and it was still a total 80's vibe then.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/19/06 at 7:14 am

New Year's Eve 1989!

Written By: velvetoneo on 02/19/06 at 11:16 am

I think by 1989 the '80s atmosphere was basically over, and alot of precursors to the '90s were there in early form, like alt rock, pop-punk, industrial music, slow jam soul, etc. It was more transitional early '90sish than anything else, that's the impression I get. Like darker, grungier clothing and styles were already more in then, I think, as opposed to the VERY flamboyant styles from earlier in the '80s. Also, rap was really starting to hit the spotlight about then and hair metal and '80s synth pop had well ceased to be big by then. Also, Baywatch, The Simpsons, Saved by the Bell, Seinfeld, America's Funniest Home Videos started that year and Dynasty, Miami Vice, Moonlighting, and Webster ended that year. The Little Mermaid, which started Disney's amazing run of high-quality animated features in the early-mid '90s, was '89, and Batman was that year, which was a very early '90s thing. Honey, I Shrunk the Kids was that year, too. I could probably go on and on. Also, I think '89 was when we briefly switched over to the George H.W. Bush era very dark, urban look that died out by '96 or so.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 02/19/06 at 11:37 am

I'd say it was a slow phasing out process that started in '88 as we started to move in the 90's and was offically killed in 1991.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 02/19/06 at 11:42 am

I wasn't there, so I won't vote, but I think 1988 was probably the last year that really felt like the '80s beyond what was on the radio and TV.

But if you weren't there, you really wouldn't know, now would ya? lol -  ;)

Written By: velvetoneo on 02/19/06 at 12:03 pm

I'd say it was a slow phasing out process that started in '88 as we started to move in the 90's and was offically killed in 1991.

Yeah, I'd say that's probably true. With the '90s we started phasing out in '99 and it was offically killed in '01.

Written By: batfan2005 on 02/19/06 at 12:13 pm

I think by 1989 the '80s atmosphere was basically over, and alot of precursors to the '90s were there in early form, like alt rock, pop-punk, industrial music, slow jam soul, etc. It was more transitional early '90sish than anything else, that's the impression I get. Like darker, grungier clothing and styles were already more in then, I think, as opposed to the VERY flamboyant styles from earlier in the '80s. Also, rap was really starting to hit the spotlight about then and hair metal and '80s synth pop had well ceased to be big by then. Also, Baywatch, The Simpsons, Saved by the Bell, Seinfeld, America's Funniest Home Videos started that year and Dynasty, Miami Vice, Moonlighting, and Webster ended that year. The Little Mermaid, which started Disney's amazing run of high-quality animated features in the early-mid '90s, was '89, and Batman was that year, which was a very early '90s thing. Honey, I Shrunk the Kids was that year, too. I could probably go on and on. Also, I think '89 was when we briefly switched over to the George H.W. Bush era very dark, urban look that died out by '96 or so.

Yeah, I agree with you there. 1989 (especially the later half) was pop-culturally the beginning of the 90's. Also, the Arsenio Hall Show and the music of Bobby Brown was big that year, and hip-hop and r&b became mainstream. The styles of the Early 90's was only around as long as George H.W. Bush was, because 1993 (Clinton's inaugural year) was the beginning of the era when grunge and alternative rock bands became mainstream. '93 was also when gangsta rap artists like Dr. Dre and 2Pac became really big.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/19/06 at 12:34 pm

Written By: Coastal Influence on 02/19/06 at 4:49 pm

Written By: Sister Morphine on 02/19/06 at 4:51 pm

I say 1989.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/19/06 at 4:51 pm

So 1988 was the last "'80s" year?

Written By: Marty McFly on 02/19/06 at 5:09 pm

For 100% "Miami Vice/Madonna/early MTV/Valley Girl talking" 80's, 1985 was the last year (even by '86 there were some very early roots of what would become the '90s. Very little, but it was there, such as Run DMC and the Beastie Boys).

Although in general, the "late 80s into early 90s" transitional period was 1988-91 and maybe '92 as well.

1986 and '87 honestly feel like their own time to me. Not quite "90-ish", but also slightly past the peak of the 1984-ish 80's.

P.S. I was 7 and 8 in 1989. Is that old enough to comment without persecution?  :P

Written By: Jewel on 02/19/06 at 5:21 pm

I didn't vote because I'm not entirely sure. I saw a video from 1988 once, and there was a hint of grunge to it, and by 1989 there were even more songs with grunge undertones like the Cure's "Love Song". In 1990 there was still had a remarkable amount of an '80s culture with mall bangs, eyeliner, neon clothes. 1991 still had a little bit, but then Nirvana stepped out....

Written By: Marty McFly on 02/19/06 at 5:28 pm

^Yeah, there was alot of college rock type stuff in the late '80s.

You know, I just realized in many ways, there's almost a semi regression at the beginning of a decade.

What do I mean? I think it's easy for us to say we're sick of a certain time, and can't wait to see what the next decade has. That's the feeling I got from 1979 in the '70s, and 1988-89 for the '80s. Kind of wanting the current decade to be over and waiting for the next one.

But then when we're in the very early part of the decade, it's like "Whoa wait, let's take a look back at what we're missing before we say goodbye forever."

That's actually why, in many respects 1988 and '89 feel more "90s" than 1990 and the first half of '91 do, and why 1979 feels almost more "80s" than '80 does. ;)

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 02/19/06 at 7:52 pm

So 1988 was the last "'80s" year?

I'd say '87 maybe even '86 was the last truly "80's" year because I beleive that '88-'91 were all transitional.

Written By: robby76 on 02/19/06 at 8:16 pm

For 100% "Miami Vice/Madonna/early MTV/Valley Girl talking" 80's, 1985 was the last year (even by '86 there were some very early roots of what would become the '90s. Very little, but it was there, such as Run DMC and the Beastie Boys).

Although in general, the "late 80s into early 90s" transitional period was 1988-91 and maybe '92 as well.

Agreed... I actually voted 1991 for the overall 80's feel, but the true 80's ended around 86/87.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/20/06 at 1:04 am

1986 and '87 honestly feel like their own time to me. Not quite "90-ish", but also slightly past the peak of the 1984-ish 80's.

P.S. I was 7 and 8 in 1989. Is that old enough to comment without persecution?  :P

7 and 8 is certainly old enough.  It's insane to think that you can't remember stuff from then.  I can remember 1997-'98 almost like yesterday, even if it seems like a long time ago (it doesn't seem circa 10 years ago!)

Written By: Marty McFly on 02/20/06 at 1:13 am

^ I definitely get bewildered from both the point of view of (1) someone who claims they can't remember anything popular before age 10, as well as (2) people who claim you can't have input or a proper view of anything from your childhood because you weren't "there" etc. It's just totally alien to me.

For instance, this came up on another message board I go to. I was talking with someone (he's actually a pretty cool guy who I like) born in '69 who said he thought to accurately remember the '80s you had to be a teenager in every year (because he claims not to remember the '70s much). I was thinking: Dude, WTF????

I admit even as late as age 5, a few things are hazy, but if you're 7 you're at least in first grade. That's old enough to have a very clear picture of an era. Indeed I always felt very close to 1988 and '89. Even 1985-most of '87 is pretty clear, even if it's largely from a kid's perspective. Perhaps my lifelong love of '80s music/movies/culture/events as well as my own past has made me always "keep in touch" with it?

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/20/06 at 1:17 am

^ I definitely get bewildered from both the point of view of (1) someone who claims they can't remember anything popular before age 10, as well as (2) people who claim you can't have input or a proper view of anything from your childhood because you weren't "there" etc. It's just totally alien to me.

For instance, this came up on another message board I go to. I was talking with someone (he's actually a pretty cool guy who I like) born in '69 who said he thought to accurately remember the '80s you had to be a teenager in every year (because he claims not to remember the '70s much). I was thinking: Dude, WTF????

I admit even as late as age 5, a few things are hazy, but if you're 7 you're at least in first grade. That's old enough to have a very clear picture of an era. Indeed I always felt very close to 1988 and '89. Even 1985-most of '87 is pretty clear, even if it's largely from a kid's perspective. Perhaps my lifelong love of '80s music/movies/culture/events as well as my own past has made me always "keep in touch" with it?

I agree.

To relate to the '90s (for I'm about 8 years younger than you), I've always seen 1993 and 1994 as vague, but enough that I can barely feel what they were like. 1999 is the only year of the '90s I was really a "part of", but that doesn't mean I don't remember stuff from before then, like old school Nick.

That assumption that memory starts at age 10 almost makes me angry.  Well, not really, but it's pretty annoying to me for some reason.

Written By: velvetoneo on 02/20/06 at 1:20 am

I think of '92 as barely being able to remember it but still being able to get the idea of what it was like and the clothing (I have a vivid memory of a vacation in the Poconoes then, when I think of it it almost still looks '80s), '93 is vague but I remember it alot better, and '94 and '95 I remember quite well.

Written By: bbigd04 on 02/20/06 at 1:25 am

Yea I agree, I can remember A LOT before I was 10 of course I have a real good memory. I can remember very specific things like where I was when the OJ verdict was read. I remember the exact day I started first grade, Wednesday, August 25th, 1993. Heck I can even remember when I was still in my crib in like 1989. I can remember quite a bit from the early '90s even though I was so young. I was quite aware of the enviroment at a young age.

Written By: Marty McFly on 02/20/06 at 1:25 am

I agree.

To relate to the '90s (for I'm about 8 years younger than you), I've always seen 1993 and 1994 as vague, but enough that I can barely feel what they were like. 1999 is the only year of the '90s I was really a "part of", but that doesn't mean I don't remember stuff from before then, like old school Nick.

That assumption that memory starts at age 10 almost makes me angry.  Well, not really, but it's pretty annoying to me for some reason.

Same here.

Perhaps the reason is that we have so much exposure to pop culture -- both good and bad -- in recent years, especially from the Internet. So we get imprinted/tied down earlier than we used to (I'm not criticizing that, I'm definitely in that group too).

A 1970-er may have only had kids toys before 1979 or before 1982, or they had stricter parents who forbade them to watch TV/listen to the radio, etc. Therefore they really only started to individualize as a 14 year old in '84 for instance. Because of that, maybe they feel it's the same for everyone.

Another assumption that actually does make me angry sometimes (especially when I was in that age range myself) was that a kid/young teen was "stupid" or shouldn't be articulate/open minded. It's difficult to describe, but like they were supposed to be naive or uneducated on stuff and just "be kids". When I was 13 or 14 I freakin' HATED that!!

Some people might not "get" that a 5 year old could understand pop culture, or that a 13 year old could understand politics, sex, or "adult" things in the world, etc. I'm very fortunate to have parents that did/do, so in a way I almost felt more sorry for kids who don't/didn't.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/20/06 at 1:28 am

Same here.

Perhaps the reason is that we have so much exposure to pop culture -- both good and bad -- in recent years, especially from the Internet. So we get imprinted/tied down earlier than we used to (I'm not criticizing that, I'm definitely in that group too).

A 1970-er may have only had kids toys before 1979 or before 1982, or they had stricter parents who forbade them to watch TV/listen to the radio, etc. Therefore they really only started to individualize as a 14 year old in '84 for instance. Because of that, maybe they feel it's the same for everyone.

Another assumption that actually does make me angry sometimes (especially when I was in that age range myself) was that a kid/young teen was "stupid" or shouldn't be articulate/open minded. It's difficult to describe, but like they were supposed to be naive or uneducated on stuff and just "be kids". When I was 13 or 14 I freakin' HATED that!!

Some people might not "get" that a 5 year old could understand pop culture, or that a 13 year old could understand politics, sex, or "adult" things in the world, etc. I'm very fortunate to have parents that did/do, so in a way I almost felt more sorry for kids who don't/didn't.

You know what?  I think a lot of kids, even as young as 8 essentially think like adults.  That's not to say that they should be treated like adults, but most 11-year kids, for instance seem really teen-ish, and are pretty much as conscious as a 30-year old.

I knew about sex and stuff probably completely by age 12, but the idea was there before that, I just didn't know ... well how it worked  ;D

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 02/20/06 at 1:30 am

Same here.

Yeah kids are alot smarter than people give them credit for I kept up with alot of pop culture when I was young during the 90's.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/20/06 at 1:32 am

Yeah kids are alot smarter than people give them credit for I kept up with alot of pop culture when I was young during the 90's.

I agree.

I guess I can understand why people wouldn't think a 5 or 7 year old could remember stuff ... they seem pretty dumb.  But that's not quite a good enough excuse, since they were that age one time too.

3-9 is a very formative age.

Written By: velvetoneo on 02/20/06 at 1:36 am

I think I remember things earlier than my parents did because I went to school from the time I was 2, so I had alot more different things to remember. My parents only have very vague displaced memories of the fifties, and they were born in 1955, though I remember 1993-1994 and even 1992 a little bit, definitely.

Written By: bbigd04 on 02/20/06 at 1:38 am

I think I remember things earlier than my parents did because I went to school from the time I was 2, so I had alot more different things to remember. My parents only have very vague displaced memories of the fifties, and they were born in 1955, though I remember 1993-1994 and even 1992 a little bit, definitely.

Yea I was doing a project on 1959 a few years ago and asked my dad born in 1952 if he remembered anything and he laughed at me, lol.

Written By: velvetoneo on 02/20/06 at 1:40 am

Also, there was alot less to do back then, I think. Kids' lives were alot quieter until the '60s. I think my dad's first memories is when he was four in 1959, but my mom has pretty vivid memories of Pre-K and kindergarten, like she can actually remember she played with such and such a child on such and such a day in 1960.

Written By: Marty McFly on 02/20/06 at 1:40 am

You know what?  I think a lot of kids, even as young as 8 essentially think like adults.  That's not to say that they should be treated like adults, but most 11-year kids, for instance seem really teen-ish, and are pretty much as conscious as a 30-year old.

I knew about sex and stuff probably completely by age 12, but the idea was there before that, I just didn't know ... well how it worked  ;D

These days that's especially true.

People who knew me in my childhood (age 7, 9, etc) who told my parents I could carry on a conversation like an adult. I always was interested in what they said, partly to learn from other perspectives. That's one reason I never recall thinking someone age 40 was "old" like so many kids seem to.

Seriously, if I were talking to a 40 year old in 1990, my mind told me they were 10 in 1960, 20 in '70 etc. and they slowly became who they were today.

In short, I'd say it's best to treat everyone with respect. Even people who may have lower than normal intelligence, it doesn't mean they can't understand things. They may not communicate them the same way to you to assure us they get it, but they still DO get it in their own way. Same with children. ;)

P.S. To keep this as G rated as possible, I did ask my parents what sex was at age 7 and I'm forever grateful my dad explained it to me and didn't treat me like I was too young, etc (even if some of it didn't make sense for another few years, LOL).

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/20/06 at 1:43 am

These days that's especially true.

People who knew me in my childhood (age 7, 9, etc) who told my parents I could carry on a conversation like an adult. I always was interested in what they said, partly to learn from other perspectives. That's one reason I never recall thinking someone age 40 was "old" like so many kids seem to.

Seriously, if I were talking to a 40 year old in 1990, my mind told me they were 10 in 1960, 20 in '70 etc. and they slowly became who they were today.

In short, I'd say it's best to treat everyone with respect. Even people who may have lower than normal intelligence, it doesn't mean they can't understand things. They may not communicate them the same way to you to assure us they get it, but they still DO get it in their own way. Same with children. ;)

P.S. To keep this as G rated as possible, I did ask my parents what sex was at age 7 and I'm forever grateful my dad explained it to me and didn't treat me like I was too young, etc (even if some of it didn't make sense for another few years, LOL).

You know, in a way I think it's good to know about sex, etc. when you're young, as long as it's not in an intrusive/indecent way.  That way you're more accepting of it and it's less taboo.  I think the fast-paced/cutting-edge-ness of the '90s is also why I've always thought like an adult.

Written By: Marty McFly on 02/20/06 at 1:47 am

You know, in a way I think it's good to know about sex, etc. when you're young, as long as it's not in an intrusive/indecent way.  That way you're more accepting of it and it's less taboo.  I think the fast-paced/cutting-edge-ness of the '90s is also why I've always thought like an adult.

Yeah, knowledge in itself isn't a bad thing, it's what you do with it that (can) be. In other words, I think the thing to do as parents is to educate kids about right versus wrong, and basic life values, not restrict them from knowledge or things themselves. In the long run, that makes it worse actually.

If/when I have kids myself, I always felt that if they asked, I would treat them like they had intelligence and explain it. I'd try to be as "careful" about it as possible though - enough to inform them, but not to where it'd scare 'em or anything.

I don't mean for this to sound sexist, but I do think it's better to hear about it from the same gender parent. That certainly doesn't mean an opposite one isn't qualified to do it, but the kid will probably feel safer/more at home if it's done that way. I know I wouldn't feel comfortable explaining it to a daughter someday.

P.S. I was still only 8 in '90, so I agree it made me more aware of stuff like this growing up. Well, I also watched Dateline, talk shows and Unsolved Mysteries tons too! ;)

Written By: velvetoneo on 02/20/06 at 1:51 am

My parents told me about the process of impregnation in a very technical way, with seeds and eggs, when I was 5, according to them. But I didn't know anything mechanical about sex, like I didn't know where it came from. For all I knew, they planted it in the ground. I didn't really think about it, I just knew they combined and made a baby. I told everybody in kindergarten and so everybody in my grade probably thought that way for years  :).

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 02/20/06 at 2:17 am

1991 is when I could really see the difference between the 80's and the new decade. Movies and music sounded differently to me. Or maybe I was just noticing it more at that time.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 02/20/06 at 2:27 am

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/20/06 at 2:38 am

1991 is when I could really see the difference between the 80's and the new decade. Movies and music sounded differently to me. Or maybe I was just noticing it more at that time.

So you think 1990 was essentially an '80s extension?  Because I feel that way about 2000.

Written By: robby76 on 02/20/06 at 4:50 am

I think I remember things earlier than my parents did because I went to school from the time I was 2, so I had alot more different things to remember.

I started kindergarten at age 2 and a half in 1978 and I vividly remember my first day bawling my eyes out outside my house with my Mum trying to get me into the neighbours car.

Written By: Watcher29 on 02/20/06 at 8:32 am

I'd vote for 1992-93. End of the Reagan/Bush era, beginning of the Clinton administration. Not really anything Bill *did* during those times, but his election represented a shift in the way the country thought.

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 02/20/06 at 9:19 am

When did the 80's go away??

Ermm December 31st 23.59GMT? 

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 02/20/06 at 12:10 pm

So you think 1990 was essentially an '80s extension?  Because I feel that way about 2000.

Well, just pop culturally speaking, the 90's style (which I guess none of us could foresee until after the 90's ended) seemed to kick in around 1991.  That's when I noticed a change from 80's styles to certain 90's styles that became a staple of that decade. There were major clothes trends that lasted throughout the decade that originally began in 1991 or early 1992.

There was a HUGE thing for wearing Parkas. Parkas were a big fashion statement at that time and EVERY kid had to have them. People even outright stole them. This was not a thing of the 80's, but it was a big thing of the early 90's.

Also another thing I took notice of at this time (since for some reason I became very fashion conscious because of my dreams of becoming a fashion designer) were the popularity in Rayon shirts. Rayon became like the "it" material, not just for women but for men as well. It was "the" fashion cloth for at least 2 years (early 1991-end of 1992). 

Music, on the other hand, was more 80's influenced for what seemed a little bit longer. I think 1992 was more it's breakout year than 1991, as 1991 still sounded like, lets say 1989 or 1990.

So, I think this goes for any decade. Each decade that begins has the previous decades stuff to shake off, and that takes at least 1-3 years to happen until that decade really gets it's own style going. So, I'd say right now we're clearly out of the 90's right now. There's hardly anything hinging from that time. Even cars from the 90's are slowly disappearing. It's strange. I remember as a kid seeing SO many cars from the 70's always on the road. It seemed it was more common, but now there's hardly a car from the 70's that you do see. And very, very rarely a car from the 60's.

Written By: McDonald on 02/20/06 at 12:44 pm

I lived way up in the Aidrondack mountains, so I would have to say about 1992. We got things late.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/20/06 at 3:14 pm

Well, just pop culturally speaking, the 90's style (which I guess none of us could foresee until after the 90's ended) seemed to kick in around 1991.  That's when I noticed a change from 80's styles to certain 90's styles that became a staple of that decade. There were major clothes trends that lasted throughout the decade that originally began in 1991 or early 1992.

There was a HUGE thing for wearing Parkas. Parkas were a big fashion statement at that time and EVERY kid had to have them. People even outright stole them. This was not a thing of the 80's, but it was a big thing of the early 90's.

Also another thing I took notice of at this time (since for some reason I became very fashion conscious because of my dreams of becoming a fashion designer) were the popularity in Rayon shirts. Rayon became like the "it" material, not just for women but for men as well. It was "the" fashion cloth for at least 2 years (early 1991-end of 1992). 

Music, on the other hand, was more 80's influenced for what seemed a little bit longer. I think 1992 was more it's breakout year than 1991, as 1991 still sounded like, lets say 1989 or 1990.

So, I think this goes for any decade. Each decade that begins has the previous decades stuff to shake off, and that takes at least 1-3 years to happen until that decade really gets it's own style going. So, I'd say right now we're clearly out of the 90's right now. There's hardly anything hinging from that time. Even cars from the 90's are slowly disappearing. It's strange. I remember as a kid seeing SO many cars from the 70's always on the road. It seemed it was more common, but now there's hardly a car from the 70's that you do see. And very, very rarely a car from the 60's.

When did people stop wearing big hair?  I get the impression that this was around 1991, but the "bob/Rachel" cut was more 1993/'94.  Super-straight hair doesn't seem that fashionable today.

Written By: velvetoneo on 02/20/06 at 3:57 pm

I think it was sort of a backlash against the '80s.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 02/20/06 at 4:47 pm

When did people stop wearing big hair?  I get the impression that this was around 1991, but the "bob/Rachel" cut was more 1993/'94.  Super-straight hair doesn't seem that fashionable today.

Although for people who were fairly fashion conscious, big hair slowly went into decline around 1990-1991. Some people still wore it, even though it was totally out of favor. Instead of big hair, people got wavy or perms

Written By: velvetoneo on 02/20/06 at 4:52 pm

Also, there was the "Elaine" cut from Seinfeld, long hair with ringlets that's only slightly large around the forehead, and the messy scrunchy bun look that was pretty acceptable for girls under 18 in the '90s.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 02/20/06 at 6:56 pm

I think 1990 and maybe even '91 were both extensions of the 80's. The 90's didnt start in earnest until '92 with grunge explosion, '92 election etc.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/21/06 at 12:27 am

Although for people who were fairly fashion conscious, big hair slowly went into decline around 1990-1991. Some people still wore it, even though it was totally out of favor. Instead of big hair, people got wavy or perms

Ah, I see.  But it wasn't like 1995 straight either, it was more creative?  Like a transitional?

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 02/21/06 at 12:39 am

Ah, I see.  But it wasn't like 1995 straight either, it was more creative?  Like a transitional?

1995 is when hair became more sleak. Big hair was generally out of favor for the most part - except for maybe some really out of touch people.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/21/06 at 12:43 am

1995 is when hair became more sleak. Big hair was generally out of favor for the most part - except for maybe some really out of touch people.

Don't you think sleak hair is kind of out of style now?  It's not a huge fashion don't, but most girls I see don't have super-plain hair anymore, like they would in 1996.  It's not '80s poofy, but it has more volume.

Written By: Jewel on 02/21/06 at 12:43 am

I started kindergarten at age 2 and a half in 1978 and I vividly remember my first day bawling my eyes out outside my house with my Mum trying to get me into the neighbours car.

This is off topic...but you started kindergarten before you were 3!!?  :o

Isn't that rather young?

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/21/06 at 12:46 am

Off topic, but those hoop earrings have made a huge comeback!  1 of 3 girls I see has em, they're like more common now than they were in the actual 1980s!  ;D

Written By: velvetoneo on 02/21/06 at 1:01 am

Hoop earrings and name jewelry are huge right now. Sarah Jessica Parker and rappers started the trend and it's been going on for like five years now, since 2001.

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 02/21/06 at 3:27 am

but...but I still have BIG hair  :-[ :-[

Written By: BCRichrocker on 02/21/06 at 11:58 am

1991 was really the last year of the 80s "atmosphere". 1992 was a transitional year and by 1993 all but a very small select few 80s themes were still around. 1993 was truly the first "real" year of the 1990s styles and pop culture.

It's true that "big hair" was ending in 1990-91 as even with the "hair" bands you could see them growing their bangs out and having flatter more straight 70s style hair (G&R brought this look and sound back for the most part and their success influenced everyone else in mainstream rock).

But for women, Jennifer Anniston from "Friends" and her "choppy" no bangs flat hair look is what ended all things 80s for that gender. I think this was sometime around 1994.  After that every woman and her sister went out and got that look like lemmings. That was sort of a catalyst that brought about the 70s hair styles (flat, no bangs, Marcia Brady bunch look) again and we have never fully recovered to this day....

http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art4115.asp

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 02/21/06 at 2:32 pm

Don't you think sleak hair is kind of out of style now?  It's not a huge fashion don't, but most girls I see don't have super-plain hair anymore, like they would in 1996.  It's not '80s poofy, but it has more volume.

Yeah, super sleak hair is very out of style. I mean, there's some people who can get away with it, but for the most part - it's out of style. One style that drove me nuts is when girls would pull their hair straigh back, frizz out their bangs and have like two super skinny strands of hair dangle from each side of the face in a loose curl. And on top of that, wear make up that made their skin color look two shades more pale, and wear some kind of gothic color lipstick with obvious lip liner showing beneath it. It looked SO drastic and mean looking. I NEVER fell into that trap, thank God.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/21/06 at 2:53 pm

1991 was really the last year of the 80s "atmosphere". 1992 was a transitional year and by 1993 all but a very small select few 80s themes were still around. 1993 was truly the first "real" year of the 1990s styles and pop culture.

It's true that "big hair" was ending in 1990-91 as even with the "hair" bands you could see them growing their bangs out and having flatter more straight 70s style hair (G&R brought this look and sound back for the most part and their success influenced everyone else in mainstream rock).

But for women, Jennifer Anniston from "Friends" and her "choppy" no bangs flat hair look is what ended all things 80s for that gender. I think this was sometime around 1994.  After that every woman and her sister went out and got that look like lemmings. That was sort of a catalyst that brought about the 70s hair styles (flat, no bangs, Marcia Brady bunch look) again and we have never fully recovered to this day....

http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art4115.asp

That sounds right to me :)

Now, Full House probably isn't the most reliable source, but I see what you mean.  Actually, it was probably about mid-1989 where guys stopped having big hair (although, it wasn't particulary "grungy" until late 1991/1992). 

Girls, on the other hand, had more of a transitional.  It wasn't super-sleak, late '90s, but it wasn't overly excessive either.  Feathered bangs, etc. were still acceptable, but not big hair (see D.J. on Full House, circa 1990-91 and you'll see what I mean).  Would you say 1989 was the beginning of less big hair?

Written By: BCRichrocker on 02/21/06 at 3:30 pm

What is "sleak" hair? You mean dull lifeless straight no bangs or style hair, then yes, it still is very much in fashion. At least, on the television, movie screens, and general society that I live in.

Written By: velvetoneo on 02/21/06 at 3:41 pm

I think sleek hair was coming in by 1993, definitely, and it's been out since maybe '02, when the '00s started in earnest. IMO, the '80s died a slow death maybe beginning in '88 and noticeable through '89, and in '91 and '92 the zeitgeist and culture hadn't caught up yet, but it was definitely the '90s with alot of dying '80s.

Written By: BCRichrocker on 02/21/06 at 3:54 pm

The 00s started in "earnest"? Somehow I must have missed that too since from my perspective the 00s are just basically leftovers from the 90s with a little bit of some other decades seasoned in. They really don't have a distinct personality like the 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s, and 90s did previously (although the 90s were just a rehash of the 70s for the most part).

And I still see "sleek" hair everywhere. Since "big" hair would naturally be the opposite of "sleek" hair,  and I don't see much hairsprayed fluff walking around on people's heads, then I have to deduce that their straight flat hair is what you guys are labeling as "sleek".

Funny, I never heard that term used before either. Must be an invention of this decade, sort of like how the term "hair" metal was invented in the 90s to label the Pop Metal look and bands. But that was mainly derogative to the genre', and the term "sleak" is not negative connotating, no?

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/21/06 at 4:05 pm

The 00s started in "earnest"? Somehow I must have missed that too since from my perspective the 00s are just basically leftovers from the 90s with a little bit of some other decades seasoned in. They really don't have a distinct personality like the 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s, and 90s did previously (although the 90s were just a rehash of the 70s for the most part).

And I still see "sleek" hair everywhere. Since "big" hair would naturally be the opposite of "sleek" hair,  and I don't see much hairsprayed fluff walking around on people's heads, then I have to deduce that their straight flat hair is what you guys are labeling as "sleek".

Funny, I never heard that term used before either. Must be an invention of this decade, sort of like how the term "hair" metal was invented in the 90s to label the Pop Metal look and bands. But that was mainly derogative to the genre', and the term "sleak" is not negative connotating, no?

I agree.  The '00s are really just a bastardized '90s.  With a little Eighties thrown in, but mainly just for nostalgia.  The only huge '80s return is generally campiness of the '00s (as opposed to the super-serious, PC 1990s) and those hoop earrings.

And I agree about the '90s really being the return of the Seventies too.  Usually, retro doesn't really bring back a time, but just a few aspects of it, (i.e. 50s nostalgia made leather jackets popular during the '80s).  But during the '90s, there was SO MUCH '70s nostalgia that it almost felt like the '70s.  Really, That 70s Show could easily be in the '90s if it weren't for the technology and references.

Written By: velvetoneo on 02/21/06 at 5:30 pm

The boomers started getting nostalgic for the '70s during their '90s midlife crises, their decade of choice, and so everything became the '70s. Like all the movies and TV ideas, clothing, music...it was an updated version of the '70s, basically.

Written By: BCRichrocker on 02/21/06 at 9:12 pm

The boomers started getting nostalgic for the '70s during their '90s midlife crises, their decade of choice, and so everything became the '70s. Like all the movies and TV ideas, clothing, music...it was an updated version of the '70s, basically.

You are dead on. The problem is us thirtysomething's either have been totally assimilated and conditioned to that style or are not involved with the media to a controlling degree, so we are stuck with the ex-hippies forcing their 70s nostaligic ideaology on us still. :(

Check for new replies or respond here...