inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 1987

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 02/19/06 at 11:40 am

Okay 80's fans I was born in '87 so I was just wondering what were you guys up to that year?

Subject: Re: 1987

Written By: batfan2005 on 02/19/06 at 12:21 pm

I think I was in 2nd grade going into 3rd. I don't really remember a whole lot that happened that year except that Reagan was president and when a baby girl named Jessica fell in the well in Texas. Did the shuttle disaster happen in '87 or was it '86? I also remember songs from Beastie Boys "License to Ill", Run DMC, Michael Jackon's "Bad" album, and that song from "Dirty Dancing" playing on the radio and MTV that year.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 02/19/06 at 12:45 pm

Did the shuttle disaster happen in '87 or was it '86?

The challenger disaster happed in Jan. '86 I think.

Written By: whistledog on 02/19/06 at 12:47 pm

In 1987, I was in Grade 5.  I was listening to Platinum Blonde and Glass Tiger ;D

Written By: Electric Youth on 02/19/06 at 12:59 pm

http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/Park/7255/03.jpg

Deborah Gibson came "Out of the Blue" , though was "Debbie Gibson"

Guns N' Roses debut with "Appetite For Destruction"
REM, The Cure, Motley Crue, INXS, Michael Jackson, Bruce Springsteen, Poison, released albums

Dirty Dancing, Lethal Weapon, The Lost Boys, and La Bamba were released in theaters

Written By: gmann on 02/19/06 at 2:25 pm

Okay 80's fans I was born in '87 so I was just wondering what were you guys up to that year?

In '87 I was in fifth grade and trying to make sense of the new world --it was called middle school.  :) Stupid combination lockers!

Pop culture: Bon Jovi was huge among many of my classmates, though I can't say I was a big fan. Of current stuff, Def Leppard was more my speed, though I discovered R.E.M. shortly thereafter. Mullets for guys and "big" hairstyles for girls (a.k.a. "fluff chicks") weren't uncommon among the more fashion-concious...of which I was not.  :-\\

Written By: Paul on 02/19/06 at 5:05 pm

Mullets for guys and "big" hairstyles for girls (a.k.a. "fluff chicks") weren't uncommon among the more fashion-concious...of which I was not.  :-\\

I may regret admitting this, but...

...I had a mullet back then...

What was I (and my mullet) doing?

Probably being one of 'Thatcher's children'...!

Written By: Gis on 02/20/06 at 6:11 am

I too had a mullet ! I had just finished college and was looking for a job, I was 19 that summer.

Written By: Webstor on 02/20/06 at 6:23 am

I was in 5th grade.....

Building a tree fort in the woods with my friends during my free time while listening to our "Boom Boxes"
Bon Jovi "Slippery when wet".........Beastie Boys "Licensed to Ill"......Van Hagar "OU812"

Written By: robby76 on 02/20/06 at 7:04 am

I was 11 yrs old and loving my first year in high school. I also started going to my first "late night" parties without my folks at friends houses. Listening to Rick Astley, watching Dirty Dancing, Michael Jackson's Bad. Great great times!

Written By: agoraphobicwhacko on 02/20/06 at 8:32 am

I was 12 years old and in the 7th grade. Had alot of great friends. Time seemed to move much slower then. A great time to be alive. It felt like anything was possible. Alot of great music(GNR,VH,Def Leppard,Metallica,etc.) and some great scary movies then(Hellraiser,Friday13th,Freddy,etc). 1987 and 88 were the last years of innocence for me, since I got into drugs really bad when I entered high school. If I could choose one year of my life to relive, it would be 1987.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/20/06 at 8:34 am

I was in grade school, and didn't do awhole lot.

Written By: gmann on 02/20/06 at 12:01 pm

I may regret admitting this, but...

...I had a mullet back then...

What was I (and my mullet) doing?

Probably being one of 'Thatcher's children'...!

*L* As I alluded to in my original post, I was probably the least fashion-oriented kid in my school. My hair was still in the traditional "feathered over and no gel" phase. To be honest, it didn't change much until high school. These days, my hairstyle is something rather like that of the the guy pictured to my left.  8)

I met Lady Thatcher once...

Written By: McDonald on 02/20/06 at 12:38 pm

I was two years old, living briefly in Georgia. I remember going to the beach a lot with my parents.

Written By: Electric Youth on 02/20/06 at 1:36 pm

(I was 3 three years old)

Also Tiffany came onto the scene...though wasn't familiar with her until a few years ago...

Nirvana formed, but wasn't mainstream until 1991

Fox network debut with shows like  "Married...with Children", "21 Jump Street", and "Tracey Ullman Show"

Written By: Miss Nostalgia on 02/20/06 at 2:44 pm

I had just moved to my house in Waterford,Michigan & I was going into 2nd grade & I was 7 years old

Written By: Sister Morphine on 02/20/06 at 2:45 pm

I was 5 and my sister was born that year.

Basically, I was lamenting the loss of my only child status. 

Written By: gmann on 02/20/06 at 2:54 pm

Fox network debut with shows like  "Married...with Children", "21 Jump Street", and "Tracey Ullman Show"

Don't forget "Mr. President".  ;D

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 02/21/06 at 1:18 am

I turned 5 years old and graduated Pre-school. I started an infatuation with Harrison Ford at that tender age.  ;D

Written By: karen on 02/21/06 at 7:37 am

I was at work, having started the previous summer.  Cannot remember any films I went to see or concerts or anything

Written By: TheRemf on 02/21/06 at 10:57 am

First part of the year at Amherst College.  Graduated in May.  Home to Kansas, worked in a men's store in Topeka for the summer.  In the fall to graduate school at the University of Nebraska.

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 02/21/06 at 11:24 am

I was 21 and in college at the time.  I flew to Los Angeles that summer to visit a boyfriend (that is a time that I'd like to forget).

Check for new replies or respond here...