inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Kate Bush

Written By: velvetoneo on 02/19/06 at 12:43 pm

Who here is a fan? I really like her music...I'm listening to the Hounds of Love/The Ninth Wave right now, it's not at all dated even though it's from 1985, really, and it's just very well-constructed music.

Subject: Re: Kate Bush

Written By: whistledog on 02/19/06 at 12:45 pm

I'm not too big of a fan of hers, although I do own most of her albums on cassette.  The best is "Hounds of Love" :)

Written By: nally on 02/19/06 at 2:21 pm

The only song of hers that I know is "Running Up That Hill." Could that have been her only U.S. hit?

Written By: Paul on 02/19/06 at 5:02 pm

The only song of hers that I know is "Running Up That Hill." Could that have been her only U.S. hit?

You're probably correct on that one, Jeff...

She did some fine work before she went totally off-the-wall (circa late-80s)...the aforementioned 'Hounds Of Love' LP (where 'Running Up that Hill' comes from) is IMHO probably her most coherent work...

Written By: agoraphobicwhacko on 02/20/06 at 8:34 am

The only song of hers that I've ever heard is Rubberband Girl. Great song, but I think its from 1993.

Written By: McDonald on 02/20/06 at 12:36 pm

I have Hounds of Love on CD, and I only like the first 3 songs on it. The others just aren't my thing.

My boss loves her. He's been playing her new double album at work quite a bit lately.

Written By: velvetoneo on 02/20/06 at 12:41 pm

Try The Whole Story, it's a pretty good introduction to her work. The Sensual World can be pretty out there, but works on most tracks and is the lushest sounding of any of her albums. She generally uses higher registers on her first albums, like The Kick Inside and Lionheart.

Written By: whistledog on 07/23/07 at 8:51 pm

T'was her only entry into the US Top 40, though she did chart a few smaller ones.  Her discography for North America ...

SINGLES
1978 - Wuthering Heights
1978 - The Man With the Child in His Eyes
1985 - Running Up That Hill
1987 - Don't Give Up <w/ Peter Gabriel>
1989 - The Sensual World
1993 - Rubberband Girl

ALBUMS + EPs
1978 - The Kick Inside
1980 - Never For Ever
1982 - The Dreaming
1983 - On Stage (EP)
1983 - Kate Bush (EP)
1985 - Hounds of Love
1986 - The Whole Story
1989 - The Sensual World
1993 - The Red Shoes
2005 - Aerial

Written By: ladybug316 on 07/23/07 at 10:33 pm

Wuthering Heights - What a tune!  It's my favorite.  Pat Benatar does a good version on her "Crimes of Passion" album.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/24/07 at 4:38 am

I have always been a fan of hers since the release Wuthering Heights in 1978, when London Transport banned a poster from her on the Underground.

Written By: ladybug316 on 07/24/07 at 9:13 am

I have always been a fan of hers since the release Wuthering Heights in 1978, when London Transport banned a poster from her on the Underground.
Why did they do that?

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/24/07 at 9:23 am

Why did they do that?

Why did they do that?
A poster of a young lady dressed provocatively, need I say more.

Written By: ladybug316 on 07/24/07 at 9:29 am

A poster of a young lady dressed provocatively, need I say more.
Nope.  Got it.  Thanks ;)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/26/07 at 2:40 am

My friend Todd was a Kate Bush fanatic; I think he felt her to be maternal and sexual at the same time.  A little creepy. 

She's a wonderfully creative and original artist.  I just never enjoyed her music as much as I wanted to. 

So her biggest hits here in the U.S. are also my favorites:
"Hounds of Love"
"Running Up That Hill"

Written By: 80smuzikhead on 07/26/07 at 8:30 am

I love Kate Bush. She has a unique and hauntingly beautiful voice, is a highly creative songwriter and boy could she move! A true artiste!

Written By: Sean1983 on 07/27/07 at 1:00 pm

I also like Babooshka, This Woman's Work, and Wow in addition to the songs listed above.  Just started to get into her music in the past few months.

Check for new replies or respond here...