inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Isn't Mr. Roboto the worst song ever?

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/21/06 at 1:53 am

At first, it just seems like a really cheesy synth song, but when you get to the part where DeYoung is thanking Mr. Roboto like a sarcastic 11-year-old the song is just truly awful (and hilarious!)  ;D

Subject: Re: Isn't Mr. Roboto the worst song ever?

Written By: ADH13 on 02/21/06 at 1:56 am

It's certainly not in my list of favorites, but I could probably think of tons that are worse..

"Push It" by Salt n Pepa comes to mind...

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/21/06 at 1:58 am

It's certainly not in my list of favorites, but I could probably think of tons that are worse..

"Push It" by Salt n Pepa comes to mind...

Yeah, there's probably worse songs, but there isn't really any more cheesy, overdone song than Mr. Roboto.  The only candidate really is The Final Countdown by Europe.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/21/06 at 1:59 am

Released in 1989 I have always considered Sonia's You'll Never Stop Me From Loving You to have been pretty bad.

Written By: ADH13 on 02/21/06 at 2:01 am

Yeah, there's probably worse songs, but there isn't really any more cheesy, overdone song than Mr. Roboto.  The only candidate really is The Final Countdown by Europe.

I like The Final Countdown... not enough to listen to it all the time, but when I happen to hear it, I like it.  But then again, cheesy is fine with me.. :D

Written By: livinonthe80s on 02/21/06 at 2:03 am

The Final Countdown???  The song was cool and I think it's a good song!!!  What was wrong with it??? ???

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/21/06 at 2:04 am

The only candidate really is The Final Countdown by Europe.
The Final Countdown is an internationally renowned rock anthem!

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/21/06 at 2:05 am

I like The Final Countdown... not enough to listen to it all the time, but when I happen to hear it, I like it.  But then again, cheesy is fine with me.. :D

I kind of like it too.  But I still think it's awful  ;D  :D

Cheese tastes pretty good.

Written By: whistledog on 02/21/06 at 2:23 am

The whole "Kilroy Was Here" album by Styx was an album I didn't like at all.  Both songs "Mr. Roboto" and "Don't Let it End" are songs I never could stand.  I still can't stand them, but I honestly listen to them often just to give them a fair chance. 

The worst song in the 80's was "Be Good Johnny" by Men at Work.  I hate that song just so much

Written By: Sister Morphine on 02/21/06 at 2:28 am

Styx are just so god awful..............every time Come Sail Away comes on the radio, I want to dropkick it out a window.

When I saw their Behind the Music, and I saw how utterly conceited and full of himself Dennis DeYoung is........it made me hate them even more.

Written By: ADH13 on 02/21/06 at 2:29 am

Styx are just so god awful..............every time Come Sail Away comes on the radio, I want to dropkick it out a window.

When I saw their Behind the Music, and I saw how utterly conceited and full of himself Dennis DeYoung is........it made me hate them even more.

The only song I ever go out of my way to listen to by Styx is "Babe".  The rest of their stuff, I could take it or leave it.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 02/21/06 at 2:30 am

The only song I ever go out of my way to listen to by Styx is "Babe".  The rest of their stuff, I could take it or leave it.

You must have a stronger constitution than me, because Babe is the one song that makes my ears bleed if it comes on the radio.

Written By: whistledog on 02/21/06 at 2:31 am

The only Styx song I really care for is "Too Much Time on My Hands".  I liked Dennis DeYoung better as a solo artist.  He had a top 40 hit in 1984 caled "Desert Moon" which was a great song :)

Tommy Shaw also had a few good solo hits, the best of which I thought was "Remo's Theme (What If)" which was featured in the classic 80's adventure movie "Remo Williams: The Adventure Begins"

Written By: ADH13 on 02/21/06 at 2:38 am

You must have a stronger constitution than me, because Babe is the one song that makes my ears bleed if it comes on the radio.

LOL I'm pretty tolerant when it comes to music... there are lots of songs I don't really care for, but I don't mind hearing them once in awhile.. for me to really despise a song, it usually has to have a hip-hop or rap element to it.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 02/21/06 at 2:43 am

LOL I'm pretty tolerant when it comes to music... there are lots of songs I don't really care for, but I don't mind hearing them once in awhile.. for me to really despise a song, it usually has to have a hip-hop or rap element to it.

I feel that.  I hate rap music.  HATE it.  I don't even know why they call it music, because it's basically 4 minutes of someone grunting and groaning and occasionally saying "bling", "bitch", "ho" and "word" over some recycled music or some beat that sounds recycled.  My sister listens to 95.5FM here in Atlanta, which is basically your urban station.....they play some pop/r&b, but not a lot and it seems like that crap is on all the time.

I mean that new song by Nelly is actually about teeth.  TEETH. 

Written By: whistledog on 02/21/06 at 2:47 am

Rap Music does suck.  The only time it ever sounds good is when it is used with a dance or techno song.  Other than that, rap and hip-hop is all crap.  It's all about drugs, bitches, violence, guns...  Did you know if you play a rap song backwards, the guy gets out of jail? ;D

Written By: FaultyDog on 02/21/06 at 3:00 am

[quote author=whis

Written By: whistledog on 02/21/06 at 3:02 am

Two words: Tim Dog.

Must've been deaf when I bought his album.... :P

OMG I remember him.  That song he did "F*ck Compton" was horrible, yet very popular  :-\\ 

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 02/21/06 at 9:31 am

No. The worst song ever is "A Man Without Love" by Engelbert Humperdinck (1968).

I dare you to download it. As a matter-of-fact, I double-dog dare you.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/21/06 at 9:42 am

No........

But some songs by Yoko Ono come awefully close!  ;D

Written By: FaultyDog on 02/21/06 at 10:14 am

[quote author=whis

Written By: Tia on 02/21/06 at 10:16 am

the worst song of all time is, in fact, "we built this city on rock and roll." i think they did a study once that established this scientifically.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/21/06 at 11:33 am

the worst song of all time is, in fact, "we built this city on rock and roll." i think they did a study once that established this scientifically.

Ummmmmmm..... I like that song.  :-[  ::)  ;D

Written By: BCRichrocker on 02/21/06 at 11:42 am

I never liked Styx. Too sugary for me. But thier sound always reminds me of the 70s.

And Starship was a band of talented musicians. Just go back to the Jefferson Starship (Airplane) days. They just nixed the "Jefferson" part (and lost a band member or two, I think) and then tried to go full on bubble gum pop in order to make some $$. It worked for a short time and then they faded away. Last I knew Mickey Thomas (and what is called "Starship" now) was touring small coffee shops, etc. but that was mid 90s.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 02/21/06 at 11:47 am

The worst song of all time is either "Achy Brecky Heart" by Billy Ray Cyrus or the titanic theme song by Celine Dion(cant remember the name right now but it sucked).

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/21/06 at 11:48 am

The worst song of all time is either "Achy Brecky Heart" by Billy Ray Cyrus or the titanic theme song by Celine Dion(cant remember the name right now but it sucked).
I do not wish to repeat the title of the Celine Dion hit for it is so bad!

Written By: FaultyDog on 02/21/06 at 12:03 pm

I do not wish to repeat the title of the Celine Dion hit for it is so bad!

That's the price you gotta pay for marriage, Philip. ;)

Written By: gmann on 02/21/06 at 12:07 pm

[quote author=whis

Written By: gmann on 02/21/06 at 12:18 pm

And Starship was a band of talented musicians. Just go back to the Jefferson Starship (Airplane) days. They just nixed the "Jefferson" part (and lost a band member or two, I think) and then tried to go full on bubble gum pop in order to make some $$. It worked for a short time and then they faded away. Last I knew Mickey Thomas (and what is called "Starship" now) was touring small coffee shops, etc. but that was mid 90s.

JA/Jefferson Starship is alright by me, but they seems to have lost something vital when Marty Balin went solo. I'm indifferent to most of Starship's 80s output. 

Written By: Tia on 02/21/06 at 12:21 pm

No........

But some songs by Yoko Ono come awefully close!  ;D
omg! i forgot about yoko!

yoko's songs are the musical equivalent of that monty python episode about the joke that makes you laugh until you die. if you listen to a yoko song and survive, you lucked out.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/21/06 at 12:50 pm

I cannot really describe the vocal output of Yoko Ono as songs.

Written By: Tia on 02/21/06 at 12:54 pm

i almost have to appreciate someone so boldly willing to be bad as yoko.

not really, though. i heard she threw a concert and then had to cancel it because NOT A SINGLE PERSON BOUGHT A TICKET. might be an urban myth, but just that such a thing is even at all plausible should illustrate how unspeakably bad yoko songs are.

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 02/21/06 at 2:32 pm

It definitely makes my list of one of the worst songs ever...  :o

Written By: woops on 02/21/06 at 6:24 pm

"Oh Sherrie" from Steve Perry, actually anything from Journey would top my list of "worst songs"...  :P

Written By: Sister Morphine on 02/21/06 at 6:28 pm

"Oh Sherrie" from Steve Perry, actually anything from Journey would top my list of "worst songs"...  :P

Hey now, I like Journey.

Written By: Tia on 02/21/06 at 6:30 pm

Hey now, I like Journey.
i actually also like journey. "open arms" is a tune that hasn't dated particularly well, though, i tell ya.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 02/21/06 at 6:34 pm

i actually also like journey. "open arms" is a tune that hasn't dated particularly well, though, i tell ya.

This may sound blasphemous, but I like Mariah Carey's version better.

Written By: whistledog on 02/21/06 at 7:47 pm

Shame on you  ;)

Steve Perry and Journey are great :)

Written By: DaChazman on 02/21/06 at 8:05 pm

[quote author=whis

Written By: Sister Morphine on 02/21/06 at 8:07 pm

YO WUT CHU TALKIN BOUT RAP IS DA SHIZNIT

Fo shizzle ma nizzle, yo.  Werd.  Peace out, homie. 

Written By: TheRemf on 02/22/06 at 11:51 am

Styx had a good concept album with "Grand Illusion," but went to the well once too often and "Kilroy" was the result.  While "Mr. Roboto" wasn't my favorite Styx song, it seems a far cry from the worst ever.  "Teen Angel," "Leader of the Pack," "Last Kiss," "Honey" and a host of tear-jerkers come to mind.  The ridiculous "Teddy Bear" simply heads up a list of "bad" country songs that could include anything by "Whisperin' Bill" Anderson or Conway Twitty. 

Just personal opinions, of course.  But Styx and Nelly don't seem to deserve company such as this.

Written By: gmann on 02/22/06 at 1:35 pm

Styx had a good concept album with "Grand Illusion," but went to the well once too often and "Kilroy" was the result.  While "Mr. Roboto" wasn't my favorite Styx song, it seems a far cry from the worst ever.  "Teen Angel," "Leader of the Pack," "Last Kiss," "Honey" and a host of tear-jerkers come to mind.  The ridiculous "Teddy Bear" simply heads up a list of "bad" country songs that could include anything by "Whisperin' Bill" Anderson or Conway Twitty. 

Just personal opinions, of course.  But Styx and Nelly don't seem to deserve company such as this.

It's all subjective. I think we can all agree on that. However, I'm curious why you singled out those (mostly) teen tragedy tracks from the 60s. I don't think anybody has ever considered them as anything more than what they are...pop, pure and simple. I'm certain the same could be said for a handful of sad sack power ballads from the 80s. Need I mention Air Supply?

BTW, I've got a soft spot in my heart for Bobby Goldsboro, so watch it.  ;) "Watchin' Scotty grow..."

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/22/06 at 6:27 pm

Released in 1989 I have always considered Sonia's You'll Never Stop Me From Loving You to have been pretty bad.

Charlene: "I've Never Been to Me" (1982) is my perennial candidate for the worst song EVER!  Styx did some real stinkeroos, but "Mr. Roboto" was cool.  It sounds cheesy, it  always did, but it was cheesy in a good way!

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/22/06 at 8:22 pm

Charlene: "I've Never Been to Me" (1982) is my perennial candidate for the worst song EVER!  Styx did some real stinkeroos, but "Mr. Roboto" was cool.  It sounds cheesy, it  always did, but it was cheesy in a good way!

I agree..... I've Never Been to Me  is pretty bad.....  ;D

You Light Up My Life (from the mid seventies) and Endless Love, are also bad too.  ::)

Written By: lleelee on 02/22/06 at 11:22 pm

At first, it just seems like a really cheesy synth song, but when you get to the part where DeYoung is thanking Mr. Roboto like a sarcastic 11-year-old the song is just truly awful (and hilarious!)  ;D

You know I can tolerate the 'Mr.Roboto' song by Styx because I was 12 years the time it came out so I did enjoyed it. It is kind of cheesy now. One group I just didnt like during their popularity was Huey Lewis and the News.  The silly videos Huey Lewis voice made me put my hands over my ears.  Im sorry I never was a fan.

Written By: Tia on 02/22/06 at 11:27 pm

You know I can tolerate the 'Mr.Roboto' song by Styx because I was 12 years the time it came out so I did enjoyed it. It is kind of cheesy now. One group I just didnt like during their popularity was Huey Lewis and the News.  The silly videos Huey Lewis voice made me put my hands over my ears.  Im sorry I never was a fan.
i always hated huey lewis and the news and there was this 80s band i was in, we did a huey lewis song -- i wanna think of which one but i've got hanzel and gretyl blasting into my skull loud enough to give me an aneurysm right now, so it'll have to wait -- and i really loved it! crappy to listen to, fun as hell to play, with a great solo in it.

i'm having the same experience with my current band doing a U2 song and a pearl jam song -- both bands i thought i hated but i LOVE doing these songs!  ??? i dunno what it means.

hanzel und gretyl, on the other hand, i love love love to listen to, and hate to play. friggin' dumb-A stock guitar riffs.

Written By: FaultyDog on 02/23/06 at 4:18 am

Charlene: "I've Never Been to Me" (1982) is my perennial candidate for the worst song EVER! 

It may be cheesy, but it's not as bad as "O Superman" by Laurie Anderson (which isn't even a song, when you think about it) or "Save Your Love" by Renee & Renato (which surprisingly made it to #1). :P :P

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/23/06 at 9:15 am

Shaddap You Face by Joe Dolce is also pretty bad.  ;D

Written By: whistledog on 02/23/06 at 10:08 am

It may be cheesy, but it's not as bad as "O Superman" by Laurie Anderson (which isn't even a song, when you think about it) or "Save Your Love" by Renee & Renato (which surprisingly made it to #1). :P :P

O Superman is indeed a really bad song

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/23/06 at 11:54 am

...or "Save Your Love" by Renee & Renato (which surprisingly made it to #1). :P :P
Making it a Christmas NUmber One!

Written By: Electric Youth on 02/23/06 at 1:16 pm

[quote author=whis

Written By: pell on 02/23/06 at 11:44 pm

Wow. Styx and Journey bashed in the same thread on an 80s board. Can Queen and Rush be far off? (I love them all by the way.)

I remember a period when I was little where my Mom used to listen to this song over and over. I can't help but cherish the tune, because it's one of the songs that reminds me of a time when I had absolutely no cares.

Written By: Schillingfan on 02/24/06 at 1:18 pm

Styx's "Babe" is pretty bad!

I always have to hit the mute button on the remote just so I don't have to hear it!

Second worst song right now is the 1980-1986 version of the Doctor Who theme song! Why couldn't the conductor of that version leave the 74-80 version alone! The 70's version from 1974-1980 was much more better!

Written By: TheRemf on 02/24/06 at 3:15 pm

It's all subjective. I think we can all agree on that. However, I'm curious why you singled out those (mostly) teen tragedy tracks from the 60s. I don't think anybody has ever considered them as anything more than what they are...pop, pure and simple. I'm certain the same could be said for a handful of sad sack power ballads from the 80s. Need I mention Air Supply?

BTW, I've got a soft spot in my heart for Bobby Goldsboro, so watch it.  ;) "Watchin' Scotty grow..."

GMann, my point was that it is subjective.  Oh, you're right, the tear-jerkers are not exactly my favorite genre and I actually hesitated to put "Honey" into that mix.  Musically, it's far better than those others.  And funny you should mention that about "Scotty."  I just bought a Bobby Goldsboro greatest hits CD on eBay from parrothead88.  "Scotty" and "Muddy Mississippi Line" made it onto my hard drive when it arrived.

Still, though, everyone ultimately has to make the call for themselves.  I don't totally ding songs with shallow thoughts or ideas I disagree with.  Were that the case "Hot Child In The City"  or "Ohio" would be strong candidates for "worst ever."  What saves them is their worth as music.  Ditto with the (albeit pompous) "Mr. Roboto."

Written By: Dagwood on 02/24/06 at 11:42 pm

I like Styx.  Mr. Roboto isn't a fave of mine, but it doesn't make my ears bleed, either. 

I would like to add my name to the list of Yoko haters, though.  That woman makes me want to gauge my eyes out when I see her.

Written By: Tia on 02/25/06 at 3:20 am

http://www.amazon.com/gp/music/wma-pop-up/B0000009RH001005/ref=mu_sam_wma_001_005/102-7922238-2852933

i dunno if it'll work just to link straight to the music clip like this. but man, that's some funny stuff.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/25/06 at 8:32 am

I like Styx.  Mr. Roboto isn't a fave of mine, but it doesn't make my ears bleed, either. 

I would like to add my name to the list of Yoko haters, though.  That woman makes me want to gauge my eyes out when I see her.

Me too!

Check for new replies or respond here...