inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Thoughts on Tiffany...

Written By: Electric Youth on 02/21/06 at 1:58 am

Anything?

I'd like to comment, but don't like to start a flame only because of my screen name...

Though atleast she's a better singer compared to talented actress Ashley Tisdale  :)

Subject: Re: Thoughts on Tiffany...

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/21/06 at 1:59 am

Tiffany is pure cheese.

Written By: ADH13 on 02/21/06 at 2:02 am

I couldn't stand Tiffany when she was popular.. although now I like "Could've Been".  I might not have minded so much at the time if it wasn't so overplayed...

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/21/06 at 2:04 am

Forgotten all about her.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/21/06 at 2:06 am

I couldn't stand Tiffany when she was popular.. although now I like "Could've Been".  I might not have minded so much at the time if it wasn't so overplayed...

I sort of feel the same way about Britney Spears' "Sometimes".  It's not my type of music, but it's actually a decent song. "Lucky" is okay too.

Written By: bbigd04 on 02/21/06 at 2:16 am

I sort of feel the same way about Britney Spears' "Sometimes".  It's not my type of music, but it's actually a decent song. "Lucky" is okay too.

Back in 1999/2000 I actually kind of liked Britney Spears, though I didn't admit it, lol. I didn't buy her CDs or anything. But when I heard her songs I didn't really mind them.

Written By: whistledog on 02/21/06 at 2:21 am

Her's all the hits Tiffany had ...

1987 - I Think We're Alone Now (US #1 / UK #1)
1987 - Could've Been (US #1 / UK #4)
1988 - I Saw Him Standing There (US #7 / UK #8)
1988 - Feelings of Forever (US #50 / UK #52)
1988 - All This Time (US #6)
1989 - Radio Romance (US #35 / UK #13)

I actually like all of those songs.  If Tiffany is cheese, then give me lots of it ;D

Written By: bbigd04 on 02/21/06 at 2:24 am

She's alright. "Could've Been" is an ok song.

Written By: whistledog on 02/21/06 at 2:29 am

I remember watching the Tonight Show with Johnny Carson many years ago when I was a kid.  Tiffany was performing "Could've Been" and mid-way through the song, she raised her hand, and her band thought it was a signal to stop playing, so she had to continue on with the song acapella ;D

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/21/06 at 9:45 am

She's ok, I guess.  I liked Debbie Gibson alot more, even though the video for Electric Youth is really cheesy.  ::)

Written By: BCRichrocker on 02/21/06 at 11:37 am

I like Tiffany. While I liked both her and Debbie Gibson both, I always preferred Tiffany out of the two.

Written By: whistledog on 02/21/06 at 2:58 pm

She's ok, I guess.  I liked Debbie Gibson alot more, even though the video for Electric Youth is really cheesy.  ::)

Did you see "Back in 1989" on Muh More Music?  They voted it the #1 worst video of 1989

Written By: Electric Youth on 02/21/06 at 3:37 pm

I had no idea who Tiffany was until a few years ago and found her voice too thin/annoying...though now sound OK.

I like Deborah Gibson more since she had a pleasant voice as a teen singer (still sounds great) and actually wrote/produce her own songs and played a piano.  :)

http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/Park/7255/ey02.jpg

The "Electric Youth" video was also voted as the 10th worst video on "MTV 25 Lame" in 1999  >:(

It maybe cheesy, but better than the garbage out today from Lindsay Lohan and Britney Spears...

Written By: BCRichrocker on 02/21/06 at 3:46 pm

I had no idea who Tiffany was until a few years ago and found her voice too thin/annoying...though now sound OK.

I like Deborah Gibson more since she had a pleasant voice as a teen singer (still sounds great) and actually wrote/produce her own songs and played a piano.  :)

The "Electric Youth" video was also voted as the 10th worst video on "MTV 25 Lame" in 1999  >:(

It maybe cheesy, but better than the garbage out today from Lindsay Lohan and Britney Spears...

I don't know your age or anything, but back in the day Debbie Gibson (which was how she was known back then, she decided later on that her full name of "Deborah" sounded more grown up and trying to distance herself from the "bubble gum" image she was placed under) and Tiffany had a rivalry similiar to Spears and Lohan that you mentioned. Everyone who knew of one knew of the other. For a time, they were the two top bubble gum singers for the mainly 10-15 year old or so girl crowds. But since I was close to the same age as both (a teen also at the time) and thought Tiffany was "hotter", I chose to like her better. But they are both a toss up to me as to who has the better voice, etc. even to this day.

Written By: Electric Youth on 02/21/06 at 3:57 pm

I also like Deborah Gibson's later stuff more  it's more deeper and she tops other singers like Celine Dion when it comes to ballads since I find her voice very soothing , though her '80's hits and songs from "Memory Lane" vol 1 & 2 are fun to listen to. Though unfortunately many people only look at her as the '80's teen queen.

Funny how somebody who's talented like Deborah Gibson doesn't get recogition, while some artists (No names mentioned) are still popular...but hadn't released anything good for a while.

Her name was always "Deborah", Atlanitc Records wanted her to use "Debbie", which got stuck. Check her liner notes (ie "Written/Produced by Deborah Gibson)

Written By: BCRichrocker on 02/21/06 at 4:22 pm

Yep. Debbie is short for "Deborah" in most circumstances. So that goes without saying that that was "always" her name.

But as far as "Deborah" going by the name of "Deborah" instead of "Debbie", I didn't just pull that out of my hat as I saw a documentary or interview at one time on her and that was made mention and the fact that she was trying to leave the bubble gum tennie bopper image behind in search of a more lasting "adult" type music career than what she started with.

Written By: 80smuzikhead on 02/21/06 at 6:08 pm

I liked Tiffany, I'll admit it, but I was only 13, that is my excuse and I am sticking to it! :D She was huge one year, had a rather public fight with her old man and was forgotten the next, touche!

The flowers you gave me
Are just about to wilt
I put them in the champaign bottle
Just before it spilt

Written By: Electric Youth on 02/21/06 at 7:24 pm

I know, though many former teen idols/child stars tend to distant themselves from the past since they want to be taken seriously and focus on whatever they're doing now like Mark Walhburg being an actor.

Though I doubt anybody would take Gibson seriously, unfortunately, because of being on Playboy last year and that "Skating with Celebrities" reality show. Though I still respect her as an artist.

Ironically, I had a bit of a crush on her during the same time B.S.  came onto the music scene  a few years ago... 

Check for new replies or respond here...