inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Movies: "9 1/2 Weeks" Exactly 20 Years On

Written By: Alice on 02/22/06 at 3:57 am

On February 21st 1986 one of the most revered cult movies of the '80s saw its release date. Its name was "9 1/2 Weeks" and is one of my favourite movies of the decade in general.
It was directed by Adrian Lyne who was previously best known for directing another top grossing movie of the decade, "Flashdance", and was based on the sametitled novel by Elizabeth McNeill. It was also Kim Basinger's (Elizabeth in the movie) first major role. Alongside her Mickey Rourke (John in the movie) was there as well.
The whole movie is covered in a mystery, symbolism and minimalism but is best known for its erotic content. It shows an erotic story about a divorced woman, the assistant of an art gallery, who gets into an impersonal affaire with a man. She barely knows about his life, only about the sex games they play, so the relationship begins to complicate.
The movie is full of the rather good accompanying music as well; Duran Duran's John Taylor with the movie theme "I Do What I Do" (1986), Bryan Ferry with "Slave To Love" (1986), Joe Cocker with "You Can Leave Your Hat On" (1986), Eurythmics with "This City Never Sleeps" (1983), ex-The Police's Stewart Copeland with "Cannes" (1986) and Jean-Michel Jarre with IMO his best stuff in his entire career, "Arpegiator" (1981), amongst others.
What's your verdict on it now exactly 20 years later?

http://us.movies1.yimg.com/movies.yahoo.com/images/hv/photo/movie_pix/mgm/9_1_2_weeks/_group_photos/kim_basinger1.jpg
"9 1/2 WEEKS" PROMO PICTURE

Check for new replies or respond here...