inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Hidden Gems of 80's teen drama/romance

Written By: Morbid on 02/22/06 at 5:37 pm

Despite famous "Pretty In Pink" or "The Breakfast Club" there were a lot of little-known (or underrated) but great flicks like "That Was Then... This Is Now", "Tuff Turf" or "Vision Quest".

Let's make small "total recall" on that stuff :)

Subject: Re: Hidden Gems of 80's teen drama/romance

Written By: agoraphobicwhacko on 02/23/06 at 3:50 am

Although not a teen "romance", a teen drama that is an absolute masterpiece is 'Stand By Me'. I know it wasn't set in the 80's, but its just about the only movie I have ever seen that captures the innocence of young teen life. Several scenes have just about brought me to tears.
Another great teen drama/romance is 'River's Edge'. I will never understand why the film didn't win or get nominated for any Academy awards. Does a spectacular job of capturing the vibe of teen drug culture, and what would happen if handed that unfortunate set of circumstances. I think just about any stoner, reject,etc, could relate to that film.

Subject: Re: Hidden Gems of 80's teen drama/romance

Written By: Morbid on 02/23/06 at 9:48 am

Another great teen drama/romance is 'River's Edge'. I will never understand why the film didn't win or get nominated for any Academy awards.

Maybe it was too shocking, too frightening in it's realism, and there's no "it's all gonna be fine" thoughts in the end. It leaves you with a feeling of spiritual bankruptcy.
Very good movie.
Thanks.

Check for new replies or respond here...