inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What Year Should Donnie Darko have been set in?

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/24/06 at 7:23 pm

It is set in the fall of 1988, but I think it could have been 1989 or 1990 also, discounting the New Wave soundtrack.  Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Subject: Re: What Year Should Donnie Darko have been set in?

Written By: gmann on 02/24/06 at 7:35 pm

It is set in the fall of 1988, but I think it could have been 1989 or 1990 also, discounting the New Wave soundtrack.  Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Oh, I get it now. I thought the question concerned what year *you* should have been set in.  ::)

I voted for 1989, though the setting could have easily been somewhere between 1986-88.

Written By: velvetoneo on 02/24/06 at 7:37 pm

Yeah, it seemed sort of '89ish or maybe '90ish even for the clothing and general atmosphere. I voted for 1989.

Written By: robby76 on 02/24/06 at 10:56 pm

Oh, I get it now. I thought the question concerned what year *you* should have been set in.  ::)

I think HE should've been set in the 80's  ;D

Maybe born in 1978.

1990 just seems too late in the day for his knowledge.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/24/06 at 10:57 pm

I think HE should've been set in the 80's  ;D

Maybe born in 1978.

1990 just seems too late in the day for his knowledge.

Written By: velvetoneo on 02/25/06 at 12:18 am

I personally think we should've been born in 1970, I would've really liked being born right about then. Old enough to get the '70s, '80s, and early '90s in, and be a teen during the '80s and student in the '90s...perfect.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/25/06 at 12:32 am

I personally think we should've been born in 1970, I would've really liked being born right about then. Old enough to get the '70s, '80s, and early '90s in, and be a teen during the '80s and student in the '90s...perfect.

Yeah ... me too.  Or at least 1989  ;D

Written By: bbigd04 on 02/25/06 at 12:34 am

Yea that would be cool, well at least I remember the '90s anyway.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/25/06 at 12:36 am

Yea that would be cool, well at least I remember the '90s anyway.

Although, you know what?  I kind of want to see the 21st Century.  But yeah, at "heart" I'm a 1970er.  Those '80s seemed awesome, but I guess the '00s are great in their own way too.  Plus, at least I was around for some of the '90s.

Written By: bbigd04 on 02/25/06 at 12:40 am

Although, you know what?  I kind of want to see the 21st Century.  But yeah, at "heart" I'm a 1970er.  Those '80s seemed awesome, but I guess the '00s are great in their own way too.  Plus, at least I was around for some of the '90s.

The '00s aren't a bad decade, though I do prefer the '90s in a lot of ways. I actually think in the '10s I'll probably miss the '00s.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/25/06 at 12:42 am

The '00s aren't a bad decade, though I do prefer the '90s in a lot of ways. I actually think in the '10s I'll probably miss the '00s.

Yeah, you know, they're alright.  They'll probably seem magical to people in the 2020s. 
And one also has to remember it's very possible, if not probable that the 2010s will be worse than the 2000s.  I mean, really, I almost guarantee there will be "I Hate the Tens" threads here in five years  ;D

Written By: velvetoneo on 02/25/06 at 12:43 am

Yeah, you know, they're alright.  They'll probably seem magical to people in the 2020s. 
And one also has to remember it's very possible, if not probable that the 2010s will be worse than the 2000s.  I mean, really, I almost guarantee there will be "I Hate the Tens" threads here in five years  ;D

I doubt it...oy. Usually, when culture gets this bad, how can it get worse?

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/25/06 at 12:44 am

I doubt it...oy. Usually, when culture gets this bad, how can it get worse?

That's true, LOL  ;D

Written By: bbigd04 on 02/25/06 at 12:45 am

Oh I'm sure, lol.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/25/06 at 12:51 am

Oh I'm sure, lol.

;D

And then by 2016, people will be saying, "You know what?  The '00s aren't that bad.  Even in the '10s are the New Zeroes"  ;D

Written By: velvetoneo on 02/25/06 at 1:17 am

Or maybe they'll be the "New Nineties", and by extension the "New Seventies."

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/25/06 at 1:18 am

Or maybe they'll be the "New Nineties", and by extension the "New Seventies."

Let's hope not  ;D

Written By: velvetoneo on 02/25/06 at 1:22 am

Let's hope not  ;D

Yeah, I'm hoping they'll be the first new decade since the '80s-we've just had the "New '70s" and the "New '80s with Bling."

Written By: Bury_Manilow on 02/25/06 at 4:33 am

Hey DD, maybe you can answer this question for me?  I just watched Donnie Darko for the first time a few months ago.  As noted in the movie, it takes place in October of 1988.  I happened to catch something in the movie that seemed out of place (time).  Near the end when Donnie grabs a set of car keys from a candy dish, there was a product called Breath-Asure in that dish.  The label was not showing, but it was easily identifiable by it's distinctive white plastic container with the flip top.  I could be wrong, but I don't recall seeing that product in drug stores until about 1990, maybe 1989 at the earliest.  This may seem like a very minor point, which I have to agree with, but I'm just one of those anal-retentive types that is always looking for minor goofs in movies.  I even emailed the company to inquire about when that product first hit the store shelves, but received no reply at all.  Seeing as you are the resident expert in this forum, do you have any answer or solution to this possible chronological goof?

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/25/06 at 4:56 am

Hey DD, maybe you can answer this question for me?  I just watched Donnie Darko for the first time a few months ago.  As noted in the movie, it takes place in October of 1988.  I happened to catch something in the movie that seemed out of place (time).  Near the end when Donnie grabs a set of car keys from a candy dish, there was a product called Breath-Asure in that dish.  The label was not showing, but it was easily identifiable by it's distinctive white plastic container with the flip top.  I could be wrong, but I don't recall seeing that product in drug stores until about 1990, maybe 1989 at the earliest.  This may seem like a very minor point, which I have to agree with, but I'm just one of those anal-retentive types that is always looking for minor goofs in movies.  I even emailed the company to inquire about when that product first hit the store shelves, but received no reply at all.  Seeing as you are the resident expert in this forum, do you have any answer or solution to this possible chronological goof?

Well, considering 1990 is when I was born I don't know brands.  ;D

BUT, remember that scene where Donnie said he'd throw his little sisters' Ariel in the garbage?  Well, The Little Mermaid didn't come out until 1989.

It definitely seems like more of a 1990ish-type setting.

Written By: Criz on 02/25/06 at 10:09 am

Ditto...that would have been fabulous!

Written By: Watcher29 on 02/27/06 at 9:06 am

What do you mean "we"? I was.

Check for new replies or respond here...