inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Best '80s Girl Ballad

Written By: velvetoneo on 02/24/06 at 10:23 pm

Of these, which is your favorite? I'm going to go for Eternal Flame, a narrow victory over Time After Time.

Subject: Re: Best '80s Girl Ballad

Written By: Sister Morphine on 02/24/06 at 10:24 pm

Wow, tough choices all around, since the answer will change depending on the day.  But, I'll go with Live To Tell, by Madonna.

Written By: whistledog on 02/24/06 at 10:31 pm

Hazy Shade of Winter wasn't a ballad

I went with "Eternal Flame" :)

Written By: Electric Youth on 02/24/06 at 10:34 pm

"Time After Time" Cyndi Lauper
"Crazy For You" Madonna

...several omissions though

Written By: Dagwood on 02/24/06 at 11:45 pm

Out of that group, Crazy For You.  I also love Time After Time by Cyndi Lauper.

Written By: velvetoneo on 02/25/06 at 12:14 am

I've sort of been trying to get into Cyndi Lauper lately. She's like the Madonna that never could. Both have similar backgrounds (working-class white half-Italian), and Lauper is the more talented vocalist, but she's not as sexy and magnetic a personality as Madonna, not as dynamic, and not as able to manipulate the public, which Madonna was a genius in. I know in 1983, between the two, people picked Cyndi Lauper as the long-term success based on talent, but by 1984, Madonna was about 1000x the size of Lauper in fame. Some of Lauper's songs are really good, though...there needs to be room for somebody like that. From what I hear, she basically makes a living off of being a professional gay icon these days.

Written By: ADH13 on 02/25/06 at 1:38 am

That was an easy choice for me...

Eternal Flame by The Bangles.

Written By: Criz on 02/25/06 at 10:14 am

I made a big mistake...I chose 'Eternal Flame' but then as I went to submit, the mouse slipped and clicked 'Papa Don't Preach' ( which isn't even a ballad!) and consequently pressed enter after!! My choice is therefore decalred invalid!!! :P

Written By: robby76 on 02/25/06 at 10:30 am

I made a big mistake...I chose 'Eternal Flame' but then as I went to submit, the mouse slipped and clicked 'Papa Don't Preach' ( which isn't even a ballad!) and consequently pressed enter after!! My choice is therefore decalred invalid!!! :P

Ha ha, that's HILARIOUS!!!

Anyway I voted for "Crazy For You". It's more of a ballad than "Time After Time".

Written By: AnnieBanannie on 02/25/06 at 11:27 am

I wouldn't classify Bonita, Papa, or Hazy as ballads, myself.  Eternal Flame is a big fave of mine, but I have to go with Crazy For You because it has all the right ingredients mixed in just the right way.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 02/25/06 at 11:45 am

I wouldn't classify Bonita, Papa, or Hazy as ballads, myself.  Eternal Flame is a big fave of mine, but I have to go with Crazy For You because it has all the right ingredients mixed in just the right way.

Exactly! Only four of these are ballads. Crazy for you, Eternal Flame (which I voted for), Time after Time, and Live to Tell.

Written By: velvetoneo on 02/25/06 at 2:15 pm

I just saw the "Eternal Flame" and "Time After Time" videos...the quality on "Eternal Flame" was pretty bad, but it looked pretty well-done, from what I could gather. So was "Time After Time." "Eternal Flame" is actually about a Ner Tamid, the "eternal light" in synagogues.

Written By: Criz on 02/25/06 at 4:46 pm

Ha ha, that's HILARIOUS!!!

But yet, SO TRUE!!! hehe ;) Feel very stupid, but hey!

Check for new replies or respond here...