inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: A Decade of Great Great Music

Written By: robby76 on 02/24/06 at 11:18 pm

Okay this site goes through the numbers ones of each year and even have either the 7" picture sleeve or the LP cover, which is kinda cool.

Just click through each year and you'll see what great number 1's the 80's had. Almost each one an absolute classic. I'm sure when we look back at the 90s and 00s with Crazy Frog and Akon's Lonely we won't be saying the same thing.

http://www.rockonthenet.com/archive/index.htm

Subject: Re: A Decade of Great Great Music

Written By: whistledog on 02/24/06 at 11:24 pm

Okay this site goes through the numbers ones of each year and even have either the 7" picture sleeve or the LP cover, which is kinda cool.

Just click through each year and you'll see what great number 1's the 80's had. Almost each one an absolute classic. I'm sure when we look back at the 90s and 00s with Crazy Frog and Akon's Lonely we won't be saying the same thing.

http://www.rockonthenet.com/archive/index.htm

That's a good list

I notice in the Top 100 of the 1980's, they have included a few 70's hits that peaked in late '79 but were still in the charts by 1980

Written By: robby76 on 02/24/06 at 11:29 pm

1984 seemed like a crackin' year, each one an absolute gem!

http://www.rockonthenet.com/archive/1984/main.htm

APOLOGIES.... Crazy Frog and Akon didn't get to no1 in the US. In the UK however it's probably a different story.

Written By: velvetoneo on 02/25/06 at 12:17 am

The '80s actually probably were a better decade for music than the '70s overall, and maybe even equaling the '60s in some ways. Both mainstream and alternative music were varied and complex then, with many facets. Most of my favorite musicians were at their peak in the '80s: The Bangles, Madonna, The Pixies, Sonic Youth, R.E.M, The Talking Heads, The Smiths, Michael Jackson (pre-'90s weirdo stuff), Cyndi Lauper, Soft Cell, The Eurythmics, Kate Bush. Of course there's some stuff I never liked, like the hair metal, but in terms of being a decade with lots of pop-rock gems perfect for constant airplay and vital experimentation, it rivals the '60s.

Written By: robby76 on 02/25/06 at 12:59 am

But some hair metal was very mainstream and likeable... Sheriff "When I'm With You", Def Leppard "Photograph". The best thing about 80's music is that they always had a proper great tune... you know the song actually went somewhere... great riffs, catchy... and it didn't matter what genre... they all had great melodies.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/25/06 at 1:10 am

But some hair metal was very mainstream and likeable... Sheriff "When I'm With You", Def Leppard "Photograph". The best thing about 80's music is that they always had a proper great tune... you know the song actually went somewhere... great riffs, catchy... and it didn't matter what genre... they all had great melodies.

Yeah.  I like melody.  Rhythm is secondary.

Written By: whistledog on 02/25/06 at 1:13 am

When I'm With You by Sherrif still remains one of the best ballads of the 80's.  Not only was it a hit, but but was a hit twice 8)

Written By: robby76 on 02/25/06 at 1:26 am

[quote author=whis

Check for new replies or respond here...