inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Cyndi Lauper

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/25/06 at 1:10 am

Wasn't she hot in the '80s?  She was talented too, even if her music is too cheesy even for my tastes.

Subject: Re: Cyndi Lauper

Written By: whistledog on 02/25/06 at 1:14 am

Her best song was "The Goonies R Good Enough" from the film of the same name 8)

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/25/06 at 1:15 am

[quote author=whis

Written By: velvetoneo on 02/25/06 at 1:16 am

Yep, I just downloaded one of her albums. She was hot around 1983 or so, though she was soon supplanted by Madonna, considered her rival. At the time, she was considered to possibly be the "next big thing" of the 1980s, but it really passed her by. Her music was good, but she never had the image or the diversity in her music. Madonna was another working-class Italian struggling in NYC in the early '80s, and I admit that Madonna stole alot of Cyndi's style or at least got it from the same sources, with the riffs on pop, punk, and new wave. She was a fun, cheesy artist who got overshadowed by somebody in a different category than her.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/25/06 at 1:17 am

Yep, I just downloaded one of her albums. She was hot around 1983 or so, though she was soon supplanted by Madonna, considered her rival. At the time, she was considered to possibly be the "next big thing" of the 1980s, but it really passed her by. Her music was good, but she never had the image or the diversity in her music. Madonna was another working-class Italian struggling in NYC in the early '80s, and I admit that Madonna stole alot of Cyndi's style or at least got it from the same sources, with the riffs on pop, punk, and new wave. She was a fun, cheesy artist who got overshadowed by somebody in a different category than her.

Yeah.  I mean, Girls Just Want To Have Fun probably sounded like an oldie even in 1987.

Written By: velvetoneo on 02/25/06 at 1:21 am

Yeah, it was definitely an oldie by the late '80s, and her career was basically over by then. The whole synth-pop thing was also basically over-Madonna, always a predicter of trends, had last used synths in some tracks on 1986's True Blue, but just on the title track, I think, and maybe a few others. Stuff like "La Isla Bonita" and "Papa Don't Preach" was using some soft rock with lots of jazz, classical, and Spanish instrumentation...and even in the few that did, like Open Your Heart, they were used in a more late '80s-early '90s way. She was an innocuous pop artist who did some great songs, but didn't have the staying power to survive against bigger people.

She's definitely a more talented singer than Madonna technically, but Madonna is more multifaceted and had more star power and you're really drawn to Madonna in so many ways, while Lauper, while interesting, isn't anywhere near that.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/25/06 at 1:26 am

Yeah, it was definitely an oldie by the late '80s, and her career was basically over by then. The whole synth-pop thing was also basically over-Madonna, always a predicter of trends, had last used synths in some tracks on 1986's True Blue, but just on the title track, I think, and maybe a few others. Stuff like "La Isla Bonita" and "Papa Don't Preach" was using some soft rock with lots of jazz, classical, and Spanish instrumentation...and even in the few that did, like Open Your Heart, they were used in a more late '80s-early '90s way. She was an innocuous pop artist who did some great songs, but didn't have the staying power to survive against bigger people.

She was really pretty though in the '80s, in an "unusual" way.  :D

Written By: whistledog on 02/25/06 at 1:28 am

Did you know her '84 hit "She Bop" was a song about masturbation? :o

Written By: velvetoneo on 02/25/06 at 1:29 am

Yep, she's good looking. http://hitparade.ch/cdimg/cyndi_lauper-time_after_time_s.jpg Madonna most definitely stole that look from her...that, or there's a third party they both stole it from.

Yeah, "She-Bop" joins "Icicle" by Tori Amos as a female masturbation classic...

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/25/06 at 1:30 am

[quote author=whis

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/25/06 at 1:31 am

Yep, she's good looking. http://hitparade.ch/cdimg/cyndi_lauper-time_after_time_s.jpg Madonna most definitely stole that look from her...that, or there's a third party they both stole it from.

Yeah, "She-Bop" joins "Icicle" by Tori Amos as a female masturbation classic...

That's not really the best picture  ;D

Written By: ADH13 on 02/25/06 at 1:36 am

I'm not a big Cyndi Lauper fan... but True Colors was ok...

Written By: FaultyDog on 02/25/06 at 2:06 am

I'm not a big Cyndi Lauper fan... but True Colors was ok...

Me neither. I like these three however: "Time After Time", "True Colors" and "I Drove All Night".

Check for new replies or respond here...