inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Are Foreigner eighties?

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/25/06 at 2:16 am

Even though it's tempting to say they're a Seventies holdover, I would call them an eighties band.  They sound like a precursor to hair metal, and I Want To Know What Love Is sounds very very 1980s.

Subject: Re: Are Foreigner eighties?

Written By: whistledog on 02/25/06 at 2:23 am

Foreigner are a 70's band who existed in the 80's :)

Written By: Marty McFly on 02/25/06 at 2:25 am

Even though it's tempting to say they're a Seventies holdover, I would call them an eighties band.  They sound like a precursor to hair metal, and I Want To Know What Love Is sounds very very 1980s.

Yeah. I would call them halfway Journey-ish pop/rock and halfway metal/hard rock.

Stylewise per decade they're kinda like The Cars. Their early hits were "70s" but not so much to date themselves. Even some of those, such as "Double Vision" I always thought, kinda sounded like they were pointing towards the '80s.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/25/06 at 2:26 am

Yeah. I would call them halfway Journey-ish pop/rock and halfway metal/hard rock.

Stylewise per decade they're kinda like The Cars. Their early hits were "70s" but not so much to date themselves. Even some of those, such as "Double Vision" I always thought, kinda sounded like they were pointing towards the '80s.

Come to think of it, they're kind of similar to the Cars musically, aren't they?  They're rock and roll-ish, but with a synthy touch.  They're not as new wavey as the Cars are, but they're kind of the same sort of thing.

Written By: Marty McFly on 02/25/06 at 2:27 am

^ More on their later stuff, but I agree. They're a more guitar oriented Cars, especially on their three '80s albums (although "4" sounded a bit '70s still).

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/25/06 at 2:30 am

^ More on their later stuff, but I agree. They're a more guitar oriented Cars, especially on their three '80s albums (although "4" sounded a bit '70s still).

I agree.  "Drive" by the Cars is kind of the same vibe as "I Want To Know What Love Is", but more synthy.

Written By: whistledog on 02/25/06 at 2:37 am

Foreigner kind of adapted their sound to fit in with the 80's.  '4' was riding high on the early 80's, as most of what was in the top 40 was the pop rock style of the 70's.  On their 1987 release 'Inside Information', you can certainly hear their 80's sound on the hit 'Say You Will'

Even on Lou Gramm's 1989 solo album 'Long Hard Look' and it's top hit 'Just Between You and Me' sort of fit in with that mid 80's sound as the songs of 1989 were taking on a more rap/dance style and didn't sound like what 'Just Between You and Me' ended up sounding like

Written By: Marty McFly on 02/25/06 at 2:43 am

^ Good point. I always thought "Just Between You and Me" sounded more like 1985 than '89. For whatever reason, the synthline reminds me of The Police's "King of Pain".

He had another hit called "Midnight Blue" which kinda sounded like early '80s AOR.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/25/06 at 8:35 am

They are a 70's band that became really big in the 80's, and pretty much faded away later.

Written By: Gis on 02/25/06 at 9:27 am

He had another hit called "Midnight Blue" which kinda sounded like early '80s AOR.
I love that song. They are definatly a 70's band who became bigger in the 80's.

Check for new replies or respond here...