inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Female Pop Singers..circa 1980

Written By: lleelee on 02/27/06 at 12:07 am

Before Madonna, Cyndi Lauper, Whitney Houston, Taylor Dayne, and Tina Turner dominated the pop charts in the mid-eighties. They were pop singers we loved listening to before 1983.  Of course they was Deborah Harry, Olivia-Newton-John, Irene Cara, Sheena Easton(before Prince) Kim Carnes Laura Braningan and Pat Benatar. Who did you enjoy listening to before Mtv made pop stars?  I may have forgotten a few names please feel free to mention some.  :o

Subject: Re: Female Pop Singers..circa 1980

Written By: ADH13 on 02/27/06 at 12:10 am

Joan Jett, Bonnie Tyler, Toni Basil, Donna Summer, Shannon, Nena... in addition to those you already mentioned... and if you're including girl-groups, we can't forget the Go-Go's!

Written By: velvetoneo on 02/27/06 at 12:14 am

Of those mentioned, I adore Irene Cara ("Flashdance" and "Fame" are two great soundtrack songs), and I've always had a soft spot for Pat Benatar and the Go-Gos. Pat Benatar is one of the lower rungs on my list of guilty pleasures, but she still ranks in it  ;D . "Hell...hell is for children!"

Written By: whistledog on 02/27/06 at 12:37 am

Amy Holland (aka Mrs. Michael McDonald).  Remember her big 1980 hit "How Do I Survive?"

There was also Stephanie Mills, Melissa Manchester, Karla Bonoff, Rita Coolidge and Kim Carnes

Written By: lleelee on 02/27/06 at 2:38 pm

Before Madonna, Cyndi Lauper, Whitney Houston, Taylor Dayne, and Tina Turner dominated the pop charts in the mid-eighties. They were pop singers we loved listening to before 1983.  Of course they was Deborah Harry, Olivia-Newton-John, Irene Cara, Sheena Easton(before Prince) Kim Carnes Laura Braningan and Pat Benatar. Who did you enjoy listening to before Mtv made pop stars?  I may have forgotten a few names please feel free to mention some.  :o

The point I was trying to make was alot female singers from the early 80s not all had that crossover MTV appeal.  Though alot of them continue to record music in the throughtout the 80s I dont recall seeing their videos on Mtv. I was a preteen at the time but I do remember Melissa Manchester, Juice Newton, Linda Ronstadt, Diana Ross was popular too. I didnt forget the GoGos and Joan Jett but they became MTV stars. If you look back the pop charts were ruled by men, not too many female solo performers.

Check for new replies or respond here...