inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Were kids nicer in the '80s?

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/27/06 at 1:47 am

I would say generally no, they were meaner, BUT this is because in the eighties, kids were allowed to be kids.  They were able to play outside, govern the recess yard, and use their imagination ... which largely went away in the helicopter-parent nineties.

Subject: Re: Were kids nicer in the '80s?

Written By: ADH13 on 02/27/06 at 1:58 am

kids may have been allowed to be kids, but I would definitely say they were nicer in the 80's... although I can only speak for where I came from... we were never allowed to disrespect an adult, we weren't allowed to cuss, and our parents didn't make excuses for us if we did something wrong... we had to suffer the consequences of our actions... unlike today, when kids act up they get sent to the nurse's office for some more ridalin. ::)

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/27/06 at 2:02 am

kids may have been allowed to be kids, but I would definitely say they were nicer in the 80's... although I can only speak for where I came from... we were never allowed to disrespect an adult, we weren't allowed to cuss, and our parents didn't make excuses for us if we did something wrong... we had to suffer the consequences of our actions... unlike today, when kids act up they get sent to the nurse's office for some more ridalin. ::)

Did they still whip kids in the '80s?  Because I don't support that.

That Ritalin is BS though.

I think they were nicer to their parents, but not really to other kids. 

Written By: ADH13 on 02/27/06 at 2:06 am

Did they still whip kids in the '80s?  Because I don't support that.

That Ritalin is BS though.

I think they were nicer to their parents, but not really to other kids. 

No, we didn't get whipped... although I understand it was still accepted in the Latino culture at the time... but we got spanked (with a hand, usually on the hand or the butt)

It might have something to do with the fact that I grew up in a pretty tight-knit neighborhood... everybody knew everybody, so if a kid was mean to another kid, there was a pretty good chance it would get back to their parents...

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/27/06 at 2:08 am

No, we didn't get whipped... although I understand it was still accepted in the Latino culture at the time... but we got spanked (with a hand, usually on the hand or the butt)

It might have something to do with the fact that I grew up in a pretty tight-knit neighborhood... everybody knew everybody, so if a kid was mean to another kid, there was a pretty good chance it would get back to their parents...

Yeah, spanking is fine.  The punishment in spanking is more shame than violence.

Written By: ADH13 on 02/27/06 at 2:12 am

Yeah, spanking is fine.  The punishment in spanking is more shame than violence.

See, I moved from NY to CA when I was almost 12... so some things are hard to tell whether it's different because of where I was or difference in age... but i notice that in high school (in CA) things seemed really segregated... the white kids usually hung out together, the black kids had their own group, the hispanics, asian, etc... they seemed to have their different music tastes, clothes, etc. and sometimes there would be fights between the groups... but when I was a kid in NY we all listened to the same music, dressed the same and hung out together... one of my best friends was black and another was indian. and we all used to listen to michael jackson and culture club. :)

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/27/06 at 2:13 am

^Now that's utopia :)

Written By: Tam on 02/27/06 at 2:16 am

I would have to disagree.

Children of the 80's were more polite, they feared their parents and they would never dream of acting the way children do today. The 90's is when things started to change with children and the whole "spare the rod, spoil the child" and "time-outs" imo are what made some children they way they are today. Not to mention that worries about child abuse and CPS has scared some parents to the point where they do nothing whatsoever to rear their children.

Written By: ADH13 on 02/27/06 at 2:18 am

^Now that's utopia :)

I think I have a picture of all three of us somewhere... I'll have to see if I can find it... :)

Written By: bbigd04 on 02/27/06 at 2:21 am

I would have to disagree.

Children of the 80's were more polite, they feared their parents and they would never dream of acting the way children do today. The 90's is when things started to change with children and the whole "spare the rod, spoil the child" and "time-outs" imo are what made some children they way they are today. Not to mention that worries about child abuse and CPS has scared some parents to the point where they do nothing whatsoever to rear their children.

They may have been more polite with their parents, but they beat up on other kids more I think, there was more tension between different groups of kids then. I know a lot of kids that were polite with their parents and teachers from going to private school and they were the biggest jerks around.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/27/06 at 2:24 am

They may have been more polite with their parents, but they beat up on other kids more I think, there was more tension between different groups of kids then. I know a lot of kids that were polite with their parents and teachers from going to private school and they were the biggest jerks around.

Oh yes.  Actually, I think the kids of the eighties were the meanest of any decade.  Sure, they wouldn't cuss in front of parents, but they'd drink and cuss behind their backs all the time.

Written By: Tam on 02/27/06 at 2:26 am

I suppose I should have put in my post that I grew up in Canada.  ???

But then again, some kids these days don't just beat up others, they emotionally scar them, humilate them and some use deadly force that causes death. These weren't issues in the 80s.

Oh yes.  Actually, I think the kids of the eighties were the meanest of any decade.  Sure, they wouldn't cuss in front of parents, but they'd drink and cuss behind their backs all the time.

And some kids today don't?

Written By: bbigd04 on 02/27/06 at 2:29 am

Most parents have no idea what their kids are really into and how they act. I went to catholic school and all the parents thought their kids were the most polite and greatest kids around, yeah right, you wouldn't believe some of the stuff that goes on.

Written By: ADH13 on 02/27/06 at 2:29 am

I suppose I should have put in my post that I grew up in Canada.  ???

But then again, some kids these days don't just beat up others, they emotionally scar them, humilate them and some use deadly force that causes death. These weren't issues in the 80s.

hahhaha yeah and if we wanted to imitate video games back then, we'd turn into little yellow circles and eat little dots. :)

Written By: Marty McFly on 02/27/06 at 2:29 am

While it depends where you are, and upon each kid themselves, I'd say they were somewhat nicer (of course there were always brats, and there'll always be good kids, but just overall). At the time though, I'm sure people were saying "Kids were nicer in the '50s and '60s than these spoiled brats in 1988!"

I think the lack of hip hop influenced culture, acting and slang in the '80s probably makes it seem more innocent. One thing I can say for sure though, is back then, a kid's "rebellious" nature and sense of humor was more on the lines of teasing and juvenile kiddie humor (i.e. whoopie cushions, body function jokes ;D), whereas today (and in most of the '90s too) it was more actual rebellion - i.e. 8 year old kids talking back to their parents like a 13 year old might.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/27/06 at 2:29 am

^Oh, they still drink and cuss, for sure.  

Yeah, there weren't school shooting in the eighties, but I think there were knives and stuff.  And I'm sure there were plenty of rapes.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/27/06 at 2:33 am

While it depends where you are, and upon each kid themselves, I'd say they were somewhat nicer (of course there were always brats, and there'll always be good kids, but just overall). At the time though, I'm sure people were saying "Kids were nicer in the '50s and '60s than these spoiled brats in 1988!"

I think the lack of hip hop influenced culture, acting and slang in the '80s probably makes it seem more innocent. One thing I can say for sure though, is back then, a kid's "rebellious" nature and sense of humor was more on the lines of teasing and juvenile kiddie humor (i.e. whoopie cushions, body function jokes ;D), whereas today (and in most of the '90s too) it was more actual rebellion - i.e. 8 year old kids talking back to their parents like a 13 year old might.

I think the kids of the '00s (and probably to as far back as 1996/'97) definitely cuss more to parents, but this may be simply because cussing is more acceptable now.  But yeah, like I've said, in the '80s kids were allowed to be kids; they didn't have to act like "little adults".  That's not to say kids of any era aren't smart; hell some are smarter than some adults!  ;D

Written By: bbigd04 on 02/27/06 at 2:35 am

I suppose I should have put in my post that I grew up in Canada.  ???

My brother in law went to high school in the '80s and he's told me some stories, things like throwing other kids in trash cans, keg parties, fights, drugs, all went on in the '80s. Of course we're talking the Cleveland metro area here so who knows what went on in rural areas. Really kids are kids no matter what era. I do think there were more fights between kids in the '80s though.

Written By: whistledog on 02/27/06 at 2:35 am

Kids were mean in the 80's, but they were alot nicer than they are now.  In the 80's, a kid would simply tell you to piss off.  Now adays, a kid will tell you to piss off, then he'll kick the ѕhit out of you, steal your wallet, then kick the ѕhit out of you some more ;D

Written By: Marty McFly on 02/27/06 at 2:35 am

BTW, when I say "kids", I mean after infant/toddler stage, but prepubescent (say, 6-11/12). When you're talking about teens, that's another story. They were slightly more similar to teens in the '90s/00s at least in mindset.

If The Breakfast Club were remade today word for word, it would probably still have just as much relevance.

But, I think "kids" were into toys and such for a longer time. When I watch movies from the era, or tap into my own memory of it, I think a 12 year old in 1986 probably acted more like a kid than an 8 year old in 2006 would. Possibly the lack of the Internet made kids seem/act "kidlike" longer?

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/27/06 at 2:36 am

My brother in law went to high school in the '80s and he's told me some stories, things like throwing other kids in trash cans, keg parties, fights, drugs, all went on in the '80s. Of course we're talking the Cleveland metro area here so who knows what went on in rural areas. Really kids are kids no matter what era. I do think there were more fights between kids in the '80s though.

Agreed.

Plus, you've got to remember school shootings are extremely rare ... there were only like what, three or four in the whole nineties decade?

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/27/06 at 2:37 am

[quote author=whis

Written By: Marty McFly on 02/27/06 at 2:39 am

I think the kids of the '00s (and probably to as far back as 1996/'97) definitely cuss more to parents, but this may be simply because cussing is more acceptable now.  But yeah, like I've said, in the '80s kids were allowed to be kids; they didn't have to act like "little adults".  That's not to say kids of any era aren't smart; hell some are smarter than some adults!  ;D

Do you think kids (i.e. under 12 or 13) in the '80s enjoyed more traditional "kid" stuff (i.e. regular toys, Sesame Street, Saturday morning cartoons) more than today? Hell, I'll often see little kids at work who are into PS2 games and seem to care less about any of that. Some as young as 6 or 7. Of course I liked NES games and rock songs at that age myself too, so perhaps it wasn't that different?

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/27/06 at 2:41 am

Do you think kids (i.e. under 12 or 13) in the '80s enjoyed more traditional "kid" stuff (i.e. regular toys, Sesame Street, Saturday morning cartoons) more than today? Hell, I'll often see little kids at work who are into PS2 games and seem to care less about any of that. Some as young as 6 or 7. Of course I liked NES games and rock songs at that age myself too, so perhaps it wasn't that different?

Yeah maybe, but I think today kids sort of subconsciously still enjoy kid stuff.  Hell, I liked Disney Channel until I was like 14.  But I do think in the eighties there was less pressure to give it up so quick, but I never felt robbed of my childhood for living in the nineties.

Written By: ADH13 on 02/27/06 at 2:46 am

Yeah, I think so, to an extent... I used to play with Matchbox cars all the time... and as I got older, I was more "collecting" them than actually playing with them... hehehe and my grandparents used to always tell my mom to stop buying me boy's toys... and start buying me dolls instead... i wonder what they were afraid of? ;D

Written By: Tam on 02/27/06 at 2:46 am

I was into Simon, Merlin, board games, tree forts, bike riding - and of course boys.
I personally could have cared less about Atari or Intellivision - they were boy games (not to mention so expensive for their time).
Saturday morning cartoons were the best cartoons imo.

Can I ask how old you are DD?

Written By: Marty McFly on 02/27/06 at 2:47 am

Yeah maybe, but I think today kids sort of subconsciously still enjoy kid stuff.  Hell, I liked Disney Channel until I was like 14.  But I do think in the eighties there was less pressure to give it up so quick, but I never felt robbed of my childhood for living in the nineties.

I'd say so. I've previously said that when I was an actual kid, I didn't really like it (i.e. I wanted to be taken seriously and be "cool"), but it doesn't mean I didn't still like kid stuff. There wasn't quite as many other alternatives out there to make it seem uncool/dumb to an 8 year old.

BTW, as far as teens are concerned -- I think there were still bullys and jerks out there, but it seemed more of a "jock" thing. You know the kind that would steal a nerd's lunch money or would only want to be seen dating the hottest chicks (i.e. cheerleaders) in school - while blowing everyone else off. Like I've mentioned before, the kind of "former bully" who was still a d*ck you'd see on a Jenny Jones "geek to chik" episode in the '90s.

Today that same jock mentality has kinda filtered down to more and more people, so it's not as "shocking" anymore. In other words, those individual teens aren't nearly as bad by themselves as a 1986 jock was, but the mass of them in 2006 is worse.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/27/06 at 2:49 am

I'd say so. I've previously said that when I was an actual kid, I didn't really like it (i.e. I wanted to be taken seriously and be "cool"), but it doesn't mean I didn't still like kid stuff. There wasn't quite as many other alternatives out there to make it seem uncool/dumb to an 8 year old.

BTW, as far as teens are concerned -- I think there were still bullys and jerks out there, but it seemed more of a "jock" thing. You know the kind that would steal a nerd's lunch money or would only want to be seen dating the hottest chicks (i.e. cheerleaders) in school - while blowing everyone else off. Like I've mentioned before, the kind of "former bully" who was still a d*ck you'd see on a Jenny Jones "geek to chik" episode in the '90s.

Today that same jock mentality has kinda filtered down to more and more people, so it's not as "shocking" anymore. In other words, those individual teens aren't nearly as bad by themselves as a 1986 jock was, but the mass of them in 2006 is worse.

Yeah.  I mean when I was 7 I actually didn't think I like cartoons, even though I watched them about 8 hours a day  ;D

Yeah, I see what you mean.  There are more jocks, but they're not as mean.  I guess you could say the '00s school atmosphere (and to some extent, that of the '90s also) is less "polar", but overall more negative.

Written By: bbigd04 on 02/27/06 at 2:50 am

I was off of the kid stuff by about 11, when I was a kid, I was very imaginative and played with toy cars, those toy computers, those little portable video game things, legos, stuffed animals. Watched cartoons, I had tons of toys, played outside a lot. I think today's kids are fairly similiar, but I do think that by like 8 or 9 they already seem to get into more pre-teen/teen type stuff and are less into cartoons, they also probably are on the computer more than I was at that age.

Written By: robby76 on 02/27/06 at 2:51 am

Kids seem to go from rattles and teddies straight to violent speed racing PS2 games. Where's the imagination gone in playing with toys? Where are the decent action figures? Where's the quality kids programming.

Kids in the 80's might not necessarily have been nicer, but they stayed innocent longer... i.e. before the age of 12. Everyone loved their cheesy good morals in cartoons (Care Bears / He-man) and shows like Punky Brewster. It wasn't til wise-talking shows like the Simpsons and Beavis & Butthead arrived that kids started talking back. I hate to sound like an old man as i loved the Simpsons too, but by then I wasn't a little kid and could appreciate sarcasm as comedy. Kids in the 80's below 12 were generally indoors at night too and not drinking on your street corners in gangs.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/27/06 at 2:54 am

^Like I said, kids were kids longer in the eighties.

As for drinking at night, I'd have to disagree ... I think an eighties kid would be more likely to do that.

Would you say the '90s kids are more innocent than now's ... or about the same?

Written By: ADH13 on 02/27/06 at 2:54 am

One thing though about the 80's (Im not sure how it is now, since I'm not in school anymore) the mentally challenged kids got picked on alot... even by some of my friends...  I never did anything mean to them or anything, but there was this one girl who lived on my block... and my mom used to make me invite her to all my birthday parties, etc.. and I used to hate that... I feel kind of guilty about that now, I know she didn't have many friends...

Written By: bbigd04 on 02/27/06 at 2:56 am

^Like I said, kids were kids longer in the eighties.

As for drinking at night, I'd have to disagree ... I think an eighties kid would be more likely to do that.

Would you say the '90s kids are more innocent than now's ... or about the same?

I'd say kids (up to 12) were more innocent than today's typical 11/12 year olds.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/27/06 at 2:57 am

One thing though about the 80's (Im not sure how it is now, since I'm not in school anymore) the mentally challenged kids got picked on alot... even by some of my friends...  I never did anything mean to them or anything, but there was this one girl who lived on my block... and my mom used to make me invite her to all my birthday parties, etc.. and I used to hate that... I feel kind of guilty about that now, I know she didn't have many friends...

Yeah, in the eighties it wasn't cool to be smart like it is now, but being a retard really destroyed your social life then, I'm afraid :(

Written By: bbigd04 on 02/27/06 at 2:59 am

One thing though about the 80's (Im not sure how it is now, since I'm not in school anymore) the mentally challenged kids got picked on alot... even by some of my friends...  I never did anything mean to them or anything, but there was this one girl who lived on my block... and my mom used to make me invite her to all my birthday parties, etc.. and I used to hate that... I feel kind of guilty about that now, I know she didn't have many friends...

They still would pick on them at my high school, though not too bad, but they were made fun of at times for sure.

Written By: Marty McFly on 02/27/06 at 3:03 am

Yeah, in the eighties it wasn't cool to be smart like it is now, but being a retard really destroyed your social life then, I'm afraid :(

I do think the Internet, cameraphones, etc (even video games in the '80s might've been the initial "push") was responsible for that. We have to figure stuff out and it's in our daily lives now, so especially 1997+, you almost have to be smart, ya know?

Possibly, people are more tolerant/accepting of it today 'cause -- again, partly from the Internet -- we know one size doesn't fit all in everyone, so just because someone's smart, it's not like they're an automatic nerd. But in the '80s there was still that perception, unfortunately.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/27/06 at 3:05 am

I do think the Internet, cameraphones, etc (even video games in the '80s might've been the initial "push") was responsible for that. We have to figure stuff out and it's in our daily lives now, so especially 1997+, you almost have to be smart, ya know?

Possibly, people are more tolerant/accepting of it today 'cause -- again, partly from the Internet -- we know one size doesn't fit all in everyone, so just because someone's smart, it's not like they're an automatic nerd. But in the '80s there was still that perception, unfortunately.

I agree. I mean, in the eighties a kid would wake up, eat Oat Boats, go to school, dance in the living room, watch TV, eat dinner, do homework, watch more TV, read a book and go to bed.  Then on the weekends they'd party with their friends.  Not much intelligence there.

Whereas since 1997 and especially since 1999 being digital and tech isn't really a choice anymore, so you've got to be smart.  Stupid kids aren't exactly the "new nerds", but they're not necessarily the most cool anymore either.

Written By: ADH13 on 02/27/06 at 3:08 am

I agree. I mean, in the eighties a kid would wake up, eat Oat Boats, go to school, dance in the living room, watch TV, eat dinner, do homework, watch more TV, read a book and go to bed.  Then on the weekends they'd party with their friends.  Not much intelligence there.

Whereas since 1997 and especially since 1999 being digital and tech isn't really a choice anymore, so you've got to be smart.  Stupid kids aren't exactly the "new nerds", but they're not necessarily the most cool anymore either.

I don't want to stereotype here.... but it seems certain groups these days go out of their way NOT to succeed academically...  :(

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/27/06 at 3:09 am

I don't want to stereotype here.... but it seems certain groups these days go out of their way NOT to succeed academically...  :(

I'm afraid so ... although I'm not sure this wasn't the case in the eighties.  Like I said, I think being smart was less cool in the eighties.

Written By: Marty McFly on 02/27/06 at 3:09 am

I know you got "Oat Boats" from that Full House episode. ;D

But I agree. There was still TV and other entertainment (I'm sure 11 year olds watched MTV in 1985), but it was more in spurts. They might only be allowed to watch TV for one or two hours a day until their parents came home, whereas now they might be online for five!

Kids seem to be more articulate today because of that too, which isn't a bad thing.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/27/06 at 3:25 am

I know you got "Oat Boats" from that Full House episode. ;D

;D

I was hoping you'd get the reference.  ;D

Written By: gmann on 02/27/06 at 12:13 pm

I'm afraid so ... although I'm not sure this wasn't the case in the eighties.  Like I said, I think being smart was less cool in the eighties.

I was on the receiving end of a lot of abuse from bullies in middle school during the 80s, so I know exactly what you're talking about there. It usually was related to my "smart" factor, or "dork" factor...depending on how one saw it. :(  It took a long time for me to shake that crap off, but I did , eventually..

Based on my experience (both in school and out), I'm not so sure that kids are much different from their 80s/90s counterparts. they may be more tech-saavy, but they can still be remarkably cruel to one another. If being "smart" is finally cool, I don't think it will last. The fact of the matter is, some people like to exploit differences in a negative fashion to make themselves feel surperior. I saw it happen when I was a kid, and I've seen it happen as an adult. Plain truth.   

Written By: velvetoneo on 02/27/06 at 12:41 pm

BTW, speaking of bullies and retarded people in the '80s, in 1989 there was a big rape in my town where twelve high school football players raped a retarded girl...you can look up the book on it, "Our Guys", on amazon.com if you'd like. There used to be alot of jock oppression and social strata back then, the whole case was one of the things that led people to stop bullying nationally. It made my town famous for all the wrong reasons, though...I don't think kids were that much nicer in the '80s, no. There was alot more bullying, picking on nerds and gay people, etc. I think it's actually probably somewhat easier now to cross social strata. Kids definitely didn't talk back to their parents until they were 12 or so, but they were pretty sh*tty to other kids back then. And it's sort of a myth that kids don't play outside anymore and turn to little adults by 8, it's just some kids.

Written By: rich1981 on 02/27/06 at 7:39 pm

I don't really think kids were really nicer back then but I think the proportion of mean kids has increased over time due to conveniences such as the internet since there is less threat for people to bad mouth each other over a communication medium as opposed to a face to face conversation.

Written By: velvetoneo on 02/27/06 at 8:47 pm

So many controversies happen over the internet in social situations, sometimes I think it would be better if it didn't exist at all.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/27/06 at 9:16 pm

^This is hypocritical coming from me, considering I practically live on the Internet, but I think the worst problem with it is Globalization.  Everywhere's gonna be like California within a century, I swear.

Written By: velvetoneo on 02/27/06 at 9:20 pm

Meh. People underestimate the impact of human differentiation, economics, reality, etc. when they talk about globalization. It's having impact, sure, but there's still plenty of regional culture and there always will be, it's something humans just naturally do.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/27/06 at 9:21 pm

Meh. People underestimate the impact of human differentiation, economics, reality, etc. when they talk about globalization. It's having impact, sure, but there's still plenty of regional culture and there always will be, it's something humans just naturally do.

I hope you're right :)

Written By: velvetoneo on 02/27/06 at 9:23 pm

I hope you're right :)

I think I am. People have fatalistic tendencies and tend to ignore the impact of religion, economics, weather, and humanity when talking about globalization. I think that's just people thinking like companies. Eventually, hopefully pretty soon (with the way it's going by 2015 at the latest), there's going to be a backlash against some of this sheesh.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 02/27/06 at 10:33 pm

Kids have always been brats...however, I think that in the 80's the majority of kids (at least ones that I knew) had more respect for their parents and authority figures.  When I was in school back then...it was almost unheard of for a student to fly off the handle, calling the teacher vulgar names or even thinking about hitting or causing physical pain.  Infact, there were only one or two real "troublemakers" in my classes, and they weren't even THAT bad....they would be angels compared to alot of today's kids.

Some of the neighborhood kids used to be really bratty though, enjoyed calling names and being real pains in the arses...they were definitely NOT nice....but, the majority of kids were pretty much ok.

I have seen the degree of respect for authority diminish over the years. I used to want to be a teacher, at one point in my life...but there is no way that I would want to put myself in that situation nowadays....you have to be fearful for your life anymore....and it's a shame that it has gotten to that point.  I really blame certain families for that behavior though....it seemed like when I was younger...there were a LOT less dysfunctional families out there, like there are today. It seemed like people had stronger values and really cared about the family unit...therefore, having a LOT less stress to endure...compared to the children of today. My mom is a school nurse in an elementary school and you wouldn't believe the things she sees, concerning certain children and the situations that they have to grow up in....it is really very very sad how we have become over the years.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 02/28/06 at 3:34 am

I agree with Erin on the part that kids will always be brats - but, certain eras have been able to control some of these situations on different levels, or they've been represented differently by media and such. Lets say like in the 1960's, the hippie movement was sort of the kids rebellion phase, then in the 70's it was the disco clubbing, growing out their hair long, wearing pants (for girls, which was unfathomable in the 50's and 60's), etc.

There may be some underlining issues as to why kids seem more disrepectful these days:

1) Media influence - more media exposure means the more we hear about unruly kids.
2) Overdone Political Correctness - remember the 6 year getting suspended for kissing a fellow student??!! How crazy!
3) Technology - Technology is quite an expense, and parents are dishing out big bucks for their kids to keep up with the Jones'
4) Lack of Creativity Output - Kids are getting sucked indoors more and more, rather than staying outside and exploring places and being imaginative - this may be a direct connection between the sudden outbreak of kidnappings throughout the 80's and 90's.

These could be some reasons for kids acting out differently in this era than in previous eras, yet these reasons seem llike they could comply with previous decades as well.

As a kid growing up in the 80's, bullying wasn't all that evident to me. I mean kids roughhoused and said mean stuff from time to time, but I don't remember ever seeing that ever happening much. Kids are kids, and they just go by what their surroundings are or what they've been conditioned with.

I think what I miss most about growing up as a kid in the 80's is their were less distractions. I mean, if I wanted to go outside, I didn't have much to keep indoors because we didn't have a computer. We did have a Sega Megasystem, but I mean, if you want to talk about primitive - 8 bits was pretty primitive, so game playing was not as enticing for kids then as it seems to be now.

Another thing is, we played board games A LOT! I hardly see kids doing that now. I'm afraid to see them off the shelves one day and they all end up turning digitized. Yikes!

So, to get to the root of the question, kids were not meaner back in the 80's - they just had different influences, but to me, they seemed fairly respectful.

Written By: MotleyCrueFan'05 on 02/28/06 at 8:56 am

K
I agree with Erin on the part that kids will always be brats - but, certain eras have been able to control some of these situations on different levels, or they've been represented differently by media and such. Lets say like in the 1960's, the hippie movement was sort of the kids rebellion phase, then in the 70's it was the disco clubbing, growing out their hair long, wearing pants (for girls, which was unfathomable in the 50's and 60's), etc.

There may be some underlining issues as to why kids seem more disrepectful these days:

1) Media influence - more media exposure means the more we hear about unruly kids.
2) Overdone Political Correctness - remember the 6 year getting suspended for kissing a fellow student??!! How crazy!
3) Technology - Technology is quite an expense, and parents are dishing out big bucks for their kids to keep up with the Jones'
4) Lack of Creativity Output - Kids are getting sucked indoors more and more, rather than staying outside and exploring places and being imaginative - this may be a direct connection between the sudden outbreak of kidnappings throughout the 80's and 90's.

These could be some reasons for kids acting out differently in this era than in previous eras, yet these reasons seem llike they could comply with previous decades as well.

As a kid growing up in the 80's, bullying wasn't all that evident to me. I mean kids roughhoused and said mean stuff from time to time, but I don't remember ever seeing that ever happening much. Kids are kids, and they just go by what their surroundings are or what they've been conditioned with.

I think what I miss most about growing up as a kid in the 80's is their were less distractions. I mean, if I wanted to go outside, I didn't have much to keep indoors because we didn't have a computer. We did have a Sega Megasystem, but I mean, if you want to talk about primitive - 8 bits was pretty primitive, so game playing was not as enticing for kids then as it seems to be now.

Another thing is, we played board games A LOT! I hardly see kids doing that now. I'm afraid to see them off the shelves one day and they all end up turning digitized. Yikes!

So, to get to the root of the question, kids were not meaner back in the 80's - they just had different influences, but to me, they seemed fairly respectful.

Kids today are SPOILED

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 02/28/06 at 10:38 am

I agree with you Krissy. Kids today don't have the "freedom" of sorts that we did when we were younger.  When I was a kid....we would play all day long outside, with the neighborhood kids...my parents didn't have to constantly worry about where I was...they were content with me telling them that I was going to ride my bike or go over a neighbor's house, etc...there wasn't that constant fear that there is nowadays about your children being abducted and killed....kids were able to be kids...run around, play neighborhood games, get dirty, play hard...and then come home at dusk to settle in for the night. I miss those kinds of days so much...and I feel bad for the kids today, not being able to fully experience those kinds of memories. There is WAY too much technology today for kids. The internet is a great thing...but it is an awful thing as well...as are video games, etc.  When I was young...we had a Nintendo system...but it didn't control our lives...we would play it here and there, but we spent SO much time outdoors, it was so much healthier for us.

Written By: velvetoneo on 02/28/06 at 12:43 pm

I really still do see kids outdoors, though there has probably been some diminishment in the time kids spend just doing nothing. My mom works in a pre-K right now in the inner city, the kids there almost never go outside from what I can gather for fear of being shot, but she taught at our temple a few blocks down from me for a long time and the kids still seemed to spend alot of time outside playing, and seemed very creative and imaginative. And yes, I think kids are WAY less respectful of authority figures now, in elementary school anyway...alot of kids are spoiled rotten, more than they used to be, because their parents are working so long and they just give them "Disney" time. I think HS is, from stories I've heard, about the same since the '60s or '70s or so.

Check for new replies or respond here...