inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Cheesiest Song of the Eighties

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/28/06 at 5:26 pm

Subject: Re: Cheesiest Song of the Eighties

Written By: velvetoneo on 02/28/06 at 5:40 pm

"Mr. Roboto." Just that title conjures up images of '80s cheese like Brie left out too long in the sun.

Written By: livinonthe80s on 02/28/06 at 5:44 pm

hmmm...didn't you already have this thread before, just without the poll???

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 02/28/06 at 5:55 pm

The Safety Dance - Men Without Hats

with this coming a close second:
Putting on the Ritz - Taco

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/28/06 at 6:40 pm

hmmm...didn't you already have this thread before, just without the poll???

I think so.  Oh well.  ;D

Written By: whistledog on 02/28/06 at 6:42 pm

I think so.  Oh well.  ;D

Thread whore  >:(  ;D

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 02/28/06 at 6:43 pm

And: Be Good Johnny - Men @ Work

Very cheesy.

Written By: whistledog on 02/28/06 at 6:45 pm

And: Be Good Johnny - Men @ Work

Very cheesy.

That song is so very cheesy.  I love Men at Work, but that song is not a very good song ;D

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/28/06 at 6:53 pm

Putting on the Ritz - Taco

Written By: ADH13 on 02/28/06 at 7:37 pm

Umm.. I don't think any of the ones you listed are particularly cheesy... so I'd have to say other and pick:

Ebony And Ivory - Stevie Wonder & Paul McCartney
Cherish - Kool & The Gang
I Miss You - Klymaxx
Crush On You - The Jets
Everybody Have Fun Tonight - Wang Chung

although I do like all of these...

Written By: lleelee on 02/28/06 at 10:41 pm

The 80's were defined by cheesy music though I still love most of it. The cheesiest to me was anything by Huey Lewis and the News.  Take on Me by Aha  You Spin Me Round by Dead or Allive, Wake Me Up Before You GoGo by Wham and SledgeHammer by Peter Gabriel.  There's alot more of course like the ones mentioned on the previous posts. :\'(

Written By: ADH13 on 02/28/06 at 10:45 pm

I almost forgot about the cheesiest of them all... Don't Worry, Be Happy by Bobby McFerrin! :P

And I don't like that one.

Written By: 80smuzikhead on 03/01/06 at 12:47 am

Other: "Agadoo" by Black Lace. :D :D

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 03/01/06 at 2:32 am

If Bruce Willis and Don Johnson could have semi-hits in the 80's, then that was CHEESE all the way!

Written By: Tony J Case on 03/01/06 at 2:37 am

Wait! Wait! I want to change my vote! I want to go with Survivor's Eye of the Tiger! That's the best Stadium Rock song of ALL TIME, and why it didnt make the cheese cut (cut the cheese?!?) is beyond me!

Written By: Electric Youth on 03/01/06 at 2:47 am

Thanks for not voting a Debbie Gibson song (yet)...  :)  :P  :-[  :D  ???  :-\\  ;D

Written By: livinonthe80s on 03/01/06 at 6:15 am

The 80's were defined by cheesy music though I still love most of it. The cheesiest to me was anything by Huey Lewis and the News.  Take on Me by Aha  You Spin Me Round by Dead or Allive, Wake Me Up Before You GoGo by Wham and SledgeHammer by Peter Gabriel.  There's alot more of course like the ones mentioned on the previous posts. :\'(

>:(  MAN Take on Me kicked ass!!!  WHo could ever forget their video that was the coolest!!!  You Spin Me Round was a cool song too, maybe the video was cheesy with the singer frayling his finger in the air like some ******. ;D

Written By: SpaceHog on 03/01/06 at 7:09 am

I voted other, but the most cheesiest song award goes to:

Future's So Bright-Timbuk 3.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 03/01/06 at 11:26 am

I know I'll be an outcast for saying this but I'm not afraid to admit it I like "Heaven" by Warrant :-[. But it cant be denied. As much as I may like that song it is the ultimate cheeseball of the 80's. "Mr. Roboto" was a close second but nothing can compare to the cheesieness of the quientessential "power ballad".

Written By: Trimac20 on 03/01/06 at 11:36 pm

All that Meatloaf/Journey crap...

Written By: Marty McFly on 03/02/06 at 3:10 am

As far as overall cheesiness, probably "The Final Countdown" - people probably give this one a hard time not just 'cause it's keyboardy/lite hair metal, but it's also very "80s" in that futuristic/space travel sense. It's not even your typical girls/party anthem song.

I love it personally, but I'll even admit it's cheesy. I wouldn't want to be caught listening to it by anyone I didn't know. ;)

BTW, I basically like every song on there (especially anything arena rock - Open Arms, Heaven, I Wanna Know What Love is, etc) - even ones like "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun" and "Gloria" have their own pop cultural merit. Out of the new wave-ish songs, "Don't You Want Me Baby" has a great synth line. The singing is cheesy, but the music isn't.

Written By: livinonthe80s on 03/02/06 at 3:42 am

Thanks for not voting a Debbie Gibson song (yet)...  :)  :P  :-[  :D  ???  :-\\  ;D

Unfortunately "Lost in Your Eyes" was in VH1's top 40 worst love songs which I can't inderstand because I love "Lost in Your Eyes".  There were alot of songs that made the list which i disagree.

Written By: livinonthe80s on 03/02/06 at 3:45 am

As far as overall cheesiness, probably "The Final Countdown" - people probably give this one a hard time not just 'cause it's keyboardy/lite hair metal, but it's also very "80s" in that futuristic/space travel sense. It's not even your typical girls/party anthem song.

I love it personally, but I'll even admit it's cheesy. I wouldn't want to be caught listening to it by anyone I didn't know. ;)

BTW, I basically like every song on there (especially anything arena rock - Open Arms, Heaven, I Wanna Know What Love is, etc) - even ones like "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun" and "Gloria" have their own pop cultural merit. Out of the new wave-ish songs, "Don't You Want Me Baby" has a great synth line. The singing is cheesy, but the music isn't.

The only thing I will admit about Europe's music is that being from Sweden and not understanding the english language is that their lyrics didn't make sense.

Written By: JohnTaylorsHeart on 03/02/06 at 5:46 am

Mr. Roboto - Styx

Written By: SpaceHog on 03/02/06 at 2:43 pm

The only thing I will admit about Europe's music is that being from Sweden and not understanding the english language is that their lyrics didn't make sense.

Have you ever heard the beginning of Cherokee?

It sounds like they're saying; "Whiskers Pee's Alot."

But its something in Swedish.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/02/06 at 2:44 pm

In response to an above post, how can someone say "Take On Me" is the cheesiest song of the eighties?  It's a freaking classic!  :)

Written By: livinonthe80s on 03/02/06 at 6:13 pm

DITTO and AMEN!!!

Written By: Sister Morphine on 03/02/06 at 6:21 pm

I had to vote for "other", as I feel the cheesiest song of the decade was "Heart Don't Lie" by LaToya Jackson.

Written By: lizjagger on 04/06/06 at 12:13 am

definitely anything by Journey...and whoever mentioned "crush on you" by the jets ..I dont think that's chessy, it's just catchy, and I like it. :)

Written By: JamieMcBain on 04/06/06 at 3:45 pm

Respect Yourself by Bruce Willis.

Written By: Class of 84 on 04/06/06 at 4:49 pm

What about me - by Moving Pictures
I've never been to me - by Charlamagn (sp)?

Written By: Chasey on 04/09/06 at 12:26 pm

ok, I'm going to get on my high horse here with this subject <sound of Chasey strapping right foot into horse stirrup>

I get fedup of tunes getting labelled with this 80's 'cheese' tag.  I don't know exactly when this label came from, most likely it came from one of these stupid 'I love the 80's' programmes, with guest 'stars' like Right Said Fred...

Today they are all at it: Radio 1 presenters, DJ's, Music critiques...'80's cheese this, 80's cheese that...'

FACT:  The 80's were no more cheesy than most 70's disco, 90's and 00's boyband acts.  So I personally object to my era being singled out for what appears to be more criticism than most, and songs being labelled as cheesy.

The 80's were NOT defined by cheesy music.  They were defined by a vastly different styles of popular music, from Pop to synth, from New Wave to Punk, from Electro to Rap.  Yes, there was cheese <Renee & Renato, Stock, Aiken and Waterman>  but no more than in any other decade.

It does a very colourful era a complete injustice to label it with such a tag, especially from pillocks who never actually grew up in the 80's.

Check for new replies or respond here...