inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Meaning of '80s Songs

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/02/06 at 3:08 pm

What does "Take on Me" mean?  How does one "Dance With Themself"?

Post your guess on the meaning of any '80s song.

Subject: Re: Meaning of '80s Songs

Written By: Mushroom on 03/02/06 at 3:24 pm

What does "Take on Me" mean?

The classic pop song.  The words really did not mean anything, it was just catchy, with what is probably the best music video of all time.

How does one "Dance With Themself"?

This was largely seen as a reference to masturbation.  Some even see it as a reference to masturbating in public.

A-when there's no one else in sight,
A-in crowded lonely night
Well, I wait so long for my love vibration
And I'm dancing with myself

Oh oh. Dancing with a-myself,
Oh, oh, dancing with myself
Well, there's nothing to lose
And there's nothing to prove, well,
Dancing a-with myself, oh, oh, oh, oh.

Written By: joedeertae on 03/02/06 at 3:53 pm

In an interview, Billy Idol said the song Dancin With Myself was about the club scene in Japan. They have mirrors set up on the walls, and kids go in and dance with their mirror image instead of with another human being.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 03/02/06 at 3:54 pm

If anyone asks what "Relax" by Frankie Goes To Hollywood is about, I might laugh until I pee.

Written By: whistledog on 03/02/06 at 4:06 pm

If anyone asks what "Relax" by Frankie Goes To Hollywood is about, I might laugh until I pee.

The song "She Bop" by Cyndi Lauper is about the same thing

Written By: Sister Morphine on 03/02/06 at 4:09 pm

[quote author=whis

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/02/06 at 4:17 pm

Mmmm, I don't know about that.  The song "She Bop" is about masturbation, and everything I've read suggested that "Relax" was not about masturbation.

In case anyone is confused, "She Bop" is about masturbation with a vibrator and "Relax" is about not ejaculating prematurely.

Written By: Mushroom on 03/02/06 at 4:19 pm

Or about "I Touch Myself" by the Divinyls

Written By: Sister Morphine on 03/02/06 at 4:24 pm

In case anyone is confused, "She Bop" is about masturbation with a vibrator and "Relax" is about not ejaculating prematurely.

See, I had read that the song was written about gay men not being afraid to have sex, even though there was the AIDS epidemic was swirling around.  The line "Relax......when you wanna come", kinda tipped it off for me. 

Maybe there's different interpretations out there.

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/02/06 at 6:02 pm

See, I had read that the song was written about gay men not being afraid to have sex, even though there was the AIDS epidemic was swirling around.  The line "Relax......when you wanna come", kinda tipped it off for me. 

Maybe there's different interpretations out there.

Somewhere, there's an academic interpretation of every song by Frankie Goes to Hollywood, no doubt.

Written By: zcrito on 03/02/06 at 6:11 pm

Your question reminds me of the George Benson song, "Turn Your Love Around". A Korean student I worked with back in the mid-80s asked me what that means.

Written By: livinonthe80s on 03/03/06 at 2:29 am

Hmm...Take on Me, I would interpret it exactly like how the video is.  Seems as if it is asking a girl to be with you, at least that is how i felt about the song when it came out.  That is my take on the song. :)

Written By: joedeertae on 03/03/06 at 7:24 am

The members of Frankie Goes To Hollywood once stated in an interview that Relax is 100% about anal s *clears throat* "back door lovin".

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 03/03/06 at 2:39 pm

"Take On Me" always seemed easy to figure it out. Like "Livininthe80s" said, he's just asking the girl in the video to take him on. It's a classic video and I think without not seeing it, some of the meaning behind the song becomes lost.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/03/06 at 2:40 pm

"Take On Me" always seemed easy to figure it out. Like "Livininthe80s" said, he's just asking the girl in the video to take him on. It's a classic video and I think without not seeing it, some of the meaning behind the song becomes lost.

I LOVE Take on Me and most early a-ha songs.  It's my second favorite song :)

Written By: Lleelee on 03/04/06 at 12:00 am

One song that had different interpretations to me was "Drive" by the Cars. I was 14 when the song  was a hit. I tried to dissect the song I could only conclude is about being faced with adversity and being in denial about it. I could be wrong. :-\\

"You cant go on thinkin...nothin's wrong"
" Who's gonna drive you home. tonight"

Check for new replies or respond here...