inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The Ultimate 80's Band

Written By: Mac Leor on 03/02/06 at 6:02 pm

OK, this must have been done before, but since I'm new around here, whatta heck? Let's do it again! Let's vote on THE ULTIMATE 80's BAND?

Subject: Re: The Ultimate 80's Band

Written By: whistledog on 03/02/06 at 6:33 pm

The ultimate 80's band (i think) was ABC

Written By: ADH13 on 03/02/06 at 6:47 pm

Erasure is my favorite 80's band... although from more mainstream bands, I'd have to say Duran Duran.

Written By: SingBlueSilver on 03/03/06 at 11:47 am

I have to put in my vote for Duran Duran also.  Not just because they're one of my faves, but they basically invented the music video movement which was the heartbeat for 80s pop culture.  :)

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/03/06 at 6:23 pm

I have to put in my vote for Duran Duran also.  Not just because they're one of my faves, but they basically invented the music video movement which was the heartbeat for 80s pop culture.  :)

I agree with Duran Duran, they're THE '80s group to me, or maybe Bon Jovi. Those two together sort of represented mainstream pop culture for that decade apart from the '80s big three who I love talking about.

Written By: 80smuzikhead on 03/03/06 at 6:35 pm

Though I am not a huge fan, I too agree with Duran Duran being the ultimate 80s band. They had the look and the sound that most people associate with the 80s.

Written By: Trimac20 on 03/03/06 at 8:19 pm

What about Van Halen or INXS?

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/03/06 at 8:29 pm

What about Van Halen or INXS?

Van Halen was a '70s band too, and INXS is still around. It was definitely Duran Duran or Bon Jovi, if you're talking about hair metal.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/03/06 at 8:32 pm

Laura Branigan.  ABC really define cheesy synth pop though.  I've always thought Duran Duran are given too much credit.

Written By: Mac Leor on 03/03/06 at 9:24 pm

I don't know, guys, I'd not consider Bon Jovi was an 80's band. There something 80'ish missing there... Now, I'd have to agree with Duran Duran and ABC, but what about Tears for Fears, B-52's, Go-Go's and The Cars?

Written By: Max Headroom on 03/06/06 at 11:59 am

The two bands which bring me back to the 80s more than any other are David Lee Roth-era Van Halen and Oingo Boingo.

Check for new replies or respond here...