inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Lionel Richie solo: more 70s or 80s?

Written By: Marty McFly on 03/05/06 at 1:31 am

I was just watching a few of his music videos circa 1983/84 from a old VHS release I found used some time back. While there's clearly alot of "80s" influence in his sound (i.e. synthesizers and keyboards, flashy videos), he has a certain "70s" look, especially that afro. :D

Also, would you agree "All Night Long" has a vague disco dancefloor feel to it?

Subject: Re: Lionel Richie solo: more 70s or 80s?

Written By: ADH13 on 03/05/06 at 1:38 am

Yeah, I believe All Night Long was from 1983... so it would kinda make sense that there'd be a bit of a disco feel to it... 1983 was still kind of disco-ish.  Some other examples would be "Promises, Promises" by Naked Eyes, "Let The Music Play" by Shannon, and "Holiday" by Madonna.  Plus Lionel Richie was with The Commodores in the 70's, and although I personally consider stuff like "Brick House" to be funk, I've seen that song several times on disco compilation CD's, so I suppose that might have something to do with his disco sound.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 03/05/06 at 1:39 am

"Brick House" is definitely funk.

I liked him in the 80s.

Written By: whistledog on 03/05/06 at 1:46 am

He most definately still had that whole 70's look going on with the 'fro :D

In the very early 80's, he still had that 70's sound going with his 1982 "self-titled" debut as well as the Commodores 1981 LP "In the Pocket". It was like a mix of funk/pop ballads of the late 70's.  I guess he was still riding on those pre-MTV pop songs that existed in the days when Radio was the only way to get your music out there.

Written By: Marty McFly on 03/05/06 at 1:53 am

[quote author=whis

Written By: Marty McFly on 03/05/06 at 1:54 am

Yeah, I believe All Night Long was from 1983... so it would kinda make sense that there'd be a bit of a disco feel to it... 1983 was still kind of disco-ish.  Some other examples would be "Promises, Promises" by Naked Eyes, "Let The Music Play" by Shannon, and "Holiday" by Madonna.   Plus Lionel Richie was with The Commodores in the 70's, and although I personally consider stuff like "Brick House" to be funk, I've seen that song several times on disco compilation CD's, so I suppose that might have something to do with his disco sound.

You know, it's funny but Madonna was pretty Disco influenced (new wave/dance Disco, but still Disco), though no one at the time would've admitted it. ;D

Written By: whistledog on 03/05/06 at 2:24 pm

You know, it's funny but Madonna was pretty Disco influenced (new wave/dance Disco, but still Disco), though no one at the time would've admitted it. ;D

Madonna actually started in Disco.  She sang back up on the 1979 Patrick Hernandez hit "Born to Be Alive" :)

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/05/06 at 3:08 pm

Madonna and most other early-mid '80s dance pop had some new-wave/dance disco influence, though, as you said, they would be loathe to admit it  :) . She lost them for totally gospel, soul, hip-hop, and Motown influences by 1986 or so.

Written By: Mushroom on 03/05/06 at 4:54 pm

As a solo act, he is definately 80's.

One of his biggest hits was "All Night Long".  That is very much a New Wave inspired dance song, and other then the chanting in the middle, sounds like it could have come from half a dozen different New Wave groups or artists.

My favorite rendition of it has to be the closing ceremonies of the 1984 LA Olympics.  I remember he got onto a stage in the middle of a huge stage, with like a hundred kids, all breakdancing all over the place.  He must have gone on for 30-45 minutes.

Written By: zcrito on 03/05/06 at 8:54 pm

I never thought Lionel Richie without The Commodores was worth listening to. His songs in the '80s I could have done without...but The Commodores did have one of their best songs with him in the '80s with "Lady (You Bring Me Up)".
:)

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/05/06 at 9:10 pm

A '70s persona with '80s production :)

Written By: lleelee on 03/05/06 at 9:21 pm

Definitely more 80s than 70s after 1985. "Dancing on the Ceiling" very 80s record. My favorite was " Say You Say Me"?  I dont remember the movie too well.  "White Nights"

Check for new replies or respond here...