inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 80's music video experts... can you help me???

Written By: Lee22 on 03/06/06 at 1:52 pm

Hello.... I'm hoping someone will be able to answer some ?'s I have regarding some 80's videos.  When I was younger, my dad had some tapes full of music videos.  They accidentally got taped over long ago and for his brithday, I'm trying to make a CD for him with all the songs from the tapes. I actually remember a great deal, but as I was only 7 or 8 when we used to watch them, there's a couple things I need help with!
First of all, there was a Cyndi Lauper video but I can't remember which of her songs it was.  I can only remember her being lifted up in a garbage can. 
There was also another video, female artist, slower song I believe. My dad thinks it might be Sheena Easton.  It was darker in colour, I think you saw rain through a window, and there was a lamp that smashed to the ground in slow motion. 
Finally, there was a video that I remember being reddish in colour and it had a waiter who got up on a chair and tipped it to the ground while standing on it with a tray of drinks in his hand.  The chorus had something about a city in it (in the heart of the city?) and was pretty up-tempo.  My dad couldn't remember the name of the band but said they were a one-hit wonder.
I realize some of this is pretty vague but it's all I've got! Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!
One more thing... at the beginning of the Sleeping Bag video by ZZ Top, there's an old woman rocking on a porch and she's listing groups of 3 (3 wise men, blind mine, etc).  Does anyone know exactly what she says?? (all the groups and their order?)
Again, I would be sincerely grateful for any of this info!! Thanks in advance for any help!!

Subject: Re: 80's music video experts... can you help me???

Written By: Schillingfan on 03/06/06 at 5:50 pm

Hello.... I'm hoping someone will be able to answer some ?'s I have regarding some 80's videos.  When I was younger, my dad had some tapes full of music videos.  They accidentally got taped over long ago and for his brithday, I'm trying to make a CD for him with all the songs from the tapes. I actually remember a great deal, but as I was only 7 or 8 when we used to watch them, there's a couple things I need help with!
First of all, there was a Cyndi Lauper video but I can't remember which of her songs it was.  I can only remember her being lifted up in a garbage can. 
There was also another video, female artist, slower song I believe. My dad thinks it might be Sheena Easton.  It was darker in colour, I think you saw rain through a window, and there was a lamp that smashed to the ground in slow motion. 
Finally, there was a video that I remember being reddish in colour and it had a waiter who got up on a chair and tipped it to the ground while standing on it with a tray of drinks in his hand.  The chorus had something about a city in it (in the heart of the city?) and was pretty up-tempo.  My dad couldn't remember the name of the band but said they were a one-hit wonder.
I realize some of this is pretty vague but it's all I've got! Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!
One more thing... at the beginning of the Sleeping Bag video by ZZ Top, there's an old woman rocking on a porch and she's listing groups of 3 (3 wise men, blind mine, etc).  Does anyone know exactly what she says?? (all the groups and their order?)
Again, I would be sincerely grateful for any of this info!! Thanks in advance for any help!!

try http://www.youtube.com/

they have sheena easton and cyndi lauper videos there, I though it might be helpful to you

For the ZZ top video, the old lady says

1. Three blind mice
2. The three stooges
3. Three wiseman
4. Three mayors
5. The old woman might have said "Three musketeers"

Written By: mrgazpacho on 03/11/06 at 11:16 am

For some reason that reminds me of the song We Built This City by Starship although I wouldn't exactly call them one-hit wonders...

Written By: whistledog on 03/11/06 at 11:54 am

Finally, there was a video that I remember being reddish in colour and it had a waiter who got up on a chair and tipped it to the ground while standing on it with a tray of drinks in his hand.  The chorus had something about a city in it (in the heart of the city?) and was pretty up-tempo. 

Never saw the video and i'm not sure if this is it, but there was a band from Canada called The Arrows who had a popular 1985 hit called "Heart of the City"

"In the heart of the city, in the heat of the night, things get electric..."

Written By: Tracey on 03/12/06 at 9:47 pm

The Cyndi Lauper video you are seeking is 'Money Changes Everything' which was a live performance video. It's available on her 12 Deadly Cyns DVD.

Written By: rare80s on 03/12/06 at 10:31 pm

For some reason that reminds me of the song We Built This City by Starship although I wouldn't exactly call them one-hit wonders...

>>>Yes, that song or it could be the song "Hot in the City" by Billy Idol.

Written By: scazzum on 03/13/06 at 5:18 am

Nick Lowe had a great song called "Heart of The City" but I don't know if there was a video for it.

Check for new replies or respond here...