inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Dispute between 'Ghostbusters' and 'I Want A New Drug' songs

Written By: Carl on 03/07/06 at 8:12 am

I don't know which side started it, or if it was just a rumor, but I heard there was some dispute that one side stole the others music.

I mean heck, I know what song is which when these come on! It's easy to tell them apart,even though the bass sound may be somewhat indentical in both. Anyone else recall this?

Subject: Re: Dispute between 'Ghostbusters' and 'I Want A New Drug' songs

Written By: Tanya1976 on 03/07/06 at 9:12 am

Yes, I remember and it was settled, I believe.

Subject: Re: Dispute between 'Ghostbusters' and 'I Want A New Drug' songs

Written By: Windbreaker05 on 03/07/06 at 5:23 pm

I don't know which side started it, or if it was just a rumor, but I heard there was some dispute that one side stole the others music.

I mean heck, I know what song is which when these come on! It's easy to tell them apart,even though the bass sound may be somewhat indentical in both. Anyone else recall this?

Yes. It was just a case of plagiarism. "Ghostbusters" took from "I Want a New Drug" without giving credit where it was due. It's not a case of forming an indistinguishable song, but still, it's taking an element from one and claiming that it's your own. That's the same reason there was the "Ice Ice Baby" / "Under Pressure" controversy and the "My Sweet Lord" / "He's So Fine" controversy and the rest of those.

Check for new replies or respond here...