inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Some musings on "Just Can't Get Enough"

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/07/06 at 12:10 pm

This song seems like the New Romantic anthem.  Almost sounds like a Thompson Twins song.

Doesn't it almost sound like a gay song?  "And like a rainbow, you know you set me free".

Subject: Re: Some musings on "Just Can't Get Enough"

Written By: gmann on 03/07/06 at 1:08 pm

This song seems like the New Romantic anthem.  Almost sounds like a Thompson Twins song.

Doesn't it almost sound like a gay song?  "And like a rainbow, you know you set me free".

You mean the Depeche Mode tune? That was from the Vince Clarke era of DM. Clarke seemed to prefer much more upbeat melodies and lyrical content....quite a contrast when compared to most of their later works. 

Donnie, I think you're searching for something that isn't there...but I've been wrong before.  :)

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/07/06 at 1:09 pm

You mean the Depeche Mode tune? That was from the Vince Clarke era of DM. Clarke seemed to prefer much more upbeat melodies and lyrical content....quite a contrast when compared to most of their later works. 

Donnie, I think you're searching for something that isn't there...but I've been wrong before.  :)

Okay Talking Head :)

Didn't Vince Clarke go on to do something else?

Written By: whistledog on 03/07/06 at 1:11 pm

Okay Talking Head :)

Didn't Vince Clarke go on to do something else?

He had hits with two hands (The Assembly / Yazoo) before forming Erasure, to which he has been since 1985

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/07/06 at 1:16 pm

Is Just Can't Get Enough gay though?

Written By: whistledog on 03/07/06 at 1:24 pm

no

Written By: gmann on 03/07/06 at 1:52 pm

[quote author=whis

Written By: gmann on 03/07/06 at 2:07 pm

It's just my opinion, but I would say no. I *do* know that DM suffered through many an insult from die-hard rock fans and music critics when they first came to the US in the early 80s. Having short hair and playing synthesizers instead of screaming guitars did not compute for your average music fan. I think the "Behind the Music" episode on DM explains it quite well.

In an interview, Elvis Costello said he and The Attraction experienced similar culture shock when touring in the Deep South in the late 70s. He thought it was funny they were called "fags" for looking like squares, when their detractors were the ones with the long hair.  :) It probably sounds like a trivial matter now, but this was before MTV and when music genres were more clearly defined by sound and style.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/07/06 at 2:10 pm

It's just my opinion, but I would say no. I *do* know that DM suffered through many an insult from die-hard rock fans and music critics when they first came to the US in the early 80s. Having short hair and playing synthesizers instead of screaming guitars did not compute for your average music fan. I think the "Behind the Music" episode on DM explains it quite well.

In an interview, Elvis Costello said he and The Attraction experienced similar culture shock when touring in the Deep South in the late 70s. He thought it was funny they were called "fags" for looking like squares, when their detractors were the ones with the long hair.  :) It probably sounds like a trivial matter now, but this was before MTV and when music genres were more clearly defined by sound and style.

Interesting.

Would you call DM nerds?

Written By: gmann on 03/07/06 at 3:01 pm

Interesting.

Would you call DM nerds?

Well...now that you mention it, they *did* look kinda nerdy during the "Speak and Spell" days. Does someone have Dave Gahan's number? We need to ask him about this...

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/07/06 at 3:02 pm

Well...now that you mention it, they *did* look kinda nerdy during the "Speak and Spell" days. Does someone have Dave Gahan's number? We need to ask him about this...

Well, by 1989ish they became these bad-ass hipsters.  By 1993 Gahan was pratically f***ing his acoustic guitar, so at that point they probably weren't nerds.  ;D

Written By: pumbaaj on 03/13/06 at 12:47 pm

This song was covered a few years ago by a beefy blonde British guy named David Walters.  He spends the entire video shirtless and flexing his muscles.  The gay press said that he got his start as a stripper in gay bars.

Check for new replies or respond here...