inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Good Books set in the '80s?

Written By: Tommy Vercetti on 03/07/06 at 11:57 pm

Does anyone know of any good books set in the 1980's?

I'm not looking for a book that tries to give an overview of the entire decade or anything.  But I'd like to read some books (preferably autobiographies) about people who grew up in the '80s, were really successful in the '80s, etc.

Basically, I'm just looking for good stories that mainly take place in the '80s and give a good look at the culture of the time.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Subject: Re: Good Books set in the '80s?

Written By: Trimac20 on 03/08/06 at 12:47 am

Try the auto-biographies like bands like Duran Duran, INXS, Tears for Fears, solo artists like Madonna, Bon Jovi, Michael Jackson.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 03/08/06 at 1:07 am

I read one book called "The Emerson High Vigilantes" and it was pretty good! I think that took place circa 1984.

Written By: Satish on 03/08/06 at 6:04 pm

Of course, Bonfire of the Vanities by Tom Wolfe is probably the quintessential 80s novel.

Written By: Kazzye on 02/20/11 at 10:16 am

I'm looking for similar books.  Have you tried Andrew Collins "God Knows I'm miserable now" and there's another, not sure which comes first, but they are quite funny.

Check for new replies or respond here...