inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: POLICE ACADEMY OR REVENGE OF NERDS...

Written By: lleelee on 03/08/06 at 8:24 pm

Of course Hollywood did put some great comedies in the 80s. In 1984 there were two movies released that year.  Police Academy starring Steve Gutttenberg was the "Airplane" of the police force. Revenge of the Nerds was a watered down version of "Animal House".  I've been debating with my co-workers on which movie was funnier. I would go with Police Academy.  Micheal Winslow (the sound effects guy) Huckleberry, Hightower and the Commadant. Revenge of the Nerds starred Robert Carradine Curtis Armstrong and Anthony Edwards. There were funny moments but  Police Academy had more gags.  What movie would you pick ;)

S. Another celebrity crush Steve Guttenberg

Subject: Re: POLICE ACADEMY OR REVENGE OF NERDS...

Written By: kellygoo72 on 03/16/06 at 1:09 am

Revenge of the Nerds... NERDS RULE!!!  LOL ;)

Written By: whistledog on 03/16/06 at 1:13 am

I love Police Academy.  With the exception of "Mission to Moscow", they were all great :)

Last year, I bought the Police Academy DVD Box Set at Zellers for $29.99 (that works out to roughly $4.28 per DVD) :o

Written By: kellygoo72 on 03/16/06 at 1:20 am

Wow, cool deal... police acad was funny but I loved the Nrd movies.. they are so super cheese

Written By: whistledog on 03/16/06 at 1:23 am

Wow, cool deal... police acad was funny but I loved the Nrd movies.. they are so super cheese

The Nerd movies were quite cheesy.  They always crack me up ;D

Here's some trivia...  Only the first two went to the theatres.  Revenge of the Nerds III: Nerd Generation and Revenge of the Nerds IV: Nerds in Love were made 4 TV movies :)

Written By: kellygoo72 on 03/16/06 at 1:25 am

U know, I did know about the 3rd Nerd Movie but the 4th one?  I may have seen it but dont remember.. I see the guy who played the main nerd was the dad of the Lizzy McGuire show....

Written By: whistledog on 03/16/06 at 1:29 am

U know, I did know about the 3rd Nerd Movie but the 4th one?  I may have seen it but dont remember.. I see the guy who played the main nerd was the dad of the Lizzy McGuire show....

He was on Lizzie yes.

His name is Robert Carradine.  He is the son of the late John Carradine, the half-brother of David Carradine (Kung-Fu) and the brother of Keith Carradine (Deadwood)

Written By: Webstor on 03/16/06 at 6:50 am

I liked Police Academy 1-4 with Guttenberg as Mahoney.....
5-7 were pretty terrible

Revenge of the Nerds 1 and 2 were good
They pushed the envelope with 3-4.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 03/16/06 at 7:39 am

Not a big fan of the Police Academy series, so I'm going with Revenge of The Nerds.

Written By: KKay on 03/16/06 at 8:39 am

Clap you hands, everybody, and everybody clap your hands....

oh oh oh  I soooo Loooooove Revenge of the Nerds.
I want to watch it right now.

Now I"m inspired to go find images and quotes and websites....thanks for giving me something to do besides work!

Written By: TheRemf on 03/16/06 at 12:17 pm

Oh, Revenge of the Nerds!!  Definitely!!

Written By: Tia on 03/16/06 at 12:19 pm

revenge of the nerds.

Written By: gmann on 03/16/06 at 12:21 pm

The "Police Academy" series has my vote. "Revenge of the Nerds" had its moments, but reminded me a little too much of my school days...and not in a good way. In a way, it's rather like how "Freaks and Geeks" was received by some. 

Written By: Tia on 03/16/06 at 12:23 pm

The "Police Academy" series has my vote. "Revenge of the Nerds" had its moments, but reminded me a little too much of my school days...and not in a good way. In a way, it's rather like how "Freaks and Geeks" was received by some. 
i LOVE freaks and geeks, but yeah, i saw it with some friends who are rather geeky and they said it hit home a little too hard for them. having been on both the freak and geek side of the fence i could really relate to that show.

was leslie nielson in police academy? i forget.

Written By: gmann on 03/16/06 at 2:08 pm

i LOVE freaks and geeks, but yeah, i saw it with some friends who are rather geeky and they said it hit home a little too hard for them. having been on both the freak and geek side of the fence i could really relate to that show.

...which backs up my belief that nostalgia is usually based more on how we'd *like* to remember the old days, as opposed to how it really was. It must be human nature for people to gloss over the most negative elements of their lives. some things just aren't worth keeping in our memory banks. As bad as some portions of my school days were, I usually look back fondly on life before responsibility.Yechhh...I'm getting all soft over nothing. I hate that.

was leslie nielson in police academy? i forget.

Unless early dementia is setting in, Nielsen was in the Zucker brothers-produced "Police Squad!" TV series, which spawned the "Naked Gun" movies. 

Written By: Tanya1976 on 03/16/06 at 4:11 pm

Police Academy

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 03/20/06 at 6:52 pm

If I had to pick just one movie, I'd have to go with Revenge of the Nerds, but only the first one. Definitely a classic, and one of these days I'll have to show it to my teenage niece and nephews, just to corrupt them. The sequels were unnecessary, however, and got progressively tamer and tamer. The original was a classic raunchy 80's teen sex comedy in the spirit of Porky's, and once they decided to go PG-13 with the sequels it mostly ruined it.

If I had to go with the stronger series, I'd have to say Police Academy. There were so many great moments in those movies (the best ones involving some prank that they'd pull on the a$$hole captain and his buttkisser).

Written By: Watcher29 on 03/21/06 at 9:11 am

Ogre Voice: "Neerrrrrrrrrrrds."

Written By: nina on 03/27/06 at 7:24 pm

Steve Guttenberg was pretty cute, especially in three men and a baby, but I have to go with Revenge of the Nerds. Yeah it was Animal House worthy, but I think that at the end of the movie, when everyone stands up whose every been picked on or beaten down, and they play we are the champions, it just had a great though unrealistic ending. It was a feel good ending. Wasn't the father in that movie James Cromwell, Babe's owner?

Written By: JohnTaylorsHeart on 03/28/06 at 5:58 am

POLICE ACADEMY

Written By: La Roche on 03/28/06 at 8:46 am

[quote author=whis

Subject: POLICE ACADEMY OR REVENGE OF NERDS...

Written By: Dude111 on 02/21/18 at 6:24 am

I love Police Academy.  With the exception of "Mission to Moscow", they were all great :)

I only like the first one really...... All the rest are not as good.........

Written By: Howard on 02/21/18 at 2:34 pm

Revenge Of The Nerds

Check for new replies or respond here...