inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What 80s stars used to be in a 70s group?

Written By: Carl on 03/09/06 at 9:34 am

A lot solo acts and groups formed off previous bands they played in, can anyone give an example of a few?

KC had a hit in '83 with 'Give it up' I recall. Then, he didn't have the Sunshine Band with him, he was just known as KC.

Subject: Re: What 80s stars used to be in a 70s group?

Written By: robby76 on 03/09/06 at 9:53 am

Michael McDonald was in the Doobie Brothers (love Mr McDonald)!!!

Kenny Loggins used to be in a duo me thinks.

Phil Collins / Peter Gabriel in the Genesis.

Written By: karen on 03/09/06 at 10:49 am

A lot solo acts and groups formed off previous bands they played in, can anyone give an example of a few?

KC had a hit in '83 with 'Give it up' I recall. Then, he didn't have the Sunshine Band with him, he was just known as KC.

Sure about this?  It was released as by KC and the Sunshine Band in the UK I'm fairly certain.

Written By: Carl on 03/09/06 at 11:22 am

Sure about this?  It was released as by KC and the Sunshine Band in the UK I'm fairly certain.

Hmm!  ??? Well, on the video for this it just said KC, maybe in the UK they still called it 'KC & The Sunshine Band'

Written By: whistledog on 03/09/06 at 11:57 am

Kenny Loggins used to be in a duo me thinks.

Loggins and Messina :)

Country singer Dan Seals used to be England Dan Seals with John Ford Coley

Steve Winwood used to be with Traffic and Blind Faith (as well as Spencer Davis Group in the 60s)

Robert Plant with Led Zeppelin

"Give it Up" (and the album "All in a Nights Work") were not released in America, so KC released the song as a solo single which appears on the album "KC Ten"

Written By: gmann on 03/09/06 at 1:33 pm

John Waite was in the The Babys before he went solo.

Written By: Carl on 03/09/06 at 1:35 pm

Frieda Lynstad (I know there's something going on) was in ABBA. How can I have overlooked that!

Written By: stingr22 on 03/09/06 at 11:32 pm

Don Henley, Joe Walsh, Randy Meisner, and Glenn Frey all had successful solo careers in the 80s and broke off of the 70s supergroup, the Eagles.

John Fogerty had a few hits in the 80s, but will be mostly remembered from Creedence Clearwater Revival in the late 60s/early 70s.

Lionel Richie was originally with the Commodores in the 70s.

Michael Jackson and Jermaine Jackson had solo careers in the 80s after spending the 70s singing with the Jackson 5.

Written By: whistledog on 03/09/06 at 11:46 pm

Don Henley, Joe Walsh, Randy Meisner, and Glenn Frey all had successful solo careers in the 80s and broke off of the 70s supergroup, the Eagles.

also Timothy B. Schmidt.  He wasn't a big solo star in the 80's, though he did have a 1987 top 40 hit with "Boys Night Out" :)

Written By: whistledog on 03/10/06 at 12:01 am

a few more ...

Bryan Adams was in the 70's glam rock band Sweeney Tod

Stevie Nicks, Lindsey Buckingham and Christine McVie of Fleetwood Mac all had popular solo hits in the 80's (Fleetwood Mac originally called it quits in 1982, but re-united in 1987)

Joan Jett and Lita Ford of The Runaways had lots of solo success in the 80's

Peter Cetera left Chicago in 1984 for a successful solo career

Dan Peek left the popular group America in 1977 to become a born again Christian and would release several successful contemporary Christian albums in the 80's

Roger Hodgson left Supertramp in 1983 for a solo career.  He scored a popular 1984 hit called "Had A Dream (Sleeping With the Enemy)"

Written By: stingr22 on 03/10/06 at 12:09 am

[quote author=whis

Written By: whistledog on 03/10/06 at 12:13 am

Good call!  I thought of him but I couldn't remember what he did solo.  Nice save!   8)

8)

The remaining Eagle Don Felder also went onto a solo career in the 80's, but his only hit was a near top 40 hit with the title track to the 1981 animated film "Heavy Metal"

Written By: Paul on 03/10/06 at 6:52 am

Hmm!  ??? Well, on the video for this it just said KC, maybe in the UK they still called it 'KC & The Sunshine Band'

Yes he was still billed as that on our release...

Presumably because no-one here would have known who 'KC' was!

In actual fact, that record first broke in Ireland (of all places!)

Written By: gmann on 03/10/06 at 7:28 am

Paul Carrack had some solo success in the 80s after time as the vocalist for Ace and briefly, Squeeze.

Written By: Max Headroom on 03/10/06 at 9:24 am

Billy Idol was in Generation X

Brian Ferry was in Roxy Music

David Johansen was in the New York Dolls

Lindsey Buckingham was in Fleetwood Mac

Iggy Pop was in the Stooges

Written By: airsupplyairhead on 03/30/06 at 12:56 pm

Lionel Richie.

Check for new replies or respond here...