inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Prince

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/17/06 at 2:50 pm

I've just gotten into Prince. Any comments on him or what albums I should get?

Subject: Re: Prince

Written By: Satish on 03/17/06 at 8:27 pm

I totally love Prince. I've said before that I think he's probably the greatest musical genius of the past 100 years. He crossed so many genres, from rock to pop to funk, and he did so many different types of songs, from slow ballads to up-tempo dance tunes. And on top of that, he's got a great singing voice!

His most famous album by far is definitely 1984's Purple Rain. I'd say that Purple Rain, along with 1982's 1999 and 1987's Sign O' the Times, are usually thought of as his three biggest albums.

Prince was an extremely prolific artist during the 80s, releasing an album in just about every year of that decade. He liked to experiment quite a bit, so some of those albums are considered less than stellar. But you gotta give him credit for taking chances!

There's quite a few stand-out tracks apart from his three big albums that I mentioned, such as:

"Raspberry Beret" from 1985's Around the World In a Day
"Kiss" from 1986's Parade
"The Most Beautiful Girl in the World" from 1994

And of course, if you just want a retrospective of his work, you can get his two greatest hits CD's from 1993, The Hits 1 and The Hits 2.

Written By: whistledog on 03/17/06 at 8:30 pm

I was never much of a Prince fan, but I did like his 1999 album that came out in 1982.  His best work I thought was in 1991 with the Diamonds and Pearls album and the fantastic song "Cream" :)

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/18/06 at 3:10 pm

Some of my favorite Prince songs:

"Little Red Corvette"
"1999"
"Controversy"
"Head"
"Le Grind"
"When Doves Cry
"Kiss"
"Let's Go Crazy"
"I Would Die 4 U"
"Let's Pretend We're Married"
"All the Critics Love U in New York"
"DMSR"
"Pop Life"
"Delirious"
"If I Was Your Girlfriend"
"I Wanna Be Your Lover"
"Dirty Mind"
"Jack U Off"

I think Prince remains one of the few '80s artists who alot of younger Gen Yers born say in 1988 refuse to embrace or remain having qualms about, because he's so outlandish. But when you listen to him, he's along with Madonna the most truly revolutionary '80s artist. His genre-blending and use of beat and instrumentation, as well as truly explicit sexuality, basically created the direction popular music has been going in since then, along with Madonna and maybe MJ.

Check for new replies or respond here...