inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: People who still wear 80s/v.early 90s fashion?

Written By: Trimac20 on 03/17/06 at 9:38 pm

Do you still see alot of them around? It's not as common as before, but I see the odd Gen-Xes (Gen-Xes are always the culprits.etc), wearing tight denim shorts, bright Duran Duran T-shirts, skirts with pants.etc (thankfully not overalls). Bouffant hair and mullets are rare but not altogether extinct as well.

Subject: Re: People who still wear 80s/v.early 90s fashion?

Written By: whistledog on 03/17/06 at 9:46 pm

I have a Colorado Rockies Vintage NHL Jersey.  'bout the only thing 80's type clothing I wear

Written By: Chris MegatronTHX on 03/17/06 at 11:49 pm

Do you still see alot of them around? It's not as common as before, but I see the odd Gen-Xes (Gen-Xes are always the culprits.etc), wearing tight denim shorts, bright Duran Duran T-shirts, skirts with pants.etc (thankfully not overalls). Bouffant hair and mullets are rare but not altogether extinct as well.

Are you sure about that?  I never see anyone still dressing 80s or early 90s.  I do see some older Gen Xers (like someone today born around 1967 and age 38 or 39) walking around with an 80s hairstyle.  And this is something I don't understand, the people still holding onto grossly outdated hairstyles.  I know a guy who is about 45 or 46 that still walks around wearing this 70s hairstyle, people at work laugh behind his back and call him "Chachi" because his haircut looks like what Scott Baio (who played Chachi) wore on Happy Days back in the 1970s.

And I know one woman who is about 38, she's pretty hot actually, blonde hair blue eyes and she still has that curly wet hair look (I don't know what else to call it) that was popular with girls in the late 80s.  It actually looks good on her since she's so fit and beautiful.  But to actually still dress 80s is reprehensible.

EDIT: Oh wait!  I just remembered my brother-in-law.  My older sisters husband just turned 40 actually (he was born in 1966) and he walks around with penny loafers with no sox, and some tight faded jeans.  He always wears Aviator shades too, OK so Aviators are sorta coming back into style but he sure doesn't know that.  He was wearing his Aviators in 2000 when they were relics from the past, not retro fashion statements.  A friend of mine and I jokingly call him "1986" because he looks like what is cool in 1986.  Yeah I know it's strange that an avid 80s lover like me would seemingly put him down by calling him 80s, I grew up back then.  But I think it's pretty bad to hold onto fashions and hairstyles from the past.  I love the era I grew up in, but I don't want to stay stuck back there forever and ever.  I like to stay current.   

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/18/06 at 12:06 am

I know a lot of people who thrive in wearing vintage clothing from the 80's/90's...as I sell a lot of it on Ebay.  People really like wearing vintage band/tour t-shirts, vintage sports/team logo shirts, vintage Izod Lacoste shirts...etc..

Written By: Chris MegatronTHX on 03/18/06 at 1:22 am

^That is true, but I think there is a difference in purposefully trying to be retro cool, and the people that are just flat out ignorantly out of date.  They're not trying to be retro, they are just fashion disasters and people snicker behind their backs for wearing some 70s haircut or 80s fashion.  That might be mean but I do think there is a difference.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/18/06 at 1:29 am

^That is true, but I think there is a difference in purposefully trying to be retro cool, and the people that are just flat out ignorantly out of date.  They're not trying to be retro, they are just fashion disasters and people snicker behind their backs for wearing some 70s haircut or 80s fashion.  That might be mean but I do think there is a difference.

you are correct.  Sometimes it can look okay, but othertimes it just looks really out of place.  Today I was driving down the road and I noticed 2 guys walking uptown...and the one looked like he totally stepped out of the 80's....he had the feathered hair, his clothes were dated....but, he really looked pretty good...it was kind of refreshing seeing him...for some reason.

Written By: ADH13 on 03/18/06 at 1:45 am

As a matter of fact, I do.  I find today's fashion just as bad as today's music, and there is no way I'm going to dress in clothes I despise just to be "current".  Although most of my clothes are pretty much classic (plain colored turtle-necks, cable knit sweaters, etc) I do wear tapered leg jeans and stretch jeans... I can't stand flare leg...

But I don't wear any extreme 80's stuff, other than the jeans... I don't wear fluorescent green tops, or anything like that...

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/18/06 at 1:47 am

As a matter of fact, I do.  I find today's fashion just as bad as today's music, and there is no way I'm going to dress in clothes I despise just to be "current".   Although most of my clothes are pretty much classic (plain colored turtle-necks, cable knit sweaters, etc) I do wear tapered leg jeans and stretch jeans... I can't stand flare leg...

But I don't wear any extreme 80's stuff, other than the jeans... I don't wear fluorescent green tops, or anything like that...

WHAT?  no fringe jackets, no feathered earrings, no leg warmers!!?? ;D ;)

Written By: ADH13 on 03/18/06 at 2:03 am

LOL I actually never wore fringe jackets or feathered earrings... I wore leg warmers, but mainly because I was walking to the school bus stop in the snow and it kept my legs warm!!  If I still had to walk in the snow, I wouldn't have a problem wearing them now.

Written By: Marty McFly on 03/18/06 at 3:37 am

I'll admit I do at times, dress slightly retro. In fact, probably now more than back when I was a 10 year old kid in 1992 and could've really done it. Although I only tend to wear stuff on the "milder" side - jean and leather jackets, colored plaid shirts over a T-shirt (although that's somewhat timeless) or just bright colors in general, that could fit in with Miami Vice.

Ya know, things that were cool then, but also relatively common, so it's not like they'd stand out today, to where people in a crowd might point and go, "D*mn, that dude looks like he came out of 1987!" ;)

Written By: Marty McFly on 03/18/06 at 3:53 am

LOL I actually never wore fringe jackets or feathered earrings... I wore leg warmers, but mainly because I was walking to the school bus stop in the snow and it kept my legs warm!!  If I still had to walk in the snow, I wouldn't have a problem wearing them now.

Hey, if it helps, *I* sort of do this now and have for awhile. If it's cold enough outside, I'll sometimes put sweatpants on under whatever pair I'm wearing that day.

It wasn't a concious decision on my part, but one morning in 9th grade I decided to try it. I live close enough to school to have walked it everyday (a little over a mile). Well, if you factor in that it was the middle of January, with me being one of the hardest people to get moving in the morning sometimes, let's just say it could be pretty dang uncomfortable. So my insulation idea helped at least a little. ;)

Written By: Marty McFly on 03/18/06 at 3:57 am

And I know one woman who is about 38, she's pretty hot actually, blonde hair blue eyes and she still has that curly wet hair look (I don't know what else to call it) that was popular with girls in the late 80s.  It actually looks good on her since she's so fit and beautiful.  But to actually still dress 80s is reprehensible. 

Do you mean like Elizabeth Shue's Jennifer had in BTTF 2 and 3? That's the best I can think off the top of my head, but I know what you're referring to. Yeah, I always sort of thought that was hot.

Written By: Trimac20 on 03/18/06 at 5:43 am

I'll admit I do at times, dress slightly retro. In fact, probably now more than back when I was a 10 year old kid in 1992 and could've really done it. Although I only tend to wear stuff on the "milder" side - jean and leather jackets, colored plaid shirts over a T-shirt (although that's somewhat timeless) or just bright colors in general, that could fit in with Miami Vice.

Ya know, things that were cool then, but also relatively common, so it's not like they'd stand out today, to where people in a crowd might point and go, "D*mn, that dude looks like he came out of 1987!" ;)

Leather jackets are cool, but they kind of make you stand out (you know, that certain image). Wish I was as brave as you.  :D lol

Written By: kairi747 on 03/18/06 at 1:57 pm

hey!  feather earrings came back last spring (and no, i didn't get any!)  oh yeah, and leg warmers, too!  i actually did buy a pair of leg warmers two winters ago!  i wear mismatched earrings (two matching earring on one side and the rest studs or hoops.  we did this in the 80's.  i also started wearing the same color nail polish on all but my pinky nails - a different color goes there.  this was never a trend, as far as i know of, but it was something i did in the 80's.  i haven't gone so far as to put on my parachute pants yet, but i'm thinking about it!  :D

Written By: Chris MegatronTHX on 03/18/06 at 4:20 pm

Do you mean like Elizabeth Shue's Jennifer had in BTTF 2 and 3? That's the best I can think off the top of my head, but I know what you're referring to. Yeah, I always sort of thought that was hot.

No not quite her hairstyle, I can't think of an example, if I do I'll post an example.  But this woman has an out of date hairstyle, it was VERY popular with girls in the late 80s.  But she pulls it off and gets away with it, probably because she is so beautiful.  You know she is wearing a dated hairstyle, but it looks good on her.  I like looking at her hair too, it's very nostalgic.  I've run into several people that can't let go of a certain hairstyle from the 70s or 80s, especially if it was popular when they were in the 17-25 age range.  Some people can get away with it, many many others can't.

Written By: Trimac20 on 03/18/06 at 8:20 pm

If what you want to wear a particular style.etc then go for it. Fashion's are fickle, don't get knocked about by the waves on the surface, but rise above them.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/27/06 at 11:43 am

I actually think in some ways '80s fashion is better than the fashion of the zeroes.  I'd say today's common fashion is better-looking and more tasteful than that of the '80s, but the most outrageous things from the '80s and the most outrageous styles from the '90s and '00s kind of are a draw.  For instance, I find a nose piercing to be much more repulsive than a turned-up collar.

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/27/06 at 12:19 pm

I actually think in some ways '80s fashion is better than the fashion of the zeroes.  I'd say today's common fashion is better-looking and more tasteful than that of the '80s, but the most outrageous things from the '80s and the most outrageous styles from the '90s and '00s kind of are a draw.  For instance, I find a nose piercing to be much more repulsive than a turned-up collar.

I'm honestly sick and tired of all these preppie bastards this decade and their popped IZOD collar shirts.

Written By: Erick on 03/27/06 at 4:15 pm

I was born in 1988 and I wear a leather jacket, jeans, and metal band shirts. I also have the white reebok high tops from 86. I have some band shirts from that time too. I have a megadeth peace sells... but who's buying? fanclub shirt from 86, I have a megadeth tour shirt 86-87, a megadeth rust in peace shirt from 90, a sepultura schizophrenia shirt from 90, a exodus shirt from 89, and a rigor mortis shirt from 88. I also have other shirts that are made today but are 80s bands. I really love metal during that time. I am not talking about glam cause that isn't metal. I get alot of stares cause I stand out alot but I love the way I dress.

THRASH TILL' DEATH!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;D

Written By: stingr22 on 03/27/06 at 11:13 pm

There are two types of people who wear 80s fashions.  There is the younger crowd that might wear a retro concert t-shirt:  I have seen The Cars, Bon Jovi, The Clash, The Police, M

Written By: Watcher29 on 03/28/06 at 7:33 am

I probably dress much the same now as I did then. Usually jeans and a sweatshirt. I will admit the jeans aren't as tight, usually they are what I have heard called "carpenter pants" or cargo pants. But other than that, my hair and clothes are much like they were in the 80s. (Well, OK, I have *less* hair now.)

Written By: Criz on 03/28/06 at 2:50 pm

Well I'd agree that there are two types of people who wear 80s stuff. I;d have to say I belong to the first category...although there were A LOT of fashion 'no no's' in the 1980s, some of the simple classics live on in my wardrobe.

For example, I've been wearing footless tights for many years. Also, I own chunky long beads,  a ra-ra skirt, leg-warmers, slogan t-shirts, off-the-shoulder tops, ballerina flats and dranepipe jeans (although these are technically from the 70s - real retro jeans from a family member that now fit me!).

The way to work these items is to generally be able to contrast them with something more modern and/or timeless. That's why I'd probably wear my ballerina flats with my footless tights, a denim mini-skirt with a vest top and cardigan. You can pull items off if you don't go overboard...and that's why there were so many fashion disasters in the 80s beacuse 'more was less' back then...or so they thought!

I love the 80s, but don't get me wrong...I'm still not gonna go out and get a mullet :P

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/29/06 at 6:41 am

Well I'd agree that there are two types of people who wear 80s stuff. I;d have to say I belong to the first category...although there were A LOT of fashion 'no no's' in the 1980s, some of the simple classics live on in my wardrobe.

For example, I've been wearing footless tights for many years. Also, I own chunky long beads,  a ra-ra skirt, leg-warmers, slogan t-shirts, off-the-shoulder tops, ballerina flats and dranepipe jeans (although these are technically from the 70s - real retro jeans from a family member that now fit me!).

The way to work these items is to generally be able to contrast them with something more modern and/or timeless. That's why I'd probably wear my ballerina flats with my footless tights, a denim mini-skirt with a vest top and cardigan. You can pull items off if you don't go overboard...and that's why there were so many fashion disasters in the 80s beacuse 'more was less' back then...or so they thought!

I love the 80s, but don't get me wrong...I'm still not gonna go out and get a mullet :P

All of this stuff you mentioned is currently hot hipsterish fashion that's even pretty mainstreamish hip.

Written By: Criz on 03/29/06 at 8:05 am

Maybe it is quite mainstream...but I wouldn't say I'm a fashion victim. I wear what I like, and I like the 80s!

The worst thing that is around at the moment are these chavy clothes - can't stand them. Why oh why do some of these people believe that walking around in a tracksuit is a fashion statement...this on a level is quite similar to the 'shell-suit' era of the late 80s/early 90s *shudders*

Written By: Trimac20 on 03/29/06 at 8:10 am

All of this stuff you mentioned is currently hot hipsterish fashion that's even pretty mainstreamish hip.

Would they have been as fashionable 5, even 10 years ago? I would probably think not...

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/29/06 at 1:46 pm

Would they have been as fashionable 5, even 10 years ago? I would probably think not...

No, certainly not...it's '80s nostalgia! What's a shell suit?

Written By: Criz on 03/29/06 at 1:54 pm

http://www.kkwear.com/ images/shell_tn.jpg

That's a shell suit!

Written By: Trimac20 on 03/29/06 at 9:01 pm

It's a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles costume... :)

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/29/06 at 9:55 pm

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~ambermb/graphics/shell.gif

Written By: Trimac20 on 03/30/06 at 2:37 am

Oh...so that's what they are. That guy posing looks pretty fruity... ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...