inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Does anyone remember the 80's band Bow Wow Wow?

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 03/18/06 at 10:47 pm

I remember Bow Wow Wow, their "I Want Candy" was the theme for a local rock music show called "Video Rock" on Channel 17-WPHL in Philadelphia...I think that song was their biggest hit here in America.

Subject: Re: Does anyone remember the 80's band Bow Wow Wow?

Written By: nally on 03/18/06 at 10:50 pm

They were popular when I was a little kid, even though I don't remember a thing about 'em then. In fact, I didn't even find out about them until much later in my life. So I can't say I "remember" them.

I like their songs "I Want Candy", "C30 C60 C90 Go!" and "Baby oh no" (I think that's what it's called).

Written By: whistledog on 03/18/06 at 10:56 pm

I think that song was their biggest hit here in America.

It was yes.  I Want Candy reached #62 on Billboard in 1982 and their only other US hit "Do You Wanna Hold Me" reached #77 in 1983 :)

In the UK, they had 3 Top 40 hits ...

1980 - C30 C60 C90 Go
1982 - Go Wild in the Country
1982 - I Want Candy

Written By: nally on 03/18/06 at 11:02 pm

[quote author=whis

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 03/18/06 at 11:09 pm

I am not big on "I Want Candy" but I do like another one of their lesser known songs called "Do You Want to Hold Me" Parts of it is talking about Disney chracters which seems to make no sense, but the tune is catchy!

Written By: kairi747 on 03/18/06 at 11:09 pm

yes, i remember the i want candy video.  the girl from the group had a mohawkish-type pony ail.  that's their only song i was familiar with.

Written By: FaultyDog on 03/19/06 at 2:03 am

Yep, I remember them!  :)

Band members were Annabella Lwin, Matthew Ashman (who died in 1995), Leigh Gorman and Dave Barbarossa.
Before forming Bow Wow Wow, the male members were with Adam & the Ants.
Barbarossa was also a member of Republica, who scored a minor hit in 1997 with Ready To Go.

Annabella's real name is Myant-Myant Aye Dunn-Lwin. She was only 15 years "old" when she joined the band, and she was still a minor when she posed naked for the infamous album cover (which got banned in US if I'm correct). I forgot which album it was, but the band members did a living picture of the "D

Written By: Windbreaker05 on 03/19/06 at 2:13 am

Only two I've heard are "I Want Candy" and "C-30 C-60 C-90 Go"

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/19/06 at 2:50 pm

I only remember I Want Candy.

Cat

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 03/19/06 at 7:32 pm

"I Want Candy" is one of those songs that when I start thinking about it, I can't get it out of my mind!

So I recently downloaded it. One of the coolest pop songs of the 80's IMO.

Written By: nina on 03/27/06 at 4:48 am

Totally. In the video I want Candy, all of the band members are covered up to their heads in sand and are singing. Didn't someone just make a remark of that song recently?

Written By: NozmoKing on 03/29/06 at 10:17 pm

Here is a list of the albums I have...

1)  See Jungle, See Jungle - 1981 songs included are...
    Elimination Dancing,  Go Wild in the Country,  and Orang-Outang ( a cool instrumental)

2) I Want Candy- 1982, songs included are...
    I Want Candy,  Mile High Club,  El Boss Dicho.

Both of these album contain the songs King Kong, and (Im a) T.V. Savage and both were on the RCA label.

3) When The Going Gets Tough, The Tough Get Going - 1983 songs included are...
    Do You Wanna Hold Me,  Quiver (Arrows in My), The Man Mountain.
    This is also an RCA release.

4) I Want Candy - 1983(?) songs included are...
  W.O.R.K., Sexy Eiffel Towers, C-30,C-60,C-90 Go...
    This release was from EMI and the songs were listd as being issued 1980-1982. Im guessing that this is probably a collection of singles and B-sides, it contains 16tracks.

Hope this helps you out.
NozmoKing

Written By: rip_jeans on 04/02/06 at 12:43 am

In September 2003 I went to a concert hosted by KROQ (L.A.) called Inland Invasion. Bow Wow Wow was one of many 80's band that played there.

Other 80's band at Inland Invasion that year included:

Soft Cell
Berlin
The Cure
Dramarama
Duran Duran
Echo and the Bunnymen
General Public
Psychedelic Furs
Violent Femmes

Written By: Wiffle on 08/29/06 at 4:04 am

I was thinking back to the 1980s and remembered a day when my friends and I were out and about in Long Beach, back when KNAC was broadcasting "new wave" from the Farmers and Merchants Bank building. The DJ of the moment, likely Richard Blade or maybe Poor Man announced that Annabella was going to be in the studio shortly. Well, we went over to the F&M Bank building and got in the elevator, and who was in the elevator all alone, but Annabella!

So it was just me, my best friend, and our other friend JD (a guy) in the elevator.

None of us said anything for a moment, and then JD turns to Annabella and says, "I want to suck your mohawk."

She said something F-word related and we rode the elevator back down.

Anyway, I still listen to Bow Wow Wow. I believe I have at least one version of every song listed in this thread. "See Jungle" is a great song. "Where's My Snake" is another very catchy song that was not widely released.

Bow Wow Wow is probably one of my top 10 all-time favorite bands.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 08/29/06 at 10:25 am

I pretty only remember I Want Candy.

Written By: KKay on 08/29/06 at 10:51 am

remember? i listen to their albums still....every week!  i love man mountain and aphrodisiac...
great band.

Check for new replies or respond here...