inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Feeling old? Then this is NOT going to help!

Written By: Tony J Case on 03/20/06 at 11:06 pm

From the 2002 Beloit College Mindset List -

(and Yes, I know that some kids today know all about pacman and rotary phones. Just work with me here)

BELOIT COLLEGE'S
CLASS OF 2002 MINDSET LIST
01. The people starting college this fall across the nation were born in 1980.
02. They have no meaningful recollection of the Reagan era, and did not know he had ever been shot.
03. They were prepubescent when the Persian Gulf War was waged.
04. Black Monday 1987 is as significant to them as the Great Depression.
05. There has only been one Pope. They can only remember one other president.
*edit* Looks like number 5 no longer applies

06. They were 11 when the Soviet Union broke apart, and do not remember the Cold War.
07. They have never feared a nuclear war. "The Day After" is a pill to them

Subject: Re: Feeling old? Then this is NOT going to help!

Written By: Marty McFly on 03/20/06 at 11:13 pm

Hey, that first list brings back memories, and not in a good way, LOL (I remember it was circulating at the time my folks and I shared a computer. My dad had friends who passed on jokes and such, so I saw it one day).

Perhaps I should've been amused (that was the intent of it, not to really be scientific), but I remember being P*SSED at the time, LOL. I just didn't find it funny at all, first, because I knew I was basically contradictory to everything on the list (and I was 1-2 years YOUNGER than that!), and second, because I felt that it made people look stupid on everything that happened in the world or in pop culture before they were 12.

However, I guess I can take it with a grain of salt today. Still not saying I like it, but I was defensive as h*ll about it when I was 16 in 1997/98. ;D

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 03/21/06 at 1:22 am

Hmmm, some of this comes off as inaccurate. Anything that says "never" is a bit of a fallacy, so yeah, this list does piss me off a bit, but hey, whoever wrote it will probably have to take English 101 again to correct those things, so it's not of my worry!

One more thing that kinda irks me is that these people don't take into consideration that kids born in 1980 never noticed Johnny Carson on their TV set for 12 years of their life - Ughh, who wrote this thing!? Even I remember watching Johnny Carson and watching his last show (which was on my tenth birthday in 1992).

Okay, I better stop reading this... before the novelty wears off...

Written By: bbigd04 on 03/21/06 at 1:29 am

Hmmm, some of this comes off as inaccurate. Anything that says "never" is a bit of a fallacy, so yeah, this list does piss me off a bit, but hey, whoever wrote it will probably have to take English 101 again to correct those things, so it's not of my worry!

One more thing that kinda irks me is that these people don't take into consideration that kids born in 1980 never noticed Johnny Carson on their TV set for 12 years of their life - Ughh, who wrote this thing!? Even I remember watching Johnny Carson and watching his last show (which was on my tenth birthday in 1992).

Yea this list is especially inaccurate if it written about kids born in 1980. I was born in 1987 and I remember when stamps were still 29 cents. I clicked the link and for the class of 2009, which would be for people are my age one of the things is "61. Digital cameras have always existed.", ummmm not true I easily remember before digital cameras existed.

Written By: Marty McFly on 03/21/06 at 1:31 am

Yeah, you know, I've often wondered who wrote these things, LOL. Let's just say, for sake of this post, it was simply an astute, pop culture minded person born in 1950.

I've often said I believe recent generations (I'm definitely including myself too  ;)) have more of an attachment to their childhood than in the past. People who were kids in the '80s or later. Due just to having so much - video game systems, Internet, MTV, VCR's, movies, cool toys, etc.

This is a concept perhaps lost on someone born in 1950 who wasn't as exposed to stuff in their childhood ('50s and very early '60s). Keep in mind, because the Internet wasn't around then, and even TV/radio wasn't as widespread in every home, many things weren't reported/talked about as much. '50s kids probably thought the world was huge with so much to explore, more than '80s/90s/00s kids do or did.

A 1950er might've also said "forget it" to anything 50-ish when the Beatles/real Sixties came along in 1964. Therefore, maybe they think a 1980er would think something from 1992 (i.e. Johnny Carson's last show) is still kinda irrelevant to them, simply based on their own experiences.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 03/21/06 at 3:21 am

Yeah, you know, I've often wondered who wrote these things, LOL. Let's just say, for sake of this post, it was simply an astute, pop culture minded person born in 1950.

I've often said I believe recent generations (I'm definitely including myself too  ;)) have more of an attachment to their childhood than in the past. People who were kids in the '80s or later. Due just to having so much - video game systems, Internet, MTV, VCR's, movies, cool toys, etc.

This is a concept perhaps lost on someone born in 1950 who wasn't as exposed to stuff in their childhood ('50s and very early '60s). Keep in mind, because the Internet wasn't around then, and even TV/radio wasn't as widespread in every home, many things weren't reported/talked about as much. '50s kids probably thought the world was huge with so much to explore, more than '80s/90s/00s kids do or did.

A 1950er might've also said "forget it" to anything 50-ish when the Beatles/real Sixties came along in 1964. Therefore, maybe they think a 1980er would think something from 1992 (i.e. Johnny Carson's last show) is still kinda irrelevant to them, simply based on their own experiences.

I would agree for the most part.. except there are things that are part of my mom's childhood that she remembers pretty well from the 1950's - pop culturally and so on. And don't even get my Dad going - he has very vivid memories of the 50's (his main childhood years since he was born in 1949) So, to me,  whoever wrote that thinks that people in general are not very observant of these obvious culture changes or the writer has been misinformed by a small group of people they happen to know who happen to know absolutely nothing about anything around them. (Does Paris Hilton come to mind?) lol.

Brian06 made a good point by checking out their "new" list of graduates of '09 and claiming that these graduates did not know what it was like before digital cameras. That's just an insult, in my opinion.

...yet.. I am sure they are just being overly drastic on this "list" (I just hope so, I really do)

Written By: Marty McFly on 03/21/06 at 3:34 am

I would agree for the most part.. except there are things that are part of my mom's childhood that she remembers pretty well from the 1950's - pop culturally and so on. And don't even get my Dad going - he has very vivid memories of the 50's (his main childhood years since he was born in 1949) So, to me,  whoever wrote that thinks that people in general are not very observant of these obvious culture changes or the writer has been misinformed by a small group of people they happen to know who happen to know absolutely nothing about anything around them. (Does Paris Hilton come to mind?) lol.

Oh totally. I'm sure actually most people (whether or not they'll admit it ;) ) have a near perfect memory from roughly age 6 and up, and at least some scattered memories of age 3-5. Sure, some people in past generations may not grasp so tightly on the pop culture from when they were in kindergarden (like I do, LOL), but I'm sure it's in their minds.

Brian06 made a good point by checking out their "new" list of graduates of '09 and claiming that these graduates did not know what it was like before digital cameras. That's just an insult, in my opinion.

...yet.. I am sure they are just being overly drastic on this "list" (I just hope so, I really do)

Yeah, I really hope it's just meant as an exaggeratory joke. I felt a bit insulted by the "born in 1980" list when I read it in 1997 as well. Possibly it's meant in a "only a small percentage of the things on this list might apply to the really least observant people born in " sense. I hope anyway, LOL.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 03/21/06 at 11:35 am

Just reading the stuff, made me feel like I'm getting old!  ;D

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 03/21/06 at 11:50 am

This list is totally idiotic. I was born in '87 and even I can remember a few things on here. I'm sure an '80er could.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 03/21/06 at 12:13 pm

I think some are missing the point. Many may indirectly remember b/c they heard about it or were told about it by other means. Unless you have had direct (meaning you experienced it firsthand) experience, you may not remember.

Sad, but true, McDonald's stopped using styrofoam containers....damn!

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 03/21/06 at 1:25 pm

I think some are missing the point. Many may indirectly remember b/c they heard about it or were told about it by other means. Unless you have had direct (meaning you experienced it firsthand) experience, you may not remember.

Sad, but true, McDonald's stopped using styrofoam containers....damn!

I agree. On one hand though, the terms they use shouldn't be "never" it should be "may" or instead of "always" it should be "probably" Some things they are very correct about - I mean, we can't turn back the hands of time and say some of us lived these things we we most certaintly didn't, but some things are fairly unfair in their assessment. As I pointed out about the Johnny Carson vs. Jay Leno thing - that's showing that they can't be truly serious because it would be nearly impossible for not one single 1980 person to not ever have seen the Tonight Show prior to Jay Leno in 1992. That's just pure ignorance, if that's the case.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 03/21/06 at 6:09 pm

06. They were 11 when the Soviet Union broke apart, and do not remember the Cold War.

Are you telling me that nobody born in 1980 has any first hand memories of the cold war? That's really stupid. They should defidently be able to remember some of it or at least the last few years('89-'91).

15. They have likely never played Pac Man, and have never heard of "Pong."

Are you kidding? I was born 7 years later and i've played pac-man. And if they mean that they didnt play pac-man during its peak popularity I'd say that pac-man was fairly popular throughout the whole decade.

Written By: Chris MegatronTHX on 03/21/06 at 8:14 pm

Everyone I've met that was born in 1980 has a very old school quality to them.  They're so old school they almost seem like they were born in the 70s with the rest us aging Gen Xers.  Even though they are unlikely to remember 1984 in detail since they would have been only 3 or 4, they seem really aware of a lot of 80s and early 90s pop culture.  They don't speak about it like a kid born in 1987 that did a ton of internet research, they kinda have "yeah I was there" attitude, with more detail.  Sometimes I get fooled into thinking they were there like I was, but then I realize no they quite weren't.        

It's gotten to the point that I don't even consider people born in 1980 to really be "born in the 80s".  Not really.  They are not what I think of, niether are the born in 1981 folks.  To me "born in the 80s" is more descriptive of someone born in 1984, or 1986, you know someone like that.  Someone like Mandy Moore, Lindsay Lohan or Hillary Duff.  They tend to be more clueless on matters of the 80s, and sometimes even early 90s.  I say that because I've found so much common ground between people born in 1980 and '81, but not anywhere near the same with a person born in 1983, 1984, '86,...

Written By: Tony J Case on 03/21/06 at 10:15 pm

(and Yes, I know that some kids today know all about pacman and rotary phones. Just work with me here)

Yaknow, I think a great many of you missed the point. When you speak in a generalization like this, of COURSE youre going to have people going "Nonsense! I still have my atari and I was born in 1989!". That, however is not quite the spirit that the list was intended. Of course theres always going to be bright kids that stayed up until 11, but for the most part Leno has always been on the Tonight Show, or there has always been one Pope (until last year).

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 03/22/06 at 12:08 am

Yaknow, I think a great many of you missed the point. When you speak in a generalization like this, of COURSE youre going to have people going "Nonsense! I still have my atari and I was born in 1989!". That, however is not quite the spirit that the list was intended. Of course theres always going to be bright kids that stayed up until 11, but for the most part Leno has always been on the Tonight Show, or there has always been one Pope (until last year).

OKay, to set the record straight, I don't think any of us missed the point - it's just some of the stuff they wrote was not factual (as they state on their website) To never own a record player would be untrue - records were still being sold and record players were also still being sold as part of home stereo systems. All I knew as a kid were of records, audio tapes and 8 tracks. CD's I had never heard of until I was ten years old.

It's like telling someone born in 1950 that they never knew what it was like without a TV. Or they never knew what what the "Your Hit Parade" was. Or World War I was "ancient history" to them. Or they never danced the Charleston, jitterbug, or swing.

It's just stuff like that I guess which annoys me. Call me nit picky...

Written By: Marty McFly on 03/23/06 at 12:52 am

OKay, to set the record straight, I don't think any of us missed the point - it's just some of the stuff they wrote was not factual (as they state on their website) To never own a record player would be untrue - records were still being sold and record players were also still being sold as part of home stereo systems. All I knew as a kid were of records, audio tapes and 8 tracks. CD's I had never heard of until I was ten years old.

It's like telling someone born in 1950 that they never knew what it was like without a TV. Or they never knew what what the "Your Hit Parade" was. Or World War I was "ancient history" to them. Or they never danced the Charleston, jitterbug, or swing.

It's just stuff like that I guess which annoys me. Call me nit picky...

Couldn't agree more (as usual). :)

To use another example, Jerry Springer was born in 1944, and he has often told the story he recalls about he and his parents immigrating to the US on the Queen Mary, passing the Statue of Liberty, when he was five (1949) and how assimilating to the country was for all of them. Or, on a lighter note, getting into baseball and stuff like that in his childhood, and listening to his parents' collection of 78's.

These lists would be like telling someone his age, they never knew anything before Elvis or thought malt shops were always around, etc.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 03/23/06 at 12:14 pm

Couldn't agree more (as usual). :)

To use another example, Jerry Springer was born in 1944, and he has often told the story he recalls about he and his parents immigrating to the US on the Queen Mary, passing the Statue of Liberty, when he was five (1949) and how assimilating to the country was for all of them. Or, on a lighter note, getting into baseball and stuff like that in his childhood, and listening to his parents' collection of 78's.

These lists would be like telling someone his age, they never knew anything before Elvis or thought malt shops were always around, etc.

Exactly - Everyone has their own experiences. I guess when I see a list like that it's considered stereotyping, even as funny as it is and can be, some people may believe we actually don't know this stuff just because we weren't born around or before it - which is absolutly false.

The Jerry Springer was a good example of how he grew up around stuff that was before his time, but still made an impact on him nevertheless.

Written By: belmont22 on 11/04/12 at 7:55 am

Everyone I've met that was born in 1980 has a very old school quality to them.  They're so old school they almost seem like they were born in the 70s with the rest us aging Gen Xers.  Even though they are unlikely to remember 1984 in detail since they would have been only 3 or 4, they seem really aware of a lot of 80s and early 90s pop culture.  They don't speak about it like a kid born in 1987 that did a ton of internet research, they kinda have "yeah I was there" attitude, with more detail.  Sometimes I get fooled into thinking they were there like I was, but then I realize no they quite weren't.       

It's gotten to the point that I don't even consider people born in 1980 to really be "born in the 80s".  Not really.  They are not what I think of, niether are the born in 1981 folks.  To me "born in the 80s" is more descriptive of someone born in 1984, or 1986, you know someone like that.  Someone like Mandy Moore, Lindsay Lohan or Hillary Duff.  They tend to be more clueless on matters of the 80s, and sometimes even early 90s.  I say that because I've found so much common ground between people born in 1980 and '81, but not anywhere near the same with a person born in 1983, 1984, '86,...

I was born in 1990 and I agree. I've never felt like I was really 'born in the 90s' if that makes sense, in the same way someone born in say 1997 was. I mean I remember the majority of the decade, especially 1996-99 and bits and pieces of 1993-95. I was already talking in 1991 though obviously I don't remember.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 11/04/12 at 8:32 am

I was born in 1990 and I agree. I've never felt like I was really 'born in the 90s' if that makes sense, in the same way someone born in say 1997 was.

How do you know how somebody born in '97 feels about the 90's?

I was already talking in 1991 though obviously I don't remember.

I was already talking in '87/'88, so I am an 80's kid ;) !?

Written By: Headphones1989 on 11/04/12 at 10:12 am

I agree with some of the comments here. I was born in 1989 and I can talk to people born in 1990, 1991 and 1992 about things from the late 90s pretty well (and even the mid-90s to an extent). Perhaps, if you turned '3' or '4' in the '5' or '6' year of the decade (such as turning 3 or 4 in 1995 or 1996) or before, you weren't really be "born" in the decade the same way someone born in 1995 or 1996 was because you would've actually been old enough to go to school, at least in the late 90s. I vividly remember being 6 and 7 in 1995 and 1996 and experiencing some pop culture, so I don't see why 1998 and 1999 are beyond reason for someone born in 1992. They were 5 when Princess Diana died, so there is a chance they might remember that, even if only vaguely.

Whereas somebody born in say 1995 or 1996 would be toddlers of the late 90s.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 11/04/12 at 10:20 am

I agree with some of the comments here. I was born in 1989 and I can talk to people born in 1990, 1991 and 1992 about things from the late 90s pretty well (and even the mid-90s to an extent). Perhaps, if you turned '3' or '4' in the '5' or '6' year of the decade (such as turning 3 or 4 in 1995 or 1996) or before, you weren't really be "born" in the decade the same way someone born in 1995 or 1996 was because you would've actually been old enough to go to school, at least in the late 90s. I vividly remember being 6 and 7 in 1995 and 1996 and experiencing some pop culture, so I don't see why 1998 and 1999 are beyond reason for someone born in 1992. They were 5 when Princess Diana died, so there is a chance they might remember that, even if only vaguely.

so?

Written By: Headphones1989 on 11/04/12 at 10:36 am

so?

So, before people jump to conclusions about those born early in a decade (say xxx0, xxx1 and xxx2) and say "you wouldn't understand anything about the 90s, because were just born in the 90s" like I've seen many people do across the internet and even in real life consider that these people might have been 7 or older in 1999. If someone born in 1985 remembers 1992, what gives with someone born in 1992 remembering 1999?

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 11/04/12 at 11:04 am

If someone born in 1985 remembers 1992, what gives with someone born in 1992 remembering 1999?

1999 was not the 90's. And that's what's all about. Same goes for early 80's borns who just spend some single digits in the 80's and maybe have some kid memories of the mid/late 80's..

Written By: apollonia1986 on 11/04/12 at 11:09 am

I was born in 86 and I remember seeing the Berlin Wall come down when I was 3. I didn't know the signifigance until I was older, but I remember that.
I remember wondering who the fool yelling in the light up jacket was. Turns out it was David Hassllhoff.

Written By: Headphones1989 on 11/04/12 at 11:21 am

1999 was not the 90's. And that's what's all about. Same goes for early 80's borns who just spend some single digits in the 80's and maybe have some kid memories of the mid/late 80's..

So what decade was 1999 a part of? The 1970s? The 2010s? Given that it is a 199X year, it only makes sense for me to consider it the 90s. Since when are 'kid memories' not 'memories'? That's like saying 'small televisions' are not 'televisions'.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 11/04/12 at 12:26 pm

Since when are 'kid memories' not 'memories'? That's like saying 'small televisions' are not 'televisions'.

Kid memories ARE memories, but they are generally not enough to fully understand everything that happened in the respective decade. And that's what the people who say something like 'You were just born in the 90's, so you don't know the 90's' basically mean.

My real time was more the 2000's (teenage time and early 20's). If a little kid born in 2000 came to me to tell me something about the decade, I would also reject him with similar words. You know what I mean?

Written By: Headphones1989 on 11/04/12 at 2:16 pm

Kid memories ARE memories, but they are generally not enough to fully understand everything that happened in the respective decade. And that's what the people who say something like 'You were just born in the 90's, so you don't know the 90's' basically mean.

My real time was more the 2000's (teenage time and early 20's). If a little kid born in 2000 came to me to tell me something about the decade, I would also reject him with similar words. You know what I mean?

I do, but only if we were talking about perhaps 2000-2003/04. If we were talking about the late 2000s, I'm sure they'd have a few things to contribute.

Written By: Howard on 11/04/12 at 2:55 pm

So the person born in 1997 is 15 years old.

Written By: Howard on 11/04/12 at 2:57 pm

why toddlers?  ???

Written By: Howard on 11/04/12 at 2:58 pm

I was born in 86 and I remember seeing the Berlin Wall come down when I was 3. I didn't know the signifigance until I was older, but I remember that.
I remember wondering who the fool yelling in the light up jacket was. Turns out it was David Hassllhoff.

In 1986 I was 12 years old.

Written By: Headphones1989 on 11/04/12 at 3:02 pm

why toddlers?  ???

Because a 3 year old isn't really a kid but they are not a baby anymore either. Someone born in 1995 turned 3 in 1998 and someone born in 1996 turned 3 in 1999.

On an unrelated note, 1998 was a good year for eating lunch.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 11/04/12 at 4:01 pm

3 is actually the beginning of kid age.

Written By: Headphone1989 on 11/04/12 at 4:11 pm

I could believe that 3 is a kid, but then you get people who pretend that nobody as a 3 year old can remember anything.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 11/04/12 at 5:04 pm

I could believe that 3 is a kid, but then you get people who pretend that nobody as a 3 year old can remember anything.

My memories from being 3 years old are very vague. That's true. Something is quite clear, something is gone. But it's not that I remember everything from being 6 or 7. Actually everything under age 9 is very different from those 'double digit memories' and pretty fragmentary at some points. 

Written By: nally on 11/04/12 at 5:06 pm

My memories from being 3 years old are very vague. That's true. Something is quite clear, something is gone.

The same with me; I was that age in 1983-84, and I don't think I can remember any part of my life in 1983 well. Any memory I might have of that year is completely fuzzy. Same with most of early 1984, but I do actually have memories of something that occurred in May of that year.

Written By: Headphones1989 on 11/04/12 at 5:07 pm

My memories from being 3 years old are very vague. That's true. Something is quite clear, something is gone. But it's not that I remember everything from being 6 or 7. Actually everything under age 9 is very different from those 'double digit memories' and pretty fragmentary at some points.

Well, I was born in 1989 and Christmas 1994 is stronger in my memory than Christmas 1999.

Written By: belmont22 on 11/04/12 at 5:09 pm

I don't, all I know is they would remember basically nothing. Which is why I don't feel like I was born inside the 90s even though technically speaking I was.

And no being able to talk counts for nothing if you can't remember. But, I think people probably subconsciously have memories from about the point they learned to speak fluently onwards. According to my mother, I could say stuff like 'mama' as a baby but couldn't really speak fluent English until about 18 months, when I suddenly learned very quickly.

Written By: amjikloviet on 11/04/12 at 5:11 pm

I can remember some things from when I was two and three quite vaguely. But the memories are there, at least.

Written By: Headphones1989 on 11/04/12 at 5:30 pm

I think people probably subconsciously have memories from about the point they learned to speak fluently onwards.

Seriously, THIS is one thing that makes people born in for example 1992 more "90s"-oritentated than people might think. Using 1992 as an example, they may have only been 5 in 1997, but it would act as a year where they developed some of their earliest solid memories and understandings of birthdays, christmas, thanksgiving...you get the picture. Ever heard of the significance of the "first impression"? Well, the 90s would be the "first impression" that someone born in 1992 would have for a lot of things, including life in general. Even if they consciously forget what happened in 1997 or even 1996, subconsciously there's something that is always there.

Written By: MarkMc1990 on 11/04/12 at 6:18 pm

What really qualifies as a vague vs. a clear memory? Because it's not like I can discuss a particular day from when I was 20 in detail any more than I could from when I was 6.

I can attest to remembering celebrating my 3rd birthday in 1993. I remember earlier in the day, my mom showing me the 101 Dalmatians party hats she bought for the occasion and having this excited expression on her face like one would do to get a baby or little kid excited. Then at night, I remember sitting in the corner of our dining room looking at a photo album while my dad and uncle were standing in front of me talking to each other. I can "see" these memories clear in my head, but the "duration" of these memories is like, one second.

I think that's the earliest thing I can remember, but I also have various memories of being in a crib and high-chair. I'm not sure how old I was for those though.

I also swear I can remember something that my mom claims happened when I was one, but maybe I was actually two? We were at the mall and she got us lasagna in this little Italian restaurant in there, and apparently I ate it all. I remember it being very dark in the restaurant but being able to look out into the mall part and seeing people walking by.

I sincerely don't think any of my above memories are the false ones created from hearing stories and seeing photos.

Written By: Headphones1989 on 11/04/12 at 6:28 pm

What really qualifies as a vague vs. a clear memory? Because it's not like I can discuss a particular day from when I was 20 in detail any more than I could from when I was 6.

I can attest to remembering celebrating my 3rd birthday in 1993. I remember earlier in the day, my mom showing me the 101 Dalmatians party hats she bought for the occasion and having this excited expression on her face like one would do to get a baby or little kid excited. Then at night, I remember sitting in the corner of our dining room looking at a photo album while my dad and uncle were standing in front of me talking to each other. I can "see" these memories clear in my head, but the "duration" of these memories is like, one second.

I think that's the earliest thing I can remember, but I also have various memories of being in a crib and high-chair. I'm not sure how old I was for those though.

I also swear I can remember something that my mom claims happened when I was one, but maybe I was actually two? We were at the mall and she got us lasagna in this little Italian restaurant in there, and apparently I ate it all. I remember it being very dark in the restaurant but being able to look out into the mall part and seeing people walking by.

I sincerely don't think any of my above memories are the false ones created from hearing stories and seeing photos.

I remember being on the back of those bicycle things with a seat at the back. I have a memory of a church that couldn't be any later than 1993 and I was born in 1989. This is also what I mean about how the years before you (or including up to) are 7 can influence you greatly today, even if it is subconsciously. Your comment plus mine about first impressions basically sums up the flaw in saying someone born in the first three or so years of a decade doesn't have a significant attachment to the decade they were born in.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 11/05/12 at 12:49 am

What really qualifies as a vague vs. a clear memory?

I would qualify 'vague memories' as those memories that are even hard to reconstruct when watching photos. For instance I am able to remember nearly as good as all things without any problem when I watch photos from about age 5 on. However when I watch a photo of my 2nd birthday, nothing comes to my mind. And the 3rd one is very hard.

Because it's not like I can discuss a particular day from when I was 20 in detail any more than I could from when I was 6.

Just watch a photo from that birthday. If you haven't drunk too much, you should immediatly remember the situation that is shown ;)

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 11/05/12 at 12:56 am

Seriously, THIS is one thing that makes people born in for example 1992 more "90s"-oritentated than people might think. Using 1992 as an example, they may have only been 5 in 1997, but it would act as a year where they developed some of their earliest solid memories and understandings of birthdays, christmas, thanksgiving...you get the picture.

I don't know. My earliest memories are from that 80's/90's transitional time in the early 90's. That time was quite different from the mid and late 90's. By your theory I must be early 90's -orientated; however I would still consider myself more mid-90's orientated just because I remember that time better.

Written By: Headphones1989 on 11/05/12 at 1:07 am

I don't know. My earliest memories are from that 80's/90's transitional time in the early 90's. That time was quite different from the mid and late 90's. By your theory I must be early 90's -orientated; however I would still consider myself more mid-90's orientated just because I remember that time better.

I didn't say someone born in 1992 was necessarily more 90s-orientated than 2000s-oritentated. Just that they'd be more 90s-orientated than they'd get credit for. Indeed I would consider 1986-1989 as mid-90s orientated but I would consider 1990-1992 as late 90s orientated. Remember, just because you may not remember everything from when you were 3 or 4 doesn't mean it hasn't subconsciously affected you. Conscious memory is important too, but the subconscious also has a part to play.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 11/05/12 at 1:12 am

I would already consider '88 and '89 as late 90's orientated (even I was only 10 in 1996!) and '90-'91 as being early 2000's-orientated.

Written By: Headphones1989 on 11/05/12 at 1:18 am

I would already consider '88 and '89 as late 90's orientated (even I was only 10 in 1996!) and '90-'91 as being early 2000's-orientated.

1996 is mid-90s really. For the record, I based it off the year someone turned 7 because it takes into consideration the significance of the subconscious, for the reasons I explained. It's only 4 years after someone turned 3, but I think a skew to that age is fair, given that first impressions in life are subconsciously more powerful.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 11/05/12 at 1:29 am

For the record, I based it off the year someone turned 7

That would make sense if you come up with 86-89, yeah.

Not too long ago I talked to a 1989er and he mentioned that he is one of the last with the '8' in front and that he lived the 90's. In addition he mentioned N64, so I would say that he is pretty much late 90's-orientated.

Written By: Headphones1989 on 11/05/12 at 1:42 am

That would make sense if you come up with 86-89, yeah.

Not too long ago I talked to a 1989er and he mentioned that he is one of the last with the '8' in front and that he lived the 90's. In addition he mentioned N64, so I would say that he is pretty much late 90's-orientated.

But then you could say that someone born in 1985 that owns a Playstation is late 90-orientated. A 7 year old is a 7 year old regardless of whether they have an Nintendo 64 in the United States or a totem pole in Kenya.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 11/05/12 at 1:49 am

But then you could say that someone born in 1985 that owns a Playstation is late 90-orientated.

It just came to my mind since the first thing he associated with the 90's was a late 90's game console, while I think more about Gameboy or Super Nintendo.

And I am not saying that I am not late 90's-orientated aswell. Even 85ers. I mean - we weren't teens nor adults for some time in the late 90's.

Written By: Headphones1989 on 11/05/12 at 1:57 am

It just came to my mind since the first thing he associated with the 90's was a late 90's game console, while I think more about Gameboy or Super Nintendo.

And I am not saying that I am not late 90's-orientated aswell. Even 85ers. I mean - we weren't teens nor adults for some time in the late 90's.

Yes. I'd also like to point out that when I say 'oritentated' I usually mean moreso than other eras, although even then I'm not saying what I've said is unchallengable. I was born in 1989 and the first thing that comes to my mind when I think of the 90s is The Lion King.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 11/05/12 at 7:39 am

I don't, all I know is they would remember basically nothing. Which is why I don't feel like I was born inside the 90s even though technically speaking I was.

I know what you mean. If somebody asks you, just say 'I was born with the 90's' and not 'in' the 90's ;)

Written By: belmont22 on 11/05/12 at 7:43 am

I know what you mean. If somebody asks you, just say 'I was born with the 90's' and not 'in' the 90's ;)

That's kind of how I feel. Though, my mom was pregnant with me in the 80s so in a strange way, I was kind of alive in the 80s in the same way somebody born in 1989 was.  :P

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 11/05/12 at 8:27 am

That's kind of how I feel. Though, my mom was pregnant with me in the 80s so in a strange way, I was kind of alive in the 80s in the same way somebody born in 1989 was.  :P

That's how I look on late 1985 sometimes - however I don't have the 'decade problem'  ;D  :P

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 11/05/12 at 10:57 am

Bah...you guys are still wet behind the ears!  :D

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 11/05/12 at 11:02 am

Bah...you guys are still wet behind the ears!  :D

Everybody has still something kiddieish inside. And this forum over here is the place to live it.
Real life is serious enough. ;)

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 11/05/12 at 11:08 am

Everybody has still something kiddieish inside. And that forum over here is the place to live it.
Real life is serious enough. ;)

Of course, and that's why we're all here.  Still, I find it a bit amusing when people in their 20's talk about feeling "old."

Then again, when I start talking about feeling "old" some smartass in their 50's or 60's will tell me, "Yeah, you're just a pup."

Sometimes I wonder if, in retirement homes, the people in their 90's tease the new retirees in their 70's when they complain about feeling old.  ;D

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 11/05/12 at 11:25 am

Still, I find it a bit amusing when people in their 20's talk about feeling "old."

Not old in general, but old among people born in the 2000's.

Written By: Headphones1989 on 11/05/12 at 12:04 pm

Not old in general, but old among people born in the 2000's.

Even then, people born in 2000 (turning 13 next year) can feel old compared to someone born in 2008. That's how old being 20-29 really is.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 11/05/12 at 12:23 pm

Even then, people born in 2000 (turning 13 next year) can feel old compared to someone born in 2008. That's how old being 20-29 really is.

I think if you are just 13, you don't really feel that way. Somebody born in 2008 would be 5 in 2013, so still a little kid in comparison to the 13-year-old.

The 'shocking' aspect is more that those 2000ers aren't (little) kids anymore and become more and more like us.

Written By: Headphones1989 on 11/05/12 at 12:27 pm

I think if you are just 13, you don't really feel that way. Somebody born in 2008 would be 5 in 2013, so still a little kid in comparison to the 13-year-old.

The 'shocking' aspect is more that those 2000ers aren't (little) kids anymore and become more and more like us.

I guess so, but still, the fact they are teenagers makes them old compared to basically anyone born in about 2005 onwards  who will be as old as 8 next year.

Check for new replies or respond here...