inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Did anyone use the Internet in the '80s?

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/24/06 at 10:56 am

Subject: Re: Did anyone use the Internet in the '80s?

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/24/06 at 11:11 am

I mean ... "Anyone here?"

Written By: Mushroom on 03/24/06 at 11:23 am

I used some of the forerunners of The Internet in that era.

IN the early 1980's, I was playing around on CompuServe, The Source, and The Well.  By the mid 1980's, I was useing Quantum (a C-64 only service, which eventually became AOL).  In the late 1980's, I was a beta-tester on the Sears-IBM Network, which eventually came out unfer the name Prodigy.

By the late 1980's, I was also big into BBS services.  I even ran one for my Marine unit.  I participated in FIDONet, an early mail and newsgroup packet service, which was very similar to the USENET of the era.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/24/06 at 11:24 am

IN the early 1980's, I was playing around on CompuServe, The Source, and The Well.  By the mid 1980's, I was useing Quantum (a C-64 only service, which eventually became AOL).  In the late 1980's, I was a beta-tester on the Sears-IBM Network, which eventually came out unfer the name Prodigy.

By the late 1980's, I was also big into BBS services.  I even ran one for my Marine unit.  I participated in FIDONet, an early mail and newsgroup packet service, which was very similar to the USENET of the era.

Are they technically part of the Internet?  I've heard the World Wide Web isn't the only part of the Net.

Written By: Watcher29 on 03/24/06 at 12:22 pm

I flirted with CompuServe some back in the C-64 days. Never tried Quantum.  I did like to call up BBS's, but I don't know as they were really linked all that much until the later '80s. 

Written By: wsmith4 on 03/24/06 at 1:07 pm

i actually invented the internet. i was the first one to ever use it, in 1978

Written By: Mushroom on 03/24/06 at 2:31 pm

Are they technically part of the Internet?  I've heard the World Wide Web isn't the only part of the Net.

Yes, and no.

You have to realize, the "Internet" during this time was not very much.  It was only a handfull of Government, University, and Thinktank sites, linked together so they sould send e-mail and participate in message forums.  The remaining parts that are still around is E-Mail, Usenet, and Chat (now called IRC).

In the 1980's, CompuServe had far more content and services then the Internet did.  It also reached far more people.  FidoNet had the largest base of users, and was an international service.  Fido was free, while CompuServe was a "pay per hour" service, mostly used by Lawyers, Doctors, and Journalists.  Most of it's features were based around research and e-mail, although there were a few games available.

BBS was by far the largest "on-line" community.  Even small towns often had 4 or 5 BBS, most of them free of charge.  A "SysOp" (Systems Operator) was the nutcase (like me) who would spend thousands of dollars on a computer system, simply to let others play on it.  And it was the BBS users and owners that caused the MODEM industry to ramp up speeds.  In the 1980's, 300, 600, and 1200 bps MODEMS were the rule.  By the early 1990's, 4800 and 9600 became the standard.  Then within a few years we leapfrogged from 14.4 to 28.8, then hit 56k, which is where we are still at today.

The World Wide Web (what we are useing now) only came about in late 1990, and was not widely used until 1993.  That is when CERN (the people who made the WWW) announced that it would be available not just to Academics and Government, but to everybody, for free.  That is the start of the Internet Explosion.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/24/06 at 2:46 pm

Yes, and no.

You have to realize, the "Internet" during this time was not very much.  It was only a handfull of Government, University, and Thinktank sites, linked together so they sould send e-mail and participate in message forums.  The remaining parts that are still around is E-Mail, Usenet, and Chat (now called IRC).

In the 1980's, CompuServe had far more content and services then the Internet did.  It also reached far more people.  FidoNet had the largest base of users, and was an international service.  Fido was free, while CompuServe was a "pay per hour" service, mostly used by Lawyers, Doctors, and Journalists.  Most of it's features were based around research and e-mail, although there were a few games available.

BBS was by far the largest "on-line" community.  Even small towns often had 4 or 5 BBS, most of them free of charge.  A "SysOp" (Systems Operator) was the nutcase (like me) who would spend thousands of dollars on a computer system, simply to let others play on it.  And it was the BBS users and owners that caused the MODEM industry to ramp up speeds.  In the 1980's, 300, 600, and 1200 bps MODEMS were the rule.  By the early 1990's, 4800 and 9600 became the standard.  Then within a few years we leapfrogged from 14.4 to 28.8, then hit 56k, which is where we are still at today.

The World Wide Web (what we are useing now) only came about in late 1990, and was not widely used until 1993.  That is when CERN (the people who made the WWW) announced that it would be available not just to Academics and Government, but to everybody, for free.  That is the start of the Internet Explosion.

So would you say the "Eighties" internet was the prime computer interface until 1994ish, when we got our present Internet?  The Internet explosion I believe was from like 1994 to 2000, right?

I've heard in the Tens there will be an Internet 2.

Written By: Mushroom on 03/24/06 at 5:25 pm

So would you say the "Eighties" internet was the prime computer interface until 1994ish, when we got our present Internet?  The Internet explosion I believe was from like 1994 to 2000, right?

I've heard in the Tens there will be an Internet 2.

Here is the real "truth" about the internet:  there is no such thing.

"The Internet" is simply a bunch of computers connected together.  They all use TCP/IP 3 as a networking protocol, and use a common system to access each other.  That is it.

There are many other "alternate internets" around.  FIDONet is still in existance, and offers a service comperable to USENET and Internet E-Mail.

What most people call "Internet 2" is the Internet that will replace the one we use now.  That will not happen for the forseeable future, because of the software in use and the servers being used.

IP 3 is badly outdated.  When it was concieved, it was never thought that they would run out of IP address for each computer connected.  But once the WWW craze started, that was quickly found to be a false assumption.  An IPP Address is composed of 4 sets of 3 numbers, from 001.001.001.001 to 255.255.255.255.  A lot of the numbers are reserved, but the theoretical maximum is only 42 million numbers.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/24/06 at 5:26 pm

Here is the real "truth" about the internet:  there is no such thing.

"The Internet" is simply a bunch of computers connected together.  They all use TCP/IP 3 as a networking protocol, and use a common system to access each other.  That is it.

There are many other "alternate internets" around.  FIDONet is still in existance, and offers a service comperable to USENET and Internet E-Mail.

What most people call "Internet 2" is the Internet that will replace the one we use now.  That will not happen for the forseeable future, because of the software in use and the servers being used.

IP 3 is badly outdated.  When it was concieved, it was never thought that they would run out of IP address for each computer connected.  But once the WWW craze started, that was quickly found to be a false assumption.  An IPP Address is composed of 4 sets of 3 numbers, from 001.001.001.001 to 255.255.255.255.  A lot of the numbers are reserved, but the theoretical maximum is only 42 million numbers.

Interesting.  So it's essentially just a supercomputer, spread throughout the world and created by PCs and servers?

Written By: Mushroom on 03/24/06 at 7:02 pm

When the IP 4 system was initiated, nobody could concieve of even 4 million computers being connected, let alone 42 million.  But by the middle to late 1990's, it became increasingly obvious that they were running out of numbers.

A lot of the buyouts of Internet Providers in the late 1990's were done for one reasonL to acquire IP addresses.  The limiting factor was no longer the number of phone lines a providor had, but the number of addresses they could give out.  This caused some (AOL, Earthlink, Prodigy) to go on "buying sprees".  And the advent of highspeed internet made the problem even worse.  Now you had people that stayed connected permanently, so the address was never released for others to use.

This is where we are at now.  IP 6 was standardized over 6 years ago, but remains largely unused.  This is because a lot of computers, operating systems, and other devices (routers, netwrok cards, etc) are unable to use it.  Unlike IP 4 with it's 42 million theoretical addresses, IP 6 allows over 3.4x1038 individual addresses.  That is enough addresses to allow every living person on the planet to have is over 50 octillion (50,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000) addresses.  That means that everything that might connect to the internet in any way would have it's own private address.  Your car, your TV, your cell phone, your refrigerator, everything.

However, there is a problem with IP 6, it is not compatible with IP 3.  So before it can start to be used as the "new standard", everybody will have to stop useing the current Internet.  This is because instead of 4 groups of 3 numbers which range from 0 to 255, IP 6 uses 8 groups of 4 hexadecimal numbers (0 through F).

There are serves now that are able to translate to and from IP 4 and IP 6.  And more and more IP6 servers are going on-line.  This has helped a lot, and it is why we are now seeing more "Internet Ready" devices then ever before.  This is because the device is given a local IP 4 address, and the IP service is translating that to IP 6.

Windows XP is able to use IP 6 in a native form.  So are many variations of Unix.  Windows 2000 can work with IP 6 with some work.  Windows ME and earlier are totally unable to use IP 6.

I expect that the current IP 4 will die out within the next decade.  When designed in 1980, it was thought that they would never run out of numbers.

Here is a site that shows the most recent block allocations:

http://www.iana.org/assignments/ipv4-address-space

It shows just how crowded things are.  Hopefully IP 6 will become the standard soon, before things get worse.

Written By: Mushroom on 03/24/06 at 7:13 pm

Interesting.  So it's essentially just a supercomputer, spread throughout the world and created by PCs and servers?

Not really.  A "Supercomputer" suggest a logical expansion.

The Internet is the world largest form of Anarchy.  It is impossible to control, and impossible to prevent people from useing it.

The only control is the DNS servers.  That is the "Yellow Pages" of the internet.

When you type in www.inthe00s.com, the DNS servers jump in.  They look up the IP address that it is listed to (207.44.142.16), and sends you there.  Since this site is co-hosted, it arrives there with the information that the site wanted is www.inthe00s.com.  The server then sends you the information on the page requested.  This is how a web server is able to hose hundreds of web sites on only 1 server.

Yes, it is complicated and convoluted.  But until everything is converted to IP 6, it is the only thing we can do.

And that is when you hear of a website taken out by an attack, that is normally what happens.  Hackers no longer attack a web site, but they attack the DNS server.  By overloading a DNS server, you prevent anybody from being forwarded to websites.  But because of redundency nowadays, it does not happen anywhere near as often as it used to.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/24/06 at 11:41 pm

^My god you're smart!

That's a great analogy: Anarchy. I kind of think of the Internet as a parallel world, inhabited by Earthlings (mostly at least, anyway  ;)) but with its own realms too.

Have you heard of the conscious internet theory?

Written By: batfan2005 on 03/24/06 at 11:46 pm

I think that in about 5-10 years from now, the internet and all other programs will run more by voice activated interfaces, making a keyboard obsolete.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/24/06 at 11:47 pm

I think that in about 5-10 years from now, the internet and all other programs will run more by voice activated interfaces, making a keyboard obsolete.

I like the keyboards though.  My god, the future hasn't even began to start yet.

Written By: Mushroom on 03/25/06 at 9:51 am

^My god you're smart!

LOL!

This is more a matter of experience.  I grew up with computers, and got into them seriously in the early 1980's.  I got into networking in 1990.  When most people were getting their first taste of Windows 3.1, I was already setting up 5 computer networks in my house.  Then in 1996, I took a Novell class.  That taught me even more about networking.

In 2000, I took an MCSE course.  almost 4 months, 6 weeks of that covering things like IP 3, IP 4, IP 6, DNS Servers, and everything else that makes up "The Internet".

And that is all the Internet is, millions of computers networked together.  I find that like most things computer related, people tend to make them more complex then they really are.

And because I still do this for a living, I have to keep up with the new trends and systems.  I read 2-4 magazines a week, several "techie" websites, and several news sites just to keep up.  This is an industry where if you turn your back, your skills have become obsolete.

Written By: airsupplyairhead on 03/25/06 at 10:05 am

I didn't think it was around then.

Written By: stevefrom78 on 03/25/06 at 12:51 pm

Internet???...... 80's???........ New to me!!

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/25/06 at 1:03 pm

The Internet was around but not for us mortals then.

Written By: mauricev on 03/25/06 at 4:57 pm

Got my first email address the end of August, 1987. It was a bitnet address, V050FN5R@UBVMS  8)

Written By: Trimac20 on 03/26/06 at 12:52 am

The internet's existed since 1967...(I think the military used it), but of course what we now know as the internet is the World Wide Web, 'invented' in 1993.

Written By: Skippy on 03/26/06 at 1:30 am

The internet's existed since 1967...(I think the military used it), but of course what we now know as the internet is the World Wide Web, 'invented' in 1993.

Did a quick bit of research and discovered the World Wide Web, developed by Tim Berners-Lee, was launched by the CERN research center in 1991 and the application was written on a neXT computer. The first web browser was also written on a neXT computer, in hypertext. The term "surfing the Internet" was coined by public librarian Jean Armour Polly in 1992. The first banner ads, for the Zima beverage and AT&T, appeared on Hotwired.com in 1994.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/26/06 at 4:14 am

The earliest versions of these ideas of the Internet appeared in the late 1950s. Practical implementations of the concepts began during the late 1960s and 1970s. By the 1980s, technologies we would now recognize as the basis of the modern Internet began to spread over the globe. In the 1990s the introduction of the World Wide Web saw its use become commonplace.

A fundamental pioneer in the call for a global network, J.C.R. Licklider, grasped the need for a global network in his January 1960 paper, Man-Computer Symbiosis.

"a network of such , connected to one another by wide-band communication lines" which provided "the functions of present-day libraries together with anticipated advances in information storage and retrieval and symbiotic functions. " -- J.C.R Licklider

More can be read on Google Searching ARPANET.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 03/26/06 at 4:16 am

Was internet (common usage of it) around in the 80s?  ::)

We first connected to the 'net on a 14.4kbps modem in around '94, '95.
Got 33.3kbps later on (around '96)
Got 56kbps in around 1999
Got Broadband in 2001 or 2002

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/26/06 at 4:17 am

In 1984 the move in Europe towards more widespread use of TCP/IP started, and CERNET was converted over to using it. The TCP/IP CERNET remained isolated from the rest of the Internet, forming a small internal internet.

In 1988 Daniel Karrenberg, from the Amsterdam Mathematics Centre, visited Ben Segal, CERN's TCP/IP Coordinator; looking for advice about the transition of the European side of the UUCP Usenet network (much of which ran over X.25 links) over to TCP/IP. In 1987, Ben Segal had met with Len Bosack from the then still small company Cisco about TCP/IP routers, and was able to give Karrenberg advice and forward him on to Cisco for the appropriate hardware. This expanded the European portion of the Internet across the existing UUCP networks, and in 1989 CERN opened its first external TCP/IP connections. This coincided with the creation of R

Written By: Trimac20 on 03/26/06 at 7:05 pm

When I was younger I thought the internet was invented in 1995...the first time I used it. Which is kind of quaint when you think back on it. Seeing some of the 'professional' websites sans 1996 is quite an experience for those used to post-2000 style layouts. They aren't much different to your typical blog-site.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/27/06 at 1:20 am

When I was younger I thought the internet was invented in 1995...the first time I used it. Which is kind of quaint when you think back on it. Seeing some of the 'professional' websites sans 1996 is quite an experience for those used to post-2000 style layouts. They aren't much different to your typical blog-site.

Reading about the turn of the 21st Century from those old sites from c. 1997 really erases any doubt about whether the '90s was really the true 20th Century or not.  They're very quaint.  Even sites from 2001 look a bit dated.

Written By: _adam_ on 03/27/06 at 5:04 am

I`m  angry because i haven`t internet before 2004.I couldn`t meet very cool songs,albums,bands and movies earlier  >:( .I  wanted to have internet and know about that things since 2001.That was one of my biggest dreams.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/27/06 at 1:47 pm

You can blame the Cold War for the developement of the Internet.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/27/06 at 2:53 pm

You can blame the Cold War for the developement of the Internet.

You can also blame it for the fact that it took 30 years after it's 1969 invention to become ubitiquous.

Written By: Foo Bar on 03/27/06 at 11:34 pm

http://www.computerhistory.org

If you ever fly into San Jose, San Francisco, Oakland, you'll be within an hour's drive.  Visit.  Take a tour.  The people giving the tours were around then.  Unlike most museums, this one's not for kids -- the people who run the place and give the tours weren't merely *there*, they actually *know what they're talking about*.  They'll be able to tell you what it was like.  Some of 'em even made it happen.

On the tour, you'll see lots of stuff -- including one of the machines that talked to each other in the experiment that would eventually become the Internet.

Written By: Jeff Steele on 03/29/06 at 2:42 am

I didn't.

Written By: Chris MegatronTHX on 04/14/06 at 8:02 pm

Mushroom, I've loved ALL of your answers about the internet!  Straight to the point and matter of fact, with a high detail of knowledge of your subject matter.  I like how you avoided the "well the mid-late 80s had this type of tech and then the 90s really were pre-internet, but I think a kid born in 1992 could appreciate this news whereas a person born in 1970 could not, but perhaps an '85er could" endless loops.  Bravo and well done.   :)

Written By: Roadgeek on 04/14/06 at 8:17 pm

So, wasn't the internet known as the ARPANET in its early years? I don't think it became the "Internet" until the early '90s. It was probably mentioned here before.

Check for new replies or respond here...