inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 80s films you are watching for the First time?

Written By: Chris MegatronTHX on 03/27/06 at 12:28 am

This is a question mainly for people that did at least some kind of signficant growing up in the 80s, (but anyone is welcome to chime in).  Are there a lot of 80s films around that you NEVER saw?

Do you know what famous 80s movie I saw half of recently that I have never seen before?  It is Heathers.  This is outrageous that I have never seen this film before, considering it came out in 1989 and since I was 13 and 14 years old at the time, such a film about teen cliques would have been very relevant to me.  I only saw half of the film actually, and it was when I was watching it that I realized that I have never seen this film before, and I was there!!!.  I remember watching License to Drive in 1989, but not Heathers, and for 17 years I never bothered with it.  Watching it was surreal for me, because it was like watching a very dated movie that almost comes off as a period piece, and then the whole time I had to remind myself that I was likely only about 3 years younger then the characters in this movie.  That was very weird for me.  The fashions seemed a lot more gaudy and outrageous then I remember it being for 1989, but this was just so bizzare seeing this flick.

I have also never seen Sixteen Candles all the way through.  I mean I was born in 1975, I grew up in the 80s but there is still so many films and other 80s things that I never bothered with back then.  I never watched The Breakfast Club in the 80s, I remember watching it for the first time years later around 1993 or 1994.  I'm not even sure if I saw Fast Times at Ridgemont High in the 80s or not, I may have, but it could have been the 90s.  As much as I know about the 80s because I was old enough to remember so many things, there is also a ton of stuff that I was either too young for or simply never bothered with at the time.   

Subject: Re: 80s films you are watching for the First time?

Written By: Marty McFly on 03/27/06 at 12:35 am

There's actually still quite a few, and I'm glad in a way, that I still have some things to explore (mainly ones that weren't that popular, but were still vaguely "around" in the early '90s - that's when I started watching/buying movies on a regular basis).

If you can believe it, I only saw Weird Science in its entirety about a year ago. The technology may be more than a little dated, but the themes are still really relevant now (i.e. standing up for yourself, or even the bullyish older brother). You know, even if she was computer created, I really ended up liking Lisa (not just because Kelly LeBrock was hot--which she was--but she's someone that would've been a nice girlfriend, IMO. She seemed to genuinely care for the guys).

Written By: whistledog on 03/27/06 at 12:36 am

The other day, I watched 'Chances Are' on DVD, a movie from 1989 that I'd never seen before.  It was really good :)

Written By: Chris MegatronTHX on 03/27/06 at 12:39 am

That's surprsing you never saw Weird Science, just because that film was probably more popular with children then it was with teenagers.  A lot of people my age loved that film, and I've met several people your age--Marty, that like that flick.  It's more kid oriented then high school themed.

Written By: Marty McFly on 03/27/06 at 12:41 am

That's surprsing you never saw Weird Science, just because that film was probably more popular with children then it was with teenagers.  A lot of people my age loved that film, and I've met several people your age--Marty, that like that flick.  It's more kid oriented then high school themed.

True, I almost thought the same thing. The clique-ish/picking on nerds part was relatable to anyone in high school, but it does seem a bit kidlike in a way. If you took out the cussing and sexual references, it could probably be a Disney movie.

Written By: Chris MegatronTHX on 03/27/06 at 12:44 am

The whole fantasy aspect of that movie with Wyatt and Gary (yeah I remember their names!  ;) ) making a woman out of their computer had more kid appeal to it.  I saw this movie several times in the 80s, but not Breakfast Club.  I don't know why I never caught a movie of the week rerun of BC in the late 80s,...I just never did.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/27/06 at 1:40 am

The whole fantasy aspect of that movie with Wyatt and Gary (yeah I remember their names!  ;) ) making a woman out of their computer had more kid appeal to it.  I saw this movie several times in the 80s, but not Breakfast Club.  I don't know why I never caught a movie of the week rerun of BC in the late 80s,...I just never did.

Was it kind of like a Disney Channel original movie? 

Actually, John Hughes movies are kind of like what Disney channel movies would be if they were made for theaters.

Written By: nina on 03/27/06 at 4:24 am

I know this is really sad and no one believes me, but I never watched the whole movie ET, until last year. When I did, I cried. For anyone from the 80's to have never seen The Breakfast Club or Sixteen Candles, that's shameful.

Written By: stingr22 on 03/27/06 at 9:43 am

Weird Science, along with the all the other John Hughes movies (Breakfast Club, Sixteen Candles, Ferris Bueller's Day Off, Pretty In Pink, and even Some Kind Of Wonderful, though it didn't fare as well as the others) were all VERY big with teenage audiences, and was definitely not appropriate for kids - there was a brief nude scene as well as themes and language that weren't intended for kids. 

Perhaps the Jr. High crowd (11-13 year olds) was into it, but I don't think many kids below that age were.  I remember seeing it in the theater where most of the crowd was high school age.  In fact, I can't think of any friends my age (I'm 39) who didn't see Weird Science and look at it as one of many time capsules from that era that we still love and embrace today.

Written By: karen on 03/27/06 at 10:02 am

I've never seen Sixteen Candles, Pretty in Pink or Heathers.  I've watched The Breakfast Club several times but only saw it after it came out on video.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 03/27/06 at 4:39 pm

Up until a few months ago, I have never seen Real Genius before. It took me awhile to find it on DVD, but now I have a copy of it.
Same goes with Better Off Dead, which I wouldn't getting on DVD one day.

Written By: Abix on 03/27/06 at 5:04 pm

I watched Wallstreet for the first time , just last week.  I also bought the Goonies. I've always heard about it, but have never seen it. So  eventually I'll watch that one.

Written By: Foo Bar on 03/27/06 at 11:50 pm

I've never seen Sixteen Candles, Pretty in Pink or Heathers.

Stop what you're doing.  Now.  See "Heathers".  Just as funny in the '00s as it was in the '80s.  Probably even funnier, post-Columbine!

Written By: Watcher29 on 03/28/06 at 7:37 am

For anyone from the 80's to have never seen The Breakfast Club or Sixteen Candles, that's shameful.

I have never seen The Breakfast Club, not even part of it. I am unworthy of my age.

Check for new replies or respond here...