inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Space Shuttle Challenger

Written By: nina on 04/01/06 at 11:09 pm

It seems that every generation has that defining moment, where everyone can clearly remember what they were doing the day that happend. For me it was the day Challenger exploded. I was in the 8th grade and my math teacher was one of the teachers that had been in the pool as far who would go to space. Gratefully, yet sadly for Christa, my teacher wasn't chosen. I had the honor 3 years later to visit DC and see the shrine left for the Challenger astronauts. It was moving. Actually, seeing The Wall in DC was probably the most moving thing I've ever seen, it is hypnotic and over powering. The Berlin Wall coming down was probaly the second most moving things I've seen. (9/11) wasn't an 80's thing so I didn't include that.

What defining moment in the 80's has stayed with you?

Subject: Re: Space Shuttle Challenger

Written By: Watcher29 on 04/03/06 at 8:49 am

I think that was the one...

Written By: Foo Bar on 04/05/06 at 12:20 am

It seems that every generation has that defining moment, where everyone can clearly remember what they were doing the day that happend. For me it was the day Challenger exploded.

Stop what you're doing. 

Obtain a copy of Keith Leblanc's "Major Malfunction" (1986).

The whole album's a fantastic tribute to the era, but the title track ("Flight controllers here looking very carefully at the situation... obviously a major malfunction") is a must-listen for *anyone* who was around back then.

Hell, it brought tears to my eyes when NASA bureaucrats made the same mistake just a few years ago.

Written By: airsupplyairhead on 04/05/06 at 8:41 am

It seems that every generation has that defining moment, where everyone can clearly remember what they were doing the day that happend. For me it was the day Challenger exploded.

I was in my junior year of high school when that happened. A Utah teacher had been considered to be chosen to go.

The defining moment of the '80s is when Reagan was shot. I was only in 6th grade then.

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/05/06 at 9:04 am

Chernobyl, The Berlin Wall...

Written By: Sammy Reed on 04/05/06 at 7:03 pm

The defining moment of the '80s is when Reagan was shot. I was only in 6th grade then.

I too was in the 6th grade when Reagan was shot. I wonder if the kids in your school did what they did in mine? A lot of boys would be in the hall before school started the next morning, recreating the incident. They played like they were Reagan, the shooter, the Secret Service people, etc.

When the shuttle exploded, my brothers, mom, and some neighborhood kids were playing Monopoly, and I went to our bedroom to watch TV, and they had the special report where they kept replaying the crash (it already happened some time ago). I hollered at the others what happened and they all ran to the bedroom to see the report on the TV.

Check for new replies or respond here...