inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What Killed Synthpop/New Wave?

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/02/06 at 10:30 pm

It seems like synth pop and new wave plummeted in mainstream popularity around 1986, but I'm wondering if anyone here knows what killed it.

Subject: Re: What Killed Synthpop/New Wave?

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/03/06 at 3:07 am

I think it just petered out rather than got 'killed.' Just changing fashions I guess...of perhaps the market was saturated by that sort of music, with keyboards, MIDIs, new technologies becoming available to every joe who wanted to create 'electronic' music. A bit like dance/techno in the 90s, yeah maybe that's it. I think Grunge was the death knell for 80s synthpop as well...

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/03/06 at 1:02 pm

Synthpop was around in the late '80s in the form of stuff like Erasure and Depeche Mode, and synthesizers were still very influential in 1986+ music, but I think the whole synthpop form petered out as R&B-styled singers, hair metal, and fusion rock-R&B pop became popular, and just was a big force in the composition and styling of music.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/03/06 at 3:39 pm

I think it was ultimately the shift to acoustic/badass music, which started in 1986 and was complete by 1993.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 04/03/06 at 4:26 pm

New Wave is what really got the stick. I think what happened with New Wave is that it turned into that alernative stuff - it sorta passed on to a more acoustic style.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/03/06 at 4:45 pm

New Wave is what really got the stick. I think what happened with New Wave is that it turned into that alernative stuff - it sorta passed on to a more acoustic style.

Well yeah if you think about it indie is just an acoustic version of new wave.

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/03/06 at 7:27 pm

Well yeah if you think about it indie is just an acoustic version of new wave.

I think alot of what fueled grunge, from people I've talked to who were really into grunge and alt rock like the Pixies, Sonic Youth, Jane's Addiction, Liz Phair etc. in the early '90s was resentment about the '80s electronic music that they'd grown up with, and feeling like they'd been robbed of something.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/03/06 at 8:04 pm

I think alot of what fueled grunge, from people I've talked to who were really into grunge and alt rock like the Pixies, Sonic Youth, Jane's Addiction, Liz Phair etc. in the early '90s was resentment about the '80s electronic music that they'd grown up with, and feeling like they'd been robbed of something.

Although I personally feel robbed by the lack of electronic rock music ;)

Written By: Chasey on 04/09/06 at 12:50 pm

I think it just petered out rather than got 'killed.' Just changing fashions I guess...of perhaps the market was saturated by that sort of music, with keyboards, MIDIs, new technologies becoming available to every joe who wanted to create 'electronic' music. A bit like dance/techno in the 90s, yeah maybe that's it. I think Grunge was the death knell for 80s synthpop as well...

The irony is that we've now been stuck with tiresome, and increasingly pretentious Hip-Hop /RnB acts for over 10 years now - and that shows no sign of petering out...

Written By: lleelee on 04/09/06 at 1:42 pm

I agree with the previous threads that the New Wave/Synth Pop became too saturated and we all was eager for an alternative sound.  It really did reached its peak by 1986 then began to falter. I do think the Synth sound became more dance orientated after 1985 and a new sub-catergory was formed called "freestyle music" which was popular in the dance clubs of New York and Miami.

There's a band out there called MorningWood. They have a song called "Nth Degree" their sound is very retro. I swear it sounds like a New Wave song from the early 80s. ::)

Written By: Abercrombie86 on 04/09/06 at 3:21 pm

Lets not forget the indutrial Scene, From Synthpop in 1988. But obviously now Synthpop is still around. It retreated to the underground during 1987 (Depeche Mode's Black Celebration and Erasure's Wonderland were up and about and were still in the Synthpop tradition in 1986. Of course I was born then...). It was only natrural for Electronic Music in general to exist in some form. It could be things like the Fairlight and Synclavier That Brought Synthpop into a new dawn. Its Kind of disturbing when people were saying that it wasn't real music because it was realer than almost any kind of music being made. Almost like it reflected The 80's itself.

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/09/06 at 5:32 pm

I agree 1979-85/86 was probably the peak new wave years. I guess I'd call stuff like Midnight Oil's "Beds are Burning" (sometimes called Modern Rock) as the new waveish stuff for the late '80s. Even if it didn't have alot of synthesizer elements in it. Also, perhaps some of the S/A/W stuff (i.e. Bananarama's "I Heard a Rumor") could count as late '80s new wave.

Written By: KKay on 04/10/06 at 1:04 pm

Either Band Aid or just the hair in general.

I"m trying to be a smart alek. I am not sure. I certainly wasnt' happy about it.  I think it was the changes that U@ made on the music scene that evolved in to more guitar oriented pop.  Yeah. Blame them.

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/10/06 at 3:48 pm

I think the reason synth pop became so popular in the first place is that it was SO different from anything '70s. The '70s was focused on overly long, guitar-centered concept rock or extended play funk and disco. The music of the early-mid '80s was 3-4 minute, bright pop songs that conveyed a concept quickly and cleanly, like Cyndi Lauper's "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun" or a-ha's "Take On Me." In that way, it was a return to the '60s, less pretentious concept of pop music. People got sick of synth pop because it oftentimes didn't convey enough different emotions and it seems fairly cheesy and inexpressive at its worst.

The 1986-1991 period had more what came to be known as "modern rock." Like George Michael's "Faith" and "Father Figure" or Madonna's "Cherish", "Vogue" and "Open Your Heart" singles, which certainly were influenced by synth pop in their use of synthesizers but also included more other instruments and heavy R&B and soul influences.

Written By: Abercrombie86 on 04/10/06 at 4:45 pm

People got sick of synth pop because it oftentimes didn't convey enough different emotions and it seems fairly cheesy and inexpressive at its worst.

And it could Be due to Mainstream america's, As well as radio's Stubborn Unwillingness to break in a variety of Synth acts. the majority of Synthpop Music delt with issues that were happening in the day that no one was covering(even the Smiths! :o) . The synthesizer was Bastardised by over saturation from pop and rock. a lot of it was really good, and then there was the just plain bad! It was concidered a punk instrument in it's warmup days( early 80's). You had to go to the club or live in the hot spots to get an overall feel for the music. a LOT of genres born then that still exist today owe Synthpop music for their sucess. there was a major difference between Overseas Synth and US and Canadian Synth(Like the big hair they wore in the US :D). Some at least.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/10/06 at 5:06 pm

And it could Be due to Mainstream america's, As well as radio's Stubborn Unwillingness to break in a variety of Synth acts. the majority of Synthpop Music delt with issues that were happening in the day that no one was covering(even the Smiths! :o) . The synthesizer was Bastardised by over saturation from pop and rock. a lot of it was really good, and then there was the just plain bad! It was concidered a punk instrument in it's warmup days( early 80's). You had to go to the club or live in the hot spots to get an overall feel for the music. a LOT of genres born then that still exist today owe Synthpop music for their sucess. there was a major difference between Overseas Synth and US and Canadian Synth(Like the big hair they wore in the US :D). Some at least.

10 years of synthpop definitely beats 15 years of boring acoustic and bass rock.  :P

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/10/06 at 5:29 pm

10 years of synthpop definitely beats 15 years of boring acoustic and bass rock.  :P

Most really listenable synthpop combined generic synthpop with guitar, horns, percussion, etc. I think that the emo-styled dull acoustic and bass rock with no definition has gotten incredibly boring, though. Are the Smiths and the Cure really even synthpop? Or are they more new wave? But I think they fall easiest into the category of post-punk with new wave/synthpop influences.

Written By: Abercrombie86 on 04/11/06 at 10:19 am

yeah They're more of the New Wave/ Post-Punk genre. I do know the Cure used synths though.

Written By: Chasey on 04/12/06 at 9:27 am

yeah They're more of the New Wave/ Post-Punk genre. I do know the Cure used synths though.

They sure did, a classic example being 'The Walk'... :)

Written By: Abercrombie86 on 04/12/06 at 9:54 am

Hey I can play that line! :)

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/12/06 at 11:10 am

Hey I can play that line! :)

Can you play the "Just Can't Get Enough" melody on the keyboard?

Written By: Doc Brown on 04/13/06 at 11:04 am

You got that right! And the question isn't what killed Synthpop, but who. Frankly I will forever say:
Kurt Cobain----------------GUILTY! (NTM, would everyone, please, STOP comparing that punk to John Lennon?!?!?
Music was going in a primarily positive direction until Nirvana showed up, and mainstream music has been manically depressed ever since the rise of Grunge. :-rock would be a better name.

Your Pal,
Doc

8)

Check for new replies or respond here...