inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Swing Out Sister

Written By: Carl on 04/03/06 at 10:31 am

Their jazz-pop sound was great to listen to. My favorite songs are 'Twilight Wold' and 'Am I the same girl', which was really the music of the '69 hit 'Soulful Strut', but with lyrics. Which songs did you like?

Subject: Re: Swing Out Sister

Written By: whistledog on 04/03/06 at 10:52 am

I have nearly all of Swing Out Sister's CD's.  My favourite is "Am I the Same Girl" folliwed by "Breakout" and "You on My Mind" :)

It's a shame they only broke the top 40 with "Breakout".  They had so many great hits that never got a fair chance this side of the Atnaltic  :\'(

Written By: Carl on 04/03/06 at 10:59 am

Just checked their website, they are still touring, still going strong it seems.

Written By: whistledog on 04/03/06 at 11:02 am

Just checked their website, they are still touring, still going strong it seems.

They are still around yes :)

Last I heard, they have a new CD coming out, and they are doing a small US Tour

Written By: nally on 04/03/06 at 11:11 am

I have nearly all of Swing Out Sister's CD's.  My favourite is "Am I the Same Girl" folliwed by "Breakout" and "You on My Mind" :)

It's a shame they only broke the top 40 with "Breakout".  They had so many great hits that never got a fair chance this side of the Atlantic  :\'(

Well, I love "Am I The Same Girl"...that's the one that samples the instrumental classic "Soulful Strut" throughout. 8)

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 04/03/06 at 4:32 pm

Breakout seeemed like it would've been a much bigger hit. It surprises me it only barely hit the Top 40.

Written By: FaultyDog on 04/03/06 at 5:00 pm

Just checked to find out they have had four Top 40 hits over here. "Surrender" even made it to Top 10 (#7, to be exact).

I was never a big fan of SOS, but I didn't dislike their music either.

Written By: whistledog on 06/17/06 at 3:44 pm

"Am I the Same Girl" was a Top 20 hit here in Canada.  I was combing through the charts and saw it in there.  Might be why I remember it so well ;D

Written By: nally on 07/07/08 at 3:18 pm

"Am I the Same Girl" was a Top 20 hit here in Canada.  I was combing through the charts and saw it in there.  Might be why I remember it so well ;D

It probably didn't do so well on the US charts, I don't think. :( But I still love it anyways. :D

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 07/07/08 at 4:08 pm

It probably didn't do so well on the US charts, I don't think. :( But I still love it anyways. :D

According to Billboard, it only made it to #45 on the U.S. charts...

Written By: whistledog on 07/07/08 at 5:43 pm

^ it did indeed.  Here's their complete chart singles for North America and the UK ...

1987 - Breakout
1987 - Surrender
1987 - Twilight World
1987 - Fooled By A Smile
1989 - You on My Mind
1989 - Where in the World
1989 - Waiting Game
1989 - Forever Blue
1992 - Am I the Same Girl?
1992 - Notgonnachange
1994 - La La Means I Love You

Written By: coqueta83 on 07/07/08 at 7:26 pm

I've always loved "Breakout" and "Am I the Same Girl".

Written By: robby76 on 07/07/08 at 8:19 pm

I've always loved "Breakout" and "Am I the Same Girl".

These are the only two I know and love. There was a fantastic club mix of Breakout released in the late 90s which went down a treat too! It was by Seventh Sense.

http://www.htfr.com/more-info/MR138419

Written By: KKay on 07/07/08 at 9:10 pm

I liked "Breakout" when it was realesed.  i heard it recently and i didnt like it as much. I typically go in for that loungey stuff, but this time I heard it, I realised it was poorly produced and the singer was not as strong as I had thought.

Written By: Todd on 07/07/08 at 10:53 pm

I liked them.  I especially loved the video for "Am I the Same Girl" which I have on VHS...

Written By: johnny5alive on 07/07/08 at 11:39 pm

gotta love that,  breakout video!  great to see corrine and the band still together :)

Written By: midnite on 07/15/08 at 11:32 pm

Todd, nice dress. Not sure about the tights though.

I love Swing Out Sister.  Didnt care much for them in the 90s, but I recently acquired a liking for them.

Check for new replies or respond here...