inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Did Sting become better or worse through the years?

Written By: nina on 04/05/06 at 3:49 am

I love Sting's earlier songs from when he first went solo. Fortress is my favorite Sting song because it's so powerful and Russians, because it put into the perspective that back in the 80's people were taught that the Russians were kind of cold and heartless and Sting is kind of saying think about it, do we really think Russians don't love their kids. After awhile I stopped listening to him and don't know much about his later music. That threesome with Bryan Adams and ? I forget, but All for One from the 3 musketters movie, it was not the best blending of voices.

Subject: Re: Did Sting become better or worse through the years?

Written By: Windbreaker05 on 04/05/06 at 5:24 am

I also enjoy his early stuff, but I think a lot of his later stuff is also worth a listen. In the 2000's, I really enjoyed "Desert Rose" with Cheb Mami and "Stolen Car (Take Me Dancing)" and some of his others also.

Written By: KKay on 04/05/06 at 11:48 am

Someone recorded a song entitled, "I Cant believe that Sting is the same guy from The Police" or sometihg like that...
lol

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/16/06 at 2:42 pm

The songs of Gordon Sumner or as he is better known as Sting, have bettered as he as matured in age.

Written By: whistledog on 07/16/06 at 2:58 pm

Other than his work with The Police, I don't really have any favourite Sting songs from the 80s.  In his solo career, I thought he was much better in the 90s :)

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 07/19/06 at 4:46 am

I love Sting in all his various eras from the Police onwards and have seen him in concert many times. He is a great live performer.

Of his more recent recordings I think Fields of Gold is a stunning love song.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/19/06 at 4:57 am

Two other great songs by Sting, Russians and An Englishman In New York

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 07/21/06 at 11:03 am

Two other great songs by Sting, Russians and An Englishman In New York

The video clip for Russians makes me cry - even this many years later. It was a very strong song for its time.

Englishman in NY - the ode to Quentin. A sweet song and such a singalong feel to it.

Was just thinking of another one that he performed well last time I saw him live - he dragged an irish guy out of the crowd for an acoustic duo - I'm So Happy That I Cant Stop Crying.  Its about a guy going thru divorce and only spending weekends with his kids. Sting said at the concert that he wrote it for one of his best friends who was covering up his emotions and telling everyone he was fine.

Written By: Mushroom on 07/21/06 at 2:58 pm

I have always liked Sting, both solo and with The Police.

The biggest difference is that he has gotten more of a jazz sound in his later years.  However, I like Jazz so I have absolutely no problem with this at all.  In fact, one of my favorite recordings of Sting is a live performance where he did "Murder By Numbers" with a jazz sound.  And as a special guest on the recording, he has Frank Zappa performing guitar and singing.

And ironically, one of his songs was a favorite of both my ex-wife and my late fiancee.  "That is They Dance Alone (Gueca Solo)" from his 1987 album "Nothing Like The Sun".  It was a song he recorded for Amnesty International, and was about the large numbers of people who had dissapeared in Chile.  The song refered to a group of women that in order to do a "silent protest", would dance in the streets holding pictures of missing hussbands and family members.  I remember seeing a music video and it was truely haunting.

Written By: gmann on 07/22/06 at 11:29 pm

And ironically, one of his songs was a favorite of both my ex-wife and my late fiancee.  "That is They Dance Alone (Gueca Solo)" from his 1987 album "Nothing Like The Sun".  It was a song he recorded for Amnesty International, and was about the large numbers of people who had dissapeared in Chile.  The song refered to a group of women that in order to do a "silent protest", would dance in the streets holding pictures of missing hussbands and family members.  I remember seeing a music video and it was truely haunting.

Agreed. My older sister played that album quite frequently back in the day, and that song was a favorite. "Fragile" has the same ability to get inside my head.

I really can't compare Sting solo with The Police. I like 'em both. It depends on my mood.

Written By: bOBbyBroadbent on 07/26/06 at 3:14 pm

The police rocked. As a solo artist I always felt like he was playing with himself a little bit too much, however Shape Of My Heart is very very nice.

Check for new replies or respond here...