inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Dorky, huge glasses of the '80s and early '90s

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/06/06 at 2:16 pm

Why did people wear these stupid glasses during the '70s, '80s, and early '90s? You know, like Bush Sr. type frames.  Was it technology related?

Subject: Re: Dorky, huge glasses of the '80s and early '90s

Written By: JamieMcBain on 04/06/06 at 3:43 pm

Good question.

Written By: Ebontyne on 04/06/06 at 4:17 pm

Why did people wear these stupid glasses during the '70s, '80s, and early '90s? You know, like Bush Sr. type frames.  Was it technology related?

I have no idea. I had glasses all the way back in Grade 3 (1991-92, I guess), and the frames were pretty damn ugly. But I didn't replace them for many years because they just sort of expanded with my own expanding head.... Then I got contacts.

As I recall, they just didn't have nice frames back then for children.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 04/06/06 at 7:31 pm

I have no idea. Maybe what they say is true. Bigger really was better in the 80's.

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/06/06 at 7:34 pm

Glasses back in the old day were "Buddy Holly", for my parents, anyway. And girls could get the super-corny "kitten" frames. I think those huge glasses were almost cool, in a way. Like remember those huge, zig-zaggy, neon plastic sunglasses from the late '80s-mid '90s?

Written By: livinonthe80s on 04/07/06 at 3:31 am

Well, Kellie Martin in the 80s on "Life Goes On" wore those big glasses and she looked soooooo good, that I was in love with her!!!

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g78/mejapaneseboy/CopyofKellieMartin.jpg

Written By: 80s gail on 04/07/06 at 12:49 pm

Yes, I had huge glasses for years,could not be bothered to change them! Only got new smaller frames 3 years ago, now I look ultra trendy again, like I did with the big frames in the 80s!

Written By: Carl on 04/07/06 at 3:35 pm

Well, Kellie Martin in the 80s on "Life Goes On" wore those big glasses and she looked soooooo good, that I was in love with her!!!

Looks even hotter now, without them  ;)

Written By: Miss PIXIE on 04/07/06 at 5:24 pm

Yeah I had a pair of redish pink ones, but not as big as hers up there ^

Check for new replies or respond here...