inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: horror movie afficionados... what movies are these from?

Written By: Ebontyne on 04/06/06 at 3:23 pm

I have a couple vague recollections of horror movies -- or rather brief fragments of horror movies -- that my older brother must have rented when I was little, and I was hoping someone here could help me identify them. I'm not absolutely certain about the details; I highly doubt I watched these movies in full, or else I would have remembered them better. All I'm left with are fragments.

One memory involves people being eaten by a couch... or at least I think a couch was somehow directly involved. The victims may have been two girls... possibly they were twins. The other memory (probably from a different movie) is of a little boy who slowly removes pet mice from their cages in his classroom, pets them gently, and then crushes them to death with some object or other (I don't think you see their deaths happen on screen, but you at least hear them squeal).

I'm asking because until only a short while ago, I had similarly vague memories of a chicken running around without its head and of people eating monkeys, and of my brother referring to the video depicting these scenes as "illegal" or "banned." I can't tell you how excited I got when just a few months ago, by pure accident, I stumbled across information on an old exploitation film called Faces of Death -- and now I know where those childhood memories come from. Clearly my brothers weren't the greatest babysitters in the world; nonetheless, I hope to identify the scenes described in the above paragraph so as to flesh out my childhood memories a little bit better. ;) Thanks for any help! :)

Subject: Re: horror movie afficionados... what movies are these from?

Written By: nina on 04/09/06 at 5:58 am

I remember Faces of Death. The monkey scene involved I think 4 people sitting around a table with a monkey somehow stuck to the table in the middle and very slowly and painfully, when the monkey passed each person, they would hit it on the head with like a hammer and it took a long time to kill the monkey and when it was dead they ate the brains. They paid like $10,000 each to eat the brains because it was said to like give people wisdom or something like that. I remember thinking how cruel and stupid it was.

As for the other movie scenes, sorry can't help you there. :\'(

Written By: KKay on 04/10/06 at 1:07 pm

i hate to change the subject...jsut briefly...but i had tto give you karma for the great avatar.

Written By: Ebontyne on 04/12/06 at 11:12 am

i hate to change the subject...jsut briefly...but i had tto give you karma for the great avatar.

Thank you! :) My avatar is from the cover of Kate Bush's single "Cloudbusting," from her 1985 album Hounds of Love. Great album...

Unfortunately, as I don't have 100+ posts to my name yet, I can't give you karma in return.

Written By: KKay on 04/12/06 at 12:28 pm

Thank you! :) My avatar is from the cover of Kate Bush's single "Cloudbusting," from her 1985 album Hounds of Love. Great album...

Unfortunately, as I don't have 100+ posts to my name yet, I can't give you karma in return.

OH...I recognised it immedaitely...was a huge fan and have the single.  I also like the songs you chose in the "songs that relate to you" thread...I used to listen to all of those tunes over and over...
good taste!

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/12/06 at 12:39 pm

Faces of Death...never watched it on VHS, but downloaded clips from the net. I have the one of the 'pitball attack' (which was real nothing), and an attack by lions (which looks dangerous, even if it was staged), a girl getting hit by a train. I heard most of them were setups, but there was one quite disturbing one of a guy being stabbed in the neck. Gives me shivers down the spine thinking about it.

Written By: Ebontyne on 04/12/06 at 5:47 pm

OH...I recognised it immedaitely...was a huge fan and have the single.  I also like the songs you chose in the "songs that relate to you" thread...I used to listen to all of those tunes over and over...
good taste!

Thanks! I'm not sure that I posted in that thread though (it is possible I did and have already forgotten). Regardless... don't worry about changing the subject, since I don't think my topic is going to go anywhere. I'd need to ask those questions on a forum dedicated specifically to horror movies.

Have you picked up Aerial yet? :)

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/12/06 at 5:48 pm

I also want to get Aerial...but, yeah. "Cloudbusting" is one of my favorite songs.

Written By: Ebontyne on 04/12/06 at 5:52 pm

Faces of Death...never watched it on VHS, but downloaded clips from the net. I have the one of the 'pitball attack' (which was real nothing), and an attack by lions (which looks dangerous, even if it was staged), a girl getting hit by a train. I heard most of them were setups, but there was one quite disturbing one of a guy being stabbed in the neck. Gives me shivers down the spine thinking about it.

I read that some of the deaths -- especially the ones featuring humans -- were staged, although others were genuine. I haven't seen any of them since I was about 6 or 7 years old (i.e., too young for that) and don't intend to watch them again any time in the future. But it was nice to have those memories clarified. :)

Written By: Skippy on 04/13/06 at 1:00 am

One memory involves people being eaten by a couch... or at least I think a couch was somehow directly involved. The victims may have been two girls... possibly they were twins. The other memory (probably from a different movie) is of a little boy who slowly removes pet mice from their cages in his classroom, pets them gently, and then crushes them to death with some object or other (I don't think you see their deaths happen on screen, but you at least hear them squeal).

I know I've seen those. I think the boy killed the mouse by squeezing it in his hands. I seem to remember a scene that showed it after he killed it. The only thing that comes to mind are the Twilight Zone or Amazing Stories movies.

Check for new replies or respond here...