inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Modern Rock

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/10/06 at 7:54 pm

What exactly does this term mean? I've heard it used as a blanket term for synthpop, post-punk, and new wave, and including groups as diverse as Blondie, Madness, Rick Springfield, The Cars, The Talking Heads, ABC, and The Smiths. I take it to mean 1978-1985 underground rock and its descendents, including some stuff going through the late '80s.

Subject: Re: Modern Rock

Written By: whistledog on 04/10/06 at 7:57 pm

Modern Rock is a term to describe Rock Music in the mainstream.  Like a radio-friendly variation of alternative rock

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/10/06 at 9:49 pm

I think Modern Rock is a pretty useless and misleading term.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 04/10/06 at 9:56 pm

A generic radio term (ie: it's not used much outside of radio) to describe basically any mainstream rock music usually made in the last 15 years.

I've never heard any 80s rock (or earlier) considered "modern rock", "classic rock" is is more the generic term used for anything rock made before 1990-1991.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 04/10/06 at 9:58 pm

Wikipedia describes it as a "radio-friendly" variation of alternative rock.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 04/11/06 at 12:12 am

I've never heard anything called "modern rock" past 1991 except early grunge or late 80's alternative.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/11/06 at 12:54 am

A generic radio term (ie: it's not used much outside of radio) to describe basically any mainstream rock music usually made in the last 15 years.

I've never heard any 80s rock (or earlier) considered "modern rock", "classic rock" is is more the generic term used for anything rock made before 1990-1991.

I would say New Wave, underground '80s, etc. is "modern rock", but most mainstream rock I would define as "classic" if it was released before Nirvana's Nevermind, so basically 1955-1990/'91.

Written By: Windbreaker05 on 04/11/06 at 6:51 am

It's used by radio stations and Billboard for the sake of tracking general popular rock music, but stylistically I don't think it has any specific implications.

Check for new replies or respond here...