inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Some Thoughts on '80s Fashion

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/10/06 at 8:05 pm

I've always sort of liked '80s fashion, though it was a return to some of the very heavily tailored and standardized looks of the '40s-mid '60s era. The '70s were more of a free-for-all fashion wise, you could find a niche anywhere in that mess. The '80s struck me as much more standardized-with some of the dictatorial looks like the bright red lipstick, skinny pants, ballet flats, big airbrushed hair, preppie polos, fluffy ra-ra miniskirts and big bows on dresses, sweaters, etc. that were so excessively popular in the mid-late '80s. In alot of ways, it was a brief return to the '40s and '50s. New wave fashion, with the skinny suits and ties, baggy pants with the buttons, and big plastic jewelry, and angular hairdoes and hats, is so '40s, and the later aforementioned mid-late '80s stuff is very '50s, though the yuppie women's suits and the angular short hair/big jewelry/baggy shaped sweater with shoulder pads is sort of '40s.

One thing which really defines an '80s look is the makeup and hair. People just don't wear that bright red lipstick with the perfectly airbrushed looking hair and the miniature patterns. There are alot of '80s things which you could get away with now without looking like an '80s clone, but that takes it over the border to "clone" rather than "influence."

I think the '80s is coming back more and more in '00s fashion, with the super-angular folds, feminine adornments, popularity of sweaters and floppy cowl necks, miniskirts with bows and leggings, big highlighted hair and excessive makeup, layered sweaters, super-preppie look, pearls, and hair ribbons that are currently in vogue.

Decade Influences:

'80s: '40s, '50s, and early-mid '60s.
'90s: Late '60s and '70s.
'00s: Residual '70s themes and lots of '80s. We're sort of in a neo-'70s/'80s thing, combining elements of both. Though I think the '80s element is getting stronger.

Subject: Re: Some Thoughts on '80s Fashion

Written By: deadrockstar on 04/11/06 at 12:33 am

My thoughts on 80s fashion: UUUUUUUUUUGGGGGLLLLLLYYYY.

Seriously. I've always thought this.  I find it especially unattractive on women.  Hair that looks you stuck your finger in a lightsocket, shoulder pads, dresses with the puffy sleeves(you know the ones i mean?)- NO THANKS. ;D

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/11/06 at 12:52 am

My thoughts on 80s fashion: UUUUUUUUUUGGGGGLLLLLLYYYY.

Seriously. I've always thought this.  I find it especially unattractive on women.  Hair that looks you stuck your finger in a lightsocket, shoulder pads, dresses with the puffy sleeves(you know the ones i mean?)- NO THANKS. ;D

I kind of like the '00s fashion on women, hair that's straight but not '90s straight, hoop earrings, blue jeans, etc.  The '90s women outfits were too plain, and the '80s one too excessive.

Written By: deadrockstar on 04/11/06 at 12:55 am

I kind of like the '00s fashion on women, hair that's straight but not '90s straight, hoop earrings, blue jeans, etc.  The '90s women outfits were too plain, and the '80s one too excessive.

I agree, Donnie.  Women's fashion is one of the things I do like about the 2000s(along with the good comic book movies, mp3s, some indie rock bands, Grand Theft Auto, and maybe some other things i forget at the moment)..

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/11/06 at 12:56 am

I agree, Donnie.  Women's fashion is one of the things I do like about the 2000s(along with the good comic book movies, mp3s, some indie rock bands, Grand Theft Auto, and maybe some other things i forget at the moment)..

That's not to say there weren't any good '80s fashions.  Molly Ringwald looked pretty hot in her movies.  I like the more laid back '80s styles; it's that curly, puffy blonde hair I despise the most.  I can't say I like mullets either.

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/11/06 at 5:09 am

Womens fashion today is fine, but a bit boring. Well, mens casual fashion is probably even more boring. Come to think, it would be nice if we could dress up in frills and colours - like Jimmy Hendrix at Monterey. The 80s at least had character. Though I think as bad as the clothing and apparel were some of the hairstyles...eek.

Check for new replies or respond here...