inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 1989

Written By: Roadgeek on 04/11/06 at 1:46 pm

Surprised to see me hanging around the '80s section?

This topic might have already been started, but what was 1989 like? That was the year I was born and I've sort of gained an interest in it. This was the year the Berlin Wall fell, right?

Subject: Re: 1989

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/11/06 at 2:40 pm

1989 was the year I was conceived in.  It seemed interesting enough, not 1984 interesting, but it was a good year of the '80s.

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/11/06 at 4:57 pm

1989 was actually a great year.

-Some awesome albums: Like a Prayer, Doolittle, Paul's Boutique
-The beginning of the end of the cold war.
-Seinfeld and The Simpsons are originated.

Written By: Chris MegatronTHX on 04/11/06 at 9:41 pm

I liked it.  I thought it was a good year.  1989 was my last year of middle school and in the fall I entered high school at the age of 14.   Great summer for popcorn movies with Batman, Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, License to Kill, Ghostbusters 2, Lethal Weapon 2.  In the fall Back to the Future Part II came out.  The movies of 1990 were never so good.  The 8 bit Nintendo and Sega systems were still huge at the time.  I was not old enough to really ever go out and clubbing at any time in the 80s, but I think it would have been cool to have been an older teenager or in your 20s during the late 80s.   

I know I've evolved.  I read this question "hey what was 1989 like?" and I don't even feel old or phased by it anymore like I used to.  I'm so used to the fact that there is a new generation around that simply wasn't around for the 80s, even the late 80s or early 90s, and with a fragmented memory of the mid 90s.  I've figured it out and part of me knows you guys really do know that the 80s and early 90s weren't nearly as long ago as you like to pretend it was.  Even if you were born in 1989 or 1990, or born in 1991, I know you know this.  You guys tend to feign ignorance and give an attitude of those times as being 19th century like "historical eras" more for our sake.  Even I didn't honestly think of the 70s as total history back when I was a kid in the 80s and 90s.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/11/06 at 10:36 pm

I liked it.  I thought it was a good year.  1989 was my last year of middle school and in the fall I entered high school at the age of 14.   Great summer for popcorn movies with Batman, Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, License to Kill, Ghostbusters 2, Lethal Weapon 2.  In the fall Back to the Future Part II came out.  The movies of 1990 were never so good.  The 8 bit Nintendo and Sega systems were still huge at the time.  I was not old enough to really ever go out and clubbing at any time in the 80s, but I think it would have been cool to have been an older teenager or in your 20s during the late 80s.   

I know I've evolved.  I read this question "hey what was 1989 like?" and I don't even feel old or phased by it anymore like I used to.  I'm so used to the fact that there is a new generation around that simply wasn't around for the 80s, even the late 80s or early 90s, and with a fragmented memory of the mid 90s.  I've figured it out and part of me knows you guys really do know that the 80s and early 90s weren't nearly as long ago as you like to pretend it was.  Even if you were born in 1989 or 1990, or born in 1991, I know you know this.  You guys tend to feign ignorance and give an attitude of those times as being 19th century like "historical eras" more for our sake.  Even I didn't honestly think of the 70s as total history back when I was a kid in the 80s and 90s.

Oh no, I know they're werent that different.  Hell, I was conceived in 1989. 

Would you say that if someone was transported back to 1989, they'd be underwhelmed at the difference (let's say their entire house, computers and all went along). 

Written By: Electric Youth on 04/11/06 at 10:42 pm

Deborah Gibson releases her second "Electric Youth",  though faded in 1990 with "Anything Is Possible", which went gold and the title track  had a minor hit , but was forgotten.

Written By: whistledog on 04/11/06 at 10:45 pm

1989 was the year "I Beg Your Pardon" by Kon Kan reached the UK Top 40, which was quite rare for a Canadian song in the 80's

Written By: Chris MegatronTHX on 04/12/06 at 1:28 am

Oh no, I know they're werent that different.  Hell, I was conceived in 1989. 

Would you say that if someone was transported back to 1989, they'd be underwhelmed at the difference (let's say their entire house, computers and all went along). 

Well it depends.  A bush tribe in 1989 would likely the same as a bush tribe in 2006.  I know, you are talking about the industrialized Western world, United States specifically...but I want to open your mind to the idea that some parts of the world would be no different from now and the 80s.  Everyone always thinks they are living in the most hard edged, gritty and bad a$$ times ever, and anything before is kinda weak in comparison.

Waking up in America 1989?  Yeah I think you would notice a difference.  Not ancient Rome difference, but you'd notice a difference.  No world wide web.  So limited internet access, and limited cell phone access.  This is the main difference.  No DVDs, but laserdiscs are around, but not available for rent.  Would you mind playing Duck Hunt or Super Mario Bros. on the old 8 bit Nintendo instead of Final Fantasy?

1989 was a good year IMO.  The more I think about the 80s, the more I realize that you should honestly talk to people older then me about the decade.  I mean seriously, I was a child through most of the decade.  I can't tell you about the cooler, more night life aspects of the decade, not even the late 80s.  People in their late 30s or early 40s would have more adult view on the 80s.   

Written By: Watcher29 on 04/12/06 at 8:34 am

1989 was the year I graduated from high school and entered college. So it was a year of big changes for me, and for the world. The Cold War was ending, the World Wide Web was beginning to evolve from something colleges and government used to something everybody wanted to use. If you were transplanted from 2006 to 1989 you wouldn't find it an alien world (at least I wouldn't, but then I lived it). Punk was still big, computers weren't as advanced, and there was still a World Trade Center in New York. Lots of old buildings now gone were still being used. Other than that, people then were a lot like people now.

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/12/06 at 10:28 am

1989 was the year I was conceived in.  It seemed interesting enough, not 1984 interesting, but it was a good year of the '80s.

I guess that qualifies you, in a roundabout way, as an 80s kid then?

Written By: batfan2005 on 04/12/06 at 10:41 am

1989 was kind of like 2005. Both years had natural disasters that had national attention (1989 had the S.F. earthquake, while 2005 had Hurricane Katrina). Both years had good summer movies (1989 had Batman, Indiana Jones III, Ghostbusters 2, Licence to Kill, the Abyss, Lethal Weapon 2, Uncle Buck; while 2005 had Batman Begins, Star Wars III, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Mr. and Mrs. Smith, War of the Worlds, Dukes of Hazzard, Wedding Crashers). Also in '89, the Nintendo Gameboy first came out, and the Sony PSP came out in 2005. In pop-culture, Madonna caused controversy with the Pepsi commercial in '89, just as Paris Hilton caused controversy with her burger commercial '05. The general pop-culture of both of those years were oriented towards younger people, making way for the next generation to rise. Those years were also similar politically and economically. Furthermore, 1989 and 2005 were similar in my life (except that I'm 16 years older, of course). I travelled a lot in both of those years. The other unfortunate similarity is that their succeeding years (1990 and 2006) were/are both kind of a drag because they are not living up to the expectations that their preceding years gave me.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/12/06 at 11:12 am

I guess that qualifies you, in a roundabout way, as an 80s kid then?

I suppose in the most technical sense  ;D

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/12/06 at 11:14 am

Well it depends.  A bush tribe in 1989 would likely the same as a bush tribe in 2006.  I know, you are talking about the industrialized Western world, United States specifically...but I want to open your mind to the idea that some parts of the world would be no different from now and the 80s.  Everyone always thinks they are living in the most hard edged, gritty and bad a$$ times ever, and anything before is kinda weak in comparison.

Waking up in America 1989?  Yeah I think you would notice a difference.  Not ancient Rome difference, but you'd notice a difference.  No world wide web.  So limited internet access, and limited cell phone access.  This is the main difference.  No DVDs, but laserdiscs are around, but not available for rent.  Would you mind playing Duck Hunt or Super Mario Bros. on the old 8 bit Nintendo instead of Final Fantasy?

1989 was a good year IMO.  The more I think about the 80s, the more I realize that you should honestly talk to people older then me about the decade.  I mean seriously, I was a child through most of the decade.  I can't tell you about the cooler, more night life aspects of the decade, not even the late 80s.  People in their late 30s or early 40s would have more adult view on the 80s.   

Yeah, I often feel this way about the '90s ... sure I lived through the whole decade (save a couple weeks at the beginning, LOL) but I was less than 5 for half of them, even if in some ways 2006 is not hugely different from the second half of the '90s. 

About the Internet, though, doesn't the whole world have Internet kiosks?  Still, I'm pretty sure there's still billions of people who have never seen a computer before.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 04/12/06 at 11:58 am

I was 2 in 1989 so I dont really remember it but it actually dosen't seem that long ago to me at all. I mean I was alive so it couldn't really feel ancient to me because I was there. Since 1989 is the first year I have memories from its really hard to believe it was almost 20 years ago.

But yeah, '89 was a pretty cool year. Alot of good movies and music that year.

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/12/06 at 12:01 pm

The earliest memory I can remember (which is kind of the definition of a 'memory' something u can remember, lol)...occured around 1989 when I was three. I was in daycare and I had a teenage mutant ninja turtles action figure. I remember the girl working there took it away (I couldn't think why) and I bawled my eyes out. I also remember going to the zoo. But they seem lost in the mists of time...

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 04/12/06 at 12:09 pm

The earliest memory I can remember (which is kind of the definition of a 'memory' something u can remember, lol)...occured around 1989 when I was three. I was in daycare and I had a teenage mutant ninja turtles action figure. I remember the girl working there took it away (I couldn't think why) and I bawled my eyes out. I also remember going to the zoo. But they seem lost in the mists of time...

Yeah, I have a few vauge memories from 1989/1990 like,for example, going to see the TMNT movie when it came out in mid-1990. It's not a very defined memory just bits and peices. I guess the first actual memory I have is from 1989 is us moving into a new house that year. It's very very vauge but i'm pretty sure I actually remember it.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/12/06 at 12:09 pm

Yeah, I have a few vauge memories from 1989/1990 like,for example, going to see the TMNT movie when it came out in mid-1990. It's not a very defined memory just bits and peices. I guess the first actual memory I have is from 1989 is us moving into a new house that year. It's very very vauge but i'm pretty sure I actually remember it.

I can remember back to 1993ish, maybe 1992.  Again, it's not really defined until like 1994 or so.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 04/12/06 at 12:12 pm

I can remember back to 1993ish, maybe 1992.  Again, it's not really defined until like 1994 or so.

Yeah, I think you have to be at least 4 or 5 before your memories really become defined. My first defined memories are from when I started Pre-K in 1991 and actual school in 1992.

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/12/06 at 12:17 pm

I'm starting to think of, say 1988-mid 1991 as the "Suburban Ninja Turtles era" - there just was this certain feel to it that suburban kids would feel totally at home in. Whether it was with pizza delivery while playing NES games, or watching Full House, or listening to Bon Jovi and Def Leppard songs.

It also had an "in between" feel - it wasn't the Duran Duran, Footloose and Pac Man 1984 '80s, but it also wasn't grunge and gangsta rap either like 1993 was. I guess the feel was more '80s, but with more modern technology (i.e. CDs were getting popular, as were computers, even if the Internet was still a few years off).

BTW I was 7 and turned 8 that year. I sometimes think that was the perfect age in that I was old enough to enjoy the year and have a perfect memory (I'll recall 1989 stuff with clarity till the day I die, unlike, say 1985 which gets quite fuzzy sometimes, despite my love of it), but young enough to not really have to worry about life either.

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/12/06 at 12:21 pm

I was also conceived in 1989 (July.)

Written By: Roadgeek on 04/12/06 at 12:23 pm

Just to let you know, my earliest memories dates back as far as 1992 when I was about 2 or 3. Probably Halloween of '92.

I went online and found out the #1 song on the day I was born (November 27, 1989). It was "Blame it on the Rain" by Milli Vanilli.

I was born at 11:30 AM and from what I heard, the doctor who was helping delivering me was watching The Price is Right. The second I was born, Rod Roddy yelled "Come on Down". Weird, huh?

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/12/06 at 12:24 pm

I'm starting to think of, say 1988-mid 1991 as the "Suburban Ninja Turtles era" - there just was this certain feel to it that suburban kids would feel totally at home in. Whether it was with pizza delivery while playing NES games, or watching Full House, or listening to Bon Jovi and Def Leppard songs.

It also had an "in between" feel - it wasn't the Duran Duran, Footloose and Pac Man 1984 '80s, but it also wasn't grunge and gangsta rap either like 1993 was. I guess the feel was more '80s, but with more modern technology (i.e. CDs were getting popular, as were computers, even if the Internet was still a few years off).

BTW I was 7 and turned 8 that year. I sometimes think that was the perfect age in that I was old enough to enjoy the year and have a perfect memory (I'll recall 1989 stuff with clarity till the day I die, unlike, say 1985 which gets quite fuzzy sometimes, despite my love of it), but young enough to not really have to worry about life either.

I would agree with this.  However, I think these "Pizza Days" sort of stretched as late as 1997, in the sense of sheer lifestyle.  Little kids didn't really use the Internet much in the '90s, and the Ninja Turtles/Super Mario games, while certainly past their prime were still vaguely around.  But yeah, I think c. 1990 is the most "suburban" era you can get.  It's definitely more '80s than '90s, that 1988-mid 1991 period, but it's like you said more hi tech (I'd say 1991 is when computers really became ubuitiquous, i.e. that's when DJ from Full House got one), and the culture is a little more cutting edge/urban then the early and mid '80s, but not over-the-top like the mid and late '90s.
For instance, you had The Simpsons and Married With Children instead of South Park and Family Guy.

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/12/06 at 12:24 pm

Isn't it funny, though, how we sometimes remember stuff differently than it really was? I think age 4 is around when you can recall details. For instance, one of the houses we lived in, we moved out of in October 1985 (BTTF's present time ;) ) when I had just turned 4.

I actually do have some extremely vague memories of the house - walking around on the huge tile floor near the front door (I remember it was cold, lol), or seeing something on TV. Ya know, very very little stuff like that, but when I look at pictures we took at the time, it's not quite as I seem to remember it being. To me at the time, it seemed like a castle.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/12/06 at 12:25 pm

Just to let you know, my earliest memories dates back as far as 1992 when I was about 2 or 3. Probably Halloween of '92.

I went online and found out the #1 song on the day I was born (November 27, 1989). It was "Blame it on the Rain" by Milli Vanilli.

I was born at 11:30 AM and from what I heard, the doctor who was helping delivering me was watching The Price is Right. The second I was born, Rod Roddy yelled "Come on Down". Weird, huh?

That's funny.  You're like within 2 months of my age (I'm January 16, 1990, sigh).

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 04/12/06 at 12:27 pm

Isn't it funny, though, how we sometimes remember stuff differently than it really was? I think age 4 is around when you can recall details. For instance, one of the houses we lived in, we moved out of in October 1985 (BTTF's present time ;) ) when I had just turned 4.

I actually do have some extremely vague memories of the house - walking around on the huge tile floor near the front door (I remember it was cold, lol), or seeing something on TV. Ya know, very very little stuff like that, but when I look at pictures we took at the time, it's not quite as I seem to remember it being. To me at the time, it seemed like a castle.

I know what you mean. The house we moved into in '89 seemed really big at the time but I drove by it a few months ago and now it looks really small in comparison to how I remember it.

Written By: Roadgeek on 04/12/06 at 12:27 pm

I was conceived in a weird way. I was conceived in August of 1989. Between August and November, that ain't no 9 months. I wasn't a pre-mature birth either. I should have been conceived around March. Oh well. They also thought I was going to be a girl by the way. They bought all of these baby girl clothes for me and the day I was born, surprise!

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/12/06 at 12:27 pm

I definitely know what you mean.  For instance, whenever I go back to the Bay Area, it always seems like a miniature replica of the bay area I remember.  There's this place in Concord called The Jungle, and when I was a little kid it seemed like a ... well, jungle!  ;D  When I went back it seemed more like three or four McDonald's playplaces stuck together.  ;D

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/12/06 at 12:27 pm

I would agree with this.  However, I think these "Pizza Days" sort of stretched as late as 1997, in the sense of sheer lifestyle.  Little kids didn't really use the Internet much in the '90s, and the Ninja Turtles/Super Mario games, while certainly past their prime were still vaguely around.  But yeah, I think c. 1990 is the most "suburban" era you can get.  It's definitely more '80s than '90s, that 1988-mid 1991 period, but it's like you said more hi tech (I'd say 1991 is when computers really became ubuitiquous, i.e. that's when DJ from Full House got one), and the culture is a little more cutting edge/urban then the early and mid '80s, but not over-the-top like the mid and late '90s.
For instance, you had The Simpsons and Married With Children instead of South Park and Family Guy.

Roseanne also felt very of this time. I know what you mean, though -- in all, the "suburban pizza" era could've been 1986-98 or thereabouts (the Internet didn't get totally household until 1999 or '00).

P.S. I was just thinking about DJ's computer the other day, too. I saw a 1993 ep I think, and thought, Oh, she's going online, before I realized Oh wait, it wasn't until 1996ish that it even started being popular! Actually, right about the time the show ended even.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/12/06 at 12:28 pm

I was conceived in a weird way. I was conceived in August of 1989. Between August and November, that ain't no 9 months. I wasn't a pre-mature birth either. I should have been conceived around March. Oh well. They also thought I was going to be a girl by the way. They bought all of these baby girl clothes for me and the day I was born, surprise!

So I guess I'm technically older than you!

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/12/06 at 12:30 pm

Roseanne also felt very of this time. I know what you mean, though -- in all, the "suburban pizza" era could've been 1986-98 or thereabouts (the Internet didn't get totally household until 1999 or '00).

P.S. I was just thinking about DJ's computer the other day, too. I saw a 1993 ep I think, and thought, Oh, she's going online, before I realized Oh wait, it wasn't until 1996ish that it even started being popular! Actually, right about the time the show ended even.

Does she ever mention the Internet in the show?

Yeah, the Net really was only beginning to become popular just about the time FH ended.  During the early 1990s computers were more for games, printing things, etc.  than for going online.  The Internet boom was really almost entirely in the second half of the '90s, and in the early '00s.

Written By: Roadgeek on 04/12/06 at 12:31 pm

I didn't get my first computer until December of 1995 and wasn't online until early 1996.

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/12/06 at 12:32 pm

I definitely know what you mean.  For instance, whenever I go back to the Bay Area, it always seems like a miniature replica of the bay area I remember.  There's this place in Concord called The Jungle, and when I was a little kid it seemed like a ... well, jungle!  ;D  When I went back it seemed more like three or four McDonald's playplaces stuck together.  ;D

Towns seem smaller too as we grow up, don't they?

From 1986-90 (the age of 4 3/4 to barely 9) we lived in Rohnert Park, and I always thought there was alot to do and explore there. But, there was an empty field at the Highway 101 exit when we lived there, that a Wal Mart/huge shopping center was built on a few years later. One time in 1994 when I was 12, we went up there and drove around a bit, and even then I remember thinking, D*mn, there wasn't as much here as I thought there was when I was 6! Even with this new shopping center, it's a small town! ;D

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 04/12/06 at 12:33 pm

Yeah, the Net really was only beginning to become popular just about the time FH ended.  During the early 1990s computers were more for games, printing things, etc.  than for going online.  The Internet boom was really almost entirely in the second half of the '90s, and in the early '00s.

Chat rooms were pretty big in 1995, but the internet didn't become household until about 1996 or '97.

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/12/06 at 12:34 pm

I was also conceived in 1989 (July.)

I hope you didn't learn that information from your parents  :)

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/12/06 at 12:34 pm

Towns seem smaller too as we grow up, don't they?

From 1986-90 (the age of 4 3/4 to barely 9) we lived in Rohnert Park, and I always thought there was alot to do and explore there. But, there was an empty field at the Highway 101 exit when we lived there, that a Wal Mart/huge shopping center was built on a few years later. One time in 1994 when I was 12, we went up there and drove around a bit, and even then I remember thinking, D*mn, there wasn't as much here as I thought there was when I was 6! Even with this new shopping center, it's a small town! ;D

;D

Yeah they really do.  I guess it's because in a sense, they actually are smaller, since you're bigger.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/12/06 at 12:35 pm

Chat rooms were pretty big in 1995, but the internet didn't become household until about 1996 or '97.

Didn't some people get Net access from the library back then?

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/12/06 at 12:36 pm

Marty, is this the shopping center you're speaking of?  :)

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 04/12/06 at 12:36 pm

Yeah, back in the mid-90's the library here used to be filled up with people using the computers to get online esp. in about 1995 and 1996.

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/12/06 at 12:37 pm

Do you still have free internet in your public libraries? We still do over here.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/12/06 at 12:38 pm

Do you still have free internet in your public libraries? We still do over here.

Yeah, 15 minutes free, an hour with a card.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 04/12/06 at 12:39 pm

Yeah, we still do here too but since alot more people have internet acess and computers at home its not as filled up as it once was.

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/12/06 at 12:43 pm

I've lived in my house my whole life. I'd say my first memory is probably tied between going on vacation to the Poconoes when I was 2, going to a mommy and me program when I was 2 and starting Pre-K, and waking up in bed when I was 1. I have a really good memory.

In some ways, the "Pizza" days stretched until 2002. I have alot of memories of being at friends' houses wen I was in "older" elementary school and ordering pizza and watching people play Super Mario games, though we spent some time on the computer. I like the way you put the 1988-mid 1991 period as the most suburban. In most ways it was-the cities were at their most depopulated and there was a baby boom beginning that brought young families to the 'burbs in droves.

1988-1991 is like a "newer" '80s. Certainly, there weren't as many video arcades and there was alt rock, and computers, home video games, VCRs, calculators, cable, etc. became ubiquitous. With this stuff, it seems alot more like a modern version of say 1984-the VERY '80s period. Also, there were alot of things from then that were new and uncommon with the earlier '80s (at least in terms of extreme popularity): hair metal, the very ladylike and ra-ra fashions, R&B and alt rock, a generally darker feel, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, mainstream rap, prime-time animation, etc. But the overall culture was still the '80s. It's the very end of the '80s, but it's still the '80s. That's always the '80s I could get a feel for by being a suburban kid in the mid-late '90s, more than the classic '80s.

Do you think there's credence to saying the '80s was the absolute whitest, most suburban decade? The '60s '70s were very black with funk, soul, and disco, but the only black stars in the '80s were heavily sanitized, like Michael Jackson and Whitney Houston, or totally unique, like Prince. There were just as many suburbanites in the '90s and '00s as '80s, but the white suburban teen then had a total control over culture. Maybe it had something to do with Reagan.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 04/12/06 at 12:49 pm

1988-1991 is like a "newer" '80s. Certainly, there weren't as many video arcades and there was alt rock, and computers, home video games, VCRs, calculators, cable, etc. became ubiquitous. With this stuff, it seems alot more like a modern version of say 1984-the VERY '80s period. Also, there were alot of things from then that were new and uncommon with the earlier '80s (at least in terms of extreme popularity): hair metal, the very ladylike and ra-ra fashions, R&B and alt rock, a generally darker feel, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, mainstream rap, prime-time animation, etc. But the overall culture was still the '80s. It's the very end of the '80s, but it's still the '80s. That's always the '80s I could get a feel for by being a suburban kid in the mid-late '90s, more than the classic '80s.

I agree. I'd say 1988-1991 or early 1992 is mostly a transition peroid between the 80's and 90's. There were still alot of 80's trends but things started to tilt toward the 90's. For example power ballads became more acousitc("Every rose has it's thorn" by Poision, "More than words" by Extreme, and "Love song" by Tesla). And Gangsta rap started to pop up in '88 as well.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/12/06 at 12:51 pm

I've lived in my house my whole life. I'd say my first memory is probably tied between going on vacation to the Poconoes when I was 2, going to a mommy and me program when I was 2 and starting Pre-K, and waking up in bed when I was 1. I have a really good memory.

In some ways, the "Pizza" days stretched until 2002. I have alot of memories of being at friends' houses wen I was in "older" elementary school and ordering pizza and watching people play Super Mario games, though we spent some time on the computer. I like the way you put the 1988-mid 1991 period as the most suburban. In most ways it was-the cities were at their most depopulated and there was a baby boom beginning that brought young families to the 'burbs in droves.

Do you think there's credence to saying the '80s was the absolute whitest, most suburban decade? The '60s '70s were very black with funk, soul, and disco, but the only black stars in the '80s were heavily sanitized, like Michael Jackson and Whitney Houston, or totally unique, like Prince. There were just as many suburbanites in the '90s and '00s as '80s, but the white suburban teen then had a total control over culture. Maybe it had something to do with Reagan.

I definitely think the '80s were the "whitest" decade.  The '60s and '70s were very black, the '90s and moreso the '00s are very black, but the '80s were very white.  Even a lot of the black people in the '80s liked white music.

1988-1991 is more the end of the '80s, like you said, than the beginning of the '90s.  Very weak '80s, but '80s nonetheless. It's more like 1984 than 1994 overall.  MC Hammer, the B-52s, even early Mariah Carey and Boyz II Men tracks seem more tail-end '80s than primitive '90s.  The '90s (and in some ways, the '00s) really began with two albums: Nevermind and The Chronic.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/12/06 at 12:52 pm

I agree. I'd say 1988-1991 or early 1992 is mostly a transition peroid between the 80's and 90's. There were still alot of 80's trends but things started to tilt toward the 90's. For example power ballads became more acousitc("Every rose has it's thorn" by Poision, "More than words" by Extreme, and "Love song" by Tesla). And Gangsta rap started to pop up in '88 as well.

Yeah, it's more the end of the '80s than the beginning of the '90s, even if some (very) primitive '90s things were around.

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/12/06 at 12:52 pm

I just don't get how some people can remember things from when they were 1 or 2. The earliest I remember was aged 3 or 4...

But anyway, you raise a good point about the 80s being the 'whitest, most suburban decade.' I think, in some aspects, this relates to not so much culture but urban geography. The 80s were the height of Urban blight/delapidation - in other words, the cities were at their worst in the 80s with crime problems.etc, so the social nexus - which had shifted to the suburbs nearly 30 years before - was consolidated. Mainstream American culture has always predominantly been 'white', but the sheer dominance of suburban culture was probably the defining feature of the 70s and 80s. The cause of the increase influence of 'black' artists was in part caused by the adoption of a more 'urban lifestyle.'

Written By: Roadgeek on 04/12/06 at 1:22 pm

I remember around 1993 and 1994 seeing a few '80s gems sticking around at some stores like K-Mart and Roses.

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/12/06 at 2:41 pm

I definitely think the '80s were the "whitest" decade.  The '60s and '70s were very black, the '90s and moreso the '00s are very black, but the '80s were very white.  Even a lot of the black people in the '80s liked white music.

1988-1991 is more the end of the '80s, like you said, than the beginning of the '90s.  Very weak '80s, but '80s nonetheless. It's more like 1984 than 1994 overall.  MC Hammer, the B-52s, even early Mariah Carey and Boyz II Men tracks seem more tail-end '80s than primitive '90s.  The '90s (and in some ways, the '00s) really began with two albums: Nevermind and The Chronic.

It's a "modern" '80s with alot of proto-'90s stuff, or trends that began around 1988 and peaked c. 1994-1996.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/12/06 at 2:43 pm

It's a "modern" '80s with alot of proto-'90s stuff, or trends that began around 1988 and peaked c. 1994-1996.

Definitely. Just like 1998-9/10/01 is a more modern '90s.

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/12/06 at 2:49 pm

I think the main difference between say 1984 and 1991, even 1988 is that the 1988-1991 period was somewhat "blacker." For example, stuff like Whitney Houston, Boyz II Men, and true hip-hop and freestyle were becoming popular around 1988. The 1982-1987 period in some ways was PAINFULLY white suburban John Hughes teenager. Maybe it had something to do with having very white, old, suburban presidents like Reagan and Bush Sr. around, who had a very '50s view of America to an extent that lent itself well to the '80s. I also think the '10s will be very dominated by white music but give way to a new kind of black music, like the '50s and '80s did. Maybe part of it was a backlash against the extremely black '70s. The '50s-early '60s and '80s-early '90s together are probably the most suburban, whitest periods. The '20s-'40s period was black compared to the '50s, ultimately. I also think traditional black music hit a standstill in the early '80s after disco and funk died, after the blues, doo-wop, trad soul (a la Otis Redding) did. The 1986ish period saw the development of R&B (Whitney Houston typifies this) and rap into black cultural phenomenons.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/12/06 at 2:51 pm

I think the main difference between say 1984 and 1991, even 1988 is that the 1988-1991 period was somewhat "blacker." For example, stuff like Whitney Houston, Boyz II Men, and true hip-hop and freestyle were becoming popular around 1988. The 1982-1987 period in some ways was PAINFULLY white suburban John Hughes teenager. Maybe it had something to do with having very white, old, suburban presidents like Reagan and Bush Sr. around, who had a very '50s view of America to an extent that lent itself well to the '80s. I also think the '10s will be very dominated by white music but give way to a new kind of black music, like the '50s and '80s did. Maybe part of it was a backlash against the extremely black '70s. The '50s-early '60s and '80s-early '90s together are probably the most suburban, whitest periods. The '20s-'40s period was black compared to the '50s, ultimately. I also think traditional black music hit a standstill in the early '80s after disco and funk died, after the blues, doo-wop, trad soul (a la Otis Redding) did. The 1986ish period saw the development of R&B (Whitney Houston typifies this) and rap into black cultural phenomenons.

I agree.  The late '80s were definitely more urban.  Even really white music like Rick Astley had a "jungle" early '90s type beat to it.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 04/12/06 at 7:40 pm

I agree.  The late '80s were definitely more urban.  Even really white music like Rick Astley had a "jungle" early '90s type beat to it.

Yeah, probably because of rap reaching mainstream auidences in the late 80's.

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/12/06 at 8:21 pm

They say Disco sort of helped break down barriers of sex, race.etc, whereas Punk/New Wave was a distinctly 'white phenomena' (especially Punk). Maybe that was part of the reason?

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/12/06 at 8:21 pm

They say Disco sort of helped break down barriers of sex, race.etc, whereas Punk/New Wave was a distinctly 'white phenomena' (especially Punk). Maybe that was part of the reason?

New Wave is an extremely white thing, and MTV didn't help that.

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/12/06 at 8:22 pm

Prince's Dirty Mind was a new wave-ish album by a black artist, so it really crossed boundaries. Other distinctively white movements include hair metal and indie rock (though it's gotten whiter since the mid-'90s.) Most popular '80s genres, like new wave and hair metal, are oh-so-white.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/12/06 at 8:23 pm

Prince's Dirty Mind was a new wave-ish album by a black artist, so it really crossed boundaries. Other distinctively white movements include hair metal and indie rock (though it's gotten whiter since the mid-'90s.) Most popular '80s genres, like new wave and hair metal, are oh-so-white.

The most urban decade, I'd say is the '70s, followed by the '00s.

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/12/06 at 8:28 pm

The most urban decade, I'd say is the '70s, followed by the '00s.

The '90s were very urban in a more "raw" way, though. '00s urban culture picks up so much of the white suburban glam-rap version of urban culture now mass-produced among 17 year olds. But the '70s were by far the blackest and most urban decade. It's funny how people are influenced by their parents, most "urban-loving" suburban teens of the '00s have parents who are children of the '70s.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/12/06 at 8:29 pm

The '90s were very urban in a more "raw" way, though. '00s urban culture picks up so much of the white suburban glam-rap version of urban culture now mass-produced among 17 year olds. But the '70s were by far the blackest and most urban decade. It's funny how people are influenced by their parents, most "urban-loving" suburban teens of the '00s have parents who are children of the '70s.

Yeah, the '90s urban seemed more authentic.  Personally the decade seemed more suburban to me.  The '00s seem like the decade of the smaller city.

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/12/06 at 8:30 pm

Yeah, the '90s urban seemed more authentic.  Personally the decade seemed more suburban to me.  The '00s seem like the decade of the smaller city.

It's hard to classify decades like that, though. It's more where the culture is coming from...this decade it's coming from smaller cities. The '80s it was coming from suburban areas.

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/12/06 at 8:34 pm

The 90s were the decade of gangsta-rap...but they also saw a renewed interest in the city cities as vibrant, cosmpolitan centres of culture (this was mainly in suburbanised countries like Australia, Canada, NZ, the US). Everything city became 'chic'...the 'gangsta-rap' movement was in a way the flip-side to that. I think in the coming years we'll see a more inner city orientated, neo-Bohemian movement...

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/12/06 at 8:36 pm

The 90s were the decade of gangsta-rap...but they also saw a renewed interest in the city cities as vibrant, cosmpolitan centres of culture (this was mainly in suburbanised countries like Australia, Canada, NZ, the US). Everything city became 'chic'...the 'gangsta-rap' movement was in a way the flip-side to that. I think in the coming years we'll see a more inner city orientated, neo-Bohemian movement...

That's called gentrification, sweetie, and I despise it.

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/12/06 at 8:41 pm

Don't tell me, a semi-expert in the subject what it's called. I know it's called gentrificaition...not everyone else does anyway. Don't mind me, I can get quite defensive over things like this  ;D.

Yes, it's not to everyone's taste. But in cases I think it's a positive. Living in NJ you pbly see quite a few urban slums, and you realise it takes money to repair them, make them haif-decent...like it or not, that money has to come from rich yuppies. Though I support the move to integrate more public housing/affordable housing into these inner city estates, for it is often the more disadvantaged who require inner-city housing. The land values in those places are often unnaturally low due to the poor quality of the housing.

But in traditional communities, if the money etc. is available, and the community can get enough support, it is usually preferable to try and restore the decaying tenements as housing for locals.

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/12/06 at 8:50 pm

Don't tell me, a semi-expert in the subject what it's called. I know it's called gentrificaition...not everyone else does anyway. Don't mind me, I can get quite defensive over things like this  ;D.

Yes, it's not to everyone's taste. But in cases I think it's a positive. Living in NJ you pbly see quite a few urban slums, and you realise it takes money to repair them, make them haif-decent...like it or not, that money has to come from rich yuppies. Though I support the move to integrate more public housing/affordable housing into these inner city estates, for it is often the more disadvantaged who require inner-city housing. The land values in those places are often unnaturally low due to the poor quality of the housing.

But in traditional communities, if the money etc. is available, and the community can get enough support, it is usually preferable to try and restore the decaying tenements as housing for locals.

It's also a different case in Jersey than down under...

Gentrification around here means you kick out the people who originally live in disadvantaged areas, put them in worse housing, and add a Starbucks and a bunch of yuppies and totally sanitize the area. And a bunch of hipsters and "nice" boutiques, and destroy all the area's character. And then build condos. Lots and lots of condos.

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/12/06 at 8:53 pm

It's also a different case in Jersey than down under...

Gentrification around here means you kick out the people who originally live in disadvantaged areas, put them in worse housing, and add a Starbucks and a bunch of yuppies and totally sanitize the area. And a bunch of hipsters and "nice" boutiques, and destroy all the area's character. And then build condos. Lots and lots of condos.

Yes, I have heard the term 'gentrification' has a different meaning over in the States, and it's largely negative. What then, in your opinion, would be the best alternative to gentrification?

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/12/06 at 9:02 pm

Yes, I have heard the term 'gentrification' has a different meaning over in the States, and it's largely negative. What then, in your opinion, would be the best alternative to gentrification?

Add jobs to the poor areas and make them middle-class.

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/12/06 at 9:05 pm

Add jobs to the poor areas and make them middle-class.

How could you just magically 'add' jobs to make a place middle class? The first thing you have to do is actually make it amiable and attractive to ATTRACT businesses to the place...that's where you have to start. It's a bit like that here in Perth; it took gentrification - or I prefer the term 'Urban Renewal', to start up businesses in these areas. And as you know the service sector is becoming increasingly important. So it's easy and well to say just 'add' jobs, but it often has to come at a cost.

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/12/06 at 9:11 pm

How could you just magically 'add' jobs to make a place middle class? The first thing you have to do is actually make it amiable and attractive to ATTRACT businesses to the place...that's where you have to start. It's a bit like that here in Perth; it took gentrification - or I prefer the term 'Urban Renewal', to start up businesses in these areas. And as you know the service sector is becoming increasingly important. So it's easy and well to say just 'add' jobs, but it often has to come at a cost.

Service sector jobs are what keep these people impoverished.

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/12/06 at 9:16 pm

How so?

It's the changing nature of the economy...you can't help that.

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/12/06 at 9:17 pm

How so?

It's the changing nature of the economy...you can't help that.

Yes, you can. The McDonald's jobs that have kept them down have been doing so for like 50 years.

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/12/06 at 9:24 pm

Yes, you can. The McDonald's jobs that have kept them down have been doing so for like 50 years.

I think you're getting confused with the chicken and the egg. It's not working at below minimum wage jobs like Maccas which is keeping them down, but they are also so down they have no other choice. Before it might have been working at a sweat-shop or a factory, now it happens to be at a fast food restaurant. What probably needs to be done is public education, awareness of the opportunities, and more opportunities for these people.

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/12/06 at 9:25 pm

I think you're getting confused with the chicken and the egg. It's not working at below minimum wage jobs like Maccas which is keeping them down, but they are also so down they have no other choice. Before it might have been working at a sweat-shop or a factory, now it happens to be at a fast food restaurant. What probably needs to be done is public education, awareness of the opportunities, and more opportunities for these people.

Actually, they were honestly better off previously working in the factories when they first came north. And have been impoverished for like forty years.

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/12/06 at 9:30 pm

Actually, they were honestly better off previously working in the factories when they first came north. And have been impoverished for like forty years.

Though it's not stated explicity, I assume we are referring mainly to African Americans. In which case, in many ways the poverty has been more obvious because other socio-economic groups have progressively improved their lot, while many black neighbourhoods like Harlem or Trenton, NJ remained a stand-still. But believe me, a large proportion of these communities have been impoverished since they migrated to the factories.

Written By: Roadgeek on 04/12/06 at 10:02 pm

Hate to break into it like this, but I started this topic to talk about 1989 and not political arguments.

As for 1989, I wish I were around for most of the '80s. I lived in the '80s, but only for about a month.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/12/06 at 10:27 pm

Hate to break into it like this, but I started this topic to talk about 1989 and not political arguments.

As for 1989, I wish I were around for most of the '80s. I lived in the '80s, but only for about a month.

That's better than being born in January 1990  ;)

Written By: rich1981 on 04/12/06 at 11:38 pm

Not my favorite 80's year as I had a bad teacher experience, but nostalgic nontheless as I was entering third grade.

Written By: Chris MegatronTHX on 04/13/06 at 5:27 am

We walked around EVERY single day, saying "this is 1989!", or "these are the late 80s!!"

;)

I know for me, not a day goes by that I don't stop someone and remind them that these are the '00s.  "hey dude, this is 2006!"

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 04/13/06 at 3:03 pm

I swear I remember seeing a thread like this before, but I guess I'll talk a bit on here about 1989.

I can't pinpoint a lot of things that I remember about 1989, but some things stick out. Of course, as a California resident, the Loma Prieta Earthquake in October was very memorable. I have never forgotten that day. I was in roller skating that year. I started 2nd grade that fall. I remember being sick a lot. I always got tonsillitis, strep or scarlet fever. I think that year I got all three - esp. tonsillitis. I almost had to get my tonsils out due to my 3rd and actually last bout of it. Whew :0)

Written By: Nostalgic on 04/14/06 at 1:28 am

Hmmm, let's see ...

Here are some major events of 1989:

Japan's Emperor Hirohito dies
George Bush Sr. is inaugurated president of the USA
The tanker "Exxon Valdez" runs aground at Prince William Sound, creating possibly the worst oil spill ever
More than a thousand pro-democracy demonstrators are killed by Chinese troops at Beijing's Tienanmen Square, after days of protests
Hurricane Hugo strikes southeastern United States, killing at least 71 people and around $8 billion in damages
Iran's Ayatollah Khomeini dies
An earthquake near San Francisco claims 62 lives and around $7 billion in damages
Hockey star Wayne Gretzky of the L.A. Kings becomes the leading scorer in N.H.A. history
Communist leaders in East Germany, Czechoslovakia and Bulgaria resign after weeks of pro-democracy demonstrations
The Berlin Wall opens and is eventually dismantled
The USA invades Panama and installs a government headed by Guillermo Endara

The top 20 movies of 1989:

1 Batman $251.190
2 The Last Crusade $197.172
3 Lethal Weapon 2 $147.254
4 Look Who's Talking $140.089
5 Honey, Shrunk The Kids $130.724
6 Back To The Future 2 $118.500
7 Ghostbusters 2 $112.495
8 Little Mermaid $111.500
9 Driving Miss Daisy $106.593
10 Parenthood $100.050
11 Dead Poets' Society  $95.86
12 When Harry Met Sally  $92.82
13 War Of The Roses  $86.89
14 Steel Magnolias  $83.76
15 Christmas Vacation  $71.32
16 Turner & Hooch  $71.08
17 Born On The Fourth Of July  $70.00
18 Uncle Buck  $66.76
19 Field of Dreams  $64.43
20 Harlem Nights  $60.87

Source.

The top 20 songs of 1989:

1.  LOOK AWAY - Chicago
2.  MY PREROGATIVE - Bobby Brown
3.  EVERY ROSE HAS ITS THORN - Poison
4.  STRAIGHT UP - Paula Abdul
5.  MISS YOU MUCH - Janet Jackson
6.  COLD HEARTED - Paula Abdul
7.  WIND BENEATH MY WINGS - Bette Midler
8.  GIRL YOU KNOW IT'S TRUE - Milli Vanilli
9.  BABY, I LOVE YOUR WAY c/w FREEBIRD MEDLEY - Will To Power
10.  GIVING YOU THE BEST THAT I GOT - Anita Baker
11.  RIGHT HERE WAITING - Richard Marx
12.  WAITING FOR A STAR TO FALL - Boy Meets Girl
13.  LOST IN YOUR EYES - Debbie Gibson
14.  DON'T WANNA LOSE YOU - Gloria Estefan
15.  HEAVEN - Warrant
16.  GIRL I'M GONNA MISS YOU - Milli Vanilli
17.  THE LOOK - Roxette
18.  SHE DRIVES ME CRAZY - Fine Young Cannibals
19.  ON YOUR OWN - Bobby Brown
20.  TWO HEARTS - Phil Collins

Source.

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/14/06 at 1:33 am

I'm starting to think 80s and even 90s pop charts were as bad as the 00s...

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/14/06 at 2:10 am

Even oldies has bad pop charts.

Written By: OliverDK on 04/14/06 at 3:49 am

For me the mid-80s stand out as the best time, but not doubt '89 was a cool year too, I turned eighteen in November (The day the
Berlin Wall fell infact) so I finally got old enough to drink legally, which of cause meant more parties and Friday/Saturday nights became more than hanging out in front of Burger King on the Strip.

I would agree in principle that '89 wasn't so different from the '00s, okay my computer was called Amiga 500, CD-players cost as much as a small motorcycle and mobile phones were everything but mobile, my dad's first was around 5lb, but someone transported from '89 to '06 would feel as out of place as someone from 1939 would.

I think the main difference between '89 and '06 is in the way people think, it's kinda hard to get down in writing but most people you meet today are stupid, violent creatures who don't believe in actually changing the world, instead the launch witch-hunts against everyone who doesn't fit into their world.

People in '89 the So-What generation, but technically that label belongs to the current generation, remember how you felt when you saw Live Aid in '86, compare that to the feeling you had when you saw Live8, that

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 04/14/06 at 12:21 pm

Really mainstream music's never been that great. The 50's-00's have all had there fair share of bad songs.

Written By: Electric Youth on 04/14/06 at 1:55 pm

13.  LOST IN YOUR EYES - Debbie Gibson

8)  :)

One of the most underappreciated artists of the '80's and one of the best pop ballad from the '80's

Though Milli Vanilli is the blame for the downfall of pop music

Don't mind New Kids, but boybands sux

Written By: batfan2005 on 04/14/06 at 6:56 pm

So would you say that 1989 was the best year for movies?

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 04/14/06 at 7:53 pm

No way, music was much more varied than it is now. There's hardly any of that nowadays.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/14/06 at 11:42 pm

No way, music was much more varied than it is now. There's hardly any of that nowadays.

Even as late as 2000, I remember the music being much more various, even with the teen pop.  It seems like 2001 is when the pop charts became 100% teenbopper garbage.

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/15/06 at 2:39 am

Even as late as 2000, I remember the music being much more various, even with the teen pop.  It seems like 2001 is when the pop charts became 100% teenbopper garbage.

What can we blame that on? Changing demographics? Perhaps older teens are beginning to (I stress 'beginning') turn their backs on the charts? No, I don't think that's happening. It's probably a number of factors.

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/15/06 at 4:18 am

I think it was sometime around when I was in 6th or 7th grade.

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/15/06 at 4:38 am

I think it was sometime around when I was in 6th or 7th grade.

The late 90s were the height of teeny-bopperness...

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/15/06 at 5:06 am

The late 90s were the height of teeny-bopperness...

I meant in terms of garbage.

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/15/06 at 5:07 am

I'd argue the Backstreet Boys were garbage

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 04/17/06 at 11:59 am

Yeah, the pop charts used to be more varied even 6 years ago than now.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/17/06 at 2:00 pm

Yeah, the pop charts used to be more varied even 6 years ago than now.

I know.  Could you imagine a song like "Smooth" by Satana being popular today.  Or "All Star" by Smash Mouth?  Those songs are almost classics now.

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/17/06 at 2:04 pm

I know.  Could you imagine a song like "Smooth" by Satana being popular today.  Or "All Star" by Smash Mouth?  Those songs are almost classics now.

Or "Torn" by Natalie Imbruglia...

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/17/06 at 2:06 pm

Or "Torn" by Natalie Imbruglia...

Don't recall that one ... but like, even "Bitch" by Meredith Brooks wouldn't be popular today.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 04/17/06 at 3:03 pm

It's weird to think of those songs as classics as they've been playing non-stop for the last 10 years, yet they still sound relatively "new", like definetly not 80's sounding, but more of the style we're used to listening today.

It was interesting to watch "Phenomenon" last night and hear the song "Change The World" by Babyface and Eric Clapton and being able to hear that dated feeling when hearing it.

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/17/06 at 3:07 pm

....Currently bracing myself for '90s pop compilations in the '10s. Will buy many of them. Yeah, the whole women in rock movement fizzled out. "Bitch" by Meredith Brooks, "How Am I Different?" and "Save Me" by Aimee Mann, Sarah MacLachlan, and "Torn" would not be popular today. Neither would stuff like Sixpence None the Richer and the Goo Goo Dolls.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 04/17/06 at 4:39 pm

Don't recall that one ... but like, even "Bitch" by Meredith Brooks wouldn't be popular today.

In regards to "Torn" by Natalie Imbruglia -
This song was very, very popular. The video was good, too. The song was fairly good, but she has better stuff than that one.

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/17/06 at 5:16 pm

In regards to "Torn" by Natalie Imbruglia -
This song was very, very popular. The video was good, too. The song was fairly good, but she has better stuff than that one.

I liked "One More Addiction" alot, actually.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 04/17/06 at 5:26 pm

I liked "One More Addiction" alot, actually.

Uh oh, I actually don't remember that one.. Yet, I may have to listen to that to see if I do or not.

... Back to 1989, I was just looking at a website that was recommended here on the 80's board callled youtube.com and found some old clips of the 1989 Earthquake coverage. Very interesting to see it 17 years later from a much different perspective than being 7 years old and seeing it.

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/17/06 at 6:36 pm

Uh oh, I actually don't remember that one.. Yet, I may have to listen to that to see if I do or not.

... Back to 1989, I was just looking at a website that was recommended here on the 80's board callled youtube.com and found some old clips of the 1989 Earthquake coverage. Very interesting to see it 17 years later from a much different perspective than being 7 years old and seeing it.

I'd want to do that now for the 1997 Monica Lewinsky scandal.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 04/17/06 at 6:40 pm

I'd want to do that now for the 1997 Monica Lewinsky scandal.

Yeah, you were around 7 that year, huh?

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/17/06 at 6:46 pm

Yeah, you were around 7 that year, huh?

Yeah, I remember catching bits and pieces of it from skimming through the newspaper. I think I got most of it from political cartoons and overhearing stuff.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 04/17/06 at 6:50 pm

Yeah, I remember catching bits and pieces of it from skimming through the newspaper. I think I got most of it from political cartoons and overhearing stuff.

Yeah, it was such a BIG deal. It got annoying after awhile, too. But it was great for a good joke, at the expense of our president.  ;D

Written By: 5*19*86 on 04/20/06 at 2:16 am

Roadgeek, I'll help you out a little.  You say you were Born on November 27th, 1989?  Here's a little bit of Pop-Culture History from that Day/Week

Top 40 Songs in America (November 27th, 1989)

40: When The Night Comes - Joe Cocker
39: Rock And A Hard Place - Rolling Stones
38: This One's For The Children - New Kids On The Block
37: I Live By THe Groove - Paul Carrack
36: Me So Horny - 2 Live Crew
35: How Am I Suppose To Live Without You - Michael Bolton
34: Swing The Mood - Jive Bunny & The Mastermixers
33: Rock Wit'cha - Bobby Brown
32: The Arms Of Orion - Prince with Sheena Easton
31: Sowing The Seeds Of Love - Tears For Fears
30: Oh Father - Madonna
29: Just Between You And Me - Lou Gramm
28: Cover Girl - New Kids On The Block
27: Everything - Jody Watley
26: The Angel Song - Great White
25: Just Like Jesse James - Cher
24: Love Song - Tesla
23: Miss You Much - Janet Jackson
22: The Last Worthless Evening - Don Henley
21: Don't Make Me Over - Sybil
20: Rhythm Nation - Janet Jackson
19: Didn't I (Blow Your Mind) - New Kids On The Block
18: Pump Up The Jam - Technotronic
17: Don't Shut Me Out - Kevin Paige
16: Listen To Your Heart - Roxette
15: Living In Sin - Bon Jovi
14: With Every Beat Of My Heart - Taylor Dayne
13: Leave A Light On - Belinda Carlisle
12: Don't Close Your Eyes - Kix
11: Get On Your Feet - Gloria Estefan
10: Another Day In Paradise - Phil Collins
9: Don't Know Much - Linda Ronstadt featuring Aaron Neville
8: Back To Life (Back to Reality) - Soul II Soul
7: Poison - Alice Cooper
6: Angelia - Richard Marx
5: When I See You Smile - Bad English
4: We Didn't Start The Fire - Billy Joel
3: The Love Shack - The B52's
2: (It's Just) The Way That You Love Me - Paula Abdul
1: Blame It On The Rain - Milli Vanilli

Top 10 Movies at the Box-Office (November 27th, 1989)

1: "Back To The Future II"
2: "Harlem Nights"
3: "The Little Mermaid"
4: "Look Who's Talking"
5: "Steel Magnolias"
6: "All Dogs Go To Heaven"
7: "Prancer"
8: "Dad"
9: "The Bear"
10: "Crimes and Misdemeanors"

Written By: 5*19*86 on 04/20/06 at 3:20 am

Anyway, my thoughts on 1989...

I was Born in 1986, so I barely remember 1989 at all, but over the years I have studied the 80's closely and the pop-culture of it all.  Overall, 1989 is easily one of my favorite years from the 80's

You had cool movies like "Batman", "Back To The Future II", "Ghostbusters II", "Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade", "Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure", "Honey I Shrunk The Kids" and "Weekend At Bernie's"

Good songs like "Smooth Criminal" by Michael Jackson, "She Drives Me Crazy" by Fine Young Cannibals, "Wild Thing" by Tone Loc, "Free Fallin'" by Tom Petty and "Me So Horny" by 2 Live Crew  ;)

The weird thing is that I usually have a certain feeling/emotion for every year from the 80's and 90's, and everytime I think of 1989, I think of it as a Creepy/Scary Year.  I don't even really know why.  Just the whole atmosphere of it seems to creep me out like deep in the woods at night  ;D

Man, I'm Weird

Check for new replies or respond here...