inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: First MTV video you ever saw

Written By: Carl on 04/13/06 at 11:14 am

Now we all know the first video ever PLAYED, being the Buggles 'Video Killed The Radio Star', but what was the first one you remember seeing, which led you to be a avid viewer of the channel.

My first was in '82 watching The J. Geils Band's 'Freeze Frame' video, after that, I remember seeing The Boomtown Rats 'Up All Night' one. I was hooked on MTV after that.

Subject: Re: First MTV video you ever saw

Written By: whistledog on 04/13/06 at 1:22 pm

We didn't have MTV here in Canada.  We had our own version called "Much Music" and one of the first videos I can remember seeing was from a Canadian hit called "Can't Stand Still" by the Extras.  It was an animated video that featured a cat being thrown out of bars and clubs all over town

Written By: Carl on 04/13/06 at 1:35 pm

Oh right! I remember you mentioning this once on another post. I can't recall if I brought this topic up before though. LOL! Anyway, that video I have never heard of, nor the band.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 04/13/06 at 2:25 pm

Being born the year after MTV debuted, I was always exposed to it from the day I could remember. I don't remember a lot of videos except for Dexy's Midnight Riders "Come on Eileen" and Whitney Houstons "I Wanna Dance With Somebody" which was circa 1986/87. Later on, I had a vivid memory of seeing George Harrison's "Got My Mind Set On You" and absolutely loving the song and the video.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/13/06 at 3:14 pm

Only the Lonely-The Motels. That was on MTV but I remember seeing Meatloaf's Paradise by the Dashboard Light someplace else before MTV debuted.

Cat

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/13/06 at 4:50 pm

I know I've told the story on here before, but the first video I saw was the one that also scared the **** out of me (even though I always liked the song, LOL) -- "Don't Come Around Here No More" by Tom Petty.

After that, while I did see a few videos on MTV periodically, I didn't get into it alot until late 1990 or early '91 when I was around 9. By then, MTV was more into rap and heavy metal, etc. so I always preferred VH1.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 04/13/06 at 5:08 pm

Little Red Corvette by Prince

Written By: loki 13 on 04/13/06 at 5:33 pm

I saw the first video shown, Aug. 1, 1981 at 12:01 am.With all the hype that led up to
it I had to watch it.Oddly, of all the other videos they have shown, the only one that sticks
in my mind was "Fish Heads".

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 04/13/06 at 5:41 pm

And who could forget "Thriller" and all the other Michael Jackson videos. I remember them playing his "Bad" video, now that I think about it. Also Weird Al's "Fat" video shortly thereafter was always a hilarious thing to watch.

Written By: Windbreaker05 on 04/13/06 at 6:09 pm

I didn't see any in the 80's, but I'll share this anyway (but if this causes the thread to get moved I am going to poke someone with a whittled stick for hours)

The first video I can remember seeing that was current when I saw it was "Basket Case" by Green Day from 1994. The first "classic" video I remember seeing is "Sledgehammer" by Peter Gabriel from 1986.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 04/13/06 at 8:16 pm

I don't remember.  We didn't get cable in our home until the late 80s, and I didn't watch MTV until the early 90s, so I'm guessing probably something by Janet Jackson.  :-\\

Written By: zcrito on 04/13/06 at 9:12 pm

I too don't remember the first MTV video I ever saw but these are some of the very early ones I do remember

I Ran (So Far Away) -- A Flock Of Seagulls
Shock The Monkey -- Peter Gabriel
Steppin' Out -- Joe Jackson

(All from 1982)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/14/06 at 3:39 pm

I too don't remember the first MTV video I ever saw but these are some of the very early ones I do remember

I Ran (So Far Away) -- A Flock Of Seagulls
Shock The Monkey -- Peter Gabriel
Steppin' Out -- Joe Jackson

(All from 1982)

I had the song "Steppin' Out" in my head for the past several days and I don't know why. I must have heard it on the radio just recently.

Cat

Written By: Arkitekt on 04/14/06 at 3:45 pm

The first video I remember seeing was the Tom Petty video where he's cutting up the cake girl... or the girl cake...  This might have been mentioned before but I can't recall the name of the song.  Either way, it was a bit disturbing... in a "I need to see more of this!" kind of way.  Unfortunatly, the next one I remember was Prince's Raspberry Barrett...

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/14/06 at 5:41 pm

The first video I remember seeing was the Tom Petty video where he's cutting up the cake girl... or the girl cake...  This might have been mentioned before but I can't recall the name of the song.  Either way, it was a bit disturbing... in a "I need to see more of this!" kind of way.  Unfortunatly, the next one I remember was Prince's Raspberry Barrett...

"Don't come around here no more" (The song-not you.  ;) ;D )

Cat

Written By: Allie Fox on 04/25/06 at 11:41 am

I was in one of the few cable markets that had Mtv when it debuted.  I remember staying up to see what the heck it was after seeing the place card, "Coming Soon - Mtv Music Television" for about a month prior to its arrival.

To answer the questions directly, "Video Killed The Radio Star."

Written By: lleelee on 04/25/06 at 8:58 pm

The first video I seen on MTV was Rosanna by TOTO in 1982. When we first got cable the channel stayed mostly on HBO or CINEMAX and of course our local channels. No one in my neighborhood talked about MTV. So alot kids like me watched only what their parents watched. One day I was flipping channels and I came across MTV. I wasnt that excited about it, I know I became more interested in 1983 after Micheal Jackson breakthrough.

Written By: Watcher29 on 04/26/06 at 7:28 am

I don't know as I have ever actually seen MTV. I don't appear to be missing much these days.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 04/26/06 at 8:33 am

[quote author=wһіѕ

Written By: vinyl lover on 04/27/06 at 1:21 am

"eat it", by weird al :D

Written By: Carl on 04/27/06 at 7:53 am

I don't know as I have ever actually seen MTV. I don't appear to be missing much these days.

No, you're not, trust me!!

Written By: Jeffpcmt on 04/27/06 at 8:34 am

As I recall it had to be "The Stroke" by Billy Squier. 

Written By: gmann on 04/28/06 at 8:56 am

We didn't have cable in my neighborhood until a couple of years after MTV made its debut. First vid I saw was The Eurythmics "Sweet Dreams" in '83. I remember my next door neighbor's kid asking me if I thought Annie Lennox was cute. Not with that ultra-short hair, no.  :)

Written By: stingr22 on 05/01/06 at 4:12 pm

I didn't catch the first video, but a couple hours later, Pat Benatar's "Hit Me With Your Best Shot" was on.  We used to have a TV show that played videos 2 hours a night, pre-MTV.  Once MTV came on the air, I didn't think I would ever have to change the channel again!

Now of course, you have a better chance of winning the lottery than catching actual music videos on Music Television!  >:(

http://www.geocities.com/yardjock/mtv.jpg

Check for new replies or respond here...